Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
3 a week, only 3 outstanding reservations at a time as well.

If going to the movies is a weekly routine for you, it's sort of a no brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
gotdamn how is this sustainable

spoiler: it's not, and clearly i need to gettin while the moviepass marketshare scramble gettin is good

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alan Smithee posted:

spoiler: it's not, and clearly i need to gettin while the moviepass marketshare scramble gettin is good

I think it's probably sustainable for AMC, Moviepass had to pay movie theaters the full ticket price, it doesn't actually cost AMC anything to give people free tickets to their own theaters. Almost no showings completely sell out so it's not like they miss out on someone else's 15 bucks or whatever.

A huge chunk of the subscribers are probably people who do use it enough that it saves them money, but if they didn't have it they probably wouldn't go to movies as often, and also wouldn't always go to AMC, and I bet they spend more on concessions than they would otherwise since the ticket was "free"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I saw a Lichtensteinish style movie that was a collage of comic book images which I could've sworn was called "66" and by a guy named Louis Kler a couple years ago, but I can't find a goddamned thing about it online, I must be misremembering something

Any help?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Alan Smithee posted:

It's ok, they upped their concession prices and offerings at the same time. My wife and I rarely buy concessions or pay the outrageous amount of a burger delivered to your seat, but we see people frequently getting orders, so someone obviously is.

On the plus side, they give you a free large drink and popcorn on your birthday month with A List so that's a pretty solid deal. And your subscription and concession purchases are still counted towards getting a $5 credit here and there.

That said, if we had a good theater experience like an Alamo Drafthouse by us, I'd be only putting my money there, deal or no.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i can't even think of a movie i want to see until july i can't envision going to the movies 3 times a week.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i can't even think of a movie i want to see until july i can't envision going to the movies 3 times a week.

Oh, the quality of movies drops significantly when you’re using some sort of subscription service for the cinema. You’ll go see something that barely escaped being direct-to-video to get your money’s worth.

That’s how you end up seeing something like David Hayter’s Wolves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMX7OpDDWSE

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

This was the reason Moviepass was wasted on me. Turns out cost wasn't the barrier between me and more theatrical viewings.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, as services where I pay a flat fee to watch garbage I wouldn't individually pay for go, Netflix is a hell of a lot more convenient than the AMC movie pass thing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The worst movie I saw because of my Moviepass was Downsizing. No regerts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The worst movie I saw because of my Moviepass was Downsizing. No regerts.

I totally forgot about that movie, and that goes double for the fact that it was directed by Alexander Payne of all people.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

What the gently caress was the point of that stupid loving movie? I don’t think anyone making that movie knew what they wanted it to be. Nice gimmick idea but there wasn’t anything left after that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Is that the one with Tiny Matt Damon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's a really weird movie that meanders in an odd way. I kept thinking, "Oh this is what this movie is!" But then it would totally change directions. Then it just sort of ended.

And I'm a huge A Payne fanboy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I like how it is about that in every utopia there still have to be people doing the dirty work. The trailer definitely gave you the idea that the movie was half “Matt Damon decides to become small” and half “Matt Damon has to get used to chilling in tiny paradise”.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is that the one with Tiny Matt Damon.

We're gonna get him a tiny little panini.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
and tiny allergy spray if he gets bitten by a bee

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

A tiny bee or a big regular sized bee?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I liked the sound of the wife backing out at the last minute twist in Downsizing, it's just a shame that they apparently didn't do much with it. I was hoping for something along these lines (NSFW?)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

feedmyleg posted:

I liked the sound of the wife backing out at the last minute twist in Downsizing

Yeah, they showed up to that point in the trailer and so that's where I thought the film was heading and was genuinely enjoying it. Hell, I would've been happy without that twist too as it was a super fun concept but that veer into a new direction was interesting and worked for it.

Then it veered into another totally different direction another 20 minutes later, and it was still interesting as it explored a different aspect of the world.

Then it did another loving massive plot change about 20 minutes after that, and I just got completely burnt out on it.

Like, just find a story and stick to it not be the ADHD Movie Experience. Such a wasted opportunity for a film that set up such an interesting world for at least the first 45 minutes.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah I’ve seen bad movies before and they don’t irritate me as much because this could have been something interesting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

It’s better suited to people who will just see anything. I only see a movie in theaters if I’m too excited to wait, or if a friend drags me. Usually the latter.

My buddy who has the AMC pass uses it a couple of times a week and just sees whatever crap is playing. Sounds tedious as hell to me but he loves it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's a shame that a scheme that seems to exist to undercut ticket revenue to sell more snacks is run by a theater chain with such lousy popcorn.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

veni veni veni posted:

It’s better suited to people who will just see anything. I only see a movie in theaters if I’m too excited to wait, or if a friend drags me. Usually the latter.

My buddy who has the AMC pass uses it a couple of times a week and just sees whatever crap is playing. Sounds tedious as hell to me but he loves it.

Friend of mine used their unlimited card to see iron man and I think star trek about a dozen times each, mainly because that summer was a ridiculous heat wave here and the cinema has good air conditioning.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does James Franco take really bad acting gigs as a joke or something? I was just watching the trailer for some lifetime original quality horror film called The Institute starring him. Hasn't he been in stuff like this multiple times now?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

veni veni veni posted:

Does James Franco take really bad acting gigs as a joke or something? I was just watching the trailer for some lifetime original quality horror film called The Institute starring him. Hasn't he been in stuff like this multiple times now?

He was in dozens of episodes of General Hospital, after he was a famous movie star. He does weird roles just for the hell of it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Franco seems like one of those guys who just seems to really enjoy working, even though he's had "gently caress you" money for years now.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It's not like better actors than James Franco don't do this too

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Name one better actor than James Franco. :colbert:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Enos Cabell posted:

Name one better actor than James Franco. :colbert:

Dave Franco

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It’s so weird seeing actors you recognize in soaps after they’re already famous. There are a shitload of great actors who got their start in soaps, but they never go back to them.

A soap my wife watches had Bud from Married With Children on for a short stint. I still don’t know if he was supposed to be a special guest or if that’s the only work he can get now.

Aaaaaand looking him up on IMDB he’s mostly making basic cable shark movies so it’s probably the only work he can get now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Coaaab posted:

It's not like better actors than James Franco don't do this too

Who else does this?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Walken

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Julia roberts brother?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

got any sevens posted:

Julia roberts brother?

The fact that you don't know his name leads me to believe that he is probably not doing it by choice.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Nobody *quite* does it like Franco. It's not just "oh taking any role because I'm rich enough to do what just seems fun." The very act of working (on any other art form too... not just acting) is like the very fiber of his being. He just has to work.

Go listen to his interview with Marc Maron. It's great.

The soap opera stuff started as research for a role and he said they would have "Franco Fridays" where they'd just one take wonder poo poo and get up to 80 pages shot in a single day because they only had one day with him. It's crazy as hell.

He did two Faulkner movies in Mississippi almost as a stretching his legs exercise. He just makes poo poo and doesn't care whether it's good or what. By the time it's out he's already well into caring about something else.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Julia roberts brother?

Hardest working man in showbizz. He’s a hoarder, he collects IMDB credits.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mierenneuker posted:

Hardest working man in showbizz. He’s a hoarder, he collects IMDB credits.

you're talking about him :smug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Doesn't James Franco continually take college courses? Dude has like a million class credits by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s so weird seeing actors you recognize in soaps after they’re already famous. There are a shitload of great actors who got their start in soaps, but they never go back to them.

A soap my wife watches had Bud from Married With Children on for a short stint. I still don’t know if he was supposed to be a special guest or if that’s the only work he can get now.

Aaaaaand looking him up on IMDB he’s mostly making basic cable shark movies so it’s probably the only work he can get now.

He's been trying to get a MWC sequel going for some time now to no avail.