Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Doesn't James Franco continually take college courses? Dude has like a million class credits by now.

Taking college classes well into your 30s is a good way to meet college chicks if you're a creepo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
franco is 41, somehow

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Since the Michael Myers mask is a repurposed Captain Kirk mask, do William Shatner and/or whoever owns the rights to Star Trek get paid for the Halloween movies?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So I just rewatched Constantine (the Keanu Reeves flick), did they find a cross shaped pool or build a set with one?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

Since the Michael Myers mask is a repurposed Captain Kirk mask, do William Shatner and/or whoever owns the rights to Star Trek get paid for the Halloween movies?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Why did the "default" aspect ratio for films change from 1.33:1 to 1.37:1 in the early 30s? I can't imagine it was for artistic reasons since the difference is so minor you generally won't notice unless you have a side-by-side comparison. Was it more cost-effective somehow?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
If I had to guess, it would be because of that additional strip of sound information for the talkies, but I'm sure someone like Egbert would be able to fill everyone in on the technical details.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Why did the "default" aspect ratio for films change from 1.33:1 to 1.37:1 in the early 30s? I can't imagine it was for artistic reasons since the difference is so minor you generally won't notice unless you have a side-by-side comparison. Was it more cost-effective somehow?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_ratio
Sound is the reason they had to change something, but why they settled on 1.37 isn't clear from the wiki article.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This video explains lots about aspect ratios:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgrMsjGk7k

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Most films were 1.33:1 through the 1920s, which is standard full aperture 35mm. 1.37:1 was a modification of the sound-on-film aspect ratio of 1.19:1 due to the image being cropped to allow for a soundtrack. 1.37:1 matted the top and bottom of the 1.19:1 to make it closer to the silent era aspect ratio. 1.19:1 didn't last long (besides shorts and experiments, 1927 to 1933-ish).

Some studios like Warner Bros. generally didn't shoot for 1.19:1 since Vitaphone was visually no different from silents.

It's a complete rats nest of history, but 1.37:1 was probably settled on because it allowed for a thicker buffer for splices. Especially good when Technicolor became popular. Not to mention making it easy for projectionists to center the image since there were thick framelines.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Speaking of 1.19:1, the upcoming horror film The Lighthouse by Robert Eggers (The VVitch) uses that ratio. Black and white too!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Xavier Dolan's 'Mommy' is mostly a 1:1 ratio. It actually looked tall to me, since we've been conditioned to consider 4:3 a square.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Thanks for the answers. Strange to think that we don't know the exact reasoning behind such an important decision, but the buffer explanation sounds reasonable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What’s a film you’ve seen a ton of times but not picked up on an actor in it, maybe because they’ve broken out since you last saw it, or just plain didn’t recognize.

I watched a Spinal Tap yet again tonight and I’ve never picked up that Artie Fufkin (Polymer Records) is Paul Shaffer. I never really watched much Letterman and I don’t think I’ve ever seen him with hair and undoubtedly would never have picked up on it if I didn’t see his name go by in the credits. (I wouldn’t have picked up the mines being Billy Crystal and Dana Carvey either but they’re more extras than anything).

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

EL BROMANCE posted:

What’s a film you’ve seen a ton of times but not picked up on an actor in it, maybe because they’ve broken out since you last saw it, or just plain didn’t recognize.

I watched The Goonies a bunch when I was a kid, then didn't see it for a long time, not until after Josh Brolin started being a star in his own right. When I watched it again, some time after No Country came out and he started to rise, I realized who Brand was.

And just this week, not that I ever watched it much at all, but I learned Jared Harris played the grown up Will Robinson in the Lost In Space movie.

These are both definitely examples of actors that broke out since I saw those films last.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Detective Thompson posted:

And just this week, not that I ever watched it much at all, but I learned Jared Harris played the grown up Will Robinson in the Lost In Space movie.

Complete with absolutely bonkers ADR by some surfer dude.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

LesterGroans posted:

Complete with absolutely bonkers ADR by some surfer dude.

quote:

And the work he’s least proud of? He relaxes at the very question that makes many actors tense up. “I pretty much will disavow Lost in Space because for whatever loving reason they decided to dub half my performance with some other person, and watching it is an abomination. You think how drunk were they when they decided that the audience wouldn’t notice it’s two completely different people even within one line.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/01/jared-harris-chernobyl-the-crown-mad-men-richard

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Michael Shannon in Groundhog Day.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Liar Liar was on TV recently and I realized for the first time that Maura Tierney’s dorky boyfriend is played by Cary Elwes. When I was a kid I watched both it and Robin Hood Men in Tights an ungodly number of times and never made the connection

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Liar Liar was on TV recently and I realized for the first time that Maura Tierney’s dorky boyfriend is played by Cary Elwes. When I was a kid I watched both it and Robin Hood Men in Tights an ungodly number of times and never made the connection

This, except not realizing Robin Wright was in Forrest Gump for the longest time despite being able to quote most of The Princess Bride

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

When I was a kid, my dad pointed out that Han Solo and Indiana Jones were the same guy, and it blew my young mind.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched Dredd when it was in theaters and recognized Lena Heady as the woman from Sarah Conner Chronicles and not Cersai on Game of Thrones, despite being obsessed with GOT at the time. And like a year later it dawned on me while watching GOT lol.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Does anybody know who voices the Guild Navigator at the beginning of David Lynch's Dune? No one is credited and I can't find anywhere online where it is stated.

It sounds to me like it's Kyle MacLachlan (with his voice electronically altered) but I'm not sure. He also does the voice of the narration after Virginia Madsen's for some reason.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

IMDB has this credit:
William Phipps ... Narrator: TV version (uncredited)

e: I guess unless you saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_0uz7e9A6E
that's a no.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 5, 2019

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Teenage Fansub posted:

IMDB has this credit:

that's a no.

Sigh, imagine copyright claiming ancient poo poo like this that all of seven people care about and will never make you another dime.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Teenage Fansub posted:

IMDB has this credit:

that's a no.

No, not that bit. This part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC-I2ijeLlg (For some reason the only one with okay sound on youtube was a fan recreation)

The only thing I can find about who reads it is some guy on reddit also saying it sounds like Kyle MacLachlan.

e: Also for some reason the Guild Navigator's voice is completely different in the Alan Smithee cut.

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 5, 2019

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Does anyone know if John Waters ever wrote at length about the production of Mondo Trasho in any of his books and if so which one? Might be writing about the film soon and hoping to find some more background on it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

When I was a kid we'd tape movies off of HBO. Every time we did it - and no matter what VCR we used - if we played it on any VCR other than the one it was recorded on, it would be in Spanish. If you played it in the VCR it was recorded on, it would play in English. Does anyone know why that happened?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TTBF posted:

When I was a kid we'd tape movies off of HBO. Every time we did it - and no matter what VCR we used - if we played it on any VCR other than the one it was recorded on, it would be in Spanish. If you played it in the VCR it was recorded on, it would play in English. Does anyone know why that happened?

VHS has two audio tracks, named linear and HiFi - typically these are mono and stereo, respectively.. It's possible that the broadcast you were recording had one track in Spanish (probably the linear track) and when you played it on another device it defaulted to that track, or didn't support the HiFi track.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Are FBI piracy warnings and like the ad for Sony Blu-ray Experience that are on DVDs and Blu-rays considered snipes, or does that term just apply to stuff in theaters?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I recently watched Toy Story 3 again and was reminded of the prank some kid played where he edited the movie to end during the incinerator scene and played that version of the movie for his horrified family. I seem to remember someone doing that same prank with another movie, but I can't remember what movie it was and the internet seems to only know about the TS3 prank. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Maybe not a prank, but I believe Dodgeball's original ending had Vince Vaughn getting hit and them losing the match, smash cut to credits.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

couldcareless posted:

Maybe not a prank, but I believe Dodgeball's original ending had Vince Vaughn getting hit and them losing the match, smash cut to credits.
I don't remember how Dodgeball ended or anything else about the movie except the announcers, who were funny, but this ending sounds great.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Edit: dumb post, i red gud

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

OldSenileGuy posted:

I recently watched Toy Story 3 again and was reminded of the prank some kid played where he edited the movie to end during the incinerator scene and played that version of the movie for his horrified family. I seem to remember someone doing that same prank with another movie, but I can't remember what movie it was and the internet seems to only know about the TS3 prank. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

There's the Shawshank Redemption alternate ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5R5XxH-60

According to the thread it was posted in on these very forums ages ago, it was shown like that to some friends who had never seen the movie.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Krankenstyle posted:

There's the Shawshank Redemption alternate ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5R5XxH-60

According to the thread it was posted in on these very forums ages ago, it was shown like that to some friends who had never seen the movie.

YES. This is exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When the hell is the Lighthouse supposed to hit a wide release or streaming? I really want to watch it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How much does a theater pay to get a movie? I'm assuming its in the thousands of dollars.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

How much does a theater pay to get a movie? I'm assuming its in the thousands of dollars.

They pay a split of the BO takings less a fixed sum for overheads (the nut), both of which are highly negotiable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It also depends on the week of release. Studios take a bigger chunk of the first week's box office.

For context, the 1990's Godzilla movie took 60% of that first week's gross. I only remember that because the studio knew it was going to suck and wanted to make as much money as they could that first week. Back then studios got about 40 - 50%. Nowadays it's 50 - 60%. The studio's share decreases with each week the film is in theaters.