Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Biff Rockgroin posted:

This one is kind of a weird one.

What is the biggest/most popular movie not yet released on DVD?

I started wondering when I was remembering how long it took for Star Wars and Indiana Jones to get on DVD.

It's kind of a subjective question though.

Well, just in terms of the amount it gets bandied about, Song of the South has to be pretty high on that list.

Hearts of Darkness has never been released on DVD, has it?

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm going to watch Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima soon, and I'm wondering if it matters which order I watch them in. My wife wants to see FOOF but not LFIJ, so I'd rather just watch LFIJ while waiting for her to have time for FOOF. Are there any specific characters or situations that "cross over" from FOOF that would affect how I perceive LFIJ?

Not that I recall. For what it's worth, Letters from Iowa Jima is ten times the movie that Flags of Our Fathers is.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darth Ballz posted:

I was always of the opinion that Vader was "built" for power...like he was so far superior to every opponent that every battle was over quickly, or, better yet, he was so intimidating and so versed in the force, that battles never started to begin with.

What he wasn't built for is stamina.

I've always seen it that Luke finally lapsed into the Dark Side and attacked with such ferocious power and technique that Vader was simply overwhelmed. Luke backed Vader into the corridor, and then forced him into a weak defensive position -- Vader had no footing, almost no ground in which to retreat, etc.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lao Tsu posted:

While fighting it isn't prowse IIRC, I think it's in Empire and Jedi they had a fighting stunt double.

Right, swordsman Bob Anderson was in the suit for all of the fighting sequences in those movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

twistedmentat posted:

What is a Thinkpak? do you mean Thinpack?

I thought they stopped making those lovely cardboard cases.

He said "Thinpak," not "Thinkpak."

"Thinpak" is the trademarked name for the thin DVD cases that use just enough space to store the disc.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

We Are Citizen posted:

I think he means, why is Matt Murdoch acting as prosecuter in the beginning of Daredevil when for the rest of the movie he is a defense attorney? Also, he is prosecuting a rape case, so why does he refer to the victim as "my client"?

It's a pretty big error. He and Foggy are representing the rape victim, but any rape proceedings would be a criminal trial and therefore the prosecution would be handled by the DA. It's possible that the rape victim is suing Quesada for damages after the fact (like the civil suit against OJ filed by the Goldmans), but even then, there wouldn't be any talks of acquittals or guilty verdicts, simply liability.

There's no way to explain it out of a huge scripting mistake. (Outside of that, I thoroughly enjoy the Director's Cut of the movie.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

twistedmentat posted:

This may be better asked in the marvel thread, but its huge, and it is a general question, but did Marvel sign away the film rights to All Xmen, Fantastic Four, Spider and so on characters to other studios, so they would will not be able to include any characters from those series in any of their own movies?

FOX owns the X-Men film rights for the foreseeable future. I believe Sony recently re-upped with Marvel to retain the Spider-Man rights for another decade. I'm not sure about Fantastic Four. The Daredevil rights are either soon to revert or have already reverted to Marvel Studios.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Re: HEAT (It's been a while since I've seen it, but I think this is how it goes)

Waingro cuts a deal with Van Zant, says he knows how to get De Niro out of the way. Waingro then goes over to Trejo's house, beats the gently caress out of him and gets the information about the robbery, which he then feeds to Van Zant, who then feeds it to the police.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FitFortDanga posted:

Ape Agitator is correct in that almost all sound was added in post. There was a long time when ADR was a whole industry unto itself in Italy. Onscreen actors would be cast specifically for their faces and voice actors would be cast specifically for their voices and regional dialects.

Isn't that basically exactly what happened with Gabriele Ferzetti in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, or was that just a matter of his accent being so goddamn thick that no one could understand a word he was saying?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crowetron posted:

While I'm asking questions, whatever happened to the Halo movie? Was there some specific reason it got canned, or did someone along the line just realize that video game movies suck and nixed the project?

The budget was rapidly escalating out of control (I'm pretty sure it was upwards of $150 million at the time the project was canceled, possibly near $200 million), and then FOX and Universal took a look at the project, had never been confident in Neil Blomkamp (Peter Jackson's hand-picked director) and figured the potential return on the investment was not good. It was quietly shut down, and is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cameo posted:

Yes, but that has Gore Verbinski behind it.

Had.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

Michael Chabon's script for Spider-Man 2 is like this in reverse. I'm sure you can find it out there somewhere.

Oh, man, I remember reading that a few years ago. It's really :psyduck: in comparison to the finished product.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bobkatt013 posted:

Also if there is anything that grew out of Unforgiven was Deadwood. There was no character that was what you would call "good".

I still think the best example of that is The Proposition. Everyone in that movie is a piece of poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

penismightier posted:

Naw I'd pretty much take a bullet for Nick Cave.

As would I, but that movie is great (which surprises me, because I'm not a huge fan of Hillcoat). What don't you like about it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

penismightier posted:

That's what I was saying about The Proposition, too. It's just a hateful little prick of a movie.

Of course, that also describes just about all of Cave's musical output pre-The Boatman's Call in 1997.

I don't agree with your opinion of The Proposition being dark for the sake of dark (I haven't watched it in about eight or nine months, but I remember my initial reaction being that everyone was such a sack of poo poo because they simply had no other choice in the 1880s Outback). It's definitely nasty, though, and it makes me wonder if, like Murder Ballads, it was something that Cave just needed to get out of his system.

I'm glad Hillcoat's adaptation of The Death of Bunny Munro fell through, though. That book is just a complete clusterfuck of :psyduck:.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Voodoofly posted:

Hey now, Christina the Astonishing isn't hateful.

Indeed: It's beautiful. Of course, it comes on the same album as "Papa Won't Leave You, Henry," "When I First Came to Town," "John Finn's Wife" and "Jack the Ripper."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ClydeUmney posted:

Has anyone ever seen the movie The Sicilian Clan? I recorded it off of HBO, and was kind of surprised to find that it's dubbed in English. But I don't know if that's the original release or not. Is there an original version out there, or is this the "official" release?

There's definitely a subtitled version out there, but I don't think it's ever been released in North America.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

What's the deal with Frank Darabont?

The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are both pretty huge movies, obviously Shawshank is the no.1 on iMDb and The Green Mile was a big Tom Hanks movie that got a few Academy Nominations as well.

Now he's mostly just producing TV shows, I mean I guess the Walking Dead is a big deal, but it's just surprising the guy hasn't done more movies. The last movie he directed was the Mist, which aside from being also based on a Stephen King novel, doesn't have that much in common with his other movies in style at all (I know he intentionally wanted that "grubby, documentary" look, so this must have been intentional). It was alright, but not really a huge deal.

The only answer I can see is that The Majestic tanked in 2001, but lots of directors have failures and still have a fairly strong career, so I'm just wondering if there's something else to this story.

Darabont is a bit of an egotistical jackass, especially after all the praise he got for Shawshank and Green Mile, and he's got a reputation for being rather difficult to work with (which is why AMC fired him from The Walking Dead).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

Spy Game is another one of my favorites, because he shares the spotlight with Robert Redford (who he looks just like).

I've always believed the "someone call for a doctor?" bit from Ocean's Eleven is a direct reference to the Pitt / Redford resemblance.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

wrong thread

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 6, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

penismightier posted:

I think part of it is timing, it's happening with all the movie monsters now - "Lycans."

Death Dealers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

regulargonzalez posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but what are some movies that had an amazing intro that the rest of the movie didn't live up to?

Both Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness are guilty of this, although the drop-off in quality is arguably worse with Into Darkness.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

peer posted:

The intro of the first X-Men belongs in much better movie with a rather different tone.

Good thing they re-used it almost shot-for-shot in First Class :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What happens in the last few minutes of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer?

Freddie Prinze Jr. and Jennifer Love Hewitt are married and have a house, the fisherman is hiding there and pulls her under the bed with his hook, go to credits.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mescal posted:

Sorry, I wasn't completely clear. I'm talking layers of fiction, with the top layer being the movie's narrative. Like "we've been telling you the truth behind the story, but this movie is also a fiction, and we've been lying to you too, but how much?" Something along the lines of a making-of doc about a reality show, but doc itself is manipulated and scripted...

I'm not sure if I'm totally understanding, but 20,000 Days on Earth might be in this direction -- it presents itself as a documentary that depicts a fictionalized day in the life of Nick Cave, and while some of it is very authentic (it features the first time Cave and Blixa Bargeld met since Bargeld quit the band via email in 2003), some of it is very fictional (Warren Ellis tells Cave a story about Nina Simone, and while it's shown as the first time Cave's heard it, Ellis has been telling that story for decades) -- and the movie never really says what's what.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Probably the only time Bill Pullman was made into an action figure:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Heteroy posted:

And Jesus Christ, what was Coppola thinking when he directed Jack?

Coppola's last gasps of greatness were The Godfather Part III and Bram Stoker's Dracula. I don't know what the gently caress happened to him after that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Godfather 3 is a decent movie with some good stuff in it.

Take the over-the-top helicopter attack and Sofia Coppola out and I honestly think it's excellent. It's a gorgeous film and I love the political intrigue with the Vatican.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

starry skies above posted:

But we already know it's just going to be a retread of the original trilogy. :shrug:

I wasn't aware you'd read the scripts for all three movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Volcott posted:

Did they ever put the Star Wars Special Edition from 1997 on BD or DVD? The version that was in theaters.

No. The 2004 DVDs were drawn from the Special Edition, but there were significant changes made (Lowry Digital did a rushed restoration job, more CGI was added, they subbed McDiarmid for Clive Revill in Empire, they took out Luke's scream as he falls, and probably a zillion other things were adjusted).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Egbert Souse posted:

The 2004 DVD of Star Wars '77 was color graded based on Lucas' own dye-transfer print, but it was horribly rushed. I think ILM and Reliance Mediaworks (then Lowry Digital) had only three months to restore, rework effects, and color grade all three films.

The Special Edition was color-graded from Lucas' dye-transfer print. I believe Lowry used the Special Editions as their reference for color timing.

And, yes, the 2004 DVDs were horribly rushed. In those days, Lowry generally took as long as 120 days to clean up a print. They got 30 days with each movie and then had to return them to ILM immediately -- and that's why you have weird-rear end poo poo like Vader's lightsaber being pink in Jedi because they didn't have time to fix the contrast.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 12, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I seem to recall the stars of Mike & Molly having lost weight and had to wear padded costumes.

Melissa McCarthy has lost something like 60 pounds over the last year or so, so she definitely had to wear padding for the current season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

How Tarantino got the people he did for Reservoir Dogs is another thing.

Basically, Keitel did a poo poo-ton of schmoozing on Tarantino's behalf after he read the script.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Acne Rain posted:

What other "loose trilogies" are there, three movies that do not share plot arches or characters but themes and directors?

The Cornetto trilogy comes to mind; they all carry a loose theme of letting go of one's childhood and having to grow up.

You can make an argument that Little Odessa / The Yards / We Own the Night by James Gray work as a trilogy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Enos Cabell posted:

Does anyone remember the last wide theatrical release to feature an intermission? I swear I remember watching something in a theater in the mid 90s that had one, but can't for the life of me recall what it was.

Gods and Generals (2003) had an intermission.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wonder how many people never came back for the second half.

I saw it in a packed theater on opening night in Green Bay, Wisconsin. (Probably 80 percent of the people there were dressed in Civil War costumes.) Shockingly, almost everyone came back in after the intermission.

I should have run far, far away.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rochallor posted:

This might be too subjective and too personal to really answer, but the final scene in The Hunt for Red October has always looked really bad to me, and I can't quite figure out why. It's obviously green-screened, but there are other obvious green-screen effects that I have no problem with. It really seems like a terrible effects shot and I can't explain why. Is there anybody who sees what I'm talking about with a more in-depth knowledge of this stuff?

To my untrained eye, it actually looks like rear projection. In any event, the short version is that the lighting is really, really bad, and as a result it makes Connery and Baldwin stand out from the background like sore thumbs. There are also some really noticeable matte lines.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Not quite overwhelming guilt, but Reservoir Dogs is all about (the lack of) honor among thieves.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Here's another question now that Hangover has been mentioned: Has there been a film sequel as blatant as Hangover 2 in terms of being literally the exact same movie as the first one?

Like computer parts said, Ghostbusters II is a rather shameless and soulless beat-for-beat remake of the original.

Even though I have a soft spot for it, Terminator 3 re-uses a ton of the same beats of T2. Both Rush Hour movies flat-out copy the original. And Jurassic Park III basically does everything the first movie did.

Edit: Oh, poo poo, I almost forgot, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is basically the same movie as Raiders of the Lost Ark, just with a bit more flash and pizzazz.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 22, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

edit: Are there some decent movies where Pete Postlethwait plays a nice person?

He looks so nice

Looked. We lost Postlethwaite a little over five years ago. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

It gets hairy because there have been lots of renegotiations in the meantime. For example, Sony originally had Movie and TV rights for Spiderman, but Marvel got the TV rights back in exchange for some unknown tradeoff.

I believe Marvel got the comprehensive (live-action and animated) television rights back for Spider-Man in exchange for Sony getting to keep the movie license in perpetuity as opposed to having to have a new movie in development every few years.