Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm going to watch Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima soon, and I'm wondering if it matters which order I watch them in. My wife wants to see FOOF but not LFIJ, so I'd rather just watch LFIJ while waiting for her to have time for FOOF. Are there any specific characters or situations that "cross over" from FOOF that would affect how I perceive LFIJ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

neutral posted:

I actually have a few.

What are the differences between the three versions of Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Like Blade Runner, I thought it was pretty good, but I'm not dying to see it again. Still I am curious to know whether its worth it to check out the other cuts.

The main difference is whether or not you see the inside of the ship. The cut with the inside of the ship (I believe it's called the Extended Edition) has been universally derided over time, even by Spielberg himself. I have to say it was pretty awesome when I was 8 years old, though. Other minor differences primarily focus on how much time is spent with Roy's family.

neutral posted:

My second question is about the different soundtracks to Man With A Movie Camera. Does anyone have preferences? I've listened to the Cinematic Orchestra's version and it was still awesome, but I know that's far from the definitive.

The Alloy Orchestra track is the best.

neutral posted:

And my third question is about Kieslowski's Short Films about Killing and Love. I loved the Decalogue, so I guess I will probably just watch them anyways, but again, is there enough added to really make it worth it?

No, not really. IIRC, Love has a different ending.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Voodoofly posted:

Bergman watching question:

I recently received quite a few dvds as an engagement present from my fiance's family friend, I think based somewhat on the condition that he was going to watch them as well so we could talk about them (I think he is happy to have found another film dork).

- For Scenes From a Marriage, neither of us has ever seen it. Should we watch the theatrical version or the 5 hour television first. Does your answer change if we might not ever see the other version?

- For Fanny and Alexander, I have only seen the theatrical version, and he has seen neither - same question, which one should he watch first?

Definitely the television version for Fanny & Alexander. I actually prefer the shorter cut of Scenes From a Marriage. However, if you might not get another chance to see the longer version (why would this be?) then go for that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

BooDoug187 posted:

And does anyone know of any other older american movies (40's and 50's) that dont have the typical happy ending or "the heroes stops the bad guy" endings?

Most film noirs (films noir? I never know) are very bleak, but have "happy" endings due to requirements for bad guys to get what's coming to them. A few that have dark conclusions despite this are Ace in the Hole, Double Indemnity and Sweet Smell of Success. And a double-shot of Kubrick: Paths of Glory and The Killing.

I could come up with more, but that's off the top of my head.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Are you sure it was in English? It sounds a bit like The Exterminating Angel to me.

Heh, what? Besides ending in a church, there's no similarity at all.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Satch posted:

One of my favorites is a noir flick called Detour wherein a guy kills 2 people accidentally in the course of the film and at the end is supposed to just hit the highway, unsure of where he's going but with nowhere TO go.

Then the government said he had to get caught at the end, since he'd killed people and was thus the 'bad guy'. So there's this OBVIOUSLY tacked on segment where a cop pulls over while he's walking and nabs him with this voice over:

Ann Savage is such an evil little bitch in that movie. You just can't wait for her to get it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

One of the best examples of the bad guy getting away with it is... It's a Wonderful Life. Few people realize that Potter got away with stealing the money

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4267/saturday-night-live-its-a-wonderful-life-lost-ending

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I guess I can ask this here, but is the 3 disc edition of Brazil worth the extra 30 bucks or is the standard criterion good enough? I do enjoy extras and commentaries but are they worth the additional cost?

That depends on how much you want to know about Brazil, of course. The "Love Conquers All" version is something to watch once (with commentary) and never touch again. "The Battle for Brazil" is very interesting. However, the single-disc version has a Gilliam commentary that'll tell you pretty much everything you'd want to know.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Gospel According to St. Matthew is wonderful, and Accatone is very good. Oedipus Rex is pretty dull.

I watched a few minutes of The Decameron once and it looked quite retarded.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kentucky Shark posted:

Off the top of my head, Kevin Smith specifically calls out some actors as assholes in his commentaries (like Linda Fiorentino in Dogma).

He also says "gently caress DVD!" on the Chasing Amy commentary, because it was ported over from the laserdisc :laugh:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tookus posted:

In the film Deliverance,

Wikipedia Says:

"The reason for Drew's fall is left unclear: Drew was either shot and killed by the surviving mountain man, or he lost his balance and fell from the canoe in the heavy rapids."

But when I watched it I interpreted it as Drew being wracked with guilt over letting his friends bury the hillbilly. He seemed despondent, and it looked to me like he killed himself by throwing himself out of the canoe. That would also explain why he didn't put on his life jacket. What are your thoughts?

I always thought he just stood up and fainted from the stress/shock.

Tookus posted:

Also was the man that Ed killed at the top of the gorge the deputy's brother that was out hunting or was it the surviving hillbilly?

I can't remember.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Does Jihad posted:

This doesn't really have to do with a specific movie, but I was browsing dvdbeaver and went to this page: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/reviews.htm

The reviews are sorted alphabetically, and a thumbnail with a picture links to each letter (the picture for M is from A Man Escaped, P has a picture of Passion of Joan of Arc, etc). I have no idea what some of them are, specifically I and L:

I'm sure it's going to turn out to be something obvious, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could identify these two.

I haven't seen this yet, but I'll take a wild guess on "I": The Insect Woman by Shohei Imamura.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Good guess, but The Insect Woman isn't listed in their reviews, so I don't think it's that. It certainly is a striking image, though.

Oh gently caress, I just got it. It's Irma Vep! The black & white threw me. Great little movie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dr. Coffee posted:

So I have been more and more interested in Oldboy and just learned that it is part of a trilogy. Is the rest of the series any good? Is there an order I should watch them?

You don't have to watch in any particular order. Lady Vengeance is the best of them.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

We Are Citizen posted:

:words:

I'm trying to figure out if you ever had a point to begin with, and I think the answer is no.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

We Are Citizen posted:

it is still pretty obviously a term of disparagement

No it isn't. Again, you need to learn what words mean before use you them.

You're a loving idiot. <--- now THAT'S a term of disparagement

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The entire first half of Dark Passage is filmed first person. It gets old quick.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Also And Then There Were None.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm gonna be watching Persepolis soon, and I'm wondering if there are any strong arguments for or against the English dub. I really like Gena Rowlands and Catherine Deneuve, but I know that animation dubs often take some egregious liberties with the translation (like just about every Disney dub of a Studio Ghibli film).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

In Baraka, what is that "chanting" called? It's the segment with these people waving around their arms in unison.

The monkey chant. It's not some spiritual thing though, it was made up for the tourists. It's also in The Fall.

edit: here

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ayb posted:

My Cinema class this week has a couple of assignments for us.

We have to watch 2 documentaries that offer "opposing" views on the topic(and of course analyze them). I know of the more well known documentaries but don't know what has come out that opposes them.

We also have to find an animated feature film that succeeded commercially or critically beyond the traditional youth market(this one isn't as tough)

Anyone have good recommendations on these? I have to write papers on them but finding the films has been slightly more difficult

Boy, that first one is tricky. Twist of Faith is about a guy who was molested by his priest, but in the end still manages to find a place for faith in his life. You could contrast this with something that's more "anti"-religion (like Bill Maher's Religulous, which I haven't seen yet).

For the second one, I would say Yellow Submarine. A lot of anime would fit the bill too, like Akira or any of the major Miyazaki films (say Princess Mononoke).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

therochester posted:

Yeah, I meant ADR. The example that spurred the question today was I fidanzati. There were several scenes where it looked so bad, yet I couldn't see a justification for it. In particular there were a couple of scenes in a barber shop and an apartment. I would think it would be easy to control for extraneous noise in those cases, so perhaps they were foreign actors. It really takes me out of the movie.

Ape Agitator is correct in that almost all sound was added in post. There was a long time when ADR was a whole industry unto itself in Italy. Onscreen actors would be cast specifically for their faces and voice actors would be cast specifically for their voices and regional dialects.

It is distracting, but most of the time you get used to it. I don't notice it at all in I Fidanzati, but maybe that's because I love the movie so much.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I think all of Almodovar's films are in Castilian Spanish. They're all pretty good, but my favorites are All About My Mother, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown and Talk to Her.

EDIT: Spirit of the Beehive is a superior film. It takes place in a Castilian village, so I assume the dialect is Castilian as well.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 28, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Armyman25 posted:

In Animal House, what was up with the headline "Dean's wife to vacation in Florida" after she sleeps with the student. Did she go for an abortion or something?

I think it's more about getting her out of the way for a while to avoid scandal.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ClydeUmney posted:

I have the theatrical recorded off of Turner Classic. Delete it unwatched and wait for the miniseries, or is the theatrical worth seeing on its own?

I saw the theatrical first (in the theater :smug: ) and it didn't ruin the television version or anything. In fact, it made the longer version just seem that much more awesome by comparison.

Still, I wouldn't bother with the shorter if you have an opportunity to see the longer one instead.

And quit relying on cable to provide all your movies. GET loving NETFLIX

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dancing Potato posted:

I don't know if this is the right place for this but I have a question concerning DVD software. I do a lot of my renting from the public library, which means that a lot of the discs are in not-awesome shape. Half the time I start watching a movie only to have it start to crap out and skip on me. I was wondering if there exists some kind of program that can scan through a DVD and see if it will skip without having to watch the whole thing. I've been burned three times in the past two weeks with movies that I watched an hour of only to find the rest nigh unwatchable - I'd like to be able to prevent that in the future.

Get a SkipDoctor. It'll fix those about 75% of the time.

There is software that will backup a DVD while skipping over unreadable sectors, but I'm not sure if the mods would want me to name it or link to it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

timeandtide posted:

I have just stared at this photo for a few minutes, looking at your name and your avatar and the photo, just staring and staring and staring away--hoping, begging, pleading for some sense to it all. To the mystery of life.

I was just continuing the trend of posting pictures of folks with giant foreheads.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I went with the longer version and ended up wishing I had gone with the shorter one. It's not a bad movie, but the burlesque scenes seem to go on forfuckingever.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dr_Amazing posted:

Until now I had no idea that "Angry White Guy" is a movie genre.

Not to be confused with the "Angry Young Man" genre of the British New Wave.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

When I go to "Italian Horror" I get 5 pages of titles*. When I go to "Foreign" I get 285 pages. So 5 pages of Italian Horror is probably all there is.

* if you're only getting 3 pages, try checking the "Show rated/seen titles" box

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the posted:

I can't even name an Italian Horror film :(

Not even Suspiria?

Read InfiniteZero's excellent giallo thread

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the boy in a well posted:

I've forgotten what this film is. Its poster features a lighthouse, which is also prominent in the film's trailer. This movie is in black and white and wasn't released more than three years ago. I think it's French, but I could be wrong; in any case, it played Cannes or some other major festivals, and the director has made some films before. There was a definite film noir vibe to the movie, that I've also heard is a rather slow-moving picture. I don't have any other details, except to say this has been gnawing at me for some time. gently caress, I hope it's not actually called The Lighthouse!

Not quite a lighthouse, but it sounds an awful lot like The Man from London. Like all Bela Tarr films, it is exceptionally slow-moving, but very worthwhile.

Also, we have a special thread for this kind of thing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the Bunt posted:

So my all-time favorite Godard movie is My Life to Live. What's the best quality DVD release to get? Does it matter? Is there even more than one?

There's an OOP one from Fox Lorber, but I can't remember how the quality is. You're undoubtedly better off getting the Criterion on April 20th (also on Blu-Ray).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ape Agitator posted:

See when I hear of dated special effects I see the "haze" caused by double printing, the barely visible masking box

This is especially noticeable in Alien 3 IIRC

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Brolita posted:

How much profanity/sexual content is in the movie TAPS? (Reading this you'd think I'm a parent showing this to my kid, actually I'm wondering if it's a movie my mom would like) Violence isn't as big of an issue.

I haven't watched it in a while, but to my recollection there's absolutely zero sexual content. I don't think there's a whole lot of profanity either. It's not even that violent until the end.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Piano posted:

This might be a kind of silly request but lately I've been sort of enchanted by films that sort of expose how things get done in creative industries, ranging from stuff like Synecdoche, New York with the gigantic productions shown and even other stuff like The Devil Wears Prada(fashion/magazine publishing industries), which happens to share an actor on that show Entourage which I also liked in that aspect (the whole process that movies get made, however fictional/silly). The Aviator also touches on this at points. Any other stuff like this? And I don't mean just limited to theater type production but really anything with a creative process.

All the suggestions so far (Boogie Nights, 24 Hour Party People, Tristram Shandy, Day for Night) and I second them. And I'll add All That Jazz which I did a Movie of the Month thread for here. Two great films about the artistic process at work are Quince Tree of the Sun and The Mystery of Picasso.

I may think of a couple more later.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

We had the same question the other day in the General CD Discussion thread (even though we do have a Recommend Me thread). I'll just repost my answer from there:

me posted:

I'm on a huge film noir kick right now, and there's still a bunch I haven't seen, but these are some of my favorites:

Double Indemnity
Murder By Contract
Touch of Evil
The Stranger
Sweet Smell of Success
The Third Man
The Night of the Hunter
Nightmare Alley
Bad Day at Black Rock
Where the Sidewalk Ends
The Asphalt Jungle
The Lady from Shanghai
Gun Crazy
Laura
Murder, My Sweet
The Maltese Falcon

and a few foreign ones:

Diabolique
Stray Dog
Elevator to the Gallows
Quai des Orferves
Bob le flambeur
The Wages of Fear

You can also do what I'm doing, and just go through the They Shot Dark Pictures, Didn't They? list.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 26, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I throw my full support behind Gilda, Detour and Out of the Past (all in my collection). Haven't seen Blast of Silence yet.

Brick is fun too, but of course it's not "true" noir by the strictest definition. I also found the noir leanings to be a bit annoyingly self-conscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Muley posted:

there was a thread here not long ago about some african movie, possibly sci-fi. maybe from zimbabwe or nigeria. seemed like an art film, there was a picture of a black guy with antlers on a blue wall. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Still got the wrong thread, chief.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344