Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

What was the first samurai movie that popularized or featured the stereotypical duel in which two samurai run past each other and seemingly miss each other as they strike, then they stand still and one falls over?

Probably The Seven Samurai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

There's no scene like that in Seven Samurai.

When the sword master samurai, Kyuzo, is introduced, the duel he has is almost exactly like that. Also, the slow motion of the death of the thief that Kambei kills when he's introduced is also similiar.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
At the end of Alien 3 was Lance Henrikson a droid or not? He said he wasn't, but his ear was hanging off after 85 clubbed him and it didn't seem to faze him all that much.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
In Animal House, what was up with the headline "Dean's wife to vacation in Florida" after she sleeps with the student. Did she go for an abortion or something?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

itrorev posted:

I was watching yet another Rocky marathon on Spike, and something came to my mind...

I never quite understood exactly how Paulie squandered Rocky's money, which ended up sending him back to the ghetto. Can someone enlighten me on this?

Rocky, Adrian, and Adrian's brother Paulie return to their lavish Philadelphia home to find out that Paulie had signed 'power of attorney' over to Balboa's accountant, who had, in turn, squandered most of his money on real estate flipping.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Rake Arms posted:

As seen in "In Bruges," where Colin Farrel blinds a man in one eye by firing a blank at close range.

Wasn't that Tigerland?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Yannick_B posted:

He's a Time Lord.

He's either a Time Lord or a Dread Pirate Roberts.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah, well,

The old man thought he was pretty '80s, Dick.

Point taken, though. Those two should've done a buddy pic together.

Also, both of them get murdered in cold blood shortly after doing a bunch of cocaine. Truly men of their time.

Did anyone think that the "bitches leave" chicks weren't that good looking, or have disposable women just gotten that much better looking since the 80's?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Wild T posted:

Any time a discussion starts with the Star Wars stuff it turns from gayer to gayest.

To contribute: What is the deal with prop firearms? Whenever I watch guys in a movie point semiautomatic weapons at each other and fire I wonder this. If there's no round to maintain a seal in the barrel, usually you will need a BFA or end up with the world's most awkward bolt action.

I've heard of prop guns that use propane for a muzzle flash; is it as simple as "plugged barrel, blank rounds in the magazine, pyro setup hidden in the muzzle"?

They make a lot of prop guns that have a sealed or partially blocked barrel that retain a realistic look while allowing the weapon to cycle with a blank.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Zogo posted:

I didn't know about that earlier movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q__vuyH1JEI scene by scene comparison is pretty funny.

I'm going to have to go back and watch Airplane! in black and white now.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

BobKnob posted:

Where did all the American Football pads come from in the Mad Max movies come from? This is important.

Sporting goods stores! The production company is Australian, I can't imagine them ordering pads from America just for costumes.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
He described himself without naming himself. It's misdirection without actually lying, which is something a lawyer would be good at.

I think his description was along the lines of "a desperate man at the end of his rope, tall, lanky, dark hair, in his 30's." Which does describe the man who beat him, himself.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I just imagined that he heard about it by being on the brute squard.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Does anyone here skip through to their favorite parts of a movie? I found that Crocodile Dundee II had been uploaded to youtube, and while the second half in Australia is pretty entertaining, there are about 5 minutes of movie that's worth the time to watch in the first half.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Wow, Sellers is amazing in that short bit. Completely steals the scene from Hope and Crosby.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Kane was the Science Officer, (mysteriously replacing the previous one at the last minute) and Ripley was the 1st officer, or second in command of the Nostromo.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Yeah, you're right. Ash was the science officer, Kane was the one who got face
huggered, right?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Spermando posted:

Subtitles don't say exactly what the original text says. A guy who's famous in the AV translation field in my country wrote an article on this. He estimated that up to 40% of the words had to be cut to keep the subtitles short and readable: swear words, nicknames, adjectives... Basically all the words that give character to the plot.
The original performance may not be as transparent as you're making it out to be. A man from Texas doesn't sound like a man from Tokyo when he's trying to be sarcastic or flirty. If I'm not familiar with the way the Japanese speak, I'm probably missing a lot of little details in their tone that could be easily conveyed in a competent dub.

If I'm watching a movie about a man from Tokyo, why would I want to hear him speak with a Texas accent?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

What's up with so many American movies set in foreign countries or the past having everyone speak in a British accent?

It's an easy way to say "foreign" without actually being in another language. Also, British a accents are more class associated than American accents, so it's easier to denote aristocrats from the poor.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
A stuntman died making Gone Fishin'

IMDB posted:

An accident during filming killed stuntwoman Janet Wilder and injured her husband, stuntman Scott Wilder, and his father, stuntman Glenn R. Wilder. A boat was supposed to go over a ramp, fly over a mangrove hedge, land between two other boats, and stop in the water. Instead the boat slid off the side of the ramp, flipped over, and landed in a crowd of crew and extras.

What a lovely movie do die making.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119214/trivia

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Does anyone else think that Carlito's Way is a better movie if you skip the first 5 minutes?

The movie starts at the end, then flashsback and the rest of the movie leads up to the scene that starts the movie. I personally think it works better if you don't know how it's going to turn out.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

SeenUnnoticed posted:

Does the old black guy in No Country for Old Men that gives Llewelyn a ride to Del Rio get killed by Anton? It seems like it was implied, I'm just not one hundred percent on it.

Where was it implied? He was just a random guy giving Llewelyn a lift.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

wyoming posted:

It's the scene right before they meet Laurence Fishburne, they try setting a trap with Topher as bait, only that thing shows up instead.

Wasn't it supposed to be a version of the original, rejected, Jean-Claude Van Damne Predator?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

marktheando posted:

Wait... Cobra was set in the future?

Those guys were the best. I wish I could find a group I could join and clang axes together.

I think Cobra took place in the Last Action Hero universe, only unironically.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
This seems apropos to the Pacino discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q9TpdUPYLU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Cymbal Monkey posted:

A while back I saw Casa Blanka. and in addition to not seeing why anyone still cares about this film, I was intrigued by that famous line "Here's lookin' at you, kid."

What the gently caress is this line supposed to even mean? I cannot for the life of me parse these words into meaning. Also, why is a line that is such a train wreck of English so incredibly famous? Is it by the same reasoning that lead to halo is a pretty cool guy still existing on the internet? :psyduck:

Casa Blanka?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I've had this saved on my hard drive for 7 years.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
What is the best Army of Darkness DVD release?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A fuzzy bootleg, viewed at midnight during a sleepover in 7th grade.

Well, I was already past the 7th grade when it was released, so that's out. :corsair:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

effectual posted:

I remember seeing a movie around 2000 or so where a guy was shot in the kneecap and it blew apart and he fell to the ground, what movie was it? Also, is that the most painful thing you can do to someone? In Django he mentioned at the end that the house "negro" hadn't mentioned it as punishment.

Once Upon a time In Mexico

http://youtu.be/I1kdEUa4DXg?t=1m38s

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 29, 2013

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

SubG posted:

`Revisionism' in general refers to any work that nominally participates in a genre or movement which is popular enough to have an institutionalised aesthetic (in terms of presentation or in content), but which rejects or re-interprets that aesthetic enough to have its own recognisable sensibilities.

In Westerns this is, as others have commented, generally a reaction to the studio-era Western, exemplified by the mid-career John Ford. It's easy to think of a lot of the obvious elements---moral simplicity, patriotic nationalism, belief in the inherent strength and righteousness of communities, and so on---but there are also all the archetypes (team-player maverick, eastern intellectual, drunken doctor, whore with a heart of gold, and so on), the hallmarks of setting (canonically the Monument Valley, but more generally a wilderness that is tough, but also full of opportunity), and the framing of action (e.g. violence being a thing which is generally to be deplored but can be employed by hard-handed righteous men to expunge villainy from the community with almost surgical cleanliness).

This is pretty funny because Deadwood has almost all of those archetypes.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

effectual posted:

I was referring to the scene right before that, when Wayne is runnin after the girl and you think he might shoot her like he swore to earlier, and the boy will have to shoot Wayne to save the girl, but then Wayne doesn't shoot her because (?) forced hollywood happy ending.

A woman gets to try to re-integrate into a culture she hasn't known since she was 6, while the culture she has now and the people she was raised by have been annihilated. Meanwhile Wayne realizes he has no part in the community he has delivered her to, since the rest of his family is dead and he's spent the better part of the last decade wandering around trying to find her.

Pretty happy ending.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What are some earlier instances of the plot in which the protagonist stages fights with someone who is ostensibly a villain for financial gain and shares the spoils with his or her accomplice? I know there are more of these but for some reason, the only ones that are coming to mind are Dragonheart and Shark Tale. I guess The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly could count but it's a little different. I feel like there are some really obvious ones I'm missing.

Kingpin?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

What happened to Francis Ford Coppola? That is, in the 70s he made four movies that would be in any top 100 list, and was the screenwriter for another (Patton) that might not be quite of that caliber but is generally very well regarded. I'd put his body of work in that decade up with any director's best ten year span, and he looked well on his way to be considered one of the top 2 or 3 directors of all time. Since then, he's had maybe 2-3 decent, entertaining but ultimately slight movies and a whole bunch of duds. I mean, if not for the '70s, he'd be considered a mediocre ham-n-egger along the lines of Paul W. S. Anderson or, I don't know, Jon Turteltaub -- decently competent, forgettable, and largely anonymous.

Was it just luck in the 70s? I just don't get how he seemingly lost his talent for directing or recognizing a good story vs a bad one.

I think he went insane in the Philippines.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Is the dream sequence with a dwarf being filmed in In Bruges a reference to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4je71Tz_9IE

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, that is a reference to Twin Peaks.

I see, haven't watched Twin Peaks, probably should.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

I want to see the clip with Gary Busey talking about The Buddy Holly Story

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

xcore posted:

Why is it that, no matter how I watch a movie at home, whether it be downloaded from the internet, ripped from a DVD or played straight off the disc, that my sound levels are completely hosed.

I always have to crank the movie for dialogue, but as soon as the car chase starts, a fight breaks out or the score kicks in my ear drums nearly explode? I find myself with remote in hand constantly raising and lowering the volume.

I know the initial answer is, "set your speakers up properly!" but it happens if I watch in 5.1, use headphones, or just watch something from computer with lovely PC surround speakers.

Is it something to do with the way movies are transferred to DVD/Blu Ray? Is all the gear I own terribly calibrated? Do I just have really lovely hearing?

The Dredd DVD actually has an "apartment" audio track that fixes this very problem. The dialog is turned up and everything else is turned down.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The first time I saw Carlito's Way I missed the opening, so the ending came as a genuine surprise. The second time I saw it i saw that it starts at the ending and was a lesser movie for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

And then the drat thing fell over sideways and nearly crushed her anyway.