Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I went to see this today with no expectations, and I liked it quite a lot.

To those wary about the acting, it's honestly no better or worse than your standard horror movie. You've got your awkwardly delivered lines here and there, but nothing that hurts the movie. When it comes to me, I like laughing at a stupid line here or there as long as it doesn't take me out of the movie. The asian teenager's voice in Lady In The Water was distracting. There's nothing like that here in this one.

The deaths are very original. Some are absurdly funny in a monty python way, others are as disturbing as they are beautiful. Anyone complaining that the film isn't scary is missing the point. There aren't any of your typical big scares, so if you're looking to be on the edge of your seat, see something else. If you want to see simple, unsettling acts that'll stick in your mind, you'll enjoy this.

The cinematography is often great. Tak Fujimoto has always been very good at letting the viewer feel comfortable in a visual style, then shaking the snow globe so to speak. If you liked his work on Signs and Sixth Sense, you'll like it here too.

This isn't a particularly environmentalist movie, at least, environmentalism in it's current form. There isn't a 'Go Green! TM' or a 'corporations are evil' message behind this. I admire that it didn't go that route, which it easily could have, given how hot a topic that is these days.

If you go into this movie expecting to hate it, there's tons you could nitpick about probably. Chances are though, you're the same type of person who does that with any horror or sci-fi movie they watch, or with any M. Night film you watch. I'm not opposed to finding faults in movies at all, but anything that doesn't take you out of the film just ain't a fault. If you're looking to fall out of the film at any chance you can though, that's an attitude you went in with, and you didn't really watch the movie.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU