Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
It's a pretty basic concept with very large potential. What you are doing is using the RGB (and possibly Alpha) channels of an image to store up to four greyscale images that can be used as masks.

Here is a brick texture I made in Substance Designer based off some Pluralslight tutorial. I've labeled them respectively.

This one may look like some sort of cyberpunk nightmare but if I break it down into the three channels you'll find...

Three distinct greyscale images that are used for the Height (R), Roughness (G), and Ambient Occlusion (B) respectively. Now just use the RGB outputs of the file node in your material editor to use each respective mask.

This method is generally much easier to work with than using three separate mask files. It's essentially mask grouping. Now... if you're like me in college and self-taught yourself Photoshop you'll have no idea what channels are. Not knowing how to access or edit said channels makes this massively harder to understand.

Putty fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cool, yeah that's pretty easy to understand.

I was trying to figure this out, but visualizing what the node network would look like is hard:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I'll point out, at leased from what I remember, that using just the alpha channel in the combined rgba is almost as expensive as the rgb part on its own, so try to stick to using just the rgb and only alpha if its really necessary.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Ccs posted:

I was trying to figure this out, but visualizing what the node network would look like is hard:

This one is interesting to recreate (* in Blender). They're basically doing something like this:

You can compute the lighting with a dot product function, and normalize it like in that diagram with a few extra operators.

Plug the brightness into a color ramp to get a cel shading effect.

You can combine that brightness with a separate shadow map. (from the green channel in this example.) If you multiply the brightness then it will accumulate darkness from multiple shadows overlapping, but if you use the minimum brightness then it will behave more like an actual shadow.

The ambient shadow colors get a bit more tricky. If you just multiply by the shadow color then it tints everything darker. What you want to do is multiply the diffuse color by white for the bright areas and the shadow color for the dark areas.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Some characters for a 3D animation I'm making in my free time, just for fun:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mutata posted:

At least post it here for us to consume :)

oh ye ofc. ill prob post it once and ask for feedback and then take suggestions

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Komojo posted:

Looking good man, keep on going!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Komojo posted:

This one is interesting to recreate (* in Blender). They're basically doing something like this:

You can compute the lighting with a dot product function, and normalize it like in that diagram with a few extra operators.

Plug the brightness into a color ramp to get a cel shading effect.

You can combine that brightness with a separate shadow map. (from the green channel in this example.) If you multiply the brightness then it will accumulate darkness from multiple shadows overlapping, but if you use the minimum brightness then it will behave more like an actual shadow.

The ambient shadow colors get a bit more tricky. If you just multiply by the shadow color then it tints everything darker. What you want to do is multiply the diffuse color by white for the bright areas and the shadow color for the dark areas.

Amazing. Thank you so much. Will try to recreate this in Maya when I have time.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Komojo posted:

Cool!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like the fish, the cat is creeping me out because its eyes look too large, too low, and too human. Or the fur is making the forehead look way too big.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah the cat's reaching uncanny valley spookiness. The fish is real cute tho

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
It reminds me of that Talking Tom thing and that's probably an association you do not want for anything

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Anyone have experience selling assets on sites like TurboSquid? I was considering buying Maya LT (I currently use the educational version for personal stuff) and creating stuff to sell for beer money. Subscription costs are pretty hefty so I wouldn't want to take the risk if it's difficult or inconsistent to make profit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Same thing as with stock images. You wont be making a living off of it unless you're making a constant stream of high quality assets and have a whole backlog thats in use. It's a little extra income. Unlike stock images the prices are wildly inconsistent and set by the authors so they're kind of ridiculously varied and suppressed by people desperate for sales? Also consider the unity/unreal asset stores for better exposure.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Does a website exist that offers free models that could be used to practice texturing? I’m too slow and unexperienced to make my own models at a pace fast enough.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ijyt posted:

Does a website exist that offers free models that could be used to practice texturing? I’m too slow and unexperienced to make my own models at a pace fast enough.

CGTrader and TurboSquid have, I think, some models that are most likely free (but probably poo poo quality too!).

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Sometimes ripped game models work, if that's what you're going for. A friend of mine used to practice handpainting textures on the Team Fortress 2 player models. You just paint over their existing texture sheets/uvs.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
There is actually a site that rips game models!

https://www.models-resource.com/

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
For you freelancers out there, Vermont is offering grants to relocate there if you work from home.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

That's pretty cool

I have worked from home a little bit over the last few years and it really doesnt suit me at all, which sucks as it would make living arrangements a lot more flexible.

It just turns me into a grumpy hermit creature. I was even getting out for a run each day to keep active and prevent the sad brains but the lack of human contact wears me down.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'm with Eoin, I've done the freelance lifestyle for about 2 years total now, scattered throughout 7 years of in-studio work and I much prefer working in a studio environment. It's much easier for me to seperate work and personal time, but being at home all the time it drives me nuts because I feel like I should be working even when I'm not.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
That grant seems to be for remote workers not freelancers?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

working more on that star wars ue4 environment

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think the planets could use some more atmospheric blur around them, they look very stark against the star field. Especially the mechanical moon thing next to the planet.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That ring around the planet still doesn't look centered

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Ccs posted:

I think the planets could use some more atmospheric blur around them, they look very stark against the star field. Especially the mechanical moon thing next to the planet.

I agree. A 20px gaussian blur at something like 40% might be enough to just help the background sit back a bit, but I'm digging the overall look.

The floor material in the interior looks quite good, but maybe the ceiling lights could get a bit more articulation?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

ZBrush 2018.1 is now available for download.

This patch is a free update and is highly recommended for all users. It includes a number of changes for improved stability in ZBrush 2018:

NEW
Added various changes to increase ZBrush sculpting and navigation speed.
Added ‘Go To Unmasked Center’ button for use with Gizmo3D center option.
Added ‘Uvb’ and ‘Uvbt’ (UV-Box and UV-Box tiles) UV map creation options.
Added option to export Smooth Normals with OBJ files.
Added ZModeler Inset proportional option. (A Single Poly only. CTRL modifier)
Added a warning when loading custom brushes with auto-masking enabled if Sculptris Pro is active.
Added a MatCap Red Wax material so it will no longer be fully replaced when using ‘Save As Startup Material’.

we will never be free of this curse

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Just about finished this one, aside from the funny hair distribution. Will do some better renders later on. Any critique appreciado. Edit - i really need presentation tips im shithouse at it

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 21, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If anything the screen right strap could have a more pleasing shape. Right now it's somewhere between a C and S curve and I think you could accentuate that.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
hey i made a facebook group a few days ago for folks called Leftist Creators,Artists, Makers, Designers, etc. you should hop on in ans join if you want a cool place to post/discuss art with other like-minded folks

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
e: wrong thread

Putty fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 22, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That ring around the planet still doesn't look centered

it seems like no matter how i position it it doesnt look quite centered (even when it is) but when i look at real pictures of ringed planets they dont look perfectly centered to me either so i think i just have to kind of leave it like that

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ccs posted:

SpoonsForThought posted:

I agree. A 20px gaussian blur at something like 40% might be enough to just help the background sit back a bit, but I'm digging the overall look.

The floor material in the interior looks quite good, but maybe the ceiling lights could get a bit more articulation?

oh yeah im doing this with a ring with a vertex color gradient that im trying to make always face the camera (because a huge quad sprite with a compressed texture would look really bad)

right now im just trying to figure out how to make a mesh always face the camera in ue4.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Kanine posted:

it seems like no matter how i position it it doesnt look quite centered (even when it is) but when i look at real pictures of ringed planets they dont look perfectly centered to me either so i think i just have to kind of leave it like that

How about placing it centered? The rear side of your ring barely gets to the center of the sphere. Make sure that you are using a fairly long lens.

Here's some handy references.
https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/targetFamily/Saturn?subselect=Target%3ASaturn%3AInstrument%3AWide+Field+Planetary+Camera+2

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImplicitAssembler posted:

How about placing it centered? The rear side of your ring barely gets to the center of the sphere. Make sure that you are using a fairly long lens.

Here's some handy references.
https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/targetFamily/Saturn?subselect=Target%3ASaturn%3AInstrument%3AWide+Field+Planetary+Camera+2

it is literally centered tho? like in all the pics ive posted it was perfectly centered with the sphere so idk what to tell u lmao

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
It looks wrong idk what to tell u lmao

mutata fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 22, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kanine posted:

it is literally centered tho? like in all the pics ive posted it was perfectly centered with the sphere so idk what to tell u lmao

It's what the other guy said, your focal length needs to be way longer, there is visible foreshortening on your planet. Also the rings are really narrow and near to the planet compared to what we're used to (jupiter) which helps make it look wrong.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Along with the wide focal length which makes the planet just look way too small, the reason why it looks weird is that solar systems are mostly flat. You had to rotate the star light source to light the rings properly but that is loving up the angle of the terminator on the planet. That planet would be rotating around it's star very abnormally if that view is to be believed. What you need to do is make the ring emissive(but not light anything but itself) and keep the star mostly in the same plane as the planet. A real planet's ring isn't a flat disc but made up of trillions and trillions of rocks, that's why they get lit from the side, when a disc wouldn't in a 3D program.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
working on mouth/inner mouth rigging:

e: over/under

needs molars obviously, but the face weighting came out pretty good I think

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I've been in this industry for years and seeing an inner-head rig without the skin still cracks me up every time