Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

working on mouth/inner mouth rigging:

It seems to run really slowly in the viewport, or is it just the screencap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It runs really slowly in the viewport, yeah. I have too many constraints going on for the hardware I have, overall the rig needs to be redone from scratch with a lot fewer constraints.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So I recently signed up for an account at Poliigon and dropped $48 on texture credits. Wow, they have tons of really great textures including a lot of sky and studio HDRIs. Totally worth it for how simple it is and the quality.

Problem was I went hog-wild with 4K and above textures where they really weren’t necessary and started running out of memory when rendering. Need to make sure to get the 2K textures... :psyduck:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Get more ram, they have 6k+, I think the hdris are 15k.

Speaking of excessive ram usage, I think I broke a record this past week. We took a photo of the beach but the sand looked a little grimy so I rendered a patch to brush into the photo. One plane, one material, vray sun/sky, 55gb ram usage. I was surprisingly impressed.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 24, 2018

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Can’t just add RAM to the video card, if it’s too big I can switch over to CPU rendering I think I have 16GB.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
16 is pretty low these days.

I have a quick question - I have a max file which contains an object which is 22 million polys. The object by itself creates a 1.8gb max file. it has UV's baked in. Viewport handles it fine (alarmingly so), and it renders by itself - but just having a blank scene with it open uses up around 30gb of ram and i'm about to start bringing a whole load of heavy poo poo in to join it.
Whats the best way to optimise this without loosing the UV's? It's a few different channels that are baked.
Pro optimiser as expected crashes max after around 40minutes of single core usage.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

16 is pretty low these days.

I have a quick question - I have a max file which contains an object which is 22 million polys. The object by itself creates a 1.8gb max file. it has UV's baked in. Viewport handles it fine (alarmingly so), and it renders by itself - but just having a blank scene with it open uses up around 30gb of ram and i'm about to start bringing a whole load of heavy poo poo in to join it.
Whats the best way to optimise this without loosing the UV's? It's a few different channels that are baked.
Pro optimiser as expected crashes max after around 40minutes of single core usage.

If you have access to ZBrush, decimation master would work well I reckon

*edit* actually zb won't support multiple UV channels. You could optimise it then project the new UV channels back on though

I suppose there's no option to separate it into parts in max which will optimise without crashing?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

EoinCannon posted:

I suppose there's no option to separate it into parts in max which will optimise without crashing?

That's my fallback - I have found that pro optimise very quickly fucks up the mesh surface however. I've been deleting sections that face away from the camera and replacing them with low poly mounds for shadows, and cut it into 8 pieces so far. I think it'll work, I was just checking i wasnt missing an easy way. Hubris getting in the way of an overly ambitious personal project...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What kind of model is it? organic, character, structure?

Anyway, dammit this should work but no actually that's doing exactly what I'm telling it to. *sob* (trying to map a texture on a trapezoid and just mapping to image bounds.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Synthbuttrange posted:

I resized some maps and got it to render, it is a massive terrain. Bonus points to anyone who can recognise where I took my 'inspiration' from (ran google maps screenshots through photoscan for a simple heightmap to start with)

Rendering it for the first time was a somewhat sobering experience as it has made me realise how much work is left to do to get this where it needs to be.

It is an environment scene for a short film I am working on. I've finished modeling the main assets, and now i'm working on the environments. One is in space, one in the cloud layer, one set in a wide valley and another at micro level on the ground by the river.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 25, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Is it yosemite national park?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I guess that was too easy!
I was having a hard time getting a good valley going, my early effors were rough and I needed something real to base it on if I was ever going to trust that it looks believable.

This was the previous version I was working with -

Which while the mountains look cool, there are some strange things going on with the relationship between areas and some consistency issues with the scale. Just couldnt crack it & knew no matter how much time I put into it, it would always look off.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Anyway, dammit this should work but no actually that's doing exactly what I'm telling it to. *sob* (trying to map a texture on a trapezoid and just mapping to image bounds.

This really should not happen, but you can try manually cutting that quad into two tris and see if the same behavior occurs. Not ideal but it might let you work around this.

Playing around with some face morph targets etc

e: the eyes are too big in proportion and that really jumps out when she squints :ohdear:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 25, 2018

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I know I'm probably late to the hype party but goddamn it's cool to actually see your model properly in real time in the viewport with Eevee. Dev version crashes constantly for me though so I guess I'll best wait for a release.

Also, wip texture, still learning as I go, still ponderously slow. Been dipping my toes into fx too: https://gfycat.com/AjarSplendidDotterel I wish I could make the smoke actually properly expand like it would in a vacuum.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 25, 2018

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't map a texture to a trapezoid. It feels like such a simple thing and it's completely mindblowing that it's somehow not actually possible. I've ran into this time and time again, and you need a custom shader and some hacks. The exact problem is "affine correct texture mapping for trapezoids".

The higher subdivided it is the less visible it is but that's a terrible hack :sigh:

The reason is, your expected result has more of the texture bunched up in the top, and less at the bottom, and it doesn't just linearly go from one edge to the other, which.. isn't really supported. Triangles have to linearly transition from each vert attribute to the next.

Even if you do it "right" with the hacks and implement projective interpolation in a custom engine outside of the 3d software (ie if you were making these for a game), you get this

The seams don't line up any more, due to the way it "stretches" edges in order to keep them in perspective. (e: seems like it lines up if you keep it purely trapezoidal which is good)

It's not really a possible thing and it haunts me every day I try to program anything with some kind of ribbon that changes size, like paths or trails.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 25, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I know its horrifying why computer why you hurt me

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So - did anybody watch Annihilation, (the movie) and wonder if the (second-to-last) final alien (ball of oddness) was built from Blender? I watched a making-of video that talks about using the Mandlebrot (they call it a Mandlebot?) set to build the shape - isn't that an option on the planet-builder thingie?

Video for reference. I'm sure they used Maya or whatevs, but drat, it definitely looks like it could be built in Blender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBDdm1CZytg&t=979s

The actual clip in the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15jwJhN5VGI

The more I'm googling and surfing the Blender user forums, I'm not finding anything about Mandelbrot in particular, (at least as far as mesh creation).

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 25, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Elukka posted:

I know I'm probably late to the hype party but goddamn it's cool to actually see your model properly in real time in the viewport with Eevee. Dev version crashes constantly for me though so I guess I'll best wait for a release.

Also, wip texture, still learning as I go, still ponderously slow. Been dipping my toes into fx too: https://gfycat.com/AjarSplendidDotterel I wish I could make the smoke actually properly expand like it would in a vacuum.

Smoke fx own, I like

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

This really should not happen, but you can try manually cutting that quad into two tris and see if the same behavior occurs. Not ideal but it might let you work around this.

Playing around with some face morph targets etc

e: the eyes are too big in proportion and that really jumps out when she squints :ohdear:

What age is this character? With the blends they're looking pretty old. The mouth looks like it might be too far down the face, leading to some odd mouth shapes and a stubby chin.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

magnificent7 posted:

So - did anybody watch Annihilation, (the movie) and wonder if the (second-to-last) final alien (ball of oddness) was built from Blender? I watched a making-of video that talks about using the Mandlebrot (they call it a Mandlebot?) set to build the shape - isn't that an option on the planet-builder thingie?

It was comped. None of the main packages can do that with plugins/out of the box. They'll have used a mix of normals, depth passes and low poly overlays to handle the lighting. The camera movement would have been approximated within mandelbulb and then the shot tracked and re-projected - helps that it was floating in space so you cant see any jitter. I had a deep look into trying to do something with fractals a while ago.

The video here goes over it in great detail -

https://lesterbanks.com/2015/01/using-mandelbulb-3d-vfx-pipeline/

edit: haha or maybe it was houdini.
https://lesterbanks.com/2018/03/mandelbulb-math-houdini/
it looks exactly like the result from that tutorial.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 25, 2018

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tip ccs i move it around a bit. I'm all done!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait are blender naming features after pokemon now.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They added an extra e. Maybe it stands for something but I dunno what.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait are blender naming features after pokemon now.

Yes and it's real dumb but whatever, is what it is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ccs posted:

What age is this character? With the blends they're looking pretty old. The mouth looks like it might be too far down the face, leading to some odd mouth shapes and a stubby chin.

She's supposed to be late twenties but yeah I see what you mean, that's partly me trying to avoid that thing with Poser character meshes always having huge long witch chins and partly (again) the eyes are too big. I spent a very long time looking at Poser content and it kind of hosed me up :smith:

e: This is why when people poo poo on traditional art education I have to disagree with them.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

magnificent7 posted:

Dneg did most (all?) the VFX, so it's most likely Houdini.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cubicle gangster posted:

It was comped. None of the main packages can do that with plugins/out of the box. They'll have used a mix of normals, depth passes and low poly overlays to handle the lighting. The camera movement would have been approximated within mandelbulb and then the shot tracked and re-projected - helps that it was floating in space so you cant see any jitter. I had a deep look into trying to do something with fractals a while ago.

The video here goes over it in great detail -

https://lesterbanks.com/2015/01/using-mandelbulb-3d-vfx-pipeline/

edit: haha or maybe it was houdini.
https://lesterbanks.com/2018/03/mandelbulb-math-houdini/
it looks exactly like the result from that tutorial.

I found a video using Mandelbulb and Blender 2.8 EEVEE, but drat if I can follow what they did. I'm thinking it might be simpler to use a mandelbrot image to do displace mapping? I know it won't come close to the final movie; at least not on my POS Dell.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Dneg did most (all?) the VFX, so it's most likely Houdini.

So what I hear you saying is "yes you can do it in blender and here's how it's so simple there's no need to spend a dime on high-end software don't be crazy"

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

magnificent7 posted:

So what I hear you saying is "yes you can do it in blender and here's how it's so simple there's no need to spend a dime on high-end software don't be crazy"

Given companies reluctance to pay for Houdini licenses, you'd think they'd be falling over themselves to use a free software, yet for some reason they don't?. I wonder why?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Isn't Houdini absurdly powerful? Like Blender is good and has gotten better, but its more Maya level than anywhere close to the control Houdini offers.

Im seeing a lot of studios forgo Maya for Blender now though. All of Tangent Animation's movies are Blender based, and their workflow is catching the attention of other Toronto studios. Blender also had a really good showing at Annecy this year.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
If there is an option to pinch pennies, a company will almost certainly take it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I would love for Blender to become the industry standard. That way independent projects done over the internet with multiple participants would be a lot easier to manage. Nowadays it's like, "Oh, I have Maya 2015 but the rigging artist has 2016 and the lighter has 2018 and the modeler is exporting an obj from Modo." The amount of incredible bullshit to get all that to work together is a headache.

Whereas if it was Blender it would be "Yeah, I'll grab the latest version of Blender off their website and we'll all work with that."

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Ccs posted:

Whereas if it was Blender it would be "Yeah, I'll grab the latest version of Blender off their website and we'll all work with that."

What's the difference between this and anyone on an Autodesk subscription? We could go and grab max 2019... But I trust 2016.
Does blender have absolutely no issues opening old files with new versions, or has it not been used enough in production to see them? I'm just bullshitting with you and wondering if this problem really is going to be solved if blender ever got as big as the big ones. If you saw total adoption would it be that seamless?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

What's the difference between this and anyone on an Autodesk subscription? We could go and grab max 2019... But I trust 2016.
Does blender have absolutely no issues opening old files with new versions, or has it not been used enough in production to see them? I'm just bullshitting with you and wondering if this problem really is going to be solved if blender ever got as big as the big ones. If you saw total adoption would it be that seamless?

I personally have never had issues opening files several years old on newer versions. It's possible there are edge cases with certain features, but backwards-compatibility has always been one of the focuses of the project and it's worked well for me.

And the difference is that you don't need an Autodesk subscription. It's been a long time since I used Maya but I would be really annoyed if I had to use it again, it's powerful software but it's bloated and loaded with bugs.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The problem is not really the software itself but it's integration with the pipeline and proprietary tools. Is that compatibility maintained when you version up? Guaranteed?. Every production I'm on is usually 2 versions behind the current release for that reason.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Won't that just be the same for Blender once it's widely adopted though?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mutata posted:

Won't that just be the same for Blender once it's widely adopted though?

no reason to not be 100% up to date tho

coz its free

it's crossed some imaginary threshold I have just invented where now it can only get more powerful as it's taken more and more seriously

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

echinopsis posted:

coz its free

it's crossed some imaginary threshold I have just invented where now it can only get more powerful as it's taken more and more seriously

I honestly don't think it's imaginary. In 2001, it was a fun "oh hai look I make boxes" 3D app. Fast forward 17 years, (yes, I've used it for that long and I still have no idea wtf I'm doing most of the time) and it's pretty drat good in the right hands, with powerful enough computing power.

I love using Blender and I wish I was more committed to staying up to date. I'm still baffled with cycles and nodes. I'm old school yo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

echinopsis posted:

coz its free

The point of the previous posts, though, is that large projects always have proprietary, internal, custom tools made just for them and that's a lot of work and time to update the whole pipeline to make the jump to a new version. Most of the time for most studios it's not as easy as just hitting the upgrade button and price isn't necessarily the reason.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Hi guys, what is the be-all end-all tutorial currently on phoenix FD? We've had it deployed on some workstations and I'd like to find something that can give me a good shortcut to the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Biggest drawback for Blender is that if you need support or customized features (outside the scope of its Python capabilities) you're SOL. With Max or Maya you can pick up the phone and have people at Autodesk working to solve your problem. I'm not saying that it's necessarily a good or bad thing, but there have been a couple occasions where I have needed to speak with people that were responsible for building the product. When you're paying them, they're a lot more likely to talk to you and help you out.