Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Doredrin posted:

I told GBS that I would make a 3d animation of whatever idea they came up with:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846497&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Going to get started today.

Legitimately some of the most fun I ever had creating was something like this. Like 11 years ago (holy crap...) I had GBS give me one sentence song ideas, and I made an album out of them (well, 2 albums). I got crap like “Why is there a carrot in my rear end?” And “accidental man-on-man grabbing”, and trying to decide the genre and all that was challenging and hilarious.

For Kanine, this sort of ties in to feeling frustrated and stuck with your art, because giving up the core idea like this can be amazingly freeing, and a great way to work through artistic blocks.

You don’t need to have random people give you ideas, but even a google roulette or just recreating something laying around your house can ease you back in to the creative process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

mutata posted:

The long-term solution for this is to let yourself have those days. Understand that there is nothing you've done wrong to cause them and that at no point in your future will you ever grow out of them or reach a point in your skill development where they don't happen. I know that it sounds like some kind of zen bullshit, but trust me, the best thing you can do is let yourself off the hook.

Short-term, in my experience what EoinCannon said is pretty much right. When you're trying really hard and it's not going well that day, one of the best things you can do is stop trying and do something else for a while. Go for a run, play a game, read a book, consume some media that is good and inspires you, go to bed for the night and try again later, engage in a hobby, go be with your family, etc etc. Come back later. Try again later.

Another thing you can try is to move on temporarily to a different part of the project. If texturing is frustrating you, move on to modeling on a different section. That way you're still making progress but you're also walking away from the specific thing that's stalling you.

If you're under deadline, then do your best and settle for less. Finished is better than perfect every time.

This is really good advice. Work until you get right to the edge of burn out. Then find something else to do which will calm you down. Whatever you do to relax. Come back to the work with a different perspective. Ask for help or critique. Feeling bad is a trap and guess what ... most artists are rarely happy with their work... that's why they keep trying to improve it.

Fastest painter I ever met had 2-3 paintings going at once. Always. He would work on one until he got tired of what he was doing and then switched to the other. In this way he built up confidence to go back to the problem he was dealing with after he zoned out fixing something else easier. He would bounce around a couple of paintings and then complete one in a matter of a day or two. Canvases were like 4-5 feet on average. Point is not to hate the work or burn out. The writing expression I believe is "don't be afraid to kill your babies." Morbid, but you gotta stop caring so much as to hate the process. Thankfully more and more of this stuff becomes easier with time and better software but even so it can be very, very frustrating.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 16, 2018

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Work-in-progress walkthrough of my on-going Overwatch-themed project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8uwYfSW9tE

Working thread on Polycount here:
http://polycount.com/discussion/193151/overwatch-hq-long-term-environment-working-thread-ue4

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Double posting because idgaf! My OW project was featured on 80 Level today:

https://80.lv/articles/overwatch-hq-creating-a-game-level-for-portfolio/

:shobon:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

mutata posted:

Work-in-progress walkthrough of my on-going Overwatch-themed project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8uwYfSW9tE

Working thread on Polycount here:
http://polycount.com/discussion/193151/overwatch-hq-long-term-environment-working-thread-ue4

Very nice work. I heard your name mentioned by Shane Olson and thought... "mutated jellyfish"... why does that sound familiar?
Another zbrush doodle. These things rarely get past primary / secondary form stage but I couldn't resist playing around in Keyshot. It isn't a doodle if I am spending more than a couple of hours on it. 3d or not.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

sigma 6 posted:

Very nice work. I heard your name mentioned by Shane Olson and thought... "mutated jellyfish"... why does that sound familiar?
Another zbrush doodle. These things rarely get past primary / secondary form stage but I couldn't resist playing around in Keyshot. It isn't a doodle if I am spending more than a couple of hours on it. 3d or not.

Haha, was this during Shane's Pixologic stream? Shane's amazing and a good friend of mine from the Disney days. I used to go up to his office and force him to give me critiques back when I was working on a character a few years back. Mostly I'd go up there to peep unannounced characters and eavesdrop on gossip, though. I like to go bug him during streams.

And thank you! <3

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

mutata posted:

Haha, was this during Shane's Pixologic stream? Shane's amazing and a good friend of mine from the Disney days. I used to go up to his office and force him to give me critiques back when I was working on a character a few years back. Mostly I'd go up there to peep unannounced characters and eavesdrop on gossip, though. I like to go bug him during streams.

And thank you! <3

Yeah - getting caught up with the new Zbrush features and have been watching the Pixologic twitch stuff.

Here is Paul Debevec going over newest workflows fore creating a "digital double". Cool stuff and just released yesterday. As evidenced by the fact this is actually a cam recording (still worth watching).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nu0AbyMHVQ

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 18, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how would i begin learning how to write a shader

the blackbody node in blender is good for the colour but they purposely made it so the luminosity is flat which the exact opposite of what happens in real life and what i want

the one in ue4 is so good, coz the engine is HDR and has auto exposure i would just crank the heat and it would glare and blow out the screen and etc just as if it was happening in real life in front of ya eyes

i wanna recreate that in my blender renders

i mean the ultimate thing i want to do would be to create a simulation in ue4, run it and then somehow export a short clip but all the shaders and models and movement were rendered in cycles

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like imagine how sick this would have been if rendered in a cycles

https://youtu.be/POQ3eoat9eI

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
You can render UE4 out in cycles to get a higher framerate capture, that's how most of the Paragon and Fortnite cinematics are captured. A shader like that is really easy in UE4, the physics might even be good enough too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
omg i need to learn how

because making physics simulations etc in ue4 is a billion times better than blender coz you can make it dynamic and interactive

thanks

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

FYI to all here, sketchfab has opened a model store - think turbosquid but with the ability to properly inspect the models first, look at the maps, find out for sure that it’s UVed, etc.

Right now they’re pretty locked down on who can become a seller, you need to have at least 10 models of good quality work (or an existing relationship with them), need to go through an approval process, etc - but this kind of model store is imo what the industry needed, as we’ve been burned over and over from poor descriptions/awful UVs/garbage geo on Turbosquid et al models.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

So I’m on the verge of springing for Houdini Indie and ZBrushCore, but I want some advice from y’all.

Houdini Indie:
I’ve been struggling to find the time to sit down and learn Houdini (I’ve had Apprentice installed for almost 2 years now, lol), and I’m thinking that putting some money on the line will give me that rear end-kick I need. There’s also the fact that one of our Clients is looking to integrate a Houdini/Arnold pipeline, and while we handle a bit of CG from concept to scene for them right now, being able to troubleshoot and integrate on our end could be beneficial once they make that switch. They’re also doing some Clarisse stuff, but man I don’t like that interface, so I’ve put that wayyy off on the back burner.

Our studio plan would be to get specific artists trained up and just rent the real-deal Houdini when we’d need to integrate (due to licensing concerns with Indie), but from a personal standpoint I’d like to be able to work with Renderman through it and make some $$ on the side.

Does there seem to be any big issues with this? Like, I assume I could do cool stuff in Houdini Indie, export it to Alembic and render in Blender if I wanted, or keep within the Houdini ecosystem and use Mantra/Renderman. It wouldn’t cause issues if I potentially just uninstall or not use Indie when we rent the big boy version, right?

ZBrushCore:
ZBrushCore is the bigger unknown for me. I feel like I need to learn it, I’ve got some great books on doing creature art in R7, and I’ve used R8 at a friends, but the price has been beyond me since I’m mainly a Shading Artist that does prop modeling/geo cleanup when asked (and toooons of UVing 24/7, lol).

Looking at the comparison, Core is missing some of the modeling tools (ZModeler mainly) along with texture stuff and it has some limits: comparison chart. Are those differences going to seriously hamper me? Assume I want to use it for both organic and hard surface, and while I’d be bringing stuff into Blender after, I’d like to do as much as possible in ZBrush.

I’m not unwilling to spend $800 on a piece of software if the additional features are worth it, but since I’ve made my career out of Blender, Fusion/Resolve, Substance, and other free-to-use/low cost things, I need to justify that I’m getting benefits that aren’t available or are too complicated in what I currently use. Which is why I was leaning towards Core, but that comparison chart...

E: oof, no edge loops, creases, or auto retopo??? No UVs??? Pixologic considers those Advanced Features?! Man, that alone pretty much knocks it off the table - Blender’s sculpting tools aren’t bad by any means, and at least there I can sculpt, edit, retopo, UV, and render in one package.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 20, 2018

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Full Zbrush is worth it if you want to have it as a core part of your pipeline.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Anybody have any experience with the Boxx RenderPro 2 or equivalent?

We're looking to upgrade our workflow a little bit. We're mainly an ad agency, but we have features come through that utilize us for supporting VFX on things (and some of our commercial projects need it to). There's one coming through right now that's needing some minor fire work and, while creatively I feel up to the task, we aren't really built for dealing with simulation and render times on work like fire and water.

So I'm looking for a desk-side render solution that would be available to the three of us that work on VFX to dump off to and render when needed (and when we're not doing feature stuff... we can dump our AE renders out to it).

Boxx is just the first place I looked, but I'm open to other places and other total solutions that I'm just unfamiliar with.

Budget is around $3500-5000

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ceebee posted:

You can render UE4 out in cycles to get a higher framerate capture, that's how most of the Paragon and Fortnite cinematics are captured. A shader like that is really easy in UE4, the physics might even be good enough too

If anyone could show me the way to a link that was about this I would be highly interested and thankful

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

echinopsis posted:

If anyone could show me the way to a link that was about this I would be highly interested and thankful

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Sequencer/Workflow/index.html

You basically setup your camera and level and add command lines to the .exe file

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ceebee posted:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Sequencer/Workflow/index.html

You basically setup your camera and level and add command lines to the .exe file

thankyuou... this might make me very happy

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

making a lot more progress on blood gulch. still a lot left to do like vegetation, small boulders, the cave, the teleporters, halo skybox, etc. really playing around a lot with the colors and lighting also.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Can I have some user testimonies on the subject of Phoenix FD? I'm at a studio max and Vray studio and we don't have anything to do simulations. Ideally it's for print and web images so we need stuff that can look good and render in an optimised manner. Most dudes I work with are really good illustrators but kind of impatient on the 3D side of things as they often use pics and photoshop stuff. It works well, but for some stuff is hard if we don't get nice references on the net. Can it be learned quickly and be used efficiently by people that aren't FX artists? What kind of setup do you need licence wise?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

The Gasmask posted:

So I’m on the verge of springing for Houdini Indie and ZBrushCore, but I want some advice from y’all.

Houdini Indie:
I’ve been struggling to find the time to sit down and learn Houdini (I’ve had Apprentice installed for almost 2 years now, lol), and I’m thinking that putting some money on the line will give me that rear end-kick I need. There’s also the fact that one of our Clients is looking to integrate a Houdini/Arnold pipeline, and while we handle a bit of CG from concept to scene for them right now, being able to troubleshoot and integrate on our end could be beneficial once they make that switch. They’re also doing some Clarisse stuff, but man I don’t like that interface, so I’ve put that wayyy off on the back burner.

Our studio plan would be to get specific artists trained up and just rent the real-deal Houdini when we’d need to integrate (due to licensing concerns with Indie), but from a personal standpoint I’d like to be able to work with Renderman through it and make some $$ on the side.

Does there seem to be any big issues with this? Like, I assume I could do cool stuff in Houdini Indie, export it to Alembic and render in Blender if I wanted, or keep within the Houdini ecosystem and use Mantra/Renderman. It wouldn’t cause issues if I potentially just uninstall or not use Indie when we rent the big boy version, right?

ZBrushCore:
ZBrushCore is the bigger unknown for me. I feel like I need to learn it, I’ve got some great books on doing creature art in R7, and I’ve used R8 at a friends, but the price has been beyond me since I’m mainly a Shading Artist that does prop modeling/geo cleanup when asked (and toooons of UVing 24/7, lol).

Looking at the comparison, Core is missing some of the modeling tools (ZModeler mainly) along with texture stuff and it has some limits: comparison chart. Are those differences going to seriously hamper me? Assume I want to use it for both organic and hard surface, and while I’d be bringing stuff into Blender after, I’d like to do as much as possible in ZBrush.

I’m not unwilling to spend $800 on a piece of software if the additional features are worth it, but since I’ve made my career out of Blender, Fusion/Resolve, Substance, and other free-to-use/low cost things, I need to justify that I’m getting benefits that aren’t available or are too complicated in what I currently use. Which is why I was leaning towards Core, but that comparison chart...

E: oof, no edge loops, creases, or auto retopo??? No UVs??? Pixologic considers those Advanced Features?! Man, that alone pretty much knocks it off the table - Blender’s sculpting tools aren’t bad by any means, and at least there I can sculpt, edit, retopo, UV, and render in one package.

I have Zbrushcore and i cant really recommend it. there is only 3 outstanding features. Zspheres for prototyping model fast, radial symmetry, and applying textures to sculpt strokes.
everything else exists in blender. I wouldnt use zbrushcore for hard surfacing either, mainly because you cant create your own insert brushes.
Full Zbrush however does look like a cool tool.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Odddzy posted:

Can I have some user testimonies on the subject of Phoenix FD? I'm at a studio max and Vray studio and we don't have anything to do simulations. Ideally it's for print and web images so we need stuff that can look good and render in an optimised manner. Most dudes I work with are really good illustrators but kind of impatient on the 3D side of things as they often use pics and photoshop stuff. It works well, but for some stuff is hard if we don't get nice references on the net. Can it be learned quickly and be used efficiently by people that aren't FX artists? What kind of setup do you need licence wise?

I have a license with Maya and VRay. I would say it's "easy" to get started at least for people that are familiar with 3D programs, etc. But definitely not for 2D artists if they don't have some experience already in that vein. I'm at an ad agency and there's no way our print and web designers would no where to even begin. But for me, while not very experienced with simulation, I was able to get the gist pretty easily.

As far as licenses, not sure what you're asking... but the license setup is pretty traditional.

What kind of simulations are you doing? We're about to start some experiments with me doing simulations, then exporting meshes to the designers to use in the new Adobe Dimensions software.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

BonoMan posted:

What kind of simulations are you doing? We're about to start some experiments with me doing simulations, then exporting meshes to the designers to use in the new Adobe Dimensions software.

I'm curious about water setups, waves and splashes. Also explosions.

Workflow would probably be do sims and bake the mesh at a frame we like and use that for a base for the 2D artists. Do special volumetric material nodes come packaged with Phoenix or everything is already in vray?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Odddzy posted:

I'm curious about water setups, waves and splashes. Also explosions.

Workflow would probably be do sims and bake the mesh at a frame we like and use that for a base for the 2D artists. Do special volumetric material nodes come packaged with Phoenix or everything is already in vray?

I honestly can't remember. I think there are some presets - since volumetric materials really just need a good base material and you can alter properties.

You could bake the mesh and send the mesh to Adobe Dimension/Photoshop and texture the mesh there (instead of just outputting a 2D render).

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
the phoenix presets are pretty solid, super quick to get going.
there's no way someone who isnt innately familiar with 3d software is going to be able to do anything with it (outside of learning their way around the software)
render licenses are free (maybe included in vray?) & you pay for simulation licenses.

phoenix & vray play together super nice when you want the sims to emit light and interact with other things, but it can be rendered in scanline and look pretty good too.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

cubicle gangster posted:

the phoenix presets are pretty solid, super quick to get going.
there's no way someone who isnt innately familiar with 3d software is going to be able to do anything with it (outside of learning their way around the software)
render licenses are free (maybe included in vray?) & you pay for simulation licenses.

phoenix & vray play together super nice when you want the sims to emit light and interact with other things, but it can be rendered in scanline and look pretty good too.

How many simulation licences would you think is adequate?

The 2D guys i'm talking about all know how to do posing and rendering in 3DS max, they're just not really up to date on proper workflows in some areas but you can show them how to do vray proxies and then they understand how to use them. The thing I fight the most for at times is explaining to a few guys how spending a bit more time in 3D can actually help them down the line instead of patching everything with pics. I don't want to sound like i'm throwing anyone under the bus, they're real good.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
If all you're trying to do is simulate something kind of basic so that 2d artists can paint over it with the correct perspective / good detail, you can get by with just one.

You need more when simulation is more in depth - you'd use them to run 5 near identical sims over night with slight variations, then you'd pick the best and do it again. for ad work I imagine you could take whatever result it gave you and make it work. plus the scale/detail level needed for heavily retouched stills is probably a touch smaller meaning you could do a few low res options during the work day, crunch a high detail one over night and call it a day with that.

I dont really know how often you'd be using it - if you get a lot of overlap between projects, but it would be worth designating one person to spend a long time on it at first making a bunch of max files with sources and sim setups which generate certain types of splashes, drips, smoke etc which can then have the object replaced and a new sim spat out relatively quickly when an ad needs it. That practice / understanding will be invaluable in the future.
If you try and use it every now and then, forcing someone who hasn't touched it in a month to get back to grips with the interface and watch tutorials you'll be wasting time.

There's a big gap in it between managing to get a result that looks the way you want and knowing why you got that result.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 31, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely consider it all. I was especially thinking about this part as something I could propose to my supervisors and work out a way to do some scenes over the next year.

cubicle gangster posted:

it would be worth designating one person to spend a long time on it at first making a bunch of max files with sources and sim setups which generate certain types of splashes, drips, smoke etc which can then have the object replaced and a new sim spat out relatively quickly when an ad needs it. That practice / understanding will be invaluable in the future.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I have question regarding the Max FBX exporter. I am using the hose primitive to, you guessed it, animate a hose on a model. Now I need to export this into Unity, but Max does not create keys for the hose object. Any ideas how I might get this data into Unity?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I have question regarding the Max FBX exporter. I am using the hose primitive to, you guessed it, animate a hose on a model. Now I need to export this into Unity, but Max does not create keys for the hose object. Any ideas how I might get this data into Unity?

Point cache it?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

EoinCannon posted:

Point cache it?

Yeah, I was getting this in a couple of hits from Google, but the Unity3d importer does not respect it, and I've found some scripts that could bake it but no dice as of yet.

Is there nothing that says: Convert this to keys?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Yeah, I was getting this in a couple of hits from Google, but the Unity3d importer does not respect it, and I've found some scripts that could bake it but no dice as of yet.

Is there nothing that says: Convert this to keys?

The workflow we use in the office is to create a progressive Morpher out of it. It's not a great or even a terribly good solution. (Progressive Morph can only have a max of 24 morph targets, barf)

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Well I haven't really found a solution for this using Max, but I did find a workaround. I have the Ultimate Rope Editor package for Unity and have used this to create a rope/hose in place of the Max one. Might not be how I wanted it, but it gets the job done.
Thanks for the help guys, I am still baffled that this is so hard in Max though.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Thanks Mutata and Dark Off! That’s exactly the info I needed, looks like I’ll be springing for ZBrush full soon. I keep on getting blown away by what my coworkers and people here come up with using it, and I want in on that goodness.

Unrelated, but I was talking with my boss about POVRay and how it was one of the earliest CG experiences for both of us, and lo and behold they just released a new beta for it! Over 30 years and still being developed... somewhere out there, a kid is rendering his first mirror sphere and being so proud of himself.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 2, 2018

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Well I haven't really found a solution for this using Max, but I did find a workaround. I have the Ultimate Rope Editor package for Unity and have used this to create a rope/hose in place of the Max one. Might not be how I wanted it, but it gets the job done.
Thanks for the help guys, I am still baffled that this is so hard in Max though.

Has Ultimate Rope Editor been updated to work with Unity 2017? We used it in a project a few years ago and it got really broken a few Unity updates ago.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

Has Ultimate Rope Editor been updated to work with Unity 2017? We used it in a project a few years ago and it got really broken a few Unity updates ago.

Works a treat, I've been using it in a crane-simulation so it gets a good workout so to speak. This is Unity 2017.01.0f3.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Any good resources out there for animating/shading biomedical stuff like cells? Currently trying to create soft-bodied microorganisms and have them absorb each other in combat. Probably via nCloth or something.

(these friendly dudes are HIV)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fresnel shaders are all the rage for biomedical renders.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Fresnel shaders are all the rage for biomedical renders.

Also, Mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Handiklap posted:

Also, Mario.

EVERYTHING HAS FRESNEL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9rgG2vPAvQ&t=133s

Kanine fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 4, 2018