Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Huh, so Modo has a literal turntable button to render, well, turntables. :doh:
I learned how to animate a little because I didn’t know

Anyway,.. Whats an easy way to convert a bunch of png frames into a video for YouTube or general sharing? For free, since I don’t have video editing soft and it’s too expensive just for random stuff

do it from the command line like a real computer toucher with ffmpeg

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24961127/how-to-create-a-video-from-images-with-ffmpeg

e: there are better links to help u understand it , but you’ll have to find themselves yourself :chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Yeah, I know, just wondering if there was an app or something that did this specifically. Like a one click thing. i’m not looking to get into “real” video editing, but if I must, Natron looks interesting

I might actually try it from a command line just to see if it’s not easier with some scripting 🤔

Edit: hah I just checked your link, that actually looks like it, thanks :D

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Huh, so The Foundry got bought by Roper Technologies (???)

Never heard of them, or their owned businesses - http://www.ropertech.com/application-software

Wonder if this is good or bad for Modo 🤔

Better a non-vfx based investor backing them than anyone within the industry. They seem stable and are pretty diversified. Stock price is way higher than autodesk...
Someone like that should be able to provide some financial support without poking around in the goods or wanting to change their product direction to 'synergize' with their other investments.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

Better a non-vfx based investor backing them than anyone within the industry. They seem stable and are pretty diversified. Stock price is way higher than autodesk...
Someone like that should be able to provide some financial support without poking around in the goods or wanting to change their product direction to 'synergize' with their other investments.

Yeah it seems like a purchase that Roper wants for their portfolio and to make them money rather than "I want to kill a competitor and/or shittily implement their tech" purchases.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, I know, just wondering if there was an app or something that did this specifically. Like a one click thing. i’m not looking to get into “real” video editing, but if I must, Natron looks interesting

I might actually try it from a command line just to see if it’s not easier with some scripting 🤔

Edit: hah I just checked your link, that actually looks like it, thanks :D

yeah in the end i just saved a .txt file with the command I found that ended up working, and would copy and paste it into powershell. once i worked out the command it was easy as and honestly pretty quick. i was making .png image sets from blender and it was the nicest way to make into a file while keeping huge quality

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Huh, so Modo has a literal turntable button to render, well, turntables. :doh:
I learned how to animate a little because I didn’t know

Anyway,.. Whats an easy way to convert a bunch of png frames into a video for YouTube or general sharing? For free, since I don’t have video editing soft and it’s too expensive just for random stuff

Check out BlackMagic's Fusion and DaVinci Resolve. One's a compositor (Fusion), another is an video editor (Resolve). Both have free versions that work really well and have few restrictions and can handle exactly what you're looking to do.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

autojive posted:

Check out BlackMagic's Fusion and DaVinci Resolve. One's a compositor (Fusion), another is an video editor (Resolve). Both have free versions that work really well and have few restrictions and can handle exactly what you're looking to do.

The new free version of Resolve has Fusion built in too.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Quick question about multiple GPUs- I'm planning to add an RTX 2070 pretty soon, I've currently been working with a GTX 780, and I'm going to use both of them for rendering with Redshift. Does it matter which PCIe slot each card occupies on my motherboard? Does it matter which card is connected to my monitor, and which slot that card occupies?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Does anyone have any good recommendations for laptops for light CG work? It just needs to be powerful enough for some light modeling in 3ds max or creating materials in Substance Designer. No rendering duties, I have my desktop for that. I have a 2 hour train commute and I want to make that time working on my side gigs.

I'm coming from a 3kg Thinkpad T530 so I think every current-gen laptop will be lighter than that. Just no 17" behemoths.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I have an older model of this ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BPB158F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3VQKCbKZ1Y84F) that has a 1070 instead of a 1050Ti and it's awesome. Downside is that it's heavy and can't go more than 2 hours unplugged. However, I can run Zbrush, Max, substance designer, and even games like Apex Legends with no problem at all. I now use it more than my desktop.

Realistically, any gaming laptop with a 10xx series NVIDIA GPU and an SSD will do just fine. I'd probably steer away from Alienware just because I think they're overpriced for what you get, but they are great machines. Personally, I'd look at either Asus ROG or MSI gaming laptops. They'll be a bit heavy, but will be great bang for the buck.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, the laptop 10-series is amazing compared to earlier ones.
I use mine whenever I need to run VR stuff at an exhibition or stand or what have you.
A laptop 1070 with sufficient cooling will easily outperform a desktop 980 (By +10% or so, I think it was. )

And due to the massive push towards smaller gaming laptops, there's a ton of thin, light laptops that can do anything a desktop can, provided you have the budget. I just wish they'd stop loving wasting money with these dumb 120 and 144hz monitors in them.
Clevo (and their retailers like Sager, multicom, etc.) have some great pcs at very good pricepoints, provided you find a retailer that stocks more than just the most expensive ones.
A lot of Clevo retailers mostly just push the most expensive ones, but the one we have here in norway (multicom.) has system-building options and configs, so they're pretty reasonable, atleast as reasonable as expensive laptops can be.

(My P670RS-G with a i7-6820HK & 1070 was roughly 200-300$ cheaper than getting a pc with the same specs from asus or msi at the time, so I'm pretty happy with it. Though it's an older model and outside your weight class ( 3.3kg, 17inch. ))

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 21, 2019

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

BonoMan posted:

The new free version of Resolve has Fusion built in too.

Interesting. I haven't checked on that software for quite a while. I'll have to check it out and see how well they work together.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

By the way, kinda 3DCG related, since it's usually run in the same programs:
If I wanted semi-decent cloth physics for an animation (baked to alembic, or morph/shape-flipbook.), what are some good options?
(Nothing super fancy, it's mostly for hobby stuff, since there's no use/need for cloth sims at work.)

I work + animate in Maya, but trying to use Maya's nCloth for anything is just excruciatingly slow the moment there's any complexity. (Like, even a shirt driven by a low poly, ~2500 tri ncloth mesh will easily drop the scene down to 3-5 fps even at preview settings, where there are plenty of simulation errors due to the low stepcount.)
(After all, it doesn't support multithreading as far as I know, only multiple threads if there are multiple separate, independent solvers.)

Should I just bite the bullet and start trying to learn Houdini for stuff like cloth/dynamics? (And I guess later more procedural modelling.)
Vellum seems pretty interesting, but as with anything showing off the features of programs, it's hard to see how performant they actually are in practice, in the hands of an idiot(me).

(Marvelous is also an option I suppose, since I already use it for clothes, but I'm unsure how practical it is to juggle an animation between it and maya to get a clothing sim running.
Vellum seems like it would pretty much let me do the entire clothing stack start-to-sim in the same program, giving more flexibility without juggling around as much.)

Does anyone have any experience with the new dynamics they've added recently? It seems like Vellum is just part of multiple gpu-accelerated ones.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

SubNat posted:

(Marvelous is also an option I suppose, since I already use it for clothes, but I'm unsure how practical it is to juggle an animation between it and maya to get a clothing sim running.

Pretty sure this is how most people use it. It doesnt have complex tearing or interaction with other sims, but if you want simple cloth sims it's the best and easiest by a mile. Importing animations onto a model you've already loaded to arrange the fabric over is super simple.
Houdini might be alright if you already know it, but it seems odd to spend the time learning if you already have MD.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, I guess it's just that this is just another 'well gently caress, that makes it more temping to learn houdini' thing to add to an already tall pile.
I've only used MD for a little while, mostly this year(trial, then subscription.), so it's not a huge barrier if I work in something else, especially since I could use the non-commercial version of Houdini to get the hang of it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Houdini has this horrible reputation as "DUDE it's like learning to speak Egyptian!"

Does anyone here actually use Houdini and can confirm or deny? It's definitely on my list after I master modeling and rendering and animation and texturing and tantric sex

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SubNat posted:

By the way, kinda 3DCG related, since it's usually run in the same programs:
If I wanted semi-decent cloth physics for an animation (baked to alembic, or morph/shape-flipbook.), what are some good options?
(Nothing super fancy, it's mostly for hobby stuff, since there's no use/need for cloth sims at work.)

I work + animate in Maya, but trying to use Maya's nCloth for anything is just excruciatingly slow the moment there's any complexity.

I haven't tried cloth in Houdini17 yet, which is supposedly major improvement (Takes forever for our pipeline tools to catch up, so we're still on 16.5)...however, nCloth is still one the best/most efficient options out there...and is very stable compared to most others.

Houdini has this horrible reputation as "DUDE it's like learning to speak Egyptian!"

Does anyone here actually use Houdini and can confirm or deny? It's definitely on my list after I master modeling and rendering and animation and texturing and tantric sex

The learning curve is very steep. Its very hard to learn by prodding around and the amount of skills needed to learn in order to actually produce stuff is more complex than Maya.
However, once you learn, you can produce stuff at a higher level of quality much faster. Apart from nCloth (see above) I can see no reason why I should ever use Maya again for FX. Animation/Modelling sucks donkey balls, though.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

SubNat posted:

Vellum seems pretty interesting, but as with anything showing off the features of programs, it's hard to see how performant they actually are in practice, in the hands of an idiot(me).

I'm an idiot, this isn't my field, etc. but given that I was able to get a simulation out of Vellum in about 30 minutes of messing around with it. It's pretty easy to work with, at least for basic things. This was a quick video to show my students the concept of the growing lung pushing into the side of the pleural sac during development; I have one side of the sac as a Vellum cloth object, with constraints at the edges to keep it attached to the rest of the sac. More time was spent on animating the growth of the lung bud than on setting up the Vellum solver. I don't know how good Vellum is for simulating actual clothes and I haven't used their cloth tools specifically so no idea on that.

The guys at Entagma have some basic intro videos on using it that I found helpful, and they have more locked behind the paywall of their Patreon that look interesting (shrinkwrap setup for instance).

But as ImplicitAssembler notes above, Houdini has a steep learning curve; so that 30 minutes is after learning how to work in the UI, work with nodes and variables, parameters, attributes, etc. and you're going to need to learn the built-in scripting language if you want to do anything really powerful with it. It's a lot of fun though and you can learn with their Apprentice version and this resource is pretty good for running through basics.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Sops, chops, dops, vops, vexes, cops and rops: The Houdini Story

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Gearman posted:

For anyone looking for a solid replacement for Photoshop, I can highly recommend Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/desktop/

They run $50 each, one-time only cost, though you can usually find them on discount a few times a year.

They have a bit of a learning curve, but I've been able to do everything in them that I would in Photoshop, in addition to some other really nice features that Photoshop doesn't have. Also, they can open PSDs! Additionally, Affinity Photo has amazing support for panorama painting and EXRs for anyone that has to wrangle with IBLs. Highly recommend both Affinity Photo and Designer.

FYI Affinity is having it's Spring sale, 20% off everything right now.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Listerine posted:

and you're going to need to learn the built-in scripting language if you want to do anything really powerful with it. It's a lot of fun though and you can learn with their Apprentice version and this resource is pretty good for running through basics.

I have artists that can't script at all and still actually produce pretty good results just using sops. I do however want them to at least learn the basics, so that they can pick up setups from other people.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The learning curve is very steep. Its very hard to learn by prodding around and the amount of skills needed to learn in order to actually produce stuff is more complex than Maya.

For people just wanting to do a thing and move on, you can disregard this:

This is also an extremely generalized summary of what I personally believe. For anyone who has a career doing this stuff, the way Houdini and a few other applications make you work eventually gives you a much greater understanding of exactly what you're doing. From a beginner's standpoint it's not a "steeper" learning curve exactly. You're actually learning a lot more. You WILL gain a more fundamental understanding of the concepts and construction of things you do.

A lot of other applications with plugins/features that do X, you're often just sort of picking up on what sliders do to a black box. This is fine for producing things, but usually less than ideal for problem solving and understanding different solutions in the future.

I recently found this article on Hackaday that put it very well: A Python class should teach concepts and develop intuition about how computers solve problems. That’s a durable skill." This should also hold true for our industry too.

tuna fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 23, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I need to get caught up in this thread but hey - look at this cool tech at GDC

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mari just released 4.5 and they put up a bunch of discount codes for texture sites:
https://www.foundry.com/products/mari/texture-promo

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Been loving Mari recently, abandoning the layer editor and going full nodes, with the extension pack is a great way to do complex textures quickly

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

http://www.fresnobee.com/entertainment/movies-news-reviews/article128729769.html

I’m guessing this has probably been discussed here, but wow.

Rhythm & hues is dead, amazing. The Oscar video is sad

https://youtu.be/OH5Pc8Gd1lo

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 29, 2019

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
My boss was one of the R&H employees at the end, he helped do that BTS mini doc about the closing. Really sad to watch, especially with hindsight about how the industry went afterwards.

It's an overall crap situation for artists all around.

I've never done film VFX, but I've been doing TV for a bit now, and a lot of the same issues are present. Layers upon layers of vendors working on a single show, all taking on too much piecemeal work just to stay solvent, artists crunching far more than necessary because of fixed deadlines on multiple shows at once, tons of freelancers/contractors, and infinite revisions/pixelfucking.

I'm treated well by the two places I do work for, especially as I'm remote and normally wouldn't be able to do this, but there's still so much industry nonsense that if this wasn't my passion I'd have bailed after the first year.

I'd like to pivot to game work, whether doing modeling/shading or game soundtracks, but the stuff I read about games is often just as bad, so it seems like a "six of one, half dozen of the other" situation.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I'm watching that Life of Pi docu right now, it's so sad.

I remember in the late 90's Rhythm & Hues, Digital Domain, Blur Studios, were already legendary, of course that was the place to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lcB9u-9mVE

To me, seems like the same problem as the game industry: artists doing it for love of the art are bad businessmen, because, in truth, they'd probably do it for free anyway.

The analogy one of the artists makes is spot on - you got a bunch of people who show up at your door and go "I'll mow your lawn for the lowest price, it's gonna be perfect, if you don't like it just tell me and I'll mow it different, on schedule. Why? Well, I just love mowing lawns". Not sure the Hollywood businessmen are the only ones to blame here.

quote:

Really sad to watch, especially with hindsight about how the industry went afterwards.

What do you mean by this? I'm guessing it just got worse?

Ugh, this all sucks. The ironic thing is I'm learning to do it because I love it, but it just throws any ideas I had of "well maybe I can do some freelancing or contract work if I get really good at it" out the window. It's good to manage expectations. Better keep my day job I guess

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 29, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

http://www.fresnobee.com/entertainment/movies-news-reviews/article128729769.html

This is old news but still reverberates. I had a lot of friends who worked there. I still show that fresnobee link and the oscar speech to my students. It sometimes scares them. As it should.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

sigma 6 posted:

This is old news but still reverberates. I had a lot of friends who worked there. I still show that fresnobee link and the oscar speech to my students. It sometimes scares them. As it should.

Yeeeeeah, just googling “VFX industry problems”, recent links and articles indicate nothing has changed.

In one of the older documentaries they mentioned London as a possible hope for a better industry, but apparently nothing happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZMWjxLmtuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuL5R-ytoM

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

What do you mean by this? I'm guessing it just got worse?

Ugh, this all sucks. The ironic thing is I'm learning to do it because I love it, but it just throws any ideas I had of "well maybe I can do some freelancing or contract work if I get really good at it" out the window. It's good to manage expectations. Better keep my day job I guess

It's not that it got worse, it's more that no amount of drive from individual artists for unionization can compete against the power of the studios, and no vendors are willing to stick their necks out. So no lessons learned, industry is doomed to repeat itself.

Don't give up on the idea of freelance/contract though. A huuuuuge amount of the whole of VFX at least is done by those groups. I can't find it now, but when I was going through VES info, they stated their membership was something like 70% freelancers and contractors.

Its probably not a good idea as the only work you do though, unless you have multiple clients, in which case get ready for nonstop conflicting deadlines and having to turn down work or crunch.

Not that it's a good thing, contractors at the very least should have access to the same "perks" (health insurance, retirement, PTO/sick leave) as regular employees, and they don't.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Was the presenters' (Downey Jr, Jackson, Ruffalo) introduction planned, or did Jackson intentionally cut out that chunk?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Listerine posted:

Was the presenters' (Downey Jr, Jackson, Ruffalo) introduction planned, or did Jackson intentionally cut out that chunk?

Looked like Downey wanted to say a few words off script and Jackson wasn't having it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Listerine posted:

I don’t know but it comes off even worse anyway

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeeeeeah, just googling “VFX industry problems”, recent links and articles indicate nothing has changed.

In one of the older documentaries they mentioned London as a possible hope for a better industry, but apparently nothing happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZMWjxLmtuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuL5R-ytoM

I've been doing VFX for just about 20 years and did commercials before that.
I stopped watching the latter when he claimed that '21 major VFX studios closed in x-years'. R&H. DD almost a couple of times. Mill Film (Although not bankrupt, just decided it wasn't profitable and since Technicolour owns MPC anyways).
That's it. (As far as I can remember!)
Lots of smaller and a medium VFX have closed, for sure. Further, the jobs aren't jumping anywhere near as much as they claim. Vancouver has been pretty stable for the 10 years I've been here. Still tons of work in London. Both places with high level of subsidies. Sure, there's been ebb and flows, but there's always been work.
London is the only place that doesn't (legally) pay OT. All the major studios in Vancouver pay OT, including 'medium' places like Method and Image Engine.
You simply can't attract the talent if you don't.
15 years ago, you pretty much *had* to move to London or LA, with LA being the main hub. In some ways there's more choice now. London, Vancouver, Montreal, with limited amount of jobs also available in LA, San Francisco and Wellington. There's more work than ever.
Then there's the downsides; Schedules jumping all over the place, clients loving about more than ever, deadlines changing due to simulations, test screenings, etc, often making it hard to effectively plan around it. Crunch time, in some places, is chronic and there's definitely nowhere near as much time to 'make it look nice' as there used to be. It's definitely not family friendly, but then it never was. It takes hard work, talent and a good bit of luck to get anywhere within the industry.
I'm definitely not loving the long hours anymore and are doing my best to minimize them. I've learned to say no although it doesn't always work.
So yeah, it takes passion and dedication to work in VFX. It's not a job you do for the money, because although the pay reasonable, it simply isn't worth it when you're on your 3rd month of 7-day weeks.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
After being in the games industry for just a few years (as a freelancer/contractor at that) it loving boggles my mind how anyone can be against unionizing this industry and outright loving demanding that we be treated better. gently caress capitalism lmao

Anyway support Game Workers Unite they're doing good stuff https://www.gameworkersunite.org/

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Garbage men have better unions than Polygon jockeys lol

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
idk guys i got into garbage manning because of my love of the hobby and i just want to really push the genre and tell interesting garbage stories. im not really in it for the profit

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"I'm not in it for the money" is my main long-term career goal, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

And a lot of the vfx studios that ‘close’ just pop right back once their debts are settled in court proceedings. It’s why DD is on 3.0, Mill Film is back, studios in Toronto go out of business and then reopen a few weeks later with the same projects but a different name for legal reasons.

The whole process of getting projects is also twisted. Vendors bid for shows with absurd schedules and budgets, and of course both they and the studio know that it’s unrealistic. So when the time comes and the project is still months out from being delivered, Hollywood will throw a few more million at it. The bids and schedules at the start are all just part of a game the companies are playing to see if they can squeeze just a little more out of each other. There’s a dozen major films whose tentative release dates are in 2019 but there’s no way they’re gonna come out until 2020, and everyone involved knows and plans for this.