Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

sigma 6 posted:

The roughness of the specularity (though it is not clearly defined as specularity) seems to be the key in the metal shader. Anisotropic will give lines not unlike the lines on a vinyl record record. I am going to continue experimenting but it seems like some keyshot artists use metal, some use leather, some use plastic, and some tweak translucent materials until they get what they want. In my experience, in the last couple of years, anisotropic tends to get the best result but again... more experimenting is in order. Finally Luxion has acknowledged via email that there isn't enough information out there.

It looks like it's just a standard PBR shader. If you want to experiment, you should just try and get Vray tutorials that explain how to do realistic hair and go from there. The stuff that will be the most useful is a way to map a gradient along the splines in keyshot to drive the alpha and bleached tips. Besides that, The second render, to me, looks like it's the most realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Vray has 2 different custom hair materials, i dont think a tutorial will translate.

good reading though.
https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/Hair+Material+%7C+VRayHairMtl

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY4MAX/VRayHairNextMtl

the links to the research papers they are based on are at the bottom of the page.

for what it's worth, i also thought 2 & 3 looked a lot more like hair than the others. I would have said the bottom one looks the least like actual hair.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Interesting you guys are picking out the metal vs. the anisotropic (which I prefer). Probably didn't help that I changed the colors in the last one.

I will look at the research paper and make a version with some opacity ramps and normal maps. Luxion sent me some fur shaders to try out so I will pick those apart as well. If anyone is interested in them I can share them. Just looks like a lot more tweaking / experimenting is what is needed but it is worth noting (as I pointed out to Luxion) that most major renderers now come with a hair shader built in. Including Arnold and Vray it seems.

Cursory look at those Vray docs and it looks like there are a LOT more settings and info. Thanks again. Might be too much but I will try to emulate as much as possible.

EDIT: Meh - the keyshot "Fur material" they sent which works with Keyshot 7 is just a tweaked velvet shader with the roughness set to .5... Lame. I couldn't try out the other one because I don't have Keyshot 8. At least they acknowledged there wasn't enough documentaton and requested their team do some kind of tutorial. We'll see if that happens or when. *sigh*

EDIT 2:

Took a break from hairballs to tackle this dragon. Getting closer to finish the detailing but I am not sure how I feel about the horns. Ridges need a lot of fixing but I meant the number, arrangement, and posing of the horns. Thinking about adding small horns or nubs on the zygomatic arch and / or chin. Also - the scales don't match between the head and neck and that's kind of hard to ignore.

hmmm...

Double hmmm....

VVV That's adorable. lol VVV

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 23, 2019

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A stupid idea and a quiet weekend

The Pugasus

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Haha I love it. I feel like that kinda character could be good rigged up and out in some short animated clips to rack up YouTube views.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like most of the time when I post on polycount asking for feedback nobody responds, does anyone have suggestions on getting more/better critique online?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone have any tips on finding freelance work outside of just the Polycount jobs board?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I got some work when I freelanced by haunting Reddit's GameDevClassifieds sub, but my best client was from Twitter followed up with good old-fashioned face to face networking at a conference.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Cross posting this from the game making thread but it probably fits here or maybe the daily doodles thread. Starting to try out sculpting in VR. No real sculpting experience to speak of but it seems pretty cool to me so far.

I got a Rift S the other day with the intention of using it for game design and just general messing around in VR. I'm not much of an artist but Oculus Medium is fun. You can get pretty decent results with just default brushes and stamps.

After a couple of wavy blobs and whatnot I figured I should try something more than a doodle.

First sculpt: Mermaid Medusa...Merdusa I guess? Don't know exactly. Didn't have much of a plan but this is what came out.

Really enjoying it, and looking forward to doing more.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Kanine posted:

I feel like most of the time when I post on polycount asking for feedback nobody responds, does anyone have suggestions on getting more/better critique online?

Forums, on average, are dead when it comes to honest critique. It's all about pushing your brand "Art of X" now.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
This isn't 3D art specific, but in general if you want feedback on a voluntary basis it's best to ask about a specific facet of the work. If I'm not obligated to provide criticism, when someone asks for general feedback, there is a lot of inertia to overcome to get myself moving. It's a lot easier if I'm asked to provide feedback on something specific- my attention is directed, and it's a smaller task than an overall criticism, so I'm more likely to commit to it if I think it's only going to take 5 minutes. Once the door is opened and you have someone's attention, it's easier to keep the conversation going.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Around 10-15 years ago the quality of help and discussions on forums was a world away from where it is today. cgtalk gets a near weekly (or did until i stopped bothering to go on it) 'i want to make a 5 minute short film, what software do i need to learn to make stuff like this and how do i do it' while posting a clip from the avengers.

A good friend just started a podcast called 'wrong loving question', which poses that (unsurprisingly) the shift is a result of the way the questions are being asked rather than a lack of people willing to help.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/372026

forums have died in general - and unfortunately suddenly asking the 'right' question will only go so far if nobody else is also asking the right questions to foster the growth of a community again.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 28, 2019

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Hah, I saw the wrong loving question guys at a thing I was at earlier this month! Liked what they went over, and they brought up some good points about teaching younger/newbie artists.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

This should probably be for the digital art thread but it's an art dome entry so I am hoping for critique before final submission.

vs.

Kinda thinking handwriting in marker or something instead of the formal font.

Really unsure about the cornea going all the way around the eye and giving it a beachball effect. Also the moon "fade" kind of competes with the eye texture although the original concept was a moon kind of turning into an eye....dunno if any of it works anymore.

"That's no moon..."

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like the first one that looks like a stack of polaroids. There is a dark line at the bottom of the eyeball, its the ground reflection from a really sharp angle, but it looks like an alpha blending error or a stroke outline. The sky reflecting on the top looks natural but the bottom keeps catching my eye. Have you tried just painting that part out? Maybe just erode the alpha inward a bit.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The font and text treatment looks much better in the first one. handwriting might look good too.

I think making the eye realistically reflective is whats giving you trouble. the reflection doesnt make sense for a moon - it's reflecting the ground as if it's only 100ft above it.
Did you try a realistic moon which has a huge crater that mimics the iris pattern?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

I like the first one that looks like a stack of polaroids. There is a dark line at the bottom of the eyeball, its the ground reflection from a really sharp angle, but it looks like an alpha blending error or a stroke outline. The sky reflecting on the top looks natural but the bottom keeps catching my eye. Have you tried just painting that part out? Maybe just erode the alpha inward a bit.

Ah - the moon layer doesn't quite line up with the bottom of the eye. I see what you mean now. Or do you mean on the far left side angling up?
It is an HDR of a sunset so it is actually the sun reflecting in the eye. Not sure how much it works only because the overall color scheme and tone is more like dusk.

cubicle gangster posted:

The font and text treatment looks much better in the first one. handwriting might look good too.

I think making the eye realistically reflective is whats giving you trouble. the reflection doesnt make sense for a moon - it's reflecting the ground as if it's only 100ft above it.
Did you try a realistic moon which has a huge crater that mimics the iris pattern?

I agree about the reflectivity. The "cornea" effect isn't helping the "moon effect" ... Not sure what you mean about the last part. I mean, I think I understand what you mean but I am not sure how I would find a moon with craters that looked like the iris of an eye.
Although this one might qualify...

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
I second the above. The sans-serif looks great right now honestly, you could play with it more but I’d stick with its essence. Handwritten could be interesting, but I think anything other than neat allcaps might overwhelm the rest of the image.

For craters - I’m pretty sure there are some nutty photos of Callisto out there that you could color-edit the hell out of too. Consider: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valhalla_(crater) (though this is the opposite pattern I suppose.) maybe Io even? Some of those outer solar system moons are weird enough to give you a lot to work with.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I figured cubicle meant a big exaggerated crater the size of the iris and either a smaller deeper crater or mesa sticking up acting as the pupil. but thats a pretty big thematic redesign

as for the outline thing, I meant literally just the darker line you see at the bottom/leftish edge of the eyeball. I don't think its your layers being misaligned, just the ground reflection showing up too strongly. You could just paint it out in photoshop to avoid re-rendering, clone from the colors slightly above the line and see if it helps or doesn't

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

I figured cubicle meant a big exaggerated crater the size of the iris and either a smaller deeper crater or mesa sticking up acting as the pupil. but thats a pretty big thematic redesign

yeah that is what i meant. Doing a zbrush sculpt of a giant crater that lines up with the iris you have now, with the slopes of the crater having the iris pattern sculpted in.

You might not even need to sculpt it - just use the eye image you have now as a displacement map in combination with the moon diffuse texture.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

yeah that is what i meant. Doing a zbrush sculpt of a giant crater that lines up with the iris you have now, with the slopes of the crater having the iris pattern sculpted in.

You might not even need to sculpt it - just use the eye image you have now as a displacement map in combination with the moon diffuse texture.

Definitely works a lot better without the reflective cornea. Handwriting feels more 80's to me too.

Quick stab at sculpting a moon crater texture with the existing iris.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 1, 2019

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That looks cool. Would be a lot of work to refine it and get a super clean z-brushed version though, yeah.

Here's one we finished a little while ago, client just posted it today. Final image was 10k high. Helped massively by all the detail work we'd already completed for the 50 other images, animations and VR. Would've been a hugely unreasonable amount of detail to implement had it been the only image or part of a smaller set.
100% cg - the only thing that isn't rendered is the hand painted highlight / shadow on the seafoam.

and a full res crop -

I've been having a great run on my personal project recently too - i'm about 2/3rds done with the 3d, a little over half way including postwork and fx. Building up a bit of momentum now after a couple month break early on when the to-do list was growing faster than I was taking things off it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 1, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

This is random but I wanted to share my friend's work.
Mostly because of the workflow. He sculpts using Gravity sketch in VR then renders with the new NPR (toon shading) in Zbrush. Pretty cool stuff. There is an HTC Vive at the local hackerspace and it makes me really want to play with sculpting in VR. For only 30 bucks on Steam it seems like a pretty cool approach.

A little closer maybe?

and one with the iris colored, although I am not sure it is any better.

Definitely think I might like the other font but the moon looks a little better. Maybe too detailed given the distance? Too much blur or damaged polaroid effects? gah.

cubicle gangster posted:

Here's one we finished a little while ago, client just posted it today. Final image was 10k high.

....jeebus.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 3, 2019

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Are there any good resources out there for learning how to do medical-oriented stuff in V-ray? I'm new to high-level rendering and suck rear end at doing anything with SSS or complex lighting.

Examples:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks pretty much like sss, fresnel and translucency all mixed a little. Nothing to do except practice rendering that stuff!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lots of fog and DOF too, which you can get for 'free" in post with a depth pass

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

do everything in post.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Most of those materials are pretty simple and vray has great presets for them. alsurface shader & scatter volume in a vrayblend are what you should be using, not the standard vray material.
Those material examples dont look particularly intense - theres a falloff map in the diffuse and a touch of SSS, but it's all geometry doing the work.
The lighting is super basic too - they probably have a hdri offering a desturated overall light with some subtle direction, then it's a gentle rim & fill lights to pick up highlights & make the SSS properties show up. LOTS of post. there's been a shitload of color shifting, massaging and overlays over every one of those.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 10, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Someone here a while back suggested I put a design on a t-shirt, around the same time someone else did too. I just wanted them to know that it helped inspire me to actually do so, and for the first time in my life make some money off something I have done creatively. It's also given my "art" a purpose, as for so long it was just purely for experimenting with the renderer (because god knows I'm terrible at modelling), but now I can direct it. I don't think I'll ever make much money but I dream big, and the hobby is actually healthy for me.. I used to do it for a while but get disheartened, probably because the results only ended up with a couple twitter likes and nothing else, but now maybe more like a few twitter likes. And maybe one day another t-shirt sale, or maybe even a print or commission. But I'm enjoying it a lot more now, and learning about the printing and manufacturing side of things is also very interesting regardless. I think I'll end up blowing all the profits I made with the initial burst of sales testing out other things that will remain undesirable, but we will see. I can only keep putting my mind and heart into designs and hoping someone will find them interesting enough to want to pay to have them in their life.

https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1148996573394690048
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1148919621384204288
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1145488498914291712
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1143477735634771979
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/949241744939298817

My gimmick is that I try to mostly only render the word rodtronics because then it would be quite worthless to copy and reproduce.. It comes at the cost of making the artwork worthless in the first place unfortunately but that's a cost I am willing to sacrifice for my brand.

e: but mostly wanted to say thanks, and shamelessly gloat about doing something I am proud of

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 10, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i told you in the drat yospos thread that i will buy one only if it has RODTRONICS on it

i need to display the brands with which i engage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

i told you in the drat yospos thread that i will buy one only if it has RODTRONICS on it

i need to display the brands with which i engage

It's a frustratingly long process my friend.. I ordered a sweatshirt around the same time I started the shop, and it only arrived yesterday, just in time for me to discover I do not approve of the sweatshirt stock itself. I want to be happy with the products I am selling to the masses, and this means settling on some designs but also, waiting 10-20 days for samples to arrive here in NZ, so I can be happy with them (design after printing, but also the material and cut) before I offer them. I learned black backgrounds to images like:

are terrible for printing. Someone has already brought one, before I received my sample.. They are content with it (I asked, am happy to fix problem if they have one), but I am not, so I have pulled the listings.

We are getting there, I just would like to have some pride in my work.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lots of fog and DOF too, which you can get for 'free" in post with a depth pass

This. Zdepth passes are invaluable once you get used to using them.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

echinopsis posted:

Someone here a while back suggested I put a design on a t-shirt, around the same time someone else did too.

Oh, I think that was me. Thanks for reminding me, I ordered one now.
Great to hear it gave you a kick in the rear end in the right direction!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

something like the first one on a t-shirt please

(helvetica is absolutely more appropriate for this electronics-textbook-cover design)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

something like the first one on a t-shirt please

(helvetica is absolutely more appropriate for this electronics-textbook-cover design)

Absolutely, I just need to figure out how to make near-black and fuzz look good on a print coz it’s not as easy as I thought lmao

gently caress tho making it look like a book is genius

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SubNat posted:

Oh, I think that was me. Thanks for reminding me, I ordered one now.
Great to hear it gave you a kick in the rear end in the right direction!

thanks man!! that’s fuckin epic. look at me being a grown up and earning a living

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Thanks for all the tips guys. Gonna be practicing for a long while until I get it right.

I was feeling pretty lost so I bought this tutorial pack for more than half off to supplement. Link if anybody new like me is interested:

http://mographplus.com/product/the-ultimate-introduction-to-v-ray-for-3ds-max/

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Putty posted:

Thanks for all the tips guys. Gonna be practicing for a long while until I get it right.

I was feeling pretty lost so I bought this tutorial pack for more than half off to supplement. Link if anybody new like me is interested:

Nice, Cubicle gangster sent some stuff viscorbel used to do as tutorials my way and it was a very good resource if you're looking for more stuff.

His website is locked off at work it seems so you can check this out :
https://en.calameo.com/subscriptions/3584761

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm missing around in blender using a volumetric shader to make most, but it doesn't seem to be resecting the edges of the cube. It looks fine the ever render window, but once I try and reader it out properly it fills the screen with fog.

Anything obvious I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Putty posted:

what version of max & vray are/will you be using?
It looks like that series was made for older versions of vray as they have the links for whats new in 3.5 and 3.6.
Next has a few more differences, mostly to GI and sampling. DMC sampling is different, but much, much easier to control. The IRmap is outdated now as LC/BF is much faster than it used to be. most materials are still very similar but the vray mat layout has had a minor layout overhaul. This series seems to be missing the alsurface material - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY4MAX/VRayALSurfaceMtl
Everything else seems pretty relevant.

it's also worth skimming the help files like a book - you wont remember everything, but you will remember where to find it when you forget. They have loaded it with interactive sliders showing what parameters do now too.