Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well about to enter my first real vfx crunch for the next 12 weeks. See you all on the other side...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is it rude for me to ask an indie developer if they're using store assets or if they're producing them in-house? if i do im going to preface it with saying both are valid, and that im asking mostly out of curiosity

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Kanine posted:

is it rude for me to ask an indie developer if they're using store assets or if they're producing them in-house? if i do im going to preface it with saying both are valid, and that im asking mostly out of curiosity

No, indie developers should use store assets if they need to. Hell, even professional studios these days use assets that are provided by Quixel/Gumroad/Adobe/etc. I would definitely ask, mainly so I could double check that the license usage is kosher with a product that might be sold or distributed.

Ccs posted:

Well about to enter my first real vfx crunch for the next 12 weeks. See you all on the other side...

Got some crappy producers or unrealistic timelines huh?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kanine posted:

I feel like the answer for the vast majority of indie devs is that they make most assets in-house and buy some of them. If you're wondering about specific assets, I'd just ask about those, and phrase it more like "can you tell me how you made X model/effect/texture." Then they can say "well actually we bought it" or they can tell you more about the creation process.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/jonkristinsson/status/1170487982970810368

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

There's a bake in my boot!

My latest image for NNAVM went public. My son is going on a field trip to D.C. next year, so it's pretty awesome he's going to get to see this under construction - and maybe some hanging banners with this latest image on them!

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 8, 2019

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

My weekend project. I'm making a plug-in that implements the functionality from Lifting from the Deep, an ML project which estimates 3D pose from a 2D image, into Blender. Pretty happy I even managed to get a visual result, considering I didn't know anything about scripting for Blender nor working with Python modules that can't be installed with pip. Next steps is to make it into a poseable skeleton, another field I have absolutely no experience in.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Fragrag posted:

My weekend project. I'm making a plug-in that implements the functionality from Lifting from the Deep, an ML project which estimates 3D pose from a 2D image, into Blender. Pretty happy I even managed to get a visual result, considering I didn't know anything about scripting for Blender nor working with Python modules that can't be installed with pip. Next steps is to make it into a poseable skeleton, another field I have absolutely no experience in.

Super rad. Hope you make it public / for sale afterwards

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
New ocean shader:

https://i.imgur.com/BnMeW22.mp4

It's a basic Gerstner waves shader from this tutorial, with some tweaks. The big one is that the function that calculates the wave position originally took as input a position in object space. I changed that to world space plus an offset provided by sampling a cloud texture. That does a nice job of making the waves more irregular, though the above clip makes them a bit too irregular; I toned it down a bit after that.

The distortion does add the cost of occasionally creating some odd "shadows" where the offsets make the waves too steep. You can see that in this screenshot: the top view is Unity's editor view showing the wave folding over itself, the bottom view is the in-game view.

But honestly it doesn't feel that bad; in-game your viewpoint generally can't get low enough to see that kind of thing.

On the whole I like this shader. I feel like it's a pretty good stylistic match for my other assets, and it's easy to configure so I can e.g. recolor it for sunset/nighttime missions, or tweak the wave height to simulate calmer or stormier waters.

Comedy option: too much distortion of the waves makes for some weird-looking effects:

https://i.imgur.com/Xbrs4If.mp4

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Matt_B730/status/1171257623166865408

the latest unreal update added something called runtime virtual textures (im still learning how it works exactly) it looks like a really nice addition

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kanine posted:

https://twitter.com/Matt_B730/status/1171257623166865408

the latest unreal update added something called runtime virtual textures (im still learning how it works exactly) it looks like a really nice addition

That video has nothing to do with runtime virtual textures.
VTs just means that the gpu can stream in only the parts of a texture that it needs for the scene (alongside cached, lower mips, so that there's still info if something is suddenly needed.)
It doesn't give any additional texturing effects or anything.

Kinda like megatextures in the ID engine, I believe.
And the goal is that they're just 'drag and drop' compatible with normal textures. With the added benefit of allowing for utterly massive lightmaps and other textures.
(Suddenly it's more practical to have 8kx8k lightmaps and such, allowing for even greater mesh batching for static scenes, for example. You only stream in the parts needed, after all. Dunno if lightmaps are supported right now though, I imagine support for them will be added once their new DXR Lightmass baker arrives, whenever that is.)

That video just looks like a normal, though slightly more complex terrain + object material that blends between different materials/textures based on, for example distance fields.

e: Like so: https://egray.io/blog/ue4-terrain-blending

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 10, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
oops sorry. i wasnt parsing the tweet correctly and misunderstood the first sentence and the second sentence as being related. my bad!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

No probs, I probably went in a bit too hard on correcting you. Sorry about that.

In any case, if you're interested in stuff like that, it's pretty much the same as say, swapping materials based on vertex painting, or world-aligned textures, just another way to drive the masking/blending process.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's cool dont worry, i didnt take it as rude

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I also enjoyed the technical post. I learned something.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

First pass on a new Zbrush project. Still have a long way to go. Especially on the hair and tertiary details.

EDIT:
A little more progress.

Worked on the eyelashes and lips as well as detailing the eyes.

Going with the pose in the last pic I think. Sculpting hair is hard. Ugh.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 16, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/MemesCG/status/1173936334072946688

memecg is a pretty good twitter account

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
I've officially made the plunge into Houdini! One client uses it as their main layout/rendering tool, another wants to start using it for sims, so I wanted to position myself in a good place to help 'em both out.

Took me about a week to get comfortable enough to recreate smaller scenes, and I've started to move into simming. I'm learning as I go too, which is working well enough.

I have goals (make a halloween-themed scene, make something coming out of a sand sim), so it's been a million times easier than "okay, here's a new program, now what?".

And as I'm figuring out the power of nodes for modeling/layout stuff, I'm pretty impressed. It's right in line with the depth I see using Designer, just wayyy more complex.

Kanine posted:

memecg is a pretty good twitter account

Hah! Memes like this always give me a chuckle, thanks!

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
https://twitter.com/memescg/status/1167400621919653888

Lolll okay, that meme page is even more up my alley than I realized

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah thanks for that link
https://twitter.com/MemesCG/status/1154672873950404608https://twitter.com/MemesCG/status/1146005882062462976

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SEchouafni/status/1170382379774615554

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Typically those are loose requirements, if you're good or you've got great work you can usually disregard that. My first job as Junior Character Artist had 2 years minimum experience, not 2 shipped titles and I still got the job fresh out of college.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ceebee posted:

Typically those are loose requirements, if you're good or you've got great work you can usually disregard that. My first job as Junior Character Artist had 2 years minimum experience, not 2 shipped titles and I still got the job fresh out of college.

yeah that's a good point actually, i should keep that more in mind

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/CsimsArt/status/1174390402297802752

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

I'm back from my holidays so here's an update on the 2D image to 3D pose Blender plug-in I was working on. It now creates a rig with correctly parented bones and I implemented a basic UI. I'm new to this branch of CG so I'm not sure if what I'm doing is correct. To position a bone, I moved the head and tail to their respective positions. However I feel the bone should have rather been rotated.

Next steps now will be to add a feature to have it create an industry standard rig such as Mixamo, restructure the project to Blender plug-in standards and maybe have a small release.

EDIT: Oh and some actual error catching

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/bobby/status/1175442953155878912

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Share your opinions or don't bother at all.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

Gamers are trash.

The whole thread is canceraids chuds not seeing the forest for the trees.

That artist is extremely talented.

I don't like the crushed blacks on the sweatshirt material.

In that order.

e: just, god *drat* does that whole thread make me want to cancel humans

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 22, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeak ok fine, i was being cynical, ill admit it.

edit: no actually i think im reasonable in being cynical

Kanine fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 23, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idgi

am I meant to realise it's fake? am I meant to be sad that he rendered some cds instead of like, anything else?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I don't understand the hate.
Renders look good.
Game looks like it might be great.
Cyberpunk is still a thing and seeing that RPG book brings back memories.
As an aside - Tomek Baginski has done a fantastic job going from SIGGRAPH shorts to his work with Projekt RED.
As some one who rarely games I hope this game lives up to the hype.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

echinopsis posted:

idgi

am I meant to realise it's fake? am I meant to be sad that he rendered some cds instead of like, anything else?

the tweet is like "look at this monument to consumerism"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
its a bit cringey that the artist has achieved that level of skill and uses the talent to 'recreate the feeling' of owning product, but some people are renaissance level painters who use their absolute understanding of light and shadow to draw hentai commissions so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who cares, good work bonus-edition render guy

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My opinion is that the piece, despite being technically proficient, is a waste and I don't see any real value in it beyond what it's worth to the artist themselves. It's a shame. I'm also never going to think about it again.

I think the product itself contains some questionable content and is being made by some problematic people and an exploitative company and I'm not celebrating its existence the way I would if a more reasonable or at least less-transparently-awful company had made it.

Then again, thereisnosuchthingasethicalconsumptionundercapitalism.com.

mutata fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 22, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

its a bit cringey that the artist has achieved that level of skill and uses the talent to 'recreate the feeling' of owning product, but some people are renaissance level painters who use their absolute understanding of light and shadow to draw hentai commissions so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who cares, good work bonus-edition render guy

Pretty much this. There are unboxing videos all over Youtube. So what? If you want to spend a long time making a photoreal render of something inane... again, so what? People have gotten a lot more attention for far less.

My question is why is the company who makes Cyberpunk any worse than any other gaming company? Say ... Blizzard?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It always struck me as odd, when I see people who have clear excellent talent, use it to draw pictures of hollywood celebrities or movie posters or something.. It always seemed a shame they wouldn't use it to create something original.

But I guess there is always a huge gap in divide between executing talent and creative talent. And I suppose there is also some kind of selection bias where redditors at r/pics upvote things they recognise rather than things they don't.

Me, I have a modicum of executing talent and little creative talent, but if you create enough things, some ok ones filter out. Maybe. It's best to never look at anything else anyone ever does, lest you realise your own talent bites

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

sigma 6 posted:

Pretty much this. There are unboxing videos all over Youtube. So what? If you want to spend a long time making a photoreal render of something inane... again, so what? People have gotten a lot more attention for far less.

My question is why is the company who makes Cyberpunk any worse than any other gaming company? Say ... Blizzard?

I don't have the thumb strength to get into it but CD Projekt RED unapologetically engages in extreme crunch , underpays their workers, and is reluctant to rescind problematic tweets and statements made at the expense of vulnerable groups, especially LGBTQ people. I would suggest you Google it further but I doubt that will be conducive to a satisfying, relaxing Sunday afternoon.

It is also my opinion that unboxing videos are inane wastes of time and resources, particularly for the children who are duped into watching them for hours giving their creators millions of views and a bunch of ad revenue. I think it's stupid and a weird, unfortunate, wasteful byproduct of the society/times we live in. It's one thing to be like "here's a still life I made" but it's another when the person is like "here's my fan art to consumerism". If that's the subject medium and reasoning for what they choose to spend their time making, power to them, but I find it the opposite of interesting. v:shobon:v

On the other hand, I don't really spend much time thinking about any of this stuff in my daily life, it's just we're sharing opinions here so I chimed in. Don't get me wrong, I don't really care that strongly in the grand scheme of things.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
actually yea, it's different for everyone but there's a point where something stops being just fanart and becomes a monument for consuming to consumption for consumptions sake

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
WOW, THIS CG RENDER OF THE JEWEL CASE OF A NEW GAME I HAVEN'T PLAYED YET LOOKS GREAT! CAN'T WAIT TO CONSUME THE PRODUCT, GET THE BATTLE PASS AND DERIVED PRODUCTS FROM THE IP.

The guy that did that image is talented, but probably has a very narrow scope of interests or no interesting point of view when it comes to making a message through art. Not that I'm trying to say he's a bad person or anything. Maybe he was even making a comment on the games industry or something and we're the ones being laughed at. I dunno, I'm pretty cynical.

As a comparison, Cubicle Gangster's short was interesting. I loved the fact that it was (albeit a simple premise) something original and done by someone that tried something and executed it well without referencing something else that already exists. The cyberpunk products still image is all about just that, products and what you could buy. To me, it's sad.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Kanine posted:

yeak ok fine, i was being cynical, ill admit it.

edit: no actually i think im reasonable in being cynical

Reasonable, but my comment was more on your drive by 'dump a tweet and leave everyone else to talk about' style of posting. I find that kind of thing on discussion boards frustrating, it's nothing to do with the content.

I have conflicting feelings on this. As a monument to consumerism it's gross, but also in arch viz there are thousands of people doing mundane bedroom scenes of west elm or ikea products as personal work. Maybe at a push they'll put it in an all concrete room in the forest but there's still a shitload of renders of a studio apartment in nondescript European city floating around.
Working on mundane / grounded realistic scenes that ape your own environment and experiences is so common, and there's a lot of value in it as personal development for people early in their careers. Not even getting into how many people copy photographs exactly, with no modification or variation. where does that land?

The vast majority of my portfolio is also visualizing products for sale - most of all visualization is. does the fact they're not mass produced and sold to billionaires instead of consumers give them special dispensation? What about people who do car renders of mundane cars like a ford focus, instead of a more stereotypical lambo? A well refined and grounded ford is definitely more valuable for the portfolio.
Essentially what i'm getting at is that it's all down to presentation and intent - none of it is artistically interesting but if it was posted with the title of 'i wanted to create a mundane scene of my bedroom to test my skills but also include a video game thats not out yet so that 10k people would look at my work instead of 100' we'd have probably considered it pretty shrewd. But with that title he wouldn't have got those clicks. I also believe that if it was presented in a studio scene as an ad it would have earned different portfolio growth level consideration, despite that being much easier than what was done.

There's a huge demand for 3d artists who are skilled but happy to work with all the creative input of a data entry job too, not everything has to be high art. Portfolios full of super creative original art would not help you get one of those jobs, as they know you'd be frustrated / leave.
If the intent really was to spend 60 hours making a scene so that when it was finished they could look at the render and go 'yes, that is what it will look like when I own it' - with no personal development motives, then it's pretty sad, but i'm not sure I can bring myself to believe that.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 25, 2019