Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Oldstench posted:

Trying to learn Substance Designer. Here's some rocks I made.

I'd climb that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

Do any companies still use NURBS? I know Dreamworks did as recently as Kung Fu Panda but I lost track of if they finally switched or not.

Some of those concept artist guys that do insane mechs and stuff use moi3d and fusion360, not sure if any big pipelines use it though

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

:toot: Quixel Mixer 2020 with mesh painting/procedurals is finally out.
"For free, for everyone, forever."

https://quixel.com/blog/2020/2/27/mixer-2020-a-new-texturing-paradigm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRtXIj6ENT4

Of course, I do worry that it won't fit -that- well into a 'replacing substance painter' workflow because it can't bake curvature/AO/Normals from meshes like you can do inside painter. Have to do it externally in Marmoset/xnormal/knald/painter etc.

Also I guess it being limited to 1 UV/UDIM seems like a thing they should fix at some point. A lot of assets won't really need it, but not having the option at all is slightly tedious.
(And honestly, I wouldn't at all be surprised if large textures + virtual textures/megatextures is going to be the dominant flow in the future, since a lot of engines seem to use it nowadays.)

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

SubNat posted:

:toot: Quixel Mixer 2020 with mesh painting/procedurals is finally out.
"For free, for everyone, forever."

https://quixel.com/blog/2020/2/27/mixer-2020-a-new-texturing-paradigm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRtXIj6ENT4

Of course, I do worry that it won't fit -that- well into a 'replacing substance painter' workflow because it can't bake curvature/AO/Normals from meshes like you can do inside painter. Have to do it externally in Marmoset/xnormal/knald/painter etc.

Also I guess it being limited to 1 UV/UDIM seems like a thing they should fix at some point. A lot of assets won't really need it, but not having the option at all is slightly tedious.
(And honestly, I wouldn't at all be surprised if large textures + virtual textures/megatextures is going to be the dominant flow in the future, since a lot of engines seem to use it nowadays.)

How does the company survive if the product is free? I haven't been following Quixel but since I'm about to run out of maintenance on Substance I might have to give it a look.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aren't they just owned by Nvidia now??

ZombieApostate posted:

Epic bought them.

yesssssss that was it.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 27, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Volume.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Epic bought them.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Listerine posted:

How does the company survive if the product is free? I haven't been following Quixel but since I'm about to run out of maintenance on Substance I might have to give it a look.

As others have said, Epic bought them. (They even refunded people who had paid for it, which is insane. I got back everything I had paid for subscription fees in 2019.)
And Epic buying them means that they went from having a subscription for Bridge and Mixer, as well as for Megascans, to only having a subscription for Megascans.

Meanwhile the entire Megascans library is free for those who use it in Unreal.

It's an interesting thing, and I wonder what their future is going to be. If they'll eventually be hauled over to expand toolsets in Unreal, so that you can do that entire workflow in-engine, or what.
I imagine the primary Megascans library will still hang around, since quite a few studios and films do use it nowadays.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Other than the aforementioned item regarding baking maps, is Quixel competitive with Substance?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Quixel being specifically Mixer, or their ecosystem with Megascans&Bridge + Mixer?

It absolutely has it's strengths when paired up with assets from for example the megascans library. It's really nice for making natural materials and the like, since you can easily just smash together some grass, dirt, rocks, puddles in no time flat.
As for the mesh painting aspect, I haven't had the time to sit down with it much yet, since it just came out.

I'd say it's strengths are mostly on being able to mix up existing materials into new ones, using displacements/heights from some, materials from others, filling up the cracks with this type of sand.
It's very good for making natural materials, though the lack of a more in-depth node system like in Designer makes it harder to just make more complex, manmade materials. (Though with a couple displacements and etc slapped in you can get pretty far.)

It gets a lot of it's strength from the access to the Megascans library, (which is great even just on it's own, with a pretty good selection of nice vegeation and 3d scanned meshes. Plants are even vertex painted for wind effects, which is a really nice bonus.)
without that, in a vacuum it's not as impressive as Designer is, since the procedural tools are still quite basic, I suppose. (Which is made up for by just being able to drop in photoscanned materials for complex, variable details and etc. )

Still, with it being free, and finally having mesh texturing/painting in it, I'm very curious how much more popular this'll get now.
(Still holding out hope that they'll add smart materials to Bridge, and maybe let people upload/share ones they make.)

Here's a vid of the basic system, before they added any of the procedural tools/masking. Just the base mashing materials together into new ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZt49h8Fu-E

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Just wrapped on a pretty cool residential project in Pennsylvania. Weird little modern single family with a guest house tucked away in the woods. More to come.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's an ad we made for a radio station, I modeled a fair bit of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fti3pX57LMA

*edit* youtube compression has not been kind to it, or someone has done something weird to the grade but you get the idea

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

EoinCannon posted:

Here's an ad we made for a radio station, I modeled a fair bit of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fti3pX57LMA

*edit* youtube compression has not been kind to it, or someone has done something weird to the grade but you get the idea

Nice, what were the grooming tools you used?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

Nice, what were the grooming tools you used?

Ornatrix for 3ds max

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've done something dumb in Blender, and now I can't seem to select objects with left-click, or toggle between vertex/edge/face selection. All I'm getting is this little notification:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Does windows think you are holding down a modifier key? Sometimes it gets confused and I can slam all the modifiers a few times and it recovers.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

taqueso posted:

Does windows think you are holding down a modifier key? Sometimes it gets confused and I can slam all the modifiers a few times and it recovers.

e: Scratch that, restarting my PC fixed it. A mystery.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Still working on the Cat Demon man, his body rig is finished.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I've been following through on a music visualizer tutorial on Youtube. I'm fairly pleased with the results, but it's a bit of a bummer that things are only really going off of volume and nothing else. I did some quick looking around it the whole scene seems like one hell of a rabbit hole to go fall down. We'll see if I stick with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSHwfojMkg8

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Warbird posted:

I've been following through on a music visualizer tutorial on Youtube. I'm fairly pleased with the results, but it's a bit of a bummer that things are only really going off of volume and nothing else. I did some quick looking around it the whole scene seems like one hell of a rabbit hole to go fall down. We'll see if I stick with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSHwfojMkg8

Do they just isolate different sounds and pipe that into the animation to vary the movement? It looks pretty nice, add a dynamic camera maybe and more amplitude to some squares.

Apr 7, 2019

Been doing some sculpting in Blender. It's not Blender's strong suit unfortunately. The viewport tends to get pretty slow if you go too high resolution. I'm still having fun with it though.

https://i.imgur.com/QIi1DP8.gifv

500 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 5, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Odddzy posted:

Do they just isolate different sounds and pipe that into the animation to vary the movement? It looks pretty nice, add a dynamic camera maybe and more amplitude to some squares.

Thanks! It’s using a generated graph based on volume and then throwing that through a displacement modifier with a scrolling cloud texture on a plane with the vertexes replaced with hexagons. The next iteration should have camera movement and a few more props, I’ll need to get back together desktop first though. Rendering that on this 2013 MBP is a subpar experience; sumbitch only has 4 gigs of memory.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

500 posted:

Been doing some sculpting in Blender. It's not Blender's strong suit unfortunately. The viewport tends to get pretty slow if you go too high resolution. I'm still having fun with it though.

https://i.imgur.com/QIi1DP8.gifv

Looks cool!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
If I export an .mview file in Marmoset on my PC, can Mac users of Marmoset viewer open that file?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Found a little time to work on an old project. Kinda think the wall / gate still needs to be bigger and the terrain is barely started. Don't even get me started on what a hassle the fur has been. Been thinking about tackling xgen but the outrageous polycount kinda prevents me from using anything but zbrush and keyshot ATM. I really want the gate to be super imposing / heavy feeling... and in the middle of opening. Not sure how to convey this. Grooves in the ground - or some kind of track the gate slides on?

Better angle (?)

Mmm. Lighting is better in the first one I think but the lighting in the second one kind of makes it look like he is raising his wing to block the sun.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 7, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I dig it, it feels kind of like sci-fi/fantasy novel cover art from 50+ years ago. Agree that the gate should be bigger, at least twice as big IMO. As for conveying that it's in the process of opening...I think it'd help if it wasn't as open in the shot, just cracked enough that you can see the castle in the distance. It'd probably also help to emphasize the "pocket" in the wall that the gate slides into. You could do something gratuitous like model a chain-and-pulley system that pulls the gate open. I guess what I'm getting at is that the more you visually emphasize that "this is a thing that can move" the more you'll imply that it is moving, I think.

Compositionally, can you get your creature in the foreground, the vehicle parked next to the gate in the midground, and the castle in the background? I feel like having both creature and vehicle in the foreground would take up too much visual space, but having nothing in the foreground makes it hard to guide the eyes. Maybe the vehicle could be partially off-frame...a shame because it's a neat vehicle, but it does take up a lot of space. You could also try putting the foreground at the bottom of a hill, the gate in the middle of the hill, and the castle (as it is now) elevated above. Putting more distance between the gate and the creature will give you more leeway to make the gate really huge, too.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I dig it, it feels kind of like sci-fi/fantasy novel cover art from 50+ years ago. Agree that the gate should be bigger, at least twice as big IMO. As for conveying that it's in the process of opening...I think it'd help if it wasn't as open in the shot, just cracked enough that you can see the castle in the distance. It'd probably also help to emphasize the "pocket" in the wall that the gate slides into. You could do something gratuitous like model a chain-and-pulley system that pulls the gate open. I guess what I'm getting at is that the more you visually emphasize that "this is a thing that can move" the more you'll imply that it is moving, I think.

Compositionally, can you get your creature in the foreground, the vehicle parked next to the gate in the midground, and the castle in the background? I feel like having both creature and vehicle in the foreground would take up too much visual space, but having nothing in the foreground makes it hard to guide the eyes. Maybe the vehicle could be partially off-frame...a shame because it's a neat vehicle, but it does take up a lot of space. You could also try putting the foreground at the bottom of a hill, the gate in the middle of the hill, and the castle (as it is now) elevated above. Putting more distance between the gate and the creature will give you more leeway to make the gate really huge, too.

Thank you for the input! Definitely afraid of the composition getting a little too busy. Will try spacing the elements out more and use some forced perspective. The interlocking gates still bug me a little.

Here is a stylized render for fun.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Listerine posted:

If I export an .mview file in Marmoset on my PC, can Mac users of Marmoset viewer open that file?

With the exception of programs/executables(and platform files, I suppose.), aren't file formats platform agnostic?
Either way, Marmoset have a standalone viewer for windows and mac that just specifies that it loads .mview, so you should be alright.

They'd specify if there was some strange platform-specific shenanigans going on in regards to file compatability.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

I really want the gate to be super imposing / heavy feeling... and in the middle of opening. Not sure how to convey this.

For the gate I'd go bigger and try a more dramatic composition with farther spaced elements, a lower camera with a slight upwards angle and a wider lens, so it actually towers above the viewers. Some atmospheric haze on top of that could help with the general sense of scale/distances, as it's quite obvious how not to-scale the elements are right now.
If it's a gate that isn't used regularly, you could try a bit of dust coming out of the crevices and rising up where it drags along the ground to indicate its movement.

Quick mock-up:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Something that occurred to me re: showing that the gate is in the act of opening: you can have a road that's clearly wider than the current opening in the gate. If it's a dirt or dusty road you can also kick up some small clouds of dust on the ground to help imply movement.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I played around with 3DS MAX about 20 years ago and enjoyed it, but I'm not a professional artist so times changed and I never got very far into 3D modeling. I recently got an Elegoo Mars 3D printer and would like to learn more about hard surface modeling to create models for 3D printing. Any recommendations on websites or youtube channels that focus on mechanical type modeling? I'm more interested in learning how to model press fit bearings than making night elves in sexy poses.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
What if it was a sexy night elf doing a pose of press fitting bearings?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

SkunkDuster posted:

I played around with 3DS MAX about 20 years ago and enjoyed it, but I'm not a professional artist so times changed and I never got very far into 3D modeling. I recently got an Elegoo Mars 3D printer and would like to learn more about hard surface modeling to create models for 3D printing. Any recommendations on websites or youtube channels that focus on mechanical type modeling? I'm more interested in learning how to model press fit bearings than making night elves in sexy poses.

There's the CAD CAM TUTORIAL channel. He focuses exclusively on Solidworks, but it's pretty much all mechanical modeling.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What if it was a sexy night elf doing a pose of press fitting bearings?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Thanos snapped his fingers and NDA concerns just turned to dust.

I'm part of the VPN work from home crew now.

hp remote graphics for the win.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Big K of Justice posted:

Thanos snapped his fingers and NDA concerns just turned to dust.

I'm part of the VPN work from home crew now.

hp remote graphics for the win.

Congrats, I hope my place will follow suit.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I can't see them getting the infrastructure in place...although I think a few places has done it by now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.3dprintingmedia.network/covid-19-3d-printed-valve-for-reanimation-device/

Neat!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
What are y'alls preferred tool for working with UVs nowadays? Looks like I'll be having some free time in the next couple weeks to try out new things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

RizomUV's popped up on my radar a couple times, though I haven't spent any time with it myself.
A buddy of mine seems pretty happy with it for his retopo-d sculpts.

It's got a rent-to-own license system like Substance (used to have?), so popping your head in for a month to check it out will only set you back 15 usd/eur.

Been meaning to check it out myself, but I don't do much uvmapping nowadays, outside of cleaning up garbage revit/sketchup UVs when the need arises.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2QvajdFHes