Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I would also probably recommend Rhino for what you're doing if you are starting from zero. It can do all of the 2D stuff that AutoCAD can, but the interface is much better, and on top of that it's an actual 3D modeling application with extremely powerful tools for smooth, hard surfaces like you get in industrial design or architecture. I like Rhino a lot. As noted, Grasshopper (plugin included with Rhino) could let you do some really cool procedural design of these neon signs (or whatever) once you get good enough.

Fusion 360 is like Autodesk's attempt to capture Solidworks' market because Inventor didn't do it. It does a lot of things pretty well and it's free. If your work has a lot of nitpicky mechanical details that you need to assemble against one another, like you're making gearboxes or engines or something, Fusion is probably better than Rhino. You could pull off what you're trying to do in either one, though.

SolidWorks is better than Fusion 360 at mechanical assemblies but it costs $5000.

AutoCAD is ancient garbage that no one should be using in 2020 except if they're working at a company with a huge backlog of plans in AutoCAD format, and even then it should only be used by the intern who's going through and converting them all to something newer and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Rhino was the first piece of 3d software I actually learnt how to use properly. Before that I had pov ray and Vue d'esprit, but I never had a handle on them. Rhino clicked so loving fast, it was so intuitive once I figured out it's language.
I can't remember how to use it but I love that the interface is pretty much the same yet doesn't look 20 years out of date. Timeless approach.

Apr 7, 2019

Here's something interesting. It converts a single photograph into a 3D model. Apparently it was trained using photos of standing humans with a long focal length, so it doesn't work with anything else (unless you were to train it with a new dataset).

https://github.com/facebookresearch/pifuhd

A guy I follow on twitter tested it out himself. It seems to work pretty good straight out of the box. I could see this being useful for arch viz stuff maybe?

https://twitter.com/Yokohara_h/status/1272396712594702342

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

500 posted:

Here's something interesting. It converts a single photograph into a 3D model. Apparently it was trained using photos of standing humans with a long focal length, so it doesn't work with anything else (unless you were to train it with a new dataset).

https://github.com/facebookresearch/pifuhd

A guy I follow on twitter tested it out himself. It seems to work pretty good straight out of the box. I could see this being useful for arch viz stuff maybe?

https://twitter.com/Yokohara_h/status/1272396712594702342

That's bonkers. One pic?!? I mean the back and sides don't look great but that's insane.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

*flips table full of modeling tutorials*

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I have a model, but I need an orthographic PDF made that shows of the sides and angles and whatnot. Overall measurements would help too. No clue how crazy insane hard or easy this is, so if you wanna make :10bux: drop me a pm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's like a 3 minute job if you literally just need the scaled 3-views and no fancy rendering or anything. What's the model?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a crystal model I had made.

I just have no idea how to do the render/views, so therefore I offer cash for services.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's a crystal model I had made.

I just have no idea how to do the render/views, so therefore I offer cash for services.

I mean it *sounds* simple enough, you mean you already have the 3d mesh and just need front/side/3quarter rendered?

No extra texturing or anything else, just a render with default lights, nothing too nice?

If that's the case I could try to do it, I use MODO so if it loads, it's barely a job, no charge for a fellow goon

(if it turns out to be more difficult than that I'll let you know and let the more experienced guys tackle it)

comfyfleecesweater at gmail

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awesome! Email sent. Let me know if you need anything else.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Modeling, rigging and starting to fool around with compositing:

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 18, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Lookin' good! I like the look and feel. I'd maybe try adding in some imperfections/creases around the corners of the mouth when it's open. It's a little too perfect/CG on the mouth-open shots.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Worked a bit more on the mouth rig and added some muppetish hair.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

So Autodesk has decided to take a huge poo poo and completely discontinue maintenance plans for perpetual license owners. As someone who bought a perpetual license pretty recently, I'm pretty hosed burned. Especially since their "offer" is that you can trade in your Maya license for a rental and keep paying the same price. Really incredible customer satisfaction, I'm sure.

I'm doing primarily videogame UE4 work -- what's a good alternative? My workflow is Maya / Zbrush / Substance / some Houdini. Should I try Modo? Or embrace Blender? I've been using Maya for a long time, so I'm dreading having to learn something new while I'm still in the process of wrapping my head around Houdini, but I figure this is something I should probably try to get a headstart on, given that Autodesk has decided to just gently caress me this hard.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've been a Maya user since college (2007) and I recommend anyone starting now learns Blender. It just makes too much sense at this point.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

mutata posted:

I've been a Maya user since college (2007) and I recommend anyone starting now learns Blender. It just makes too much sense at this point.

Is the transition easy-ish? I have Maya burned into my brain and I dread having to learn everything from scratch.
Also, I doubt anyone knows, but is the UE4 tie-in okay? Maya's is easy since that is what Epic uses, but...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Modo has a 30 day free trial if you want to give it a shot, it’s definitely production proven for games, monthly subscription or permanent license options

https://www.foundry.com/products/modo/try-modo

And apparently blender is also production proven for games now, with a lot of support from game studios and even being used by some fortnite devs, hard to beat “free”

Edit: modo can switch to maya controls via a setting, has an unreal bridge, I’m sure blender has that available too, that’s probably not an issue

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 24, 2020

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Okay, thanks guys. That's super helpful.

I'd also like to say gently caress Autodesk.

Pathos fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 24, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm about to move to Cinema 4D from Maya.

I've been using Maya since 1.0. Literally. I got to college in 97 and a year later we had signed an agreement with A|W and were working on some bitchin' Irix machines from SGI.

Anyway Unreal Engine supports direct importing of C4D files so that should be nice. I also do a lot of mograph work and expect C4D to help me there.

They are currently having a 30% off 72 hour sale on C4D annual licenses (with or without Redshift) and RedGiant Complete licenses too. Use code Summer30 at checkout

edit: also my work is going to buy it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mutata posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

And apparently blender is also production proven for games now, with a lot of support from game studios and even being used by some fortnite devs, hard to beat “free”

It's nice that this discussion has come up because it's something that we are debating at the university at which I teach.

It's a design program (graphic/industrial) and we're expanding into interactive media and VR as well. Currently the only 3D modeling programs we teach are industrial-design-specific things like SolidWorks, Rhino, and Keyshot. The interaction/VR track needs a basic polygon modeling and animation class, something that would let the students build simple models for their VR projects, and which would also support the graphic design program (kinetic typography, etc). This would be a second-year class in a 4-year degree.

I have been pushing to have the class taught with Blender as it seems to be the most accessible (and free is great for the students), while other professors have been pushing for Maya citing industry adoption, and C4D has come up a few times too because apparently a lot of 3D typography people use it. What would you recommend as industry professionals?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

BonoMan posted:

I've been using Maya since 1.0. Literally. I got to college in 97 and a year later we had signed an agreement with A|W and were working on some bitchin' Irix machines from SGI.
edit: also my work is going to buy it.

Same. I used PowerAnimator back before Maya existed. I cannot possibly describe my disgust at what Autodesk is doing. I mean, I've been pretty upset with the really intensely bullshit Maya upgrades for the past several years (especially compared to Houdini) but this new gently caress you to anyone who has a perpetual license is just a step too far. You guys should see my communications with their CS department. It's just pisses me off.

My impression was C4D was more for motion graphics type stuff. Is that correct? I really know so little about it. It's also wayyyy more expensive than Modo. But that's sorta neither here nor there.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

It's nice that this discussion has come up because it's something that we are debating at the university at which I teach.

It's a design program (graphic/industrial) and we're expanding into interactive media and VR as well. Currently the only 3D modeling programs we teach are industrial-design-specific things like SolidWorks, Rhino, and Keyshot. The interaction/VR track needs a basic polygon modeling and animation class, something that would let the students build simple models for their VR projects, and which would also support the graphic design program (kinetic typography, etc). This would be a second-year class in a 4-year degree.

I have been pushing to have the class taught with Blender as it seems to be the most accessible (and free is great for the students), while other professors have been pushing for Maya citing industry adoption, and C4D has come up a few times too because apparently a lot of 3D typography people use it. What would you recommend as industry professionals?

Blender will only get better.

I mean that's generally true of everything, but Blender has the most to gain from increased UI and UX benefits. The others benefit from vendor lock in, and aren't going to scrap that, whereas Blender has a vibe of "we welcome you all", with the latest versions asking you what key bindings from what programs you'd like to start with.

End of the day, most of your 3d skills aren't around using a 3d program but understanding how 3d programs in general need to work. I presume that someone is smart enough for this. I suppose some people are rigid brained enough to learn specific software really well rather than the concepts underneathe, but if you get the concepts, the learning curve between software is going to be short, and Blender more than any of them is the one most likely to improve in a way that you find beneficial.

And the more popular it gets, the better it gets, which makes it more popular, and more better etc..

Epic games is a large supporter of Blender too.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
It's very worth noting that Blender also has had alot of support from Ubisoft too. Frankly, it's not suprising the game industry wants to do away with these utterly ridiculous licensing fees, and I truly feel this is only the beginning for games and other industries to want to go to it. It definitely has a long way to go, but I feel most of the things important to different industries will be built as add-ons to the software, rather than whole-hog in-built feature implementations (Lest we introduce the feature creep that causes Max to load for 3 minutes on an SSD.)

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Pathos posted:

Okay, thanks guys. That's super helpful.

I'd also like to say gently caress Autodesk.

I started learning Houdini after they killed Softimage which was my gently caress you moment for Autodesk. Can you get your money refunded for that perpetual license? I'd put it towards Houdini- it's the only product I'm not upset to pay for on a subscription basis. And Blender fills in for modeling where Houdini is weak.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I'd still go with Maya, and I've been really big on the "learn Blender" train. Maya isn't going away any time soon. It's still, by far, the dominant 3D modeling package in games, film, and VFX, and that's not going to change any time soon. We're starting to see a places and companies pick up Blender, but it's still a very small percentage. It's definitely growing, and incredibly valuable to learn, but if you're teaching students a software package today, with the hopes of them landing a job four years from now, Maya is still going to be the best choice.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I did a cursory look around and it looks like there are a number of Maya focused addons available for blender along with the already mentioned option to use the same hotkeys. I’m sure there will still be a bit of weirdness transferring over but it’s a solid piece of software and you can go straight to the LTS they just put out for more serious projects.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've been using blender a little at home recently to get at some import/export scripts, after 16+ years in max exclusively, I really, really like it.
Viewport speed is incredible, the interface is clean and makes sense now, modeling tools are all logical & easy to use. It's genuinely great.
My only issue with using it in production now comes down to the fact that in our industry we purchase so many assets that are drag and drop to populate backgrounds/landscapes. having to convert everything and rebuilt materials is out of the question. And the vray version for it is poo poo.

I had a few days of struggling with the really basic stuff - material and scene organization logic mostly, but then I sacked up and spent a couple of hours reading the documentation one evening. Honestly just read it like a book one night, if you're already familiar with one 3d package you'll be surprised how much sticks.

If it wasn't for that and everything I work on was from scratch/custom every time, i'd be so on board with making the switch.

edit: I do think a school should teach industry dominant packages though. You're preparing people for a job, not helping them practice a hobby. Cinema for graphic/motion design, max or Maya depending on the focus.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 24, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

I've been using blender a little at home recently to get at some import/export scripts, after 16+ years in max exclusively, I really, really like it.
Viewport speed is incredible, the interface is clean and makes sense now, modeling tools are all logical & easy to use. It's genuinely great.
My only issue with using it in production now comes down to the fact that in our industry we purchase so many assets that are drag and drop to populate backgrounds/landscapes. having to convert everything and rebuilt materials is out of the question. And the vray version for it is poo poo.

I had a few days of struggling with the really basic stuff - material and scene organization logic mostly, but then I sacked up and spent a couple of hours reading the documentation one evening. Honestly just read it like a book one night, if you're already familiar with one 3d package you'll be surprised how much sticks.

If it wasn't for that and everything I work on was from scratch/custom every time, i'd be so on board with making the switch.

edit: I do think a school should teach industry dominant packages though. You're preparing people for a job, not helping them practice a hobby. Cinema for graphic/motion design, max or Maya depending on the focus.

The next 5 or so years is going to be interesting. I think people are going to continue to push Blender into production and the heavyweights will be forced to react. I'm guessing they'll end up ditching subscription prices and end up going the UE model of "free to use but we take a profit if you use it in production."

But now I think about that... it's much harder to trace back like you can in UE. Once you hit the comp stage all bets are off where the source files came from.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Listerine posted:

I started learning Houdini after they killed Softimage which was my gently caress you moment for Autodesk. Can you get your money refunded for that perpetual license? I'd put it towards Houdini- it's the only product I'm not upset to pay for on a subscription basis. And Blender fills in for modeling where Houdini is weak.

Of course I can’t! But Autodesk said that I should be super happy because, if I trade in my perpetual license for a monthly rental, my monthly fees will be the same as my maintenance fees for the next five years! I pointed out that this was similar to buying a house with a mortgage and the bank telling you that they’re taking the house back but if you stay with them the rental fees will stay the same as the mortgage, but I assume Autodesk will miss my point.

I don’t mean to belabor this but after this whole debacle I just want to make it known that Autodesk is loving poo poo. Blender it is, I guess! Thanks for the feedback everyone. This discussion has been great.

And, yeah, I’m doing the Houdini Indie thing for now. It’s an amazing (like, AMAZING) bit of software but I think it’s going to be a little while before I get it enough to be very fast in it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BonoMan posted:

The next 5 or so years is going to be interesting. I think people are going to continue to push Blender into production and the heavyweights will be forced to react.

Maya is dead. It's been dead the last years and everything since then has been propping it up barely functioning features. It still does some stuff very well (rigging, cloth), half decent for modelling and infinitely better than houdini when it comes to animating. (But still not as good as Softimage/XSI).
However. It is also the core generic tool for many (VFX) companies and while other software has been able to fill out specific roles, it is really hard to replace it for the generic stuff. Pipelines usually evolve around that, so it's a huge undertaking to replace it.
USD might make it easier, but even that it's going to take awhile before it becomes the real standard (if ever).

Also, Blender has been poised to take over the VFX world for at least 20 years now...at least according to it's users :). (Yeah, I know it's improved a lot).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Also, Blender has been poised to take over the VFX world for at least 20 years now...at least according to it's users :). (Yeah, I know it's improved a lot).

Ha true, but I'm not saying Blender is necessarily going to take over. More than it's actually finally becoming a usable reality that will force other companies react by offering their software for free but finding other ways to get a cut.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I have opinions about the GPL license and the ideology behind it and they are not all favorable but goddamn I'm glad Blender is GPL. It makes it completely toxic to companies that might try to take it over and close it up, which is great because everything else in the 3D realm inevitably gets snagged up by one of the few big relentlessly customer-unfriendly companies seeking to extract a maximum amount of money out of you on a continuous basis.

At one point I was going to give Substance a try, and as a bonus I would be rid of Adobe. Right then Adobe bought it and that put a considerable damper on my motivation.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Ha true, but I'm not saying Blender is necessarily going to take over. More than it's actually finally becoming a usable reality that will force other companies react by offering their software for free but finding other ways to get a cut.

I'll be honest and say that I am curious...But I'm about 2 weeks away from (attempting to) getting out of the industry. :D

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'll be honest and say that I am curious...But I'm about 2 weeks away from (attempting to) getting out of the industry. :D

be really honest - a year outside of the industry/computers and you're going to start some personal illustrations in your spare time!
blender will be there, patiently waiting for you, just a download button away...

It definitely cant take over, not without some major changes to either the industry or it, but it's a loving good 3d package.
I'm really not sure how Autodesk could switch to a UE model - there's no way to trace it like you can with an engine. The max team at Autodesk is pretty well mobilized these days, they are making good progress.
Autodesk are either going to have to keep creeping prices up, or actively work to shrink their overhead, the second is unlikely because the share price has more to do with how much you're spending instead of profit margin %. The portion of the cost of max or Maya which actually gets assigned to the development team working on it is insane. I was properly shocked when I found out how small the max team was - and I don't know exactly how many people they have behind the scenes pushing paper around but it's a lot more than the people actually improving the software.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I have a 2 month break coming up at work so I might learn Blender during that time. Autodesk has been so stingy with their product, making it even harder for people who use it non-commercially to get copies through the online schools to do demo reel work. Plus I want to practice traditional animation with the grease pencil features Blender has.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Grease Pencil is freakin' amazing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sure is:

Now I clearly don’t need them, but does anyone know of a good tutorial series on how to do grease pencil/drawing stuff just in general?

Holy hell I have no idea what I’m doing. This somehow took 8+ hours to make.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

8 hours well spent

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

echinopsis posted:

Blender will only get better.

I mean that's generally true of everything, but Blender has the most to gain from increased UI and UX benefits. The others benefit from vendor lock in, and aren't going to scrap that, whereas Blender has a vibe of "we welcome you all", with the latest versions asking you what key bindings from what programs you'd like to start with.

End of the day, most of your 3d skills aren't around using a 3d program but understanding how 3d programs in general need to work. I presume that someone is smart enough for this. I suppose some people are rigid brained enough to learn specific software really well rather than the concepts underneathe, but if you get the concepts, the learning curve between software is going to be short, and Blender more than any of them is the one most likely to improve in a way that you find beneficial.

And the more popular it gets, the better it gets, which makes it more popular, and more better etc..

Epic games is a large supporter of Blender too.

Man I’m starting to get worried about Modo, I really like how it works for modeling, but everyone seems to be saying blender will eat everything now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Warbird posted:

Sure is:

Now I clearly don’t need them, but does anyone know of a good tutorial series on how to do grease pencil/drawing stuff just in general?

Holy hell I have no idea what I’m doing. This somehow took 8+ hours to make.

Drawabox.com is great for developing drawing fundamentals and the only pre-requisite is printer paper and a felt-tipped pen. I’ve been brushing up after drawing nothing for 7 years, and it’s been really helpful. The exercises are all traditional media but the technique translates to digital just fine.

On the subject of this thread, I started learning blender and it’s embarrassing how often I gently caress things up by reflexively hitting 3dsmax hotkeys even though I haven’t used that program in years. :negative:

It seems pretty decent, although in my limited use so far, I don’t like the way the hotkeys activate free move on an object without any gizmos. I’m sure there’s a way to set it up that way, but The extent of my familiarity with the program is, like, a day and a half of following basic tutorials.