Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
I just finished my first semester in the animation program here at MATC in madison, wi. We've started learning texturing and bump maps and have been working on this troll head. The model is my teacher's.

Here are some quick renders:

I want to get into the video game field, specifically concept art. I'm really excited about next semester as we'll start working more on organic models instead of just mechanical stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
this was my final project for the first semester of animation. It's a rube goldberg contraption. I'm really happy with how it turned out, but there's plenty of stuff that could use some work.

For some reason youtube likes making video darker than it actually is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVw...player_embedded

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
not sure exactly if this belongs here, but it's for 3D so.

Some of my first textures for school. These are painted only; no photos.

have to have 15 of these done by tuesday. 5 painted, 5 using photos, and 5 with a combination of both.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

You need to darken up the holes in the grating so they actually look like holes. In general you need to put some non-directional lighting into that just to make things pop a bit more. Your wall texture needs to have medium-level details that break up the two halves, because right now they're the same thing. Add some trim to where it meets the floor. Add wear, dirt, grime, etc. Most importantly, define your materials. You have color but no materials in any of these pictures. Are they metal? Wood? Paint? There is no material definition. If you are doing spec and normal maps to go along with this, those will help some, if you aren't, then you should paint some lighting into the textures to make the shapes pop and to define the materials.

Overall to be honest they're boring as hell. Go grab some textures from a game or whatever and look at them, or go to cgtextures.com and look at any of their photos. Look at the photo and pick out all the details - you need to paint all of those. Cracks, dents, scratches, scrapes, bricks, pores, etc. You have none of it right now.

check out this tutorial:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=373024

Notice how he adds wear, decals, etc to make the texture more interesting and come alive. You need to do that, and instead of using photos, you need to paint some base materials to work with for your painted ones.

Just out of curiosity, where do you go to school?

Thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated.

I go to school at MATC in Madison, WI majoring in animation. I want to be a concept artist actually, but the program is geared towards that as well. I really enjoy modeling and animating, but I prefer to draw. It's nice to be getting an understanding of all the aspects of it though, they compliment each other.

One of my assignments. done in roughly 11 hours. based off a photo.

le capitan fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 29, 2009

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
finished an animation assignment involving balance.

http://vimeo.com/3302026

it plays in super speed when you load it first so make sure you watch it a second time. If that makes sense.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

There's a lot of floating and aimless acting there.

The jumping on one foot action doesnt communicate anything, and the weight ends up wrong. When you lift up one foot, you shift your weight over to the other leg. If he's warming/psyching himself up to jump, he shouldnt look bored and ready to fall asleep. All his actions seem to be slowing down the further we go, when it should be the opposite, building up to this explosion of action.

You probably want him to look at his target rather than his toes when he's getting ready to jump. I do like the slip and tumble at the end, it shows a better sense of balance than the pre-jump stuff.

There's plenty of footage for reference out there to draw out real actions from, rather than putting in flabby filler into your animation.

ref:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ervl8_gDeDc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-DOB39FGC0

Thanks for the critique. I should of thought of looking up parkour videos.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
modeling assignment for class. Had to model another classmate's concept of a metal fish that picks up underwater mail. Still working on ripping the UV's. Took about 8 hours give or take. I'm pretty happy with it. Some of the smoothing is kinda funky.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

You have an incredible number of smoothing errors. Those come from the way you built your subd mesh and you really need to re-work that stuff. Its only going to look worse when you have a nice shader on it and the specular, reflection, etc, makes it look like a bent turd.

edit: if you post your wireframe (use isoline display so its actually readable) we may be able to help. The general rules are avoid n-gons and keep things in quads.

thanks for the crit. Heres the wireframe:

Click here for the full 1126x738 image.

have to texture it due tuesday. so far still working on the diffuse:

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

From that wire, it looks like you're modeling the whole fish as one piece. It seems like such a thing would be composed of separate overlapping plates so it could move. It would be much better to model it like that.

Do you mean like modelling the fish for animation? I wasn't planning on having it move, but for design I agree with your idea. Thank you for the critique.

SynthOrange posted:

Good god, what're they teaching you in that class?

This semester we started learning biped movement and animating a rig. Also doing more texturing and just started uv ripping. This is my first more organic model. We mostly did inorganic models last semester. Also you ripping on me or my classes doesn't really help anyone. Thanks.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

Some of my first models were worse than that
I never went to school though :(

It looks like maybe you added too many polys to early.

Refer to this lovely diagram.
If I was going to model this, I would lay out the polys something like this to begin with. When smoothed it would obviously go all squishy so that's when you add edge loops and support edges to get nice creases and hard edges.
Different colours indicate separate geometry elements.

Thanks for the diagram. Yeah, I should've broken it down into more pieces.

Sigma-X posted:

Your shapes are awfully squishy. You'd have more control over the subd cage by breaking it into multiple pieces, in addition this would let you animate it.

your metal is just grey, you need to darken the diffuse significantly and add a spec map to it. Also consider adding some tarnish, possibly scratches, and oil or wear in between the plates.

And le capitan, Synth is ripping on it because its a really crap model. Everyone makes really crap models when they're learning - I'm assuming this is your first attempt at a sub-d model?

They really ought to have you working on human faces for organic practice rather than freeform stuff like this.

Darkened the metal like you said and added a spec. I'm gonna add more scratches and grime on the edges.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
Added the grime and worked on the spec some more. The eye is supposed to be glass, but it looks like poo poo as does the model. I'm really liking the way the texture is looking. I tried using a reflection map to get more of a glass look to the eye but for some reason it wasn't reading my map right and was adding reflection to everything which looked pretty bad so I scratched that.

le capitan fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 4, 2009

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Useless posted:

Still more playing with lights and modeling. I really should be doing something else on a Friday night.

That's better, but I'd go bluer with the light. Also try messing with the intensity and the far atinuation or maybe adding multiple lights outside if you haven't already.

also also the secondary lighting on that boiler thing on the left should be a little softer i think.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

A5H posted:

Fuckkkkk, I have a project due thursday and all the other groups have mad awesome animations. What program can I use to take the model videos I have and make it cool? Like add music and some effects transitions etc?
Something that looks amazing and is easy to use preferably.

after effects?

Thanks for posting the link to Dominance War. I think i'll take a stab at the 2D challenge.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

zeldadude posted:

Thought I'd post this here. Just a beginners model, still working on it obviously, a ton is unfinished.

Click here for the full 1280x600 image.

Don't know if you're looking for a critique or not, but here goes:
textures on the road and sidewalk look stretched/repeating.
Should have some indication of where the fencing comes out of the sidewalk like dirt or something.
A light coming from the door would add a nice ambience, but i'm guessing you haven't messed with lights yet.

Another assignment from class. Doing a high poly model then making it into a low poly. Not too happy with this; bit of a rush job, but I learned from it.

le capitan fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 2, 2009

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
I have a question :D

I'm currently working on my boot's uv maps. I've ripped all the uv's and want to get them all onto one texture map. I was wondering how to line up all the uvs so nothing overlaps. Currently i just rendered out each map individually and laid them out how I wanted in photoshop and am going back into each uv map and adjusting it individually. I hope that makes sense.

edit: nevermind, I didn't realize you could attach geometry without losing your uv maps and then i can set up material id's and move them about as i wish. Wow, life just got a little bit easier.

le capitan fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 11, 2009

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
Wow some really inspiring stuff in this thread.

cubicle gangster: Wow, the railroad piece is looking quite nice. Someone mentioned before wondering what it would look like night lit and I'm slightly curious as well.

Another assignment. Had to low poly model another student's high poly boot. This is my second attempt at high to low poly modelling and normal mapping. Also been really loving the AO map. I swear it halved my time on the texture.

750 tris

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

'The Bloody Piston' sounds like a terrifing new sexual position.

Hey baby ;) how you doin'

oh and here's the wireframe:

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Cad_Monkey2 posted:

Thanks Sigma 6, I've been messing with the exposure settings a touch before you posted and got to this point...

I tried using GI with FG but it completely washed out the scene, even lowering the GI almost to nil it was still washed out.

That's starting to look pretty nice. I might suggest a light behind the camera as if there was a doorway or something.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

Elentor, that's a cool chest. Have you used any photographic textures on it yet?
Some photographs of woodgrain would look really cool in the diffuse map.

Here's a WIP of the project I'm working on. I posted a WIP of the girl's head earlier in the thread. I've started texturing it but obviously nothing else. Just about everything is still being sculpted all at the same time so it's a bit here and there. It'll be brought back into MAX fro rendering so some of the straps and hard pieces will be less wobbly. There's a fair few buttond and bits that haven't been brought in yet.

Looks pretty good. I see a lot of anatomy issues though. Right now she looks very stick figurish. I'd bust out the anatomy book and push the leg anatomy. Women tend to have more developed legs than that. Also it appears that her shoulders are wider than her hips and it should be either equal or hips being the widest on a female.

Put more wrinkles and distress on the backpack as well as the roll up blanket. There should be creases where the straps are pulling it tight.

I dig what wrinkles you have so far in the pants and boots. Are you sculpting in zbrush or mudbox?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

tuna posted:

Let me know when you start recognising a pattern in this CGTalk challenge.

But everybody likes motorcycle chase scenes.

The challenge is 3d only right? So i'm guessing these are just composition roughs?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Hinchu posted:

I had to re-render this at 10,000 pixels wide so that it is at resolution. Obviously it isn't that big now, but it definitely does make my computer crawl at that size. I painted all of those fish. A few are obvious duplicates though so I might go through and fix those. I've also worked more on the column textures. I think it will mainly be photoshop work from here on out as the 3d end is too time consuming.

I played around with the node editor for an entire morning and didn't really get any results I liked. I kind of feel like I hate the way Lightwave's works compared to the workflow of Shake. It's just too hard to organize nodes.

Looks pretty good. Like the lighting. Think you need some bubbles around the diver and the texture on the pipes or whatever is too generic imho.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
I think if you throw in some other types of seaweed in there it would look better. Like some longer flowy stuff to give it more of an organic feel. If it's a still shot i'd just go in with photoshop and do some photo manipulation of seaweed as well as just painting it by hand. There's quite a few free stock photo sites out there such as morguefile.com. Also I believe if you alter something enough to call it your own then copyright poo poo is void.... Don't quote me on that.

If time is a factor then that might be kind of difficult depending on how comfortable you are with photoshop and painting.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
Hinchu: That's a pretty cool project and I bet it's pretty difficult at times, but I'm sure it's pretty fun too.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

Does anyone want me to post notes from CGcon?

YES, please.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
Thank you for posting your notes, Sigma 6

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

Should I still post the next day's notes?

please! Awesome so far. Thanks so much for doing this too.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

edit: right, i've been using cryengine 2 for a bit this morning (i'm converting the station scene I made a while ago into it) and i've finally figured out how to get objects in it...

But whenever I rotate them, the shading changes. Those 180 degree rotated pieces are in full shade, but if I keep going they eventually look right. The normals are the same - it's invisible from the other side.

Tried breaking the shader down to just the diffuse - no dice. clicked every check box I can possibly think of (2 sided, flat texture etc)and nothing either. Anyone seen this/got any ideas?

This is what it looks like in the viewport:

I have no idea if this is right or not, but I've been taking a class on UnrealEd3 and whenever we move geometry in that engine we have to rebuild the level/lighting. If you don't, in the viewport it looks off and the engine doesn't know whats going on basically. It might be the same in the cryengine, but then again I'm not sure. Good luck!

My friend and I watched a short video on the cryengine 3. Looks pretty drat sexy. Ubisoft's so cool <3

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
EoinCannon: Beautiful tortoise; very inspiring.

Simple pillar I made to practice going from concept to final low-poly. Going to rework the spec and bump a little. It's too rough everywhere and I want more of a worn down look around the corners and the insets. Pretty happy with it though. Texturing is fun and it's also nice to have something near finish.

112 tri's

Click here for the full 805x625 image.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
I think he's mocking you because people have been giving you advice, but you seem to be ignoring it.

"Use more lights/use a backlight" and "needs more polygons"

ceebee: Thanks, I'm only really familiar with the unreal engine, but this is more for portfolio I guess. I'm working on a series of them toppled over like dominoes. I see what you mean about the sillouette; I have a few of the edges with damage, but could definitely use more.

EoinCannon: Thanks, yeah the markings are way too regular.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

GrazoTheClown posted:

I don't know what a backlight is or how to create more polygons.

John Blaster posted a link to a 3 light system tutorial (http://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html). The "rim light" in that tutorial is a backlight. It's just a light that lights the object from behind.

As for more polygons, it really depends on how you made the glass. I think the best way to go about making that glass would be to create a line and use the lathe modifier. You can make it smoother/increase the polygons in the lathe modifiers properties.

If you don't know what any of that means I would suggest going into the help section of whatever program you're using. They usually have beginner tutorials; probably a good place to start. Otherwise you could just google beginner tutorials for which program you're using.

good luck

le capitan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 1, 2010

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
What would be the best way of posting video? I have a few character animations I wanted to show, but was unsure of how to do so.

Edit: Thanks,

Some character animations I've been working on. Still need work, but getting close.

http://www.vimeo.com/9369775

http://www.vimeo.com/9369805

le capitan fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 11, 2010

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

A while back I mentioned a cel shaded animation called Logorama, you can now watch it online and it's in the running for Best Animated Short at the Schloshcars

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc3h1f_logorama_shortfilms

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Very imaginative and a nice dark edge to it.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Cinema 4D scrotum :nws:

Haha, thanks for this. I pray I never have to model some testi's.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

BigKOfJustice posted:

I had to rig them

IK/FK controllers, a master control for both, and individual ball control? I just can't imagine need that much control over scrotum, but I guess it depends on the project. Still makes me smile. The industry never ceases to amaze me.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
Haven't done any modeling in a while so I decided to start a new one today. Still need to add details and finish the top of the Mauser. It's supposed to be a lazer sight on the side, but i'm not sure if the design really conveys that.

le capitan fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 21, 2010

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
My portfolio has a definite lack of models so I decided to model a butterfly knife today. Went a lot faster than I thought it would.

le capitan fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 10, 2010

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
Here's a little bug-like robot I made. Did all the modeling, rigging, and animation. There's an odd flash of light at :05 that's not in the original video. I wonder if vimeo dislikes my file type or something. I'll try re-uploading.

http://vimeo.com/11007897

keyframe: Really love the anim as well! Great poses and timing.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

Hackuma posted:

Just finished these animations for a game I am working on. I didn't make the models.
http://vimeo.com/11130611

Cool stuff. I like the bear and the baby bear the most.

Just a couple thoughts:

-more offset
I think you could push the offsets on the bear a little more to make him feel bigger.

-animate your fingers
I noticed a few fist clenches and that's about it. Most of the animations are really short so you probably can't fit much in there, but the bear's idle and other longer animations you could have some more finger/hand movement.

Also some of the poses, such as the guy's excited jump, could be exaggerated more. Some of the animations were a bit hard to understand what action you were trying to convey.

Just my .002 cents

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
Just started getting into Zbrush. It's pretty awesome. Took a little while to get used to the UI, but I got the basics down.

Should probably mock up a base mesh in 3dsmax to start with instead of a polysphere.

le capitan fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
keyframe: That's pretty slick; I agree that the composition/color are great. I kinda want to see what they'd look like slightly transparent or perhaps some slime trails? This may not be what you're going for, but just some thoughts.

tuna: I'm excited to see some animation on that guy. Really digging his suit, especially how his forearms are exposed and the large circular neck-piece.