Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

concerned mom posted:

There's someone about his face that's getting to me. I think its a little flat. Looking nice though.

I think the corners of the eyes are too far back at the outside. If you look at a person's face, the inside and outside corners of the eye are nearly on the same XY plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

IHeartBoobs posted:

Let me try to do a screen capture.

edit: I'll get this uploaded later tonight

edit 2: here you go: http://www.mayzis.com/furtutoriallq.mov
That was really informative and good, thanks a lot!

I asked a while ago and didn't get any responses, but how would I go about animating snowfall and rainfall in Maya? Also, I';ve been using a directional light a lot lately to approximate sunlight, using ray tracing and the Light Angle attribute at 5-10 degrees. However I don't see many references to this particular use and I'm wondering if it's because I'm stupid and there are better ways to do sunlight, or if it's just because of the added render time.

Chenghiz fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 5, 2008

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

The Merkinman posted:

Well I'm a little confused.
First thing I figured I'd tackle was the brick material.
I did as suggested an instead of bump, used displacement. But the displacement has an odd effect (exaggerated here to illustrate effect)

Figuring my displacement map was misaligned or scaled, I swapped the Diffuse and Displace maps, but keeping the exaggerated amount of displace and get this:

Which doesn't have waves, in the displace or diffuse and looks more like what I want but monochromatic.

Looks like you just need less contrast between brick and mortar in your displacement map, or just a smaller displacement value. I'm not sure what wave effect you're talking about though, the first image just looks like an exaggerated displacement map to me.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I'm coming off the end of a degree in Computer Graphic Technology with a focus in animation, but while I started school thinking I'd want to be doing game art, I'm pretty sure by now that the game industry is not someplace I want to work. Reading this thread I've become interested in architectural visualisation, so I was wondering what you archvis guys have to say about your experiences in that field. Specifically, I'm wondering:

- What are the hours like? 40-ish hours a week? Are there crazy crunch times?
- Where am I most likely to find a job in the field (location wise)?
- What should my portfolio have in it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

cubicle gangster posted:

I do 37.5 hours - crunch is once or twice a year, lasts a couple of weeks.
Location wise pretty much anywhere - arch viz is easy to get by with a 2-5 man studio, so theres less of a need for a central area. You'll need to be in a city, but you've got more choice than guys in vfx do.
Pictures of buildings mostly.

Clients can be proper spazzes at times but the good far outweighs the bad.

Thanks for the reply. For portfolio work, do you recommend I try modelling existing stuff from reference or creating my own, or perhaps a mix? Also, I'm really familiar with Maya and mental ray, but not so much with max and vRay. Do you know of some good tutorial resources that would get me started on the max/vray specific side of things?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Fool Circle posted:

What would be the best way to quickly model some ribbed cabling like the black part of this in Maya? I'm pretty new to the software, having only started using it on this college course, so sorry if this is really really easy.

I could probably easily just do it as a texture but I'd rather do it in the geometry itself. Am I gonna have to add about a million divisions and extrude in and out?

I have looked around the net for tutorials, but I'm not exactly sure what to have looked for, and "ribbed cable tutorial" isn't helping much.

Why don't you want to do it with a texture? A displacement map would do that pretty easily, but with geometry you're looking at a lot of niggly extrusion or a lot of tiny pieces of geometry.

If you don't want to do a material and it doesn't need to be one mesh, I'd suggest modeling a small section of the ribbing and just duplicating/instancing it.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Nice stuff Brian Encino Man. I especially like the impala's texture and horns. I can't imagine keeping that under 5,000 polys.

I've got a quick question for the thread, if you guys don't mind. I'm working on this scene, but I'm having some weird issues with the ray tracing. You can see in the top right of the image, one of the reflections of another glass is opaque, not transparent. It's really bizarre and I'm assuming it's got something to do with ray depth or the number of reflections a ray can make but I'll be damned if I can figure out what to change

Here's my material settings;

Using the newest version of Blender x64 with internal renderer.

Pretty sure you're right. I'd try increasing both ray depths to 10 or 12 and seeing if that changes anything.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

GrazoTheClown posted:

That look better?

Looks like you need a brighter light.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Speaking of that, where do archviz people hang out?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

sigma 6 posted:

Often I have wondered, why 3d people are just automatically excluded from the fine art world. I am sure there are a few fine artists working in 3d, but how many 3d artists working on "fine art"?

I am very interested in bridging the two worlds.

It's not that 3d is excluded from "fine art", it's that very few fine artists are competent in 3d modeling/rendering/animation. This is changing, but slowly.

Just like oil paint and cameras, 3d modeling is just a medium, and we've had enough new mediums over the last century to not get too hung up on the fact it's done with a mouse on a computer, I think.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Compare him to the vitruvian man or something, should give you a good idea of normal-looking proportions. His waist is too low but I can't really tell about the rest of the body because of the coat.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
It worked fine for me, you just have to use http instead of https.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Your render camera needs a shorter focal length. Right now it looks almost orthogonal and there's not really any sense of perspective, which makes it seem fake. Also, are you using mentalRay or something else? Looks almost like the software renderer. I think using mentalray and finalgather will help with the depth, and you can use a translucent material for the curtains.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

As completely vain and pointless as it is, are there any pretty laptops that are decent for modelling? I'd have another mbp but I want to use alias vray and maxwell so need windows. It's be nice to have something aesthetically beautiful.

Get a MBP and install Windows on it, or dual-boot it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

mutata posted:

At least we can all agree that Zbrush has the biggest beginner-shock UI out of all the 3d packages.

I thought Mudbox was really intuitive when I tried it in beta, but that's also comparing to zbrush 1.5 or so, so things may have changed.