Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Thats way I do it though (as said in my post), vray handles bumps fine.

Edit: Been creating some generic assents in a quiet period... and got thoroughly carried away. About 8 hours into it so far.

Very nice man, why is your lighting always perfect? :argh:

Anyway, I think i'm finally making some headway with (onyx)trees and their materials:

Maybe I should stop doing the redshift thing... also because I suck at it, and its getting a tad too common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

:words: comptex :words:

Comptex you say? No, can't say that I remember you talking about that. It would be great if you could put down some words, because I'm having a hard time getting a solid method of lighting my scenes. I often switch between "normal" lighting and vraysun/sky/cam in a scene because from one angle one method works great, but from another angle it looks crapola.

Also, I'll be damned if I ever understand even one shred of Linear workflow. :(

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Heintje posted:

RE linear workflow, I don't follow it to the card, but I use this lighting setup with vray sun etc:

Make a vray sun + env map
Make a default vray physical camera (adjust the exposure stuff later, it should work as is).
Set your rendering -> colour mapping to reinhard (sp?), set the gamma to ~2.2, bring it down if you want a bit more computery/contrasty feel.

Uhhhm and that's about it, just turn on irradiance for GI, set your sampling and off you go, easy. That's a basic vray sun setup. Oh and you'll need to tone down the brightness of all your maps, in the output settings change the RGB level to .225 (in theory, play around with it though).

Cubicle: what's this redshift thing I keep hearing people mention? Googling it gives me a bunch of physics about the doppler effect and SPACE.

edit: Have some drilling fluids:

gently caress this was a oval office to animate. 3ds max makes me want to shoot myself sometimes when it fucks up very conceptually simple things. bleh.

Yeah, that's what I do usually, but somehow it doesn't cut it for me (or my boss)..

Redshift is when you simulate chromatic aberration by moving the red channel of your image a couple of pixels any which way. I'm sure there's loads of ways to do it, but that's the simplest. Alternatively you can use the photoshop lens correction filter, then it applies it only around the edges of your image, which will give you a more realistic rather than a stylish feel.

edit uno: why Reinhard? What's so different about it?
edit dos: i'm not sure i'm getting this 0.255 thing either, because when i set the output level of a bitmap to 0.255, it just fades to the diffuse color chosen.. or should that be black?

International Log fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 3, 2008

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Heintje posted:

Ah the redshift thing sounds really easy, will have a play with it.

With the RGB level make sure you are changing the RGB level value, not the Output Amount (that just fades it off and the underlying diffuse value will show through).

The basic idea is- because you have a gamma of 2.2 and a vray sun (it's equivalent multiplier is about 360 vs just 1.0 for a standard omni), everything will become too bright, so you need to adjust the diffuse brightness of everything.

As far as I can tell, the reason this is good is that since the light is so strong, the GI bounces appear more realistic. Couple this with the gamma and colour mapping and it looks good/realistic.

There's a tutorial somewhere on the net that goes through all this in more detail so you can understand the actual theory of it, but I forget what it's called or where it is. Have a look around, it's worth it.

Hm, okay, that's at least making some sense to me. Also I viewed Lele's vraysun/sky tutorials, and know a lot more now. :D Problem is, all my scenes at work and at home are too complex to make those adjustments without it taking me days. :(

Well, anyway, time to break up the wall of text with some imagery:

It's a villa that isn't built yet, first picture is the swimming pool in the basement. Still having some problems making the glass sheets show that encase the exercise area, somehow the reflections refuse to show (or they don't have anything to reflect).

edit for info: trees are onyxtree, rendered with vraysun/sky/cam, grass done as displacement. (except in the middle image)

International Log fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 4, 2008

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yup, you guys are right. It's rendering a new version now. :buddy:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DefMech posted:

Saw this linked somewhere, it's loving incredible: http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/07/09/otoy-developing-server-side-3d-rendering-technology/

I'm sorry, I can't think of anything to say since my head just exploded. :aaaaa:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey cubicle, that's 2 weekends ;)

I made this:

Click for big. Done in a couple hours, vray with vraysky/sun/cam, original res 4000 something by 1900 something. I already got some complaints that the CA is too hard. Maybe they are right.

International Log fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 15, 2008

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

The only thing that stands out to me is the door on the immediate right, probably because of the handle. Other than that, it's amazing :)

Thanks, yeah that's because of the perspective. It's a small space so my boss wanted me to use a high FOV which borks with the proportions... :(

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey we can't let this thread fall back to the 2nd page!

Desperate leaf-material-thread-saving image:

Onyxtree .. tree. Yes there is no material on the branches yet. Trying to get that tree look, but failing somewhat. Don't know how to get the leaves to be slightly different colors. :geno:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DefMech posted:

How do you like Onyx? I think we just bought it today. I've used SpeedTree, Xfrog and others, but have yet to even touch Onyxtree. I've noticed that lots of folks are using it these days.

It's great, really. The models it produces are realistic, the only thing YOU have to do is make a proper material (and sometimes boost the leaf count). Which is the biggest problem... for me. Also the 3dsmax connection plugin is a bit iffy, not all the options that you have in the standalone version are present. Also getting proper specular highlights seems to be in the realm of the impossible.

I guess vray doesn't want me to make realistic trees. :cry:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here's an animation i made for work, the GI isn't baked, so hence the flickering. Also the window still materials are crap, but good ones are being made now. Interior is yet to be designed..
http://www.vimeo.com/1557118

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Some results from this week!

It's a still from an animation - going to be putting cars and people in it next week, then should hopefully be mostly done. :)

Anyone got any comments before I call it completley finished? I know the tv is way too bright, going to sort that in the morning.

Awesome as always. :swoon:

I made this recently (clickable):

The DoF is post, plus some shopping with the colors and whatnot. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this. :D

International Log fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 18, 2008

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not to derail or steal thunder, but our powers are needed here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969549

Your favourite smileys in 3d!

I did :haw: and :hist101: :

Go, my brethren, go!

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

In the thread you say you use Vray, how long did this take to render? I have a few more Vray questions but you don't have pms...

I'd say about an hour each, maybe less. No I don't have PM's... maybe I should buy plat. :)

Also, you could just ask here, plenty of people in this thread who know a lot of stuff. Naturally I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Well I'm new at this, so I'm trying to break down your model into steps. I'm more of a Maya user rather than Max but I assume you took a sphere polygon and then made booleans on the face for the expressions (teeth being entire new shapes)? Not sure how you approached the helmet except that it's probably a separate polygon from the head.

I assume the heads were standard matte material, but when you textured the metallic objects did you use a custom texture?

I'm not even sure what to ask specifically about Vray (just know that it's thrown around a lot) as I've only used the standard Maya renderer, and nothing near "photorealism" so if you explain that process to a retard, much appreciated.

No, I didn't use booleans. Polymodeling all the way, baby. :c00l: The teeth are seperate objects, as well as the helm and all the small bits. I'm not sure what you mean with the materials, though.. The helmet material isn't textured, it's just a material that has a soft reflection, as well as the smiley material.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Haha, man. It's funny that EVERYONE I know is reacting the same way to this. I also think the same thing, and I wonder what they are going to buy next. C4D? Vue? Lightwave?

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43650

Click here for the full 932x1100 image.

This is how it's done, gentlemen. (sorry, forumlink is for registered vray users only)

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DefMech posted:

So just how unlikely is it that with Maya and now XSI under Autodesk's wing, we'll see an overhaul of Max's material editor?

I didn't say this, but Autodesk is doing a major UI (and core) overhaul for max 2011 (so that's after 2010, yes).

If you tell anyone, i will come to your house and stab you! :ese:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stocking posted:

Anybody know how i can get max to give me like a series of images of the outlines of the cross section of a model from bottom to top about 1cm apart?

You can use the Section shape for that, it creates a shape outlining the mesh. like this:

Click here for the full 1600x1016 image.

I used it to make some CAD reference for a bridge console of a ship interior i had to viz, so that they can manufacture it. It was fun :haw:

Might as well post something i made recently:

Click here for the full 1600x729 image.

Click here for the full 1536x698 image.

Click here for the full 1536x698 image.

The problem is, i modeled this house off a photo of a small real model (maquette?), which has no environment, and since i'm poo poo at designing, the environment is kinda... lovely.

International Log fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 6, 2009

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Goodday gents,

A chair i made at work and studio-ed at home:

ninja edit: the wheel isn't in the floor, it has a flat tire. :smug:

International Log fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 27, 2009

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TouchToneDialing posted:

This is great! Any chance I could get you to take a sceenshot of the scene setup? Id love to see where the lights are and how you have the back drop.

Thanks!

This is a more finished version, but the lighting is practically the same:

Click here for the full 1120x1200 image.

Setup:

Click here for the full 1502x854 image.

The purple squares do nothing, just placeholders of windows i might put in.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EoinCannon posted:

A guy I know is writing a short film, I'm doing a bit of concepting and modeling for him. I modeled this much tonight from a concept sketch by a crazy talented illustrator he found. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the concept so I won't :( He drew a cool costume for him as well so I'll do that too.

Base Mesh in MAX, sculpted in ZBrush

poo poo man, you got that whole anatomy thing wrapped around your finger. :worship:

Here's another artsyfartsy render of my chair:

Click here for the full 1120x1200 image.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aargh posted:

That's a really nice fabric texture you have there.

Thanks. It is but a mere bumpmap.

sigma 6 posted:

The Orphanage in SF is going under apparently. Had of lot classmates who went through there. I heard there were 6 studios in LA which recently went under too.

Scary stuff.

International Log: Are those low intensity area lights in your screengrab, or portal lights?

But.. but.. what about the children man!

I'm looking for another job now too, but thats because my current one sucks.. I'm the only one there that does what i do, so i can't grow career wise. Also the pay/boss/colleagues stink (some do literally!). But on the other hand, i do get some job security out of it, even though its apparent they couldn't manage finances in the past.

They are low intensity arealights. If you render it without a vrayphyscam you get a very dark scene, but I used the camera options to brighten it up.

EoinCannon posted:

Love the lighting you bring to the studio renders Log. So clean

Thanks! :D

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
'Nother chair:

Click here for the full 1872x1190 image.

Artek Alvar Aalto 43 Chaise Lounge

Chaise lounge chair from 1936-1937, first shown in the Finnish Pavilion designed by Aalto for the Paris World's Fair. Laminated birch cantilever arms/sled base.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! :haw:

It's quite simple actually, i just made some HDR's of a mini studio setup i have standing at home, and put those in my vraylights.

Eoin: Yeah, i'm still trying to get the grain away. Right now the black leather and wood reflect subdivs are set to 32, DMC sampler is set to 2/5. Trying to figure out where its coming from.

edit: I've set the material subdivs to 64(!), which seems to work:

Click here for the full 1886x1200 image.

roughly 40 minutes to render on a q6600.

International Log fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 9, 2009

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Its just a heavily tiled noise map in the bump slot. Glossy reflections set to .7-ish. And a black diffuse color, that's all of the settings. :)

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Heintje posted:

Oh, well that would work. I guess you just have to be careful of noise creeping into the render there.

Yeah, if your reflection subdivs are high enough, you can set the blur of the noise itself to 0, and let vray handle the AA.

Some closeups:

Click here for the full 943x600 image.

Click here for the full 943x600 image.

Didn't have the subdivs high enough in the second, fixed that now, but too lazy to render.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Slap me in the face if i'm going out of line here, but wouldn't it be cool to have a 3d "gang" logo like all the other subforums have?

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

spottedfeces posted:

Texture Update:

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Better, but:

The field of view is huge, make it smaller (like 55-65 degrees), now you have 2 big empty areas on the left and right side of your image. Make the doorstills a lot thinner too, unless you're going for somekind of style.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

Radically resized to not blow the forums, this is my latest model:

High-Res Version link (2096*3072): http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img16/5565/finalsuperhigh.jpg

Very nice, how long did that take you? Did you have sketches or did you design it yourself?

Also: Caldari
You doing stuff for EVE?

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

If you guys can rate or comment I'll appreciate, thanks!

Gave you 4 stars since it still needs materials. :colbert:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Heintje posted:

All of max just needs to be re-written, I could bitch for hours about how the software hasn't really gotten any better over the last 10 years in so so many ways, but I'll save that for when I'm next drunk with cg people.

:eng101: They fixed the "select every other object behind the one you want" bug!

International Log fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 7, 2009

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey, guys, you know how they always have those photoshop threads in which they add something to an existing image a goon made? I'm just thinking the logistics in terms of 3d here, like file formats and stuff.

ideas:

Goonmansion?
Goonbase?
Goontown?

Well anyway, something to think about.

edit: car

Click here for the full 1800x992 image.

edit2: I know the model is crap, by the way. I'm just doing some lighting stuff. Might repair the model one day.

International Log fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 16, 2009

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Heintje posted:

Houdini has a free learning addition available for download on their website, and it's node based like C4D. I won't lie though, it's poly editing and character animation tools aren't well developed as yet though. For making other cool stuff like things blowing up, particle effects and crazy procedural stuff it's The poo poo.

I'm working on demo material for the new version so when v10 is released in around a month I'll pimp it here some more.

So whats the learning curve on houdini? Always wanted to make awesome particle things, but when it comes to learning, i'm dumb.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Heintje posted:

<wordy words>

*head explodes*

No but really, that looks challenging indeed. I think i'd lose patience very quickly and would start throwing dinnerplates against the wall, or something like that. maybe I'm a bit more visual type person, I dunno. But i guess trying couldn't hurt...

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

zeldadude posted:

Thought I'd post this here. Just a beginners model, still working on it obviously, a ton is unfinished.

Click here for the full 1280x600 image.

Looks okay, could use a little :sun:. Windows need stills. Also, materials?

Don't stop working on it though.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Max 2010 is out! Didn't i say it was gonna get a UI overhaul? huh? huh?

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah but it's not an overhaul, it's a slaughter.

In my defense, i haven't tried it yet. :colbert:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
less talking, more images. :siren:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Seawater is hard to make. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well i was just..

I wanted...

:smith: