Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

First time posting in the thread! Glad to see some arch viz people around.

In architecture school we usually have to churn out 4-6 renders with some post production, scale figures, etc in about 72 hours in addition to maybe some diagrams, sections, floorplans, a model, eating and maybe a quick nap. Now that I have a bit more time I wanted to see what it was like to give the renders a little bit more love.

In the winter lobby scene I modeled the light fixtures and everything that isn't the chair. Mountain and snow added in post. The rug is a texture with a little bit of a displacement map, and I painted on some hairs using the grass brush in photoshop to make those edges a little fuzzy.

In the jungle scene I modeled the structure on the right and the rocks. I used Forest Pack for the all the vegetation, some grass close to the structure, and for adding some additional little rocks to make the ground less flat looking.

Here are a few school renders:

Right now I model almost everything in Rhino and export. I need to watch some tutorials on max modeling techniques. If anyone has any good tutorials pass them along. I've seen the Grant Warwick modeling video referenced a couple places, seems like a good starting point.

I luckily got a chance to see the film. The camera barrel-roll style transitions from private jet to luxury car were pretty amazing. Also, I'm a recent grad in NYC so if you guys are looking for people....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

uuhhh i dont remember this happening last time our NY studios internet went down...

A paid license can't go two hours without phoning home but anyone with a .edu address can indefinitely download and use student versions that have no restrictions? ...hmmm....

I've been lurking the thread for the last few months, been incredibly busy with moving, new job (:dance:), and refreshing my scripting/coding knowledge. Anyone else here do maxscripting/photoshop scripting?
I haven't contributed anything in ages so here is a quick personal project. Was on an assignment that was nothing but night stills so I wanted to change it up with some sun:

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Sweet citrus juicer man.

Thanks, ha, juicer is a step up from "nice egg".

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

For those who use 3d asset managers which one do you use? And if you don't use one, why not?

We have looked a few from at Autodesk's Asset Library to Design Connected's Connector, but none seem to work the way we want (coming from Arch Viz).

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Posting some personal work, it has been a while:

Kitchen modeled in Max, rendered in FStorm.
Spaceship also in Max, rendered in Corona.

I've been doing a decent amount of coding/scripting in the last 6 months and the biggest project I've been working on is an asset manager. For arch-viz we have a ton of assets we tend to reuse (furniture,plants, etc...) but all of the asset managers don't seem to have even a basic search that can find something beyond its broadest category type. I've been working on this now for about 8 or 9 months and maybe when I have a version that's a little bit further along I'll share something from it.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

It's been a while since I've posted anything here but I lurk a good amount. Had a discussion with cubicle gangster about personal work and it inspired me to share a few things I've made in the last couple months. All three of these were made in 1 day (or less) each, I tend to get pretty bored with personal work so I try to do it as quickly as possible. I'm going to try to combat that by working on an entry for the Evolo Skyscraper Competition. I think having that entry as a goal may motivate me to work on something for a bit longer than I would normally.

Done in Max / Corona Render

Done in Max / Corona Render

Done in Max / FStorm

I've been coding an asset manager for the office now for roughly a year. I work in archviz so we have a poo poo ton of furniture / entourage but it's all stored in a terribly mis-organized folder structure which makes it very difficult to find things. Folder structures inherently also force you to organize things by broad types by one characteristic, and we know objects have many other properties that may be useful in certain situations. Say for example you want to find a good leather material -- you don't care what it's currently applied to -- you need to dig around in say the chairs folder just hoping to stumble upon a chair with a leather seat. This obviously wastes a lot of time and people end up recreating materials time and time again. My solution was to make a very flexible tag-based system so you can find objects by any one of many characteristics. I scripted up a submission process that also creates proxied version of all our assets so everything is super light weight. It also resizes the bitmaps used in the materials to several sizes so you choose which version of the material you need depending on the object's distance to the camera. There is no need to have a leather chair with a 4k specular map when it will be 20 pixels square in the final image. Here is one screenshot of it, I know the UI needs some work but it's a work in progress:

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Handiklap posted:

Now that our still-unannounced fledgling app is out of alpha, we're revisiting a similar tool. Is this python?

The app itself is javascript, CSS, and HTML with submission scripts written in maxscript and extendscript for photoshop. I use [url="https:////https://electron.atom.io"]Electron[/url] to wrap it all together and to give it filesystem access even though it's all written in web development languages. Originally I wrote it using mostly jQuery for interacting with it which became a huge pain in the rear end very quickly and then rewrote most of it using Vue about 4 months ago. I decided to start working on this after using some of those other asset mangers like Connector and File Manager? but they were pretty lacking. Doing it in house means we really get to cater it to our needs. When it has matured a little bit I think internally we'll have a discussion about whether or not it's something we may share or sell. I'm mostly just a tinkerer so I'd want someone professional to take a look at it before it goes out to a larger audience.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

SubNat posted:

I've always been curious, does anyone know of or use any kind of local database to keep track of assets?

We have had similar issues at our studio with a growing library but no easy way to search through it so I developed something in-house.

What we have is not ready for release outside our doors but what would you be willing to pay for this? I’m trying to gauge whether development for outside use is something we should look into.

We use it as a library for our furniture and accessories and a searchable library for completed images (I work in archviz) but the hope is to the ability to add other types of assets—textures, hdris, materials, etc.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

SubNat posted:

Sorry for the upcoming question tsunami:

In response to the tsunami!

We use the app currently in our NYC office with about 12 artists and the London office is in the process of starting to roll it out.

There is a submission script with in Max that prompts you with a few questions about the asset— its name, the designer, its materiality, the type of object it is, etc…, and if you want to add any additional tags. It renders a 3/4 view and a 360 preview. The script does some optimizations to the object and its material textures to make it more efficient to use in scenes. The object and its related data, textures, and proxy file are all saved in a self contained folder to a logical place on our asset drive based on the broad type of object it is. This creates a backup folder structure that is easily navigable by a human if the app breaks somewhere down the road.

I wrote an desktop client application that you give a folder to and it searches that folder for all the data files generated by the submission process above and constructs a database that the application allows you to search through. It uses a fuzzy search with some custom weighting and common word replacement to try to give you the most relevant results and it works pretty well. I’ll end up rewriting it one of these days to be better though. The app gives you thumbnails of your results, and it allows you to view the 360 previews, and allows you to drag and drop your asset from the app right into your max scene.

To answer some of your questions more directly:
In the app you can edit the tags, or you can manually open the data file in any text editor.
There is only a client program.
All the client apps artists are using would access a database stored somewhere on your office server. The database can be rebuilt at any time by any client where it will search through whatever folder you give it, find all the data files and reconstruct a searchable database. There is no permanent central database you have to worry about being corrupted and rendering the app useless. You could even make other applications to interact with this data. The first version was actually a website that you could search and it would just open the relevant object’s folder in explorer.

Right now the app is highly specific to how our office operates, but with time it can be made to be more general. I think if we were to be more serious about letting it loose into the world we’d bring on some programmers and as someone who is just a tinkerer I would probably just help guide the development. I intend for it to be more flexible so you essentially can use it to create a visual search engine for any type of asset as long as you can create an associated datafile for it.

Right now we use it for our own still images, VR files, and 3D models, but there is no reason it couldn’t be used for HDRI’s or materials.

We have about 1800 objects in our 3D model library now, and about 400 in our image/vr database. It has been a huge boost in productivity for a number of projects. It cuts down on the same objects being remodeled time and time again, and it allows you to easily find past images for inspiration or reference. It’s also created a nice 360 image database of everyday object and furniture pieces that could be a helpful for a computer vision dataset but that’s a whole other idea.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Posting some personal work I did for the Evolo skyscraper competition this year:

Each was rendered out at around 5K, combo of Corona + FStorm.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

These are beautiful vistas, like what percentage of these images is your work? Is it all CG?

The only part that is CG is the single tower. Half of doing archviz well is finding and editing background photography. For this project I'd say I spent probably close to 20 hours doing nothing but looking through photos to find the right ones. I bought some off of shutter stock and had to do a ton of work to them, didn't realize just how noisy they were in the 1k pixel preview.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Ccs posted:

I think the planets could use some more atmospheric blur around them, they look very stark against the star field. Especially the mechanical moon thing next to the planet.

I agree. A 20px gaussian blur at something like 40% might be enough to just help the background sit back a bit, but I'm digging the overall look.

The floor material in the interior looks quite good, but maybe the ceiling lights could get a bit more articulation?

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Like my colleague cubicle gangster I too just got a new place. To help convince the gf of certain furniture choices I built a 3D model of the main spaces. I did 3 to 4 iterations of the living room but this one is probably the best standalone image.

Here is another personal image I whipped up this afternoon. I miss the looseness and imprecision of painting and graphite drawing and I'm sort of working on a photobash/render style that doesn't try too hard to be photorealistic.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

I started playing around with 3D when I was in early middle school. At the time I was really into Civ 3 and got into the modding scene. There were a few guys on a civilization forum producing some very cool custom units for the game and I tired to emulate what they were doing. They were using this program called OpenFX which for some reason still exists. I didn’t produce much other than a bunch of barely edited primitives stacked on each other, but it was a start and everyone on the forum was supportive and gave all sorts of advice.

I studied architecture and got into modeling and image making for presentations. I did one internship with a huge architecture firm where I worked exclusively on skyscrapers. The internship did not live up to my expectations. The firm’s culture was terrible, the backstabbing, the egos, the lack of work-life balance…I knew after this experience and hearing similar things about almost every other firm my time in a traditional architecture practice was done. I wanted to focus on what I loved doing in school which was the image making. I spent my first two months after graduate school doing nothing but watching 3ds + Vray tutorials and whipped up a small portfolio and I’ve been in arch-viz since.

Ccs posted:

Can you talk to them about creating a program structured around arch-viz, or at least suggesting it and maybe doing a weekend workshop about how to start doing it and making production-quality images?

Some of the architecture schools do teach very basic arch-viz courses but no one off the street can just walk in and take it. And in architecture school the students are too busy with other courses to devote significant time to learning all of arch-viz. You’re right maybe trying to teach a workshop in a more 3D focused program could introduce more people to arch viz.

I think one of the problems is that arch viz isn’t highly regarded within architecture. In school you’ll often hear critics/professors telling students who produce sophisticated images that they don’t want to be stuck as the ‘rendering guy’. That sticks with people that it isn’t considered ‘design’. What they don’t know is for years out of school if you pursue pure architecture you’ll just end up a Revit robot churning out door schedules and won’t be doing design anyway. I’d rather be the ‘rendering guy’.

Arch-viz is then not really talked about in 3D school programs. I know where I went to art school all the 3D majors I met were completely focused on going into movies or video games.

There is some training that would be required to help get someone from a 3D background get up to speed on architectural things like how windows are typically detailed and how to read plans/sections/elevations, and how architecture is typically photographed but we help people with this all the time.

I’d want us to have more people with 3D experience outside of architecture at the office, they bring some skills and experience that we need, especially for animation work.

Gearman posted:

We also have an internal training program for any incoming non-senior artist that lasts three months. It's structured similarly to our public coursework but goes a bit more in-depth.

Thanks for sharing the course Gearman, I skimmed it the other morning and it seems to be the perfect intro to arch-viz modeling.

During the 3 month training course are people just focused on learning or are they also producing work that goes out?

How do you guys handle the thousands of assets you have? I imagine you have to build up scenes to place products into.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

I’m not sure about Redshift but the way it works for Fstorm is that you can have mismatched videocards. However, if you want them both to be rendering your scene the video ram usage is limited by the card with the lower amount of ram. People with Fstorm with mismatched cards generally assign the lower v ram card to handling the UI so it’s still responsive when rendering and then have the other more powerful card only handling rendering.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

I'm going to reiterate what some have already touched on, but slim down your body of work to just your best images and throw them up on behance/artstation/a simple squarespace site. I know how to do web design but my own site is still a squarespace because it's painful and unnecessary to reinvent the wheel for a portfolio site that won't really do anything better or different than what those industry standard sites already do.

If you are wanting to get some archviz work either freelancing or going in-house at an arch firm I would recommend doing 1 or 2 images of something more architecturally interesting or significant. This will standout far more than a car dealership/chain restaurant image. Pick a nice building or two and do your own images of it. Take your time, pull up as many references as you can, and just go slow till your happy. (Just whatever you do don't do images of the Barcelona Pavilion because everyone has done it already.)

I wanted to share a two quick images I did for fun a few months back. I mentioned some time ago that I get bored quickly on personal 3D work and wanted to explore a more loose aesthetic. These final products are not renderings at all but are purely photoshop/photobashing, hope that's alright!

SpoonsForThought fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 18, 2019

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Putty posted:

Tried out the Mixer beta at work and it feels really underwhelming when compared to Substance.

I feel the same way. I’m in no way an expert in Substance but Mixer feels sluggish and the UI is similar enough to Painter/Photoshop to be confusing when things don’t work the way you expect they should. I’m optimistic but in my experience Quixel related programs have always felt a bit janky.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

SubNat posted:

Both upscaling and up-fpsing at the same time? What solution/program did you use?
I assume that means the video-oriented upscalers have started maturing as well? Last I checked 'em out it was mostly just batch-upscaling the frames independently, which led to some temporal instability/flickering.

I was working with Cubicle on this. I believe we used Topaz firs to up-res the shot and then we experimented with a couple of apps that wrap implementations of DAIN and CAIN or RIFE interpolation. I believe the software that we used for the shot Cubicle mentioned was the Dain-App. The developer's Patreon is here https://www.patreon.com/DAINAPP. Looks like he has moved on and started working on his own wrappers for RIFE.

I've also seen FlowFrame mentioned as well but haven't used it. https://github.com/n00mkrad/flowframes

I had really good luck with a version of a CAIN app I found via the Dain-App discord. I'm not sure if there is a a page for that. If you DM me I can dig it up.

Seems like it's still early days for all these tools so they can be a bit flakey. At our office we ran into some issues where they didn't want to work on some PCs, but I haven't had any trouble on my home workstation.

From my limited understanding in terms of speed it goes DAIN (Slow) > CAIN (Fast) > RIFE (Faster). I believe they are all GPU based (I think DAIN is Nvidia only) and on my 3090 I could churn through a 300-500 frame sequence in maybe 3 minutes going from 24 > 96 using CAIN.

If you want to know more I'd recommend joining the Dain-App discord https://discord.gg/xsKMQxPS and having someone there point you the right direction.

SpoonsForThought fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 17, 2021

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Opps. Quote is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Oh it's 100% happening, just need to decide where we are staying and how many additional days.
Would love to pick your brain on recommendations! Where to stay for the first half, where to eat, what to see etc
And let me know if you're able to swing it, would be great to hang out!

I’ve been staying downtown at the Virgin hotel when I’ve been in New Orleans over the last year. It’s kind of a scene, but actually pretty nice. Short little Uber from the French quarter.

Been ages since I’ve posted in the thread, but after working with Cubicle for 5+ years and a short stint at a tech company that shall not be named, I’ve now been at TurboSquid/Shutterstock for the last year. We are working on some really exciting things that I should be able to talk more about starting in the next week or so.