Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

keyframe posted:

Modo 701 came out today. I ended up buying it this morning since I need a cheap and good app for my freelance work and modo fits that bill nicely.

http://www.luxology.com/modo/701/tour/

I bought 601 when they had a 40% off sale at the end of last year. I really like this program and depending on what the new features are, maybe I'll upgrade soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Frankenfinger posted:

I need to find a new job. This is my website https://www.tomhutchinsart.com. Aside from the fact that I live in the worst city on the planet for anything 3D viz related, how horrible are my chances?

Do you have any interest in relocation and possibly working in programs other than Max? The work on your website is similar to the type stuff we produce (we actually have some of the same clients you've worked with as well).

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Keket posted:

Anyone got any experience with modo? Or could recommend any good tutorials or resources?

Late to the party on this but I only check this thread every once in a long while. I use Modo daily and am always on the lookout for new learning materials and tutorials. Some places to get started are:

YouTube:
- https://www.pixelfondue.com
Tons of information and tutorials here. YouTube videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk_uW-XmKnH0KQs-NmE0AUQ/videos
Includes over 350 minute-or-less videos focusing on specific tools or techniques in Modo.

- Steve Barrett: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO5QiM7emXQTy8Hhe-lMdfg/videos?view=0&sort=dd&flow=grid
Lots of procedural modeling tutorials

- Warren Marshall: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5dRrOarPI6ufGWsabG28FQ
Has a tutorial on his personal game prop workflow.

Pluralsight has some good videos for Modo on shading and texturing, rendering, lighting, rigging, etc. There are also some for modeling and even though they are older videos, they are still relevant

Gnomon also has a few tutorials that feature Modo. Worth a look if you are into concepting and/or vfx work.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

KinkyJohn posted:

If all you had to do forever is render realistic glass bottles, beers and beverages, what would be your ideal setup?

Currently I’m running Modo and I’m eyeing Octane for better glass renders.

I use Modo daily for product and environmental visualization. I use the default renderer for probably half of what I output and V-Ray for Modo for the remainder. No experience with Octane yet but I get everything I need from the other two. The V-Ray RT renderer is very good and fast, especially in hybrid CPU/GPU mode and multiple graphics cards. It's integrated nearly seamlessly with Modo as well so you don't have to learn any new shading workflows and can work directly with Modo's shaders in the shader tree.

I would suggest getting trials for both Octane and V-Ray and see what works better for your workflow. I'd also possibly hold off on purchasing any new renderers until later this year. The Foundry is currently integrating ProRender into Modo and I would expect being able to test it out in the 12.2 public beta when it comes out in the next couple of moths.

Also, if you haven't seen this Condensation Pack, I'd recommend picking it up. It's really nice and only 10 bucks.
https://gumroad.com/jirka

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Huh, so Modo has a literal turntable button to render, well, turntables. :doh:
I learned how to animate a little because I didn’t know

Anyway,.. Whats an easy way to convert a bunch of png frames into a video for YouTube or general sharing? For free, since I don’t have video editing soft and it’s too expensive just for random stuff

Check out BlackMagic's Fusion and DaVinci Resolve. One's a compositor (Fusion), another is an video editor (Resolve). Both have free versions that work really well and have few restrictions and can handle exactly what you're looking to do.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

BonoMan posted:

The new free version of Resolve has Fusion built in too.

Interesting. I haven't checked on that software for quite a while. I'll have to check it out and see how well they work together.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Kanine posted:

https://cgpress.org/archives/quadremesher-tool-released-for-max-maya-and-cinema-4d.html

oh gently caress yeah, apparently 3ds max now has a similar tool to zremesher (i think from the same person even?) this looks really promising based on some of my tests with it

Definitely from the original programmer for ZRemesher.

https://polycount.com/discussion/208030/quadremesher-new-auto-retopo-plugin-for-maya-3dsmax/p1

I saw this released a couple of weeks ago and kind of forgot about it until now. I need to download the trial and test it to see if it would help with the CAD files I frequently import.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Synthbuttrange posted:

Finally sitting down at her computer I was aghast to find that she was working with a 12 year old version of Lightwave for her 3d work.

Ugh, don't get me started on Lightwave. Work just recently forced me to go back to using it and not allowing me to use other DCC apps. My work is probably 90% modeling and it's so primitive compared to the workflow in almost any other program out there. UVing sucks. Texturing sucks. The non-interactive tools, lack of a true 3D gizmo, and OpenGL performance is terrible. Making any complex selection is an exercise in frustration and god forbid if you screw that up and need to start over because the undo system is absolutely the worst. There's been a freeze on technology spending so I'm stuck with it for the foreseeable future. Bleh.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Taffer posted:

So since you put in your 2 weeks when they told you that you'll be out soon, right?

Right????

The tech spending freeze essentially ended all subscriptions to the software we rented in our department (except for Creative Cloud) causing everyone to fall back on the only permanent licenses we still have ... Lightwave 2015. We were actually in the middle of finalizing a department-wide transition to C4D with V-Ray so that we could work more easily with the multimedia team but then the freeze came and it was abrupt. It sucks and my manager understands our frustrations and shares them, too, but these are orders from the bean counters and C-level execs to help make numbers for this year.

I don't think I'll be leaving any time soon. The company is actually a nice place to work. They really do treat you well and the benefits offered are great so I'll just tough it out until we can get back on to our roadmap.

mutata posted:

I just assumed Lightwave was dead by now. Jeez. I started polygonal 3d in ligtwave as a 16 year old, heh.

Edit: Tell them Blender is free.

They might as well be dead. They are so far behind all the other DCC apps and with the developer resources they have, I don't think they ever will. Newtek was recently bought out by a competitor for their Tricaster product (their real bread-winner) so I won't be surprised if it's discontinued within the next few years.

ceebee posted:

Lightwave suuuuucks these days. Just convince them to go to Blender, it's free.

Tried. Too much resistance from coworkers so it'll never work. :-\

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

bring back old gbs posted:

I don't think you'll ever convince anybody to switch unless you actually do it first and show them how advanced it is. I'm totally talking out my rear end here because I use c4d, but my 2nd hand understanding of Blender is that it has a really unintuitive interface just for the sake of it.

That doesn't seem to be true anymore though, with 2.8 changing things up, watching the one guy at Corridor Crew handle decent shots with it pretty quickly, and seeing those 1 minute tutorials that they have particles, physics, liquids, everything you'd really want. I am REALLY jealous of people who already have a bit of a foothold with Blender, I should probably just start learning it with a little character to model and rig.

Preaching to the choir, brother. I swear that some people treat 'loyalty' to some software the same as others do to political parties. You can't convince or show them that something else can be or is better. They just double down on their opinion instead of listening.

Anyone remember when you were a kid and your parents would give you chicken at dinner time and insisted that you at least try it? You'd kick, scream, and flat-out refuse to try it because it 'looks yucky'.

"You loved the chicken nuggets we gave you yesterday for lunch. You even had seconds! This is chicken, too, and you will also like this," they'd say.

You would then retort with, "This is not chicken nuggets! I don't like it!"

"Please take a 'no thank you' bite."

"No."

"Please? It is really good."

"NO!"

"Please?"

"NO!"

"Please? For me? Can you do it for me?"

"FINE!" and then you proceed to pick up the smallest piece on your plate, take the smallest nibble you possibly could, wiggle your jaw for a second, and then spit it back onto your plate and act like you were nearly poisoned.

"There," you'd say, "I tried it. Can I have chicken nuggets now?"

Roll Credits:

Parent = Me and every other sane person in the department
Kid = people stuck in their ways and refuse to adapt to changing times
Chicken nuggets = software that Kid refuses to give up
Chicken = software that does everything that Chicken Nuggets does and more

Fragrag posted:

You would think that a company would have kept an eye on the landscape shifting towards SAAS subscription models. drat that sucks rear end.

Tell me about it. That was the reasoning in our roadmap to go back to perpetual licensing. We needed to transition to something better than Lightwave and we were doing just that for the last couple of years. We soon realized SaaS is going to burn us if spending is frozen at the beginning of our new fiscal year. I personally wanted to move to Modo since it's perfect for my needs. I have my own personal license and use it at home whenever I have free time. It's the best modeler I've used and it can do great still renders right out of the box. Since it's not just me making decisions, we settled on C4D perpetual licenses which will improve interoperability with the After Effects crew immensely. We now just need to wait until the start of the next fiscal to see if we will get any funding to make it happen. I still expect to see some kicking and screaming about this change.

quote:

I tried Blender 2.8 several weeks ago, coming from a 3ds max background. The transition wasn’t actually too difficult if you use the industry standard key map. Everything is familiar but there are enough differences to keep you on your toes which is actually quite beneficial in preventing you from shoehorning in the wrong workflows.
Good to hear. I need to work on learning more than just the fundamentals in Blender.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

KinkyJohn posted:

I want to get into Unity and I want to know if Modo plays nicely with it? I’ve been using Modo for a few years now after abandoning Maya but I’m wondering if getting back into Maya will make working in Unity easier

I use Modo as well (chiefly at home now since work switched software packages) mainly for product and environmental modeling and rendering, but they did recently release support for a Unity bridge between the apps. I haven't tried it for myself but if it works as well as the Unreal Bridge, you'll have no problems getting models into Unity. I can't comment on animation, though, since I've never had to do that aspect while working with real-time engines.

https://learn.foundry.com/modo/content/help/pages/appendices/unity_modo_bridge.html

Plus, as I'm sure you're aware, you can set your materials to mimic Unity shaders to preview them in the Advanced Viewport and it can be pretty darned close to what you would expect in-engine. Here's a video someone did comparing three DCC apps' real-time previews to Unreal. I'd imagine that it wouldn't be too different for Unity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6S7hF4YITo

Edit:

500 posted:

Working on my own global illumination and soft shadows in the browser. The only difference between mine and the unreal engine one is that mine is completely fake (i.e. it lerps through a lightmap spritesheet in the shader)

https://i.imgur.com/phx8r4P.gifv
That's some pretty slick stuff happening, there. Nice job!

autojive fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 16, 2020

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

cubicle gangster posted:

Toomuchabstraction -
I know you're working with simple shapes right now, but when you look into subdivision watch this!
https://vimeo.com/10941211

Speaking of Grant Warwick, anyone know what happened to him? He seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth earlier this year. His website went dark and the domain is up for sale.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

KinkyJohn posted:

Is there a way to make each polygon a unique flat diffuse/speculare color in Modo? (Or actually any software for that matter)

I want to animate the vertices moving on a low poly triangulated object, with different colours on each poly.

Is this what you're thinking? I fairly certain that you should also be able to set something up using the schematic to control it on the polygon level.

https://learn.foundry.com/modo/902/content/help/pages/shading_lighting/shader_items/variations.html - Help page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP-smRI_4TU

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Listerine posted:

I'm sure you've all seen it reported, and it's no surprise but Pixologic changed their upgrade policy, no more perpetual upgrades.

https://support.pixologic.com/article/163-upgrade-policy

"ZBrush perpetual customers who purchased prior to December 29, 2021, are entitled to free updates for one year following their purchase. No free upgrades will be included for customers who purchased a perpetual license after December 29, 2021."

Maxon's gotta make back what they spent to buy Pixologic. Here's to $300/year maintenance for ZBrush. :-\

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

EoinCannon posted:

It will be worth it though because all the extra revenue will mean they can invest in improving the product so much more

Ha ha ha hahahahahahahahaha! Thanks, I needed that laugh.

They won’t invest unless it’s absolutely necessary. That money’s going to Nametschek and they’re going to squeeze as much revenue out of it with as little investment as possible. That means minimal staff to pay and small yearly updates to keep customers paying for the software. I don’t see major innovation happening for Zbrush for a very long time. One only has to look at what they’ve been doing with their other software since switching those over to subscription only to see the future of Zbrush.

It would have been better if Pixologic had just started charging for updates themselves. I know a private company would have invested in their product more with extra revenue than one that is beholden to a parent company to maximize profits for their shareholders.

autojive fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 9, 2022

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

BonoMan posted:

Maxxon isn't quite Autodesk.

Not quite Autodesk... more like Adobe. They hired a former Adobe executive as their new CEO and ousted the company founders. It wasn't soon after that they started moving toward a full subscription model and considering what Adobe's done so far with Substance, I don't have any high hopes at all for a fair pricing model for us. Subscription prices for ZBrush will go up, perpetual licenses will go up and I'm betting at least 25-35% of the full price as a yearly maintenance cost.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Listerine posted:

I'd be curious to know what alternatives you think you could go to? I know a lot of folks talk up 3D Coat or Blender, but they never seem to be the folks that live in Zbrush full time.

I know I may sound like a doomsayer but I'm just really salty about Pixologic selling to Maxon. It may not be as bad as what Autodesk would do with it but it won't be all sunshine and roses. My office uses Maxon products and I've seen how they've changed their acquisitions over the last couple years to sub-only and increasing maintenance costs for perpetual owners every year. I have a personal copy of ZBrush so I'm not looking forward to paying Maxon what will turn into yearly increasing maintenance to try and force me into subs. I may be wrong but I have a feeling it's going to pan out this way. It won't be happening right off the bat, but it will be this way a couple years down the road.

If it does happen this way, I won't stay up-to-date with it and just use the latest version I have for my hobby use until it no longer works with my OS. If it stops working, maybe Blender will be good enough for what I want... who knows?

Edit: Someone found this link to a pricelist on a third-party seller site stating the planned upgrade price to ZBrush 2022 to be €579. That's insane. €210 less than a new license. 2021 looks to be my last version.

autojive fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 12, 2022

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

keyframe posted:

I don't think you need to change your career because you might have to pay 300$/year to upgrade zbrush man. gently caress maxon and all but you guys are being a bit drastic.

Someone on Reddit found this price sheet on a third part reseller site and if you scroll to page 3, it shows the ZBrush upgrade price for perpetual licenses to be €579. A subscription is currently US$480/year and it looks like they aren't going to price the upgrade to be lower than a sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

sigma 6 posted:

So the other day I had a student using zbrush on an ipad connected to a mac workstation. I shocked to see it basically works like a cintiq. My friend who has an ipad connected to his PC (MSI stealth GS66) laptop and could not make the pressure sensitivity work. Can anyone speak to this? Is this a mac vs. pc thing? Or an ipad vs. ipad pro thing? Kinda wanna get an ipad but I kinda wanna get a cheap cintiq 16 or even huion 16 inich kanvas but I feel like the ipad is a lot less clunky to take to a coffee shop and plug into my (again PC) laptop. I just don't want to have an ipad that isn't fully functional with zbrush and my friend with the MSI claims he has to pay for an app to make it work like an external tablet to the PC and in his case the pressure sensitivity does NOT work. At least not with zbrush.

It's likely that they were using Astropad which allows you to turn the iPad into an input device for your computer. It's been Mac-only for a few years now but it seems that there is a Windows version in public beta at the moment and may be worth looking into.