Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hello everyone.

I'm starting Animation at uni, and even though we don't get 3DCG until next year, I'd like to start poking around on my own.

I currently have a AMD2 5200+ with 2gb of RAM and an Integrated Radeon HD 3200 video card.

Is this going to be enough to start experimenting a little, or should I get a new video card ASAP? I was thinking about getting 2 more gb of ram and a 1gb Radeon HD4850 card, but if I can make do with the onboard one until next year, I can probably get a newer one for the same amount of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hinchu posted:

It's all in how you set up the scene and work in how much you need in processor and video card. I'm of the school that you don't need fancy hardware to create great scenes and models. It's all in how you use the program.

Having a fast computer always helps, but really, competency in hardware is all I've ever really needed. I've never really worked on the l33t h4x0r machine that's decked out to the max and anytime a scene gets too complex, you know and work around it, and it's not too bad.

Remember, it's the person making the art not the machine. (Although I do tell people that I just wave my magical wacom wand at the screen and rainbows begin shooting out of my rear end.)

I know that it depends on me, but I was just wondering, seeing as my laptop can't even run google sketchup at low detail without dying every time I try to turn the model around.

I'm just getting started on this, so I won't be doing any fancy stuff yet, I just wanted to know if I could start trying stuff on this machine until I needed something bigger because my awesome 3d skills required it. (yeah, right).

Thanks for the advice, I'll go wave my brand new wacom wand and see what comes out!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Heintje, sorry to bother you, but I would like to ask you some questions, is there any way you could contact me? (I don't have PM and I don't want to make you post any contact information you'd rather not).

My mail is axeldr@gmail.com

Thanks in advance, mate.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I posted this in the Creative Career thread, but after reading the OP again, I think it may fit here as well.

I want to start studying computer animation (I still haven't decided on a specific orientation), and I'll probably end up in Australia, seeing as my own country's animation schools (both of them) pretty much suck, and Australia is the only place I can currently get a work+study visa.

So I turn to any of you who is Australian or Australia-based, to ask you for recommendations on good schools/universities I should look into to start studying over there. I haven't got a particular location in mind yet, so anything goes until I narrow it down.

Thanks.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks for all the input.

Unfortunately, anything outside of Australia is impossible for the time being (can't pay for it if I don't work), so the plan I had in mind was: Go to Australia, start at the entry level, and once I finish up there use the money I saved up to go somewhere else.

It's still really far fetched for now, and depends on a million different things, but I wanted to get a headstart with the whole "choose a bloody place" before arriving there. v:shobon:v

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 5, 2009