Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hey all, been a lurker of this topic for awhile now, some pretty neat things going on.

I'm just starting out with 3dsmax as part of my uni course, we've got an assignment to model, texture and light a room. I've gone with a sorta sci-fi theme and Have done the basic model, will be adding details over the next few days.

edit: nevermind, sorted out the question. Might post progress shots of the room later on.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

cubicle gangster posted:

You're kind of right on both, i think the benches are too small, they're just temporary ones and were thrown in quick. I think the lamp and wall texture are still too big though, but thats it - everything else was measured and they were the only ones done by eye. Didnt notice it because i am poo poo at scale :3:

Looking nice. I don't know much about 3d stuff (still learning) but the track and tunnel don't seem right.

The arch needs to be extruded towards the camera a bit, have the arch made of larger blocks (like most arches) and not just flat like the rest of the wall. It doesn't need to come out much, only an inch or two but it'd look a lot better.

Another problem is the height of the tracks, either it's a really large guage of track or a really small platform. The platform should be a bit higher if it's a trainstation, unless it's a lowfloor tram platform. Otherwise it looks a little odd.

Some platforms from my city (melbourne)

Tram platform, very low to the ground, doors are level with platform height.
http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/gallery/photography/Trams/slides/ColSS2.jpg
http://www.robx1.net/victkt/metcard/jpg06/rlvm11.jpg

Train Platform, height is almost level with train door. approx 3ft from track level
https://wi.somethingawful.com/d3/d39a58b644c0efc65956223fab408990616193aa.jpg

Also, the tunnel curves away a bit too fast. It'd be hard for a train carraige (or a tram) to bend without scraping the walls, of course this is going off the size of the tracks, not an actual train/tram so it isn't that much of an issue :p

Nice work.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 30, 2009

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Got a question about Mudbox and high poly characters used for normal/bump maps. My course starts back up in a few weeks and this year we'll be using Mudbox a little bit for some of our 3d stuff. As a side project I want to make a game character and create the normal maps in mudbox and add a bunch of small details. (probably for UT3/UT2k4)

I've looked around for some tutorials but it seems a lot of people start by making the character in modbox or zbrush firsthand, then create a lowpoly model afterwards to bake it all onto. Other sites have the the reverse prosecc, make the lowpoly in 3dsmax and import it in for the finer details. What's the best course of action?

And If you are wondering, I'm probably going to make a rigged model of Lucius Vorenus, based on Kevin Mckidds character in HBO's Rome.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I wish. I've just been rewatching the series on blu-ray recently (plus watching gladiator the other night) and decided to create something Roman.