Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

cubicle gangster posted:

Max has a modifier called 'material by element'. It randomises every material in your multi-sub over the elements within your edit poly object. You can also set weightings, so some are more likley to show up than others.

The colour correct script comes in handy here - if you have that under each of your bitmaps you can easily adjust the hue/saturation slightly on each copy of the material.

Also, seeing as i've not posted in a few weeks/months - here's a little job I had on from last week.
Story is I went on holiday for a few weeks, then moved into a new place (still dont have the net at home), and since then (and for a long time now, probably until october) i'm doing work on something I cant show anyone.

I know someone picked on the left side of the image but that's my favorite part. The extreme left, both the wall and the floor just look great to me. Extreme light angles typically emphasize imperfections in that kind of floor and you handled it just perfectly.

For me the best parts of these architectural renderings are in the corners, in the shaded areas where the image really sells you on the realism. If I saw a crop of just that part of the image, without the wide angle distortion I might not be able to tell it's a render.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have been playing with 3D since the late 1980s and unfortunately never really bent myself to the task like I should've, especially since I enjoy it so much. The oldest stuff is gone but here's a few from the 1990s. I was always obsessed with lighting, a death sentence back in those days when rendering speeds were so slow. I put three lights in that candle on the table and it almost melted my PC.

Most everything here is done with Bryce 2. I think the Rollies were in an old version of Lightwave and were the first model I ever rigged. My hat is off to everyone in this thread, especially those of you who started off about a light year beyond where I finished!

Click here for the full 800x365 image.

Click here for the full 1024x467 image.

Click here for the full 1024x467 image.

Click here for the full 800x365 image.

Click here for the full 909x701 image.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When computer graphics are absolutely everywhere, and have forced out so much of traditional effects and animation how is it that so many of the vfx companies are going out of business?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Haledjian posted:

Hey, I have a little question for you guys. I'm working on remaking a model of a transforming mech from 1998 Electronic Arts game, based on the cutscenes and promo art.

Oh man, I think that was the first 3d accelerated game I played, on my old Performa. How did you decide on using it?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have been dabbling in 3D since the Eighties, but have not touched it since the 2000s. This weekend I downloaded Blender and have been following a nice YT series teaching me to make a donut.

The array of tools, the ease of use and how quickly everything responds is amazing. So much is included in the software that used to be add-ons, and expensive ones at that.

My primary interest is in architectural renderings, trying to make spaces look like something I would photograph in the real world, so I'm hoping that I can stick with it long enough to become as proficient as I used to be in the old days with tools like Lightwave.

EDIT: Oh hey it's only been seven years since I last posted in this thread.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Come make donuts with me! :kiddo:

EDIT: Behold! a Level 1 donut! This was the first time I ever got to try subsurface scattering, and the modeling tools are very cool even if I am a fumbling novice. It's nice to see that the things I learned about lights and textures from way back when I used old programs like Raydream and Bryce 3D still are useful

EDIT 2: The particle tool is amazing, and it was nice to see how much control I had over the randomization of color, size, etc. Would've had to have placed each one of these by hand in the old days! And it looks like I can go back and adjust all the variables as many times as I please without destroying anything.

EDIT 3: Textured! An interesting experience working with the UV mapper and especially nodes. There is an absurd amount of power in those nodes.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 22, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I look at these tools and think about the great many hours I spent in Bryce, and how flexible it was. Would love to have something like that for cranking out organic surfaces and skies.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just want to say that I love it when you all share your works, even if you're just getting started.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't know if fractals belong here but they're so weird and I love them.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 11, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm still a Blender novice so I'm just using Mandelbulb3d to model, light and render then into Photoshop for post, like Z-buffer blurring.

EDIT:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 14, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Excellent critique. I've been supporting architectural teams for a long time now and it's often difficult to get your points across to them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Back when I was a 3DCG hobbyist I mostly made environments, architectural visualization, that sort of thing. Do you think I could get my fix using Unreal Engine? I've been watching videos and although they focus on building maps for games the quality and tools look so nice I was wondering if it could serve my purpose of making pretty pictures.

My concern would be if it's difficult to find good quality objects/textures, or if it would be overwhelming to learn due to being focused on game creation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thank you all for the feedback, it's encouraging. Thinking back to the old days trying to create natural looking scenes with Bryce, Raydream, Lightwave... the UE tools are amazing.

My needs are simple, and I like the idea of learning something new while also finally getting my 3d fix again.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This is delightful.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My office in the Uncanny Valley

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Also semi related.. but I was surprised to find that windows preview pane supports obj. Nuts!

I never knew this. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:yooge:

https://twitter.com/JimMorren/status/1565290803358060545?s=20&t=tjZhGOWfiF8-NRAa9603iQ