Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
I got frustrated with a game prototype I was making, having to source models. So I've spent some time learning about low poly modelling and UV texturing in 3dsMax. Playing with some toony proportions here.

Character Series (WIP) by cYnborg

Read through the previous posts and saw the photogrammetry examples. Took some photos of a plaster skull with my phone... I'm a bit creeped out at how easy it is.

Skull photogrammetry

Doesn't look like much, but it's a very close reproduction of the object. Cleaned up in max and mudbox, previewed in mudbox.

cYn fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

With the addition of a really simple basic UVW map (just default spherical one, with 'real world map size' unticked) the whole thing is fine. A weird spot was grey but ticking 'tile' in the texture's material editor fixed it. Thanks a lot for putting me on the right track. Now to make the thing actually look decent! I'll post the finished thing here when I get done with it.

You could also try using a spherised cube instead.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
This is what happens if you move while I'm trying to photoscan you :zombie:

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

That could be really cool, see if you can move more of the upper body next time and do some Cronenberg stuff.

It had crossed my mind as a potentially cool glitch art thing.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
I'm using https://recap360.autodesk.com/index.aspx#home because it's quicker than trying to render on my desktop. Then 3ds and Mudbox.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
I made a thing

Big http://i.imgur.com/uKplCEE.jpg

Big http://i.imgur.com/1SZuVX4.jpg

cYn fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 1, 2014

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Thanks, drawn out process... made the plaster skull(I use them for clay sculpting), photoscanned/photogrammatery, mudbox, 3ds + vray, photoshop. Yeah the first one is a bit crappy res. Planning on doing some portraits like this.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

Just about done with that mono wheel.

Lookin good.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Yeah thanks I was thinking all those things too. It happened because he got distracted and moved, started talking. I carried on anyway. But now I do have a lot of ideas, the iteration is just a bit slow, it's a lot of work.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Happy with this render. Might make some prints later. Going to move on to something else.

detail

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Messing around with vehicle shapes, for my little deco, futurism, Metropolis inspired anti grav racer.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

those are some expensive looking dildoes

Cars and cocks have always been interchangeable, I'm heading in the right direction.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
More sex toys as I try out colour schemes. The hard part is getting them to look the same in game as they do when you're texturing them outside of the engine.

Substance Painter

Unity

Unity

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

mutata posted:

Are you using Unity 5? If you're using Unity 4, that does not have a PBR pipeline so your materials are going to come out quite different than they look in Substance.

Unity 5, the skybox appears to make a big difference, as it should.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
In game render tests and I've thrown together a web page to commit myself to the project.
http://www.projectpixel.net

Needs more lens flare.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Some rough footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huaC2dhheTk

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Megaspel posted:

I thought the Surface had Wacom digitizers, like the Galaxy Notes. I've heard plenty of other bad things about it mind you.

Surface Pro, not standard Surface.

Edit. Oh that was established, never mind.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Eastdrom posted:

Made a little LP snowboarder.

This is lovely, well done.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Eastdrom posted:

:eng101: thanks. If anyone wants to make a wee snowboarding game, i can be that guy.

Well if you want to do one just for a laugh, I could put it into the Santa ski jump "game" that I made for the awful xmas game jam. It's just a physics toy where you launch something down a ski ramp then try to get them to jump through a spinning ring and collect an item. But I did that in a couple of days, so obviously less poo poo.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Yeahhh I don't have pm's.
ryan at projectpixel.net

Does it have rigging? If not I will give it a go, although I'm still kinda new to it. If you send it over, I'll have a look at putting it in tomorrow.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Help :/

Dildo aesthetic aside, what does my missile look ok in 3dsmax but awful in real time?

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

KiddieGrinder posted:

Either collapse it to an editable Mesh, or apply an Edit Mesh modifier before you export it to .fbx.

Or also maybe try Resetting Xform on top of that too.

Wow thanks, I was messing around with smoothing groups etc for ages. Learned something new and important :)

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Just working on a pitch for an arms dealer. I'm going to hell.

https://skfb.ly/OY6t

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Kanine posted:

made a katana based on an unused elysium concept

mview here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DNe9O

That's really cool, I could see it in a Snow Crash game if it was ever made.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah, do you happen to be there? I guess the broader issue is the asset can be anywhere in the world, just a question of which artist pool is the best to draw from

Does it look like a banana? If so I'm your man.

https://memento.autodesk.com/projects/banana--2

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Looks good dude.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Sphincter extruder.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Line work stuff I'm messing around with at work, still very much rough proof of concept. Trying to get people into using real time 3d assets. Might end up making my own player with Unity. Still experimenting.

https://skfb.ly/QNXR

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
On holiday so I'm getting to play around. Started a chibi imp and playing around with line stuff in Unity.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Yep, you just have to make sure the camera is up to spec. It's something I've been wanting to do since drones became a thing, but I can't afford the kit. Loads of examples out there.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

SVU Fan posted:

Other than the fact that yeah it doesn't look anywhere near American feature film quality, huge chunks of the budget for Hollywood feature films are going towards things that aren't vfx. Most A-list actors are making far more than that $5mil budge just for being in the movie. People like RDJ are making $40+ million for each Avengers movie. A-list actors who aren't as big as RDJ working on movies that aren't as big as the Avengers are still making $5-7 million a movie.

Aaaanyway, I think I'm calling this guy done unless anybody has any major critiques. Here are super big renders that I think are way less muddy than the previous finished renders I posted up.

The only obvious thing I can see is the blurry texture seem down the middle of his head.
Really cool portrait though.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Trying to figure out toons may as well start here.

Pose obviously thrown together because couldn't be arsed to rig right now.

cYn fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 13, 2016

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Added some accessories. Jake next etc.

https://skfb.ly/SXsw

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Practicing

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Somewhat off topic, I don't have the time to model a series of low low poly characters. I've found some on turbosquid (I think), but I'm going to need quite a few for the game I'm making.

Current search term "low poly characters" is way to vague. Any suggestions, know of some place that has might be selling similar stuff?

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Kanine posted:

why not just commission an artist

I'd love to, but it's not my project, I can't make that call. The same reason why I'm not just making the models myself.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Makin' a bear.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
In focus, the background is used for reference. Don't go for shallow depth of field.
Unless you're using a turntable and software that works ok with the turntable method.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
I'm the VR guy at work. Which isn't saying much, but as clients are demanding it I'm getting taken more seriously.

Currently we farm most of it out to our game studio, but I'm getting it established in our office. Most interest seems to be from car manufacturers and retailers at the moment. Like Jaguar.

cYn fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

We pitched to a couple and didnt get any bites :(

We've done a ton of VR, but it's all pre-rendered from vray. We made some oculus scenes but the moment our clients find out they need a custom room and to convince a super wealthy 50 year old south american to strap on this tethered headset they completely loose interest. Our market needs light, and wireless.
We do a lot of account work where we handle 50 odd stills, animation, graphic design, branding, web sites & sales gallery, so pre rendered VR has become another part of the 'full package' that our clients are going for. fluffs up the budgets slightly but its not changing the world. Smaller scale jobs it's not taking off, the cost to produce is significantly higher than producing a few images that look 10x better.

Yeah it's mobile VR, tethered VR is still too awkward for that sort of thing.