Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foran
Apr 19, 2008

Garry's Mod is an Art
I'm kind of new to 3D software, but I'd say this is probably my best work so far.
I'm working on a Dreadnought from WH40k, and I'm still messing with the joints. The Weighting on them is a bit iffy but for now it's decent. There's definitely room for improvement on it, though.

I used C4D 10.5 in my advanced animation I/II class at school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foran
Apr 19, 2008

Garry's Mod is an Art
As someone who is semi-new to the Animation/Modeling software that currently exists, I realize that there are many to choose from. For the past two years, I've been using Maxon's Cinema 4d. While it is good for general modeling, there are few good tutorials or lessons for it. Many of them require plug-ins that cost money which I can't afford. I've been looking at 3dsMax and Maya, but those also carry an insane price. Can anyone recommend to me an alternative to C4D that doesn't cost me money I don't have?

Foran
Apr 19, 2008

Garry's Mod is an Art
I recently started getting back into moddelling/animation, but I'm having some really big problems with blender : I can't loving unwrap poo poo.
I've looked through all the tutorials I could find, but nearly every single one pertains to unwrapping a box or cylinder. Not very helpful.

I made this thing for a short space battle-type animation:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

But I'm not really quite sure how to unwrap it. Tips and or tricks from you guys would be appreciated!

Oh, and also all the detail parts are seperate from the main hull and are their own models for ease of future unwrapping and such

Foran
Apr 19, 2008

Garry's Mod is an Art

ceebee posted:

Looks like lots of Planar Mapping and Move and Sewing needs to be done. No idea what they call those two things in Blender. Also it's a good idea to UV one object that is repetitive and then just duplicate it so it retains the UVs, or transfer the UVs between identical objects if Blender has that.

From what I've read of the manual, blender can transfer UV's between identical objects, so that's good. I'm not so sure about "Move and Sewing" though, so I will look that up. Thanks!

Foran
Apr 19, 2008

Garry's Mod is an Art
Working on an Awesome Mech:

Right now I'm cleaning up some problem spots and adding details here and there.

E: For those who don't know, the mech is actually called the "Awesome"