Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hey folks, I've been lurking this forum for a while and thought I'd post.
It's been slow at work so I've decided to start doing speed models to get better at human anatomy and sculpting in general.
This is my really dodgy likeness of Dave Letterman done in 2 hours on a slow day. I just used one photo to see how I went from limited reference. Max for the base meshes and Zbrush for all the sculpting. Couldn't be bothered rendering it so this is straight outta zbrush.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's an awesome render TouchTone
I love the crispness and the light quality in there

Here's a character I started today for fun and practice. At the moment I'm getting into messing with proportions and charicaturing a little bit. Everything I draw or sculpt seems to end up stupidly oversized.
It's supposed to be a Troll of some sort I guess. Sorry about the darkness, I can't be stuffed rendering it out again.
MAX for the basemesh, Zbrush sculpt, ouput displacement maps and rendered in Max.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cheers mate
Yeah I forgot to put eyes in. It's rendered in vray with no skin shader used. Just a small amount of relection value and low gloss. It was actually rendered out monochrome and then I decided to slap a skin colouring over it in photoshop to see what it looked like. I probably won't work on it anymore as it was just a diversion for yesterday, I'm supposed to be working on my showreel :(

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's been some cool stauff posted in this thread since I last posted
The lighting and DOF in that image are really nice sinc

I'm sick of working as a generalist on crappy TV commercials and want to go in the modeling direction. Thus I'm doing a bunch of anatomy and character tests with MAX and Zbrush. This much took about half a day but would need a fair bit more work.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've only used boujou but found it relatively simple to get results from, depending on the quality of the footage of course. I think pftrack has most of the same features.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stocking posted:

Anybody know how i can get max to give me like a series of images of the outlines of the cross section of a model from bottom to top about 1cm apart?

I can't think of a way to do this automatically but you could put a volume select modifier on the object with the selection level set to vertex (or face probably) and then put a deletemesh on top of that. You can them move the vol. select gizmo along and delete all the mesh within it. Something like that anyway.

Fake Edit: You could also put an edit poly modifier on top of the deletemesh to clear the selection and then put a cap holes on top of that so you have a surface instead of an open hole.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 6, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The grass is really great Log
I've never even seen that Section shape before :downs:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Continuing my mission to improve my modeling and put together a showreel to get a modeling gig. This one is about 4 hours work at this point. Hands and feet have not been touched at all yet. Hair is just a visual aid at this point. I would hope that people could recognise the likeness although the proportions are not quite there yet.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the feedback people, very useful
Yeah It's supposed to be Iggy
The genitalia is noticeably lacking, maybe there's something Freudian going on in my head?
As for his general build, It really does seem to vary from picture to picture and from pose to pose. Mine is far from accurate but I will be aiming for something close to this

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The ZBrush interface feels really weird when you start using it, especially if you're familiar with most mainstream 3D apps. Mudbox is more 'maya-like' in it's UI as far as I know. That said, there is a reason why heaps of amazing artists use Zbrush, it is rewarding once you figure out the UI.

If you only want to do some displacement mapping maybe go with the UI that is more immediately useable to you.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

no jimmy its not posted:

How did you model all of that in 4 hours? That's incredibly fast modelling. Any tips?

Probably nothing that you haven't heard before

I have a super-basic, all quad, human base mesh that I made a while ago and sculpts well in Zbrush. I export it as an .obj and bring it into zbrush. The rest is basic sculpting workflow making use of Zbrush subdivision levels.

Establish proportions
Block out major masses
Block out muscle groups
Detail muscle groups

Having a knowledge of anatomy is essential, the better you get at learning how the body is put together, the quicker you can block everything in with confidence that it will look correct. I would say anatomy studies and observational skill to be more important than the technical issues if you plan to do organic modeling. Technical modeling is a dfferent story though.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've done some more work on the Iggy model.
The hands and feet are still relatively untouched so they look really weird.
I think the proportions are getting closer.

I'll post my standard base mesh tomorrow morning for anyone interested, time for bed.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
EOF, That's a nice eyeball, I have a standard eyeball that I used in my characters but it set up for vray so I might need to make a new one. I would suggest though that the falloff between the coloured part (I forget what it's called) and the pupil should be softer and the dark rim at the outer edge of the coloured part could maybe be a bit darker.

I've done some more work on the Iggy model
I'm not finished sculpting by a long way but I'm trying to learn mental ray so I brought it into MAX to have a go at lighting and setting up shaders in MR.
The hair is still a visual aid, he's going to have proper hair, not dreadlocks :)

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 10, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some more work on the Iggy model.
There's lots of stuff to fix on it, epspecially around the neck. Lots of details to add too.
The legs arent posed properly so I've hid them.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Starting to do some detail work on the torso and neck areas.
I think the wrinkles on the waist are way too regular now that I look at it.
Some photoshop screwing on this render just for fun

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I wouldn't bet on MAX updating the core of the program any time soon either.
People seem to have some hope that MAX will switch to a node based workflow instead of the stack system. Although it would probably be cool, I doubt it would ever happen.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah a node based material editor is the way to go.
You could try NodeJoe or shaderFX, unfortunately neither are free.
They are production tested and good to use.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That all looks great for sculpting
I would go through and get rid of the tris though, they won't subdivide very well and you will probably get pinching and stuff.
Are you going to export the clothing separately and use it as a subtool? (Assuming you're using ZBrush)

An update of the Iggy model
Still fairly rough in parts, hair is still a wreck but getting closer, it'll be done in MAX anyway.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

theta-ix posted:

As for the tris, I can get rid of some of them pretty easily, but others (like the ones on the side of the torso) I don't know how to get rid of without adding another edgeloop, which makes the quads in that area less square. What's the best way to handle that?

I would take the less square quads over tris. You can always smooth out or relax the area in the sculpting app before you get into really high subdivisions.

The tris on the shoulder blade area could be handled as in this lovely diagram.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

theta-ix posted:

Added hands and some baggy pants (he's a slovenly young person). At the moment they read like sweatpants to me--not sure if that's because of the way the groin/rear area is modelled, or because the cuffs at the bottom aren't defined yet. I guess I'll have to sort that out in mudbox.

Yeah, my advice would be not to spend too much time sweating over the forms in MAX if you're going to be taking it into a sculpting app. I'd add one more edgeloop in the bottom ring of the pants and call them done. In the sculpting app you could go with tight jeans, baggy rave pants, anything. Some really amazing artists use the most blocky, crude basemeshes you've ever seen. A lot of them actually like to start with a really blocky, formless mesh so it doesn't influence the creative process in ZBrush/Mudbox.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A guy I know is writing a short film, I'm doing a bit of concepting and modeling for him. I modeled this much tonight from a concept sketch by a crazy talented illustrator he found. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the concept so I won't :( He drew a cool costume for him as well so I'll do that too.

Base Mesh in MAX, sculpted in ZBrush

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 5, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cheers Guys

Sigma: I agree with you on the Iggy model, I doesn't read as wrinkly skin stretched over muscle yet. I'm not really experienced at modeling fine, tertiary details and I thought Iggy would be good to practice on. The hair I will try and do with hair&fur in MAX. I've done some tests and it looks barely acceptable. I'll comp it on after the texturing and everything,

The devil character, (on which I now notice the biceps are waaaay too long) was modeled from a reference sketch by an illustrator. I just have it sitting on my second monitor. I also referenced a few pictures of body builders.

Love the lighting you bring to the studio renders Log. So clean

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, your studio setups are really nice Log
How many samples do you have on the reflection glossiness for the various materials?
I can see a little grain here and there, I'm just looking for anything to nitpick though :)
Great job.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GFBeach posted:

This quarter at SCAD-Atlanta I'm working with a group of a dozen other people to make a short film about an injured stuntman and his really annoying cat. The working title is 'Jaguar McGuire'...

That looks pretty cool, I'll keep an eye on the blog

Also, how many cintiqs does your school have!?
I did one year at an animation type school in Melbourne and we sure as hell didn't have cintiqs for everybody. Your school rocks.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Be careful you don't get spoiled by the awesomness of 21" Cintiqs.
I've got one at home and now little intuos at work feels like crap.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GFBeach posted:

The blog for the SCAD film has been updated with an excerpt of the animatic and a description of our 2D/3D workflow. Apparently I've earned the honorable title of 'shader monkey' (with an equally retarded photo to match :blush:)... which is funny, because any one of you guys in this thread could school me on shaders ten times over.

A few screencaps of the toon shader I've assembled for the film have been posted. The one in the screencaps is pretty simple, but I've since tweaked it to make a layered texture that allows for any texture (color, reflectivity, etc) to stack on top of a ramp shader to control how much it recedes into shadow. It's technically a toon shader, but the art director wants a very smooth gradient between colors.

That looks pretty cool so far
I like the idea of having a character partly 2d and partly 3d, although people will probably want to kill whoever came up with that idea when the deadline looms.

Shader looks cool, really cartoony.
Just the other day I had to replicate a specific type of toon shader from some ad, I ended up rendering out 3 passes, one soft GI light, one AO and one VrayToon Effect and layering them up in comp.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd go to the maya forum on CGTalk

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's not a whole lot out there but you could look at Allan McKay's Stuff or Bobo's Stuff if you haven't already

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A self portrait I started a few weeks ago and had another look at tonight. It needs a fair bit of refinement but it does look like me so far :) If it gets good I might put it on the showreel, which I hope to have ready in a month or so.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like the proportions on that guy. What is the purpose of the character?
Also what do plan to sculpt on to him? Suit details, muscles?
He looks like he would be fun to animate.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

le capitan posted:

thanks for the crit. Heres the wireframe:

Click here for the full 1126x738 image.

have to texture it due tuesday. so far still working on the diffuse:

From that wire, it looks like you're modeling the whole fish as one piece. It seems like such a thing would be composed of separate overlapping plates so it could move. It would be much better to model it like that.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some of my first models were worse than that
I never went to school though :(

It looks like maybe you added too many polys to early.

Refer to this lovely diagram.
If I was going to model this, I would lay out the polys something like this to begin with. When smoothed it would obviously go all squishy so that's when you add edge loops and support edges to get nice creases and hard edges.
Different colours indicate separate geometry elements.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love the OZ concepts and environments Hinchu.
Also, my inability to draw or paint is my great shame, I need to learn because I think it would help my 3D, not because I really want to be an illustrator or a painter.

Another quickish concept sculpt for a short film I'm helping out on.
This one is for the main character, an old timey baseball player.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Agreed, it does look like Mr Incredible.
I'm working from someone else's concept art, and the writer/director pretty much wanted me to reference Mr Incredible. The proportions are more exaggerated though. I suppose if it's going to look like someone else's work, may as well be Pixar :)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A 2 hour speed sculpt practice. 30 mins in MAX, rest in ZBrush
I wanted to do something human but charicatured and warped in some way
This is what came out

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't mind doing a timelapse.
What kind of recording software would you use to do something like that?
Also my freeform sculpts always go through an embarrassingly bad looking stage while I'm looking for what works so I don't know how useful it would be.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This basemesh took about half an hour from sratch. Usually I will use a standard one I made a while ago but I want to really get loop and pole placement into my head so I thought I'd see how quick I could sketch one out in MAX this time. It's pretty fugly but the point is that it has loops and resolution in some of the right areas.

I've tried sculpting heads from a box but I prefer to have some kind of topology. You end up using fewer polys and it looks better. If you really don't know anything about topology, then going from a sphere and then retop'ing later can be a good learning experience because you get a new perspective on how the loops describe the muscles.

I figure if you're experienced in MAX/Maya/Whatever and can quickly acheive some kind of topology, you're helping yourself creatively in ZBrush. If you have no technical knowledge and just want to sculpt, worrying about topology is going to hinder you creatively. Having a standard basemesh for what you're trying to acheieve (often a humanoid bust) is the best of both worlds, althought you still have to heed it's topology a bit while sculpting.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's some awesome sculpting so far hazed
I look forward to seeing how it comes out

I've moved the character from a sculpt in ZBrush to a fully topologised model
This was a quick test to see how it would deform for morph targets.
The expression was mocked up in ZBrush and I haven't had time to refine it in MAX.
I'm learning Mental Ray at the moment so I had to try out some shader and lighting stuff.

Eyebrows are badly photoshopped on

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oddzy, that scene has heaps of potential for awesome lighting and textures.
Looks cool so far.

Sweet looking renders gangster.

Still on my quest to get better at modeling, make a showreel, get job as a modeler.
I'm trying another human likeness based on photos.
I've become massivley addicted to The Wire so I've deicded to model the
most badass character on the show, Omar.
I'm still searching for the likeness before I put in any details

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hinchu: Displacement maps don't always kill your render time. Like most things it depends on how you use them. If you don't have a lot of raytracing going on in the scene, displacement maps shouldn't increase the render time dramatically. Generally speaking, if you need to alter the silhouette use displacement, if not use normal/bump.

I've worked this into a bit more of a likeness. It's not prefect but at least it's getting better, he looks like Omar now anyway.
There's a few little knobbly bits here and there to get rid of
Doing accurate celebrity likenesses is hard :(