Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Yeah they are tiny and possibly not smoothed, as the vase and chairs aren't smoothed either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

How did you model all of that in 4 hours? That's incredibly fast modelling. Any tips?

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

Probably nothing that you haven't heard before

I have a super-basic, all quad, human base mesh that I made a while ago and sculpts well in Zbrush. I export it as an .obj and bring it into zbrush. The rest is basic sculpting workflow making use of Zbrush subdivision levels.

Establish proportions
Block out major masses
Block out muscle groups
Detail muscle groups

Having a knowledge of anatomy is essential, the better you get at learning how the body is put together, the quicker you can block everything in with confidence that it will look correct. I would say anatomy studies and observational skill to be more important than the technical issues if you plan to do organic modeling. Technical modeling is a dfferent story though.

Ahh I though this must be the case. Thats a good workflow to follow. I have a basic human but its ages old from when I was in second year university so I'm going to make a new one I think as my standard.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Rekka posted:

Yeah, I knew my topology was wrong, my main objective for my first try was to atleast get the shape right, and work from there. Thanks for the advice. I actually knew about those tutorials, shame I never look at them!! :( I think this looks a lot better now though, apart from the nose and mouth of course. Topology looks better generally, right?

Quick question: is that screen shot faceted for our benefit or do you model without smoothing?

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Rekka posted:

Working in Silo so model low poly and smooth after, subd modelling. But yes I was showing you it in the low poly form for the benefit of getting topology feedback.

I'm sure others will disagree but I'd think the best way to learn to model heads is to learn first without subd iterations.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Akaikami posted:

DOMINANCE WAR HAS BEGUN

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/rules/en.php

So! Who's entering this epic war with me?

Hmm I'm very tempted to at least give this a go. I'll post some concepts hopefully in the next few days.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

God drat, 2 hours? I really hate you.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Might be cool to have his mouth stretch open or slit open on the left side.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Looks nice but a little out of proportion. The grass looks way too big. Nice render though.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Guys how do you motivate yourself outside of work to do 3d stuff? I'm really struggling after doing it all day.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

That's hysterical.

brian encino man: This is my main problem too. I teach it though, so that helps. Students keep me interested by allowing me more versatility in the kind of 3d I get to work on.

A couple of suggestions:

Buy an eggtimer or set some kind of hourly alarm. This way you can force yourself to work x number of hours per day.
Write down what you get done daily and put a red x on the calender for that day. This way you train yourself to fill your days with work. It is hard though and some days you don't want to look at a computer when you get home . . . at least I don't . . . and then there are various timeholes like TV and internet etc etc.

Yeah my problem is games and tv and stuff.. Thanks for the advice though and everyone else too. I'll try to force myself to try out these ideas.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

From late 05, - it's about a year in. I'd just got into vray and this was the first 'proper' render I did with it

I still kind of like the lighting in this one :3:

Get out.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Heintje posted:

Here is some hot steamy flamethrower action for you.

That looks amazing, almost painted. It would make an awesome logo or title if you could somehow work some text in to it.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

OT in the 3d industry seems like a rare thing indeed :-(

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

tuna posted:

Let me know when you start recognising a pattern in this CGTalk challenge.

Yeah seriously. I told myself if I enter this competition I'm staying well away from that poo poo.

I had a quick idea that was sort of gouache paint colours, south of France scene with an inconspicuous old French man who sort of turns in to / folds in to a Citroen 2CV. I'm not sure if I'm crazy but I might draw up a concept.

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 14, 2009

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Wow I've actually been doing some personal 3d work for about the first time in a year. Finally sorting out that head I posted ages ago. I guess the next step after I tidy up the head a bit more and sort out the proportions finally is to the do body!

I'm sort of finding out mudbox as I go along but its a fun experience. He's going to be Magua from Last Of The Mohicans when he's done.

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 15, 2009

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Thanks guys, hopefully I can keep up the likeness..

ceebee posted:

How're you liking Mudbox? Once I learned the interface and hotkeys to ZBrush I picked it over Mudbox. With version 4 coming soon I'll probably stick with that, as it looks to have a shitload of good new features.

I'm loving it so far. I tried to use zbrush once but I'm terrible for tutorials so I sort of struggled with the interface like a fish in a net for a few minutes and gave up. Of course though that is hardly the right attitude so I think I'll make a definite go of it as Mudbox certainly seems to have less features.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

That's a prank right. How is this possible?!

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

If only speedtree or similar did coral and underwater growth!

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Unexpected EOF posted:

He was being sarcastic. Speedtree has done this for a few versions now.

Actually I wasn't Hinchu is the man, but this is good news!

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

My camera in mud box has gone all strange. Its gone slightly rotated right and when I rotate the camera back the model now looks up at a 45 degree angle. Like its rotating around a ball instead of a fixed position. I tried to reset the camera but no joy. Anyone know about this? If I rotate the model to bodge-fix it it messes up the symmetry.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

I took a break from Magua so I'm going to do this bot fly for a bit inbetween.

How would you guys go about making small hair/fur in mudbox? Just sculpt a general shape and then put over a template or custom brush?

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

Have a look at http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/cg_education.htm
Lots of good info on specific shaders there.

The new character I'm working on, spent about 5-6 hours so far.
I edited the basemesh from my anatomy study which I've posted in this thread earlier, and built it up from there. I'm going for a more realistic, less exaggerated human form. But with a fantasy (satanic) twist.

*edit* Rehosted on Waffle

Ah that's amazing mate really nice work.

Might be the angle or the horns but is his head a tiny bit too big?

Does anyone have any links to any (hopefully free) good reference images of men and woman taken from all around so I can do a proper study? Non-muscular averagy guys would be a plus!

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 12, 2009

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Sorry for this non-3d specific but what's the cheapest way to get one set of photos off 3d.sk, they only seem to offer retardedly long subscriptions.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Is there a way to sort of redistribute the mesh to make it more uniform in mudbox? I seem to have some stretching going on which is affecting any stamp tools I use.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

I like it but I think ceebee is still right. The eyes look too human. The nuts for eyes idea he had seems like a good one to me.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Who is up for a little competition. Well competition isn't really the right word as its more an incentive to do work over finding a winner; but we could do like a low, medium and holy poly challenge, maybe an environment or building, character, vehicle etc.

Low would be super low like 500 tris maximum and a combined texture space of 128 or 256. Medium would be game spec I guess normal maps allowed; high would be whatever your pc can handle!

Anyone interested? I was thinking first off we could make a 'military vehicle', be it a space plane, a steampunk laser gyrocopter or a WW2 sherman tank. What do you think?

edit: and we could make the render/beauty shot look like the cover of an Airfix box!

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 20, 2009

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

How long do you think each challenge should last. 2 weeks? 4?

Sigma think of this as community college art. If you can interpret the theme in a way you want then do!

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Ok how about this for the first challenge:

You have 4 weeks to make something on the theme of 'military machine'. This can be futuristic, alien, eco-warrior; it just needs to be ready for some kind of combat. Let's go for the middle ground right now so game spec, 10k triangles max, normal maps allowed, a combined texture resolution of 2048 and alpha, lighting maps etc.

It would be great if you posted some rough sketches and maybe a concept piece but remember this isn't CGsociety so we can all provide nice constructive crit and help each other along the way.

How about that?

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 21, 2009

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

Is andrew jones that guy who wears his tablet with a guitar strap and is pretentious as gently caress? haha.

I'm out of the challenge. I'm not really into the idea of working on military machines.
If round 2 is a building or hard object then i'm in.

Yeah we can mix it up a lot but sometimes its good to work outside of your comfort zone! I haven't really made any vehicles before so it will be a challenge.

Edit: You know guys it seems to be me pushing through the theme. Shall we actually all have a vote on what what we should be making first. What would you guys prefer to do?

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 21, 2009

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

I have a bit of a confession to make. I was going to start my military vehicle today and was looking around my work pc at old max files and stumbled upon this I completely forgot about :

Click here for the full 745x668 image.

So prescribing to the idea that its better to finish something than start new, I've been reworking this model. I'm going to make it game spec and then normal map it. Hopefully I'll do the character too as I had an idea long ago to make a series of vehicles and their drivers.

Here's the model so far anyway:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Anyone else had any ideas for what they want to make?

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

I like it, looks really moody and nice but I'd personally get rid of the sheet music from the stand on the piano so its all on the floor!

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

The walls and ceiling are amazing, but i'm not that into the piano. It's a little too black, and the oversharpening makes it look quite cg.

Room itself is an excellent base though, lighting is good too.

After 3 weeks of no work on my animation, spent an hour tidying it up and exporting it last night.
http://www.vimeo.com/5931600
The only thing changed is some colours, fog/dust layers in post and the train at the end.
Stripped down the edit, not bothered doing any breakdowns or fancy poo poo. It's loving done, and I can stop thinking about it now.

Looks really nice.

One niggling little thing. 21 seconds. Look at the tiles on the wall. They are the same tile! :v:

Also I'd possibly slow down the clock tick even more.

Really love the lighting on the stairs, looking great and I love the end.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

No one really seemed that interested but also I didn't really take charge of it. I will do if you like. I'm 1/4 of the way through a model for it which I intend to finish anyway so yeah I'm still up for it.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

The trouble with that concept is you can't really put in in your portfolio.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Looking awesome. I know its stylized but I'd personally move the ear towards the front of the face more. Depends if that's what you're going for of course.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Do any of you guys have much experience of working abroad in contractual work? I asked in the games thread but no one replied. I'll have two years experience in industry soon, 5 released titles, working on another. Obviously its all about the portfolio but I know they usually say "A good candidate will have _this much_ experience" etc. I'm always slowly working on my portfolio but would you guys say I'm viable to be employed from abroad or would you say wait another couple of years or its entirely dependant now on my portfolio or this sentence is going on way too long please use some punctuation?

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Thanks for the advise guys! I'd love to work in NZ but from what I can see there are very few games companies there and I don't have any experience working in film. Canada sounds great, especially Vancouver so hopefully I'll start applying in a couple of months when my folio is looking better.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Cool once again thanks for the info. I said 5 games experience but I have 1 currently (amazingly 4 are due to be released in the next 2 months!) so I don't really want to start applying until I can chuck work stuff in. Also gives me time to do a couple of personal study work pieces. I do have a decent grade 3 year degree so I guess that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Max A Million posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrde-Ow_8Jo

And here are some high res pics of the final version:

http://j.photos.cx/uglymofo1-5d6.jpg
http://j.photos.cx/uglymofo2-a99.jpg

Really nice but I think he'd benefit from more detail on your diffuse map. Like really draw those wrinkles in, don't just let the geometry do it for you. Also think if he would have like a red nose and cheeks like lots of people that look like that do because of drinking or whatever, really get in to the character and paint in those things that stand out.

Its ok guys I know I sound patronising but I know max so its ok :)