Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
So today I decided to try getting into zbrush, so I downloaded the trial and...

Uh, is the interface SUPPOSED to be this bad? I just want to do some displacement mapping. Would I be better off just using the mudbox trial? I only gave it a glance, but the interface seems less daunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

DefMech posted:

The answer to your first question is "Yes". The answer to your second question is also "Yes". Zbrush is an incredible and powerful program, but unfortunately they know nothing about good UI design. If you try out Mudbox and are happy with the results, don't even concern yourself with anything from Pixologic. I've learned Zbrush, I understood Zbrush, but I'll only use it if I have no other option. In my experience, getting a model into Zbrush and starting to sculpt takes many more un-obvious tool and menu selections compared to Mudbox which will get you on the ground and running in just a few moments. Zbrush is really a fantastic, powerful piece of software, but it's not something you just pick up and start using like Mudbox.

I hope this makes sense, but: Modo:Zbrush as Silo:Mudbox

Honestly,if I had the time, or if I knew I ever had a future in working with it, I'd use zbrush. Right now it seems that mudbox really does fit my needs better both from what's been said here and the fact that an actual workflow exists between it and 3dsmax.

I'm using 3dsmax 2008, does 2009 still have that issue where it's incompatible with Aero?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Elentor posted:

After some time without touching 3D I decided to do something I never took my time to do: Model an eye correctly. Yea, it's a bit simplistic, but it was fun :)

Now I might just have to go and model a face for that eye.

Where did you get your textures? I've been working on something that requires an eye and I'm at a loss.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

DefMech posted:

Yeah, by sculpting I mean something like Zbrush, Mudbox, 3DCoat, etc. You use it mostly for creating high-res version of your meshes for normal mapping and other things. If you look at a lot of the good work on Game Artisans and Polycount, some sort of sculpting program is being used.

Max and Maya both have their pluses and minuses, but most of that depends on your personal opinion and workflow. They're both great and you need to spend some time with both before figuring out which one suits you best.

This is very much the case. I'll swear my life to 3DSmax, but I know people who'll do the same with Maya. The fact is that once you get used to one and know how to use it, you'll have started picking up the jist of 3d work and will only have to get used to working in the other's interface to get used to it if it ever comes up.

I will say this, though. I don't if it's been updated since the 2008 version, but jesus christ 3DSmax has a terrible interface.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

DefMech posted:

The interface hasn't really changed in well over a decade. When you think about what's happened in interface design since then, it's really unforgivable that they've gone so long without an overhaul. I've heard a rumor, though...

The sad thing is that I MEANT to type "materials interface". I've gotten far too used to 3DSmax's interface to be bothered that much by anything but the materials interface. It's like a horrible mess of infinite nesting.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
gently caress 3DSMax. Has Maya's usability improved in the last 6 or 7 years?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

DefMech posted:

I'm don't know a whole hell of a lot(anything) about Gamebryo or Bethesda's modifications to it, but 2 and 3 should be fine. What you're doing in 3 is actually preferable sometimes for optimization.

Agreed, but I will say that you may run into some wonky mapping issues.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Okay, so I downloaded the Maya trial and after watching those little basic tutorial videos... Why the gently caress hasn't 3dsmax adopted some of this poo poo?

Onto my actual question though. A good while back I saw a raytracing renderer that would give you a realtime preview. Obviously not at full quality, but a blurry little mess that at least gave you a rough idea of position and lighting. If you let it sit it would gradually work toward the full render. Does anyone recall what this was called?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

sigma 6 posted:

I had to laugh at this one. It has taken me several years to bring Maya to my school and I am very happy I finally got the powers that be to get the autodesk "maya superpack".
:downsbravo:

It is really nice to be able to switch back between maya and max at will. I have just kind of accepted that a lot of things maya does better and some things max does better. Try to find a connect tool or autogrid in maya . . .
:argh:
Since they are never going to combine them we just have to make do. I am sure the XSI users are just as pissed now as the Maya users were back then . . .

Maya's IPR should do interactive raytracing as far as I know.

GFBeach: That project looks really cool. Good luck matching the 2d and 3d. Seems a bit daring for a student project.

The main reason I want the separate renderer is because it'll allow me to use it between 3ds and Maya since it was cross compatible.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

heeen posted:

Where can I get some free/public domain/creative commons models of humans for a hobby computer game project? Do any of you guys want to offer their models to showcase in a game, with credits, of course?

I vaguely recall turbosquid used to offer some free, really bland base models ages ago. I'm not sure if they still do, or if they're CC licensed, but it's a place to start.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

DefMech posted:

I'm not sure what they put in the water over there, but French animation students consistently produce some of the best school projects I've ever seen: http://www.yankeegal.com/

French animation has always kinda owned. I'm not surprised they produce great 3d stuff as well.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Okay, so it's official, I loving love Maya's interface, save for a few glitches (notably one involving undo that crashes it) and the fact that I'm still getting the hang of node based material editing. Since I don't want to poo poo up this thread with endless questions as I learn the trial, is there an active community I can go to to get some help with this? Most of it has been intuitive so far, but there's still issues with workflow I'd like to get around.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Don't even get me started. The lack of Max's workflow between any other apps is one of the things that's been turning me away from it. That does look a lot better than I was expecting from the earlier previews. It'd be interesting to see how it animates.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Rekka posted:

Hello everyone, I'm starting to model a head and i'm having trouble with a couple of 3 sides polys that I need to make a quad.

Click here for the full 563x755 image.

Those are the only two tris, I'm trying to keep it quad and I'm now stuck, I just can't see a way out. It's probably really simple :(

Edit: Figured it out 3 minutes later >:(!!!!

Click here for the full 478x624 image.

Is this the best way?

Edit 2: OK, I was on a roll and decided to add a bit more detail and hosed up and I can't remember how to get back to how it was, can anyone suggest a good topology for this polys?

Click here for the full 583x727 image.

Edit 3:

Ok I went back to it after 5 minutes and managed to fix it, how does the topology look, please crit stuff so I can fix it tomorrow, that'll be it for today. This is my first head btw. Working from photo reference.

Click here for the full 798x770 image.

To put it rather bluntly, this is some pretty bad topology. Sigma 6 is pointing you in the right direction with the Joan of Arc tutorial, but I'd like to also refer you to two of the posts made in the CGTalk thread that was linked earlier, since they have some detailed explanations of facial topology.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5416245&postcount=147
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5704816&postcount=191

Right now it looks like you're just throwing quads all over the place, which is very, very bad, topology wise.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Rekka posted:

Yeah, I knew my topology was wrong, my main objective for my first try was to atleast get the shape right, and work from there. Thanks for the advice. I actually knew about those tutorials, shame I never look at them!! :( I think this looks a lot better now though, apart from the nose and mouth of course. Topology looks better generally, right?

Considerably! Still a bit rough and generally sharp in some spots, but infinitely better than the ones from last night.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Hackuma posted:

Can anybody recommend me a good tutorial for fire in max? I need to make a torch.

With the default system in max, the only good fire tutorial I've ever seen was this:
http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=2988

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Hackuma posted:

Heh, I asked someone else and he told me something like: "Yes, I know of a lot of tutorials, but not any that are good"

Thanks, I'll check that one out.

Honestly? That was the last tutorial I used before moving on to FumeFX. It really is one of the better ones and you can apply it to a few more effects once you get the particle setup down.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

EoinCannon posted:

I love the OZ concepts and environments Hinchu.
Also, my inability to draw or paint is my great shame, I need to learn because I think it would help my 3D, not because I really want to be an illustrator or a painter.

Another quickish concept sculpt for a short film I'm helping out on.
This one is for the main character, an old timey baseball player.

Good god I love that.

^^^ I find that it's easier to work sculpting in 3D space than trying to represent 3D objects in 2D space as well. I think it just has to do with how you process environments.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Useless posted:

Finally had some time to get back into learning this stuff, and started pretty much doodling in Max yesterday. Combined with some work today, this is what I've come up with so far:

I realize it's dark as hell - still working on decent lighting.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

It feels oddly reminiscent of Tim Burton's first Batman movie, honestly.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Akaikami posted:

DOMINANCE WAR HAS BEGUN

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/rules/en.php

So! Who's entering this epic war with me?

Ugh, I have to use software from EARTH?

Lame.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
You know what? As dangerously under-qualified and as terrible as I am? I'm going to enter Dominance War. It looks like fun.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hello everyone.

I'm starting Animation at uni, and even though we don't get 3DCG until next year, I'd like to start poking around on my own.

I currently have a AMD2 5200+ with 2gb of RAM and an Integrated Radeon HD 3200 video card.

Is this going to be enough to start experimenting a little, or should I get a new video card ASAP? I was thinking about getting 2 more gb of ram and a 1gb Radeon HD4850 card, but if I can make do with the onboard one until next year, I can probably get a newer one for the same amount of money.

Honestly, if you're going to be doing any rendering you may want a new CPU as well. Even the previous generation of intel dual-cores beats that in benchmarks by a fair margin.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

International Log posted:

Max 2010 is out! Didn't i say it was gonna get a UI overhaul? huh? huh?

Inverting the colours and lowering contrast is an overhaul now?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

sigma 6 posted:

That's hysterical.

brian encino man: This is my main problem too. I teach it though, so that helps. Students keep me interested by allowing me more versatility in the kind of 3d I get to work on.

A couple of suggestions:

Buy an eggtimer or set some kind of hourly alarm. This way you can force yourself to work x number of hours per day.
Write down what you get done daily and put a red x on the calender for that day. This way you train yourself to fill your days with work. It is hard though and some days you don't want to look at a computer when you get home . . . at least I don't . . . and then there are various timeholes like TV and internet etc etc.

Handiklap: Looks like your grass displacement needs more divisions (density of grass) or maybe turn off the smoothing in the displacement settings (?) The DOF is nice and subtle.

When I think overhaul, I think "tear it all down, rebuild." Not THIS:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

DefMech posted:

I still haven't used it yet, but it just looks like they've integrated the ribbon like they did in AutoCAD and left everything else mostly the same. Which is still the most significant modification to the UI in over a decade.

I don't give a gently caress. Why the gently caress haven't they changed the goddamn material editor?

I'M ANGRY. ANGRY ABOUT APPLYING MATERIALS TO MY MODELS.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Odddzy posted:

I've found a use for it! it's good for 45 angle views when you want to make a view align during unwrapping.

... That's the only use I've found for it though...

That's why I just turn it off when I'm not using it.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Odddzy posted:

I was wondering if any of you know a good tutorial website or had a good idea of how I could go about making a smoke effect in 3DS max 2009 for a final project i'm planning to do for school.

The setting is during the second world war so there would be some craters and broken debris on the ground and the smoke should have this kind of effect :

Unfortunately we haven't seen particles a lot right now but we would like to try it out. It would bring a lot visually to the scene.

any ideas?

If you can get your hands on the FumeFX trial, I wholly recommend that. It's fairly easy to learn and produces some of the best smoke and fire I've seen in 3dsmax. You have to request a trial directly from them by email though, so I have no idea how soon they'd get back to you.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
I have one week to model and rig a 2 minute short in 3dsmax.

Jesus gently caress what the god.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Holy hell, mudbox is proving itself to be more and more of a godsend for my workflow these last couple of days. Things that would have taken me days to pull off are coming together in hours now.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

SynthOrange posted:

You'd better elaborate on that.

Well, for the longest time, even for simple models I was using straight up polys and smoothing groups to get anything done, even simpler stuff. Admittedly this is a terrible thing if you need to work fast or even if you don't. Mudbox flows really well into Maya though and it's a lot easier for me to sculpt things like folds in clothing when I don't really need to work out any complex motion detail with them.

Basically, I've gone from tedious "click. click. click. click. stab myself with a fork to stay awake. click. click" to "export to obj, draw some buttons, seams and whatever on, send it back to maya as a displacement map."

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah. My problem is I get way too easily distracted following wierd forms. It was supposed to be a female head for the CG Challenge. Instead... :ohdear:

Yeah, I get the same way. I was once sulpting a simple male face and ended up with a demon clown.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Hinchu posted:

brian encino man: Realistic underwater environments are probably not high in demand :) That would be nice though!

He was being sarcastic. Speedtree has done this for a few versions now.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

cubicle gangster posted:

I wouldnt say you need traditional art skills for photorealism - so long as what you're doing is mostly hard surfaces and derived from real-life it's mostly technical.

Basically dont ignore a potential goal because of something you dont have, theres no reason for you not to at least try getting really good at either of those. It might take longer, but you can still do it.

Pretty much this.

In fact, I've found that once you get a handle a couple of very simple things, you're pretty much set for 3d modeling. The first is visualizing things in 3d space. Once you get your head around that you are really close to getting well on your way to modeling. After that it's just a matter of realising how light illuminates and reflects off of things. For this I would actually recommend looking into film lighting books, since they can also tell you how to light a scene to direct the eye and bring out objects.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Heintje posted:

Yeah I'd really want to avoid max as much as possible. It'd be awesome if rayfire became available for other packages, because poo poo like moving the viewports too fast causing crashes is just... max. Ugh. Very cool that it runs on an Nvidia card, at a university I used to work at I saw a masters student demo a real-time particle system using GPU resources, we need more of that sort of stuff. And in the future I'll be moving assets between packages like yourself, in the past it was mainly autocad, max and illustrator for pre-production viz. Not very exciting stuff.

The only time I've had max crash on me since v6 was due to running out of memory.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Heintje posted:

You sir, are living in an alternate reality where everything is flipped backwards.

poo poo just works for me. I'm kinda like a faith healer for software.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

brian encino man posted:

How would you guys go about making small hair/fur in mudbox? Just sculpt a general shape and then put over a template or custom brush?

That's how I'd do it if I had to do it in mudbox, but generally I'd prefer taking it into maya or max and applying a fur shader.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

EoinCannon posted:

Have a look at http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/cg_education.htm
Lots of good info on specific shaders there.

The new character I'm working on, spent about 5-6 hours so far.
I edited the basemesh from my anatomy study which I've posted in this thread earlier, and built it up from there. I'm going for a more realistic, less exaggerated human form. But with a fantasy (satanic) twist.

Waffleimages is back, want to rehost so we can see?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

ACanofPepsi posted:

That's great, what did you use to do it? I love the "liquidy" look. like it's weightless.

New proof of concept today, tearing up concrete in front of my place. Still a work in progress.

http://vimeo.com/5587977

It seems to lack mass and the amount of momentum you'd get from it. It's also shattering like concrete rather than pavement.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
I may be working on a big project I'll be asking for feedback on. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
I have to design a semi-large crowd of people (see: 20-30, about half that being in enough detail to see clearly) and I was wondering if there was a cheap and easy way to have a semi distinct crowd. Time is a serious factor here.