Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I have two simple scenes I set up in blender for work that I'm struggling to get to look better/more realistic.

Basically I have a barbecue on a photo cyc background with a HDR and some area lights lighting the scene. The BBQs are made of stainless steel. They're triangulated SketchUp models, but I'm not doing huge closeups with them.

Any advice on product rendering? I was thinking of getting a quote for someone freelance to help me out with it since I'm failing hard with it but I have idea where to look for people these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I'm a motion designer, but I'm a bit stumped on ways to go right now. Most designers worth their salt know 3D and I'm finding it a bit daunting.

For background, I have used Cinema 4D (particularly the lite version) for a while but no external render engines and nothing complex. Mostly just 3d text and simple animations. In the background, I started learning a bit of blender and was surprised what you get for free. Fluids seem a bit buggy though.

The angles I have been considering are:

C4d and octane (paid)
C4d and redshift (paid)
Blender (free)
Blender and octane (free)

(I hear octane is free for blender, you can only use one GPU which is fine for me)

I'm sure using Blender will lock me out of studio work (at least the bigger ones). Blender is good, but I have to keep notes of all the shortcuts, how to use nodes and stuff. Cinema4d, I never forget the workflow.

Anyone made the jump to Blender from another app? Just curious if it's actually sensible to do so. I'm sure in the end the client doesn't care what you use but given the amount of time you have to put into learning it I'd love to hear people's opinions.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Great advice guys on Blender vs C4d guys, thanks heaps! GSG plus is not something I'd even though about, nor had I considered Arnold. Octane was at the top of the list because people said it was often the fastest which might be best for me given short deadlines.

BonoMan posted:

Also do you have a reel or anything? And where are you located? We’re looking for a 3D/2D person!

I'm not sure that I'm what you'll be looking for, but I'm in Australia and my reel is at https://www.ryanbarlin.com/motion

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does anyone know if there's a good sculpting app for Android? I'm not expecting much from it, basically I just want the 3D equivalent of a sketch app - I've started to properly explore sculpting in Blender and I've taken to it like a fish to water, so when I go to see the parents over Christmas I'd like to keep that momentum going.

Give Nomad sculpt a go. The trial only allows one undo state, but it looks pretty handy. I had a fool around with it a while ago.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

I thought maxon was part of Adobe already.
The newest versions of AE also install a full standalone version of cinema 4d that pushes you to add it to your Adobe account as an optional extra.

Nah, C4d in AE is just a lite version, not the full thing.
It works, but for the most part you're better off using the full version or Blender.

One time I had a C4d lite render that took 2-3 days when I rendered through media encoder. It was only a simple scene too, so it's not optimised real well. I'd rather be using a GPU renderer anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

A standalone copy of cinema4d appeared in my start menu, it brought the full package with it. I haven't used it because I'm not registered but it seems like it's potentially the full install.

You are correct, I just booted my AE 2022 up. If you have a C4d license, it's the full thing. For 14 days you get to trial the full thing, then it reverts back to C4d lite if you don't.

Mostly, I'm excited that I can use all my cores in AE without having to rely on bgrendermax with AE 2022.