Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Hey Guys!

I'm pretty new to 3dsmax, and i'm focusing on modelling a decent looking body and getting the general shape right.

Here's my first one, though still has no feet or head. I would appreciate any criticism you have to offer. Cheers!

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Rekka posted:

Thanks!

Honestly, I don't want to be limited to just anime style, and when I eventually go back to the UK this style won't really serve me too well, so I'm definitely on the learn anatomy and get the basic form the human body down train. I also didn't mean to suggest that that model previously was a bad model, it was extremely well made. However, in Japan, the one thing I do know is what they look for in portfolios here, and unless your making your own characters, theres not a lot of creative freedom in the style of model. Especially Westernisation of anime characters. That's why I've been trying to broaden my portfolio with not just Gundam, but also anime characters. That way they know I can follow instructions, i can create things the way people want them and I know the software.

Thats what I'm trying to get across in my portfolio...

As it stands, this is all I have in my portfolio right now:

https://dominic-stewart.squarespace.com

Its not much, and a lot of the models outside of the robots are pretty old, and I've been told by people in the Japanese companies I want to apply for, if I was to have a street fighter / anime fighting style character, and a more "Japanese realistic" style character in the style of Tekken, etc I would have a good chance of getting the jobs I want in Japan.

Outside of Japan though, and even in Japan, anatomy study will be a great benefit so thats while I'll take your advice to heart and get started on it.

On that topic, I noticed Digital Tutors have a good human anatomy in Zbrush tutorial, anybody tried that tutorial? Was it good?

Little late, but Loomis is a great resource for learning anatomy. I started reading his material a few months ago and my figure drawing has improved astronomically (or at least i think so), and all his works are available for free on the internet. Here's the most relative to your plight: https://archive.org/details/loomis_FIGURE_draw

I've started trying to wrap my head around 3dsmax again, and after looking at an old model vs the one below, i can see a lot of improvements in anatomy. Though I'm still a little unsure as to where i should put polys (in relation to joints and deforming, as i'd like to animate it eventually). It probably needs some feet.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I'd just recommend blocking out forms and learning the general flow of muscle and anatomy while modeling, then slowly defining in stages. The foundation is super important. Zbrush (from what I've heard) is often usedfor adding finer details to models made in programs like 3damax or maya, though with a good enough knowledge of anatomy I can see people slipping that process. Good luck sir.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I had the same problem studying the books (even with two screens) until i printed them out and bound them. Think twice before doing this, 200 pages takes a long time to get into plastic slips.

Managed to decently rig a model, and get a better grasp on rigging and animation. Now i gotta try put some armour on the sucker.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I'm not a great modeler by any stretch but try and keep deformation in mind while modelling. Put more polys around joints that will have to stretch a lot, and when you rig do a comprehensive movement animation to find all the spots that gently caress up and fix them as you go. That's a far as I've gone but it seemed a lot of tutorials stressed the same points.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I've been looking for a tutorial on this, but I can't seem to find any specifics. Can someone tell me how to use constraints in the cloth modifier for 3ds? I'm trying to constrain some pants to a waist so I can simulate the cloth without them falling off.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

EoinCannon posted:

Haven't done cloth in ages but the workflow is that you make a vert selection, assign it a group and then put a constraint on that group like a surface or node constraint.

Edit: All good! Figured that part out, and now there's a new problem. :bang:

When i hit simulate local after joining the cloth to the waist of my guy, it just dissappears completely. I've definitely got the guy set to collision object. Strangely enough if i do the same thing to his pants, they work fine, but if i try to simulate the cloth and the pants together, they both dissapear. Any ideas?

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 15, 2014

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Starting to wrap my head around UV unwrapping.
I've applied a turbosmooth modifier and cut off half, and just realized that unwrapping literally means laying it flat. Wondering where the best places for seams on the body are and if i have to run them down the entirety of every appendage for it unwrap properly?

Edit: It seems i do.

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 18, 2014

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Cyne posted:

I would suggest investing in one of these packages to make dealing with UVs less of a hassle:

http://www.uvlayout.com
http://www.polygonal-design.fr/e_unfold/index.php

Among many other conveniences, it's much easier to see where you're placing your seams in dedicated UV unwrapping software.

Will definitely keep those in mind, but at the moment it's beyond my budget. Will just have to learn in 3ds for now.

Edit. Managed to get a decent uv map done, after I realized that using turbo smooth was just part of the tutorial I was reading. Setting up a low poly one is a bit easier. Now I've exported the uv map to photoshop but the quality of the lines around the mesh is pretty awful, and after using the magic wand tool to select them and test some textures, I get these little obvious dots. Should I knock up the render size or is some other setting I'm unaware of?

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 19, 2014

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Hypothetical question. If i texture a model and start rigging, and the rig deforms badly because of amateur polygon flow, etc. Is it easy to go back and change the model or is a case of re-doing the UV map?

Here's what i'm at so far.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Finally got Zbrush and have been doing my best to get the anatomy nice enough for a normal map. Using a Intuos Pro and finding the process fairly intuitive. Doing this in 3d with the option to put in so much detail really makes it obvious how much i have to learn about anatomy.

Also how to scale? The fingers were too small on the imported model and trying to lengthen the fingers with the brush tool just makes them wig out really bad.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Faces are super fun. Hoping that learning the 3d forms of a face intimately will improve my drawing AND my sculpting.

Can anyone tell me what to look for? I think it's coming together but still isn't right.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Few tutorials later and i think the face is reading a lot better. Also, thank god for the pinch tool.
So much effort wasted getting small valleys with the clay tool. :negative:

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I have no what this is about, but i can't seem to fix it.
I think that i've got two separate materials applied to the mesh, but i can't figure out to get rid of the red one.
Maybe i switched to 'M' during modelling accidentally. I managed to undo the first time but i'm a bit hazy on how. Any ideas?

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

He's gonna want to have the M selected instead, because he has two materials applied.

Also! If you want to clear the material so it changes to whatever material you have selected automatically, you're gonna want to fill it with the Flat Color material.

Thanks for this! Worked a charm.

Fairly happy with the body and face now, starting to work on clothes.
This part reminded me that i've barely got a concept beyond 'muscled dude with a fauxhawk with some sort of something'.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I'm having trouble finding a tutorial on a particular issue, wondering if anyone can help:

I have my model in zbrush, and i want to reduce the polygon count around the body but maintain it in the face, so i can do retopo etc and export it at a reasonable poly count.

Any ideas?

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

ceebee posted:

Decimation Master?

Sorry i think i worded that wrong. I thought that decimation was what was used to get a low poly mesh of quads, instead of being a triangulated optimized mesh you used for retopology. My bad

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Just spent an hour trying to figure why i couldn't line up all the polys on a hand, and eventuallyall the poo poo came down to one irregularity at the base of the finger. gently caress retopo.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I know i asked for advice on this previously, but there seems to be a lot of underlying things to do when it comes to normal mapping.

I'm using the retopo'd mesh from 3dsmax and unwrapping it in zbrush. Then i'm using it and the original high poly in Xnormal to get my maps.

But when i apply the maps with bump map, with flip green and tangent selected, i get this...

instead of what i was hoping for...

:saddowns:

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 24, 2014

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Where does that take place exactly? Also do i need a texture applied to flip vertically?

SynthOrange posted:

You also need to flip v when going from ZB to Max.

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 24, 2014

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Huzzah. I've finally managed to put my normal map on my low poly without seams. That took way too long.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Hey guys.

I'm using wrapit to retopo in 3dsmax, and everytime i assign the high poly mesh as the surface all the vertices on it display.

I can't find a way to turn them off, and it's making seeing the mesh i lay over it almost impossible.

I'm sure there's a simple fix, but can anyone help me out with this?

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Edit: dw.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I think i remember something being discussed a while ago in this thread, about a thunderdome-esque SA comp for 3d modelling?

Are there any plans to start this sort of casual constructive/soul destroying critique thread at the moment, or would anyone be interested in taking part?

I think it'd be a great way to practice using various subject matter and working within constraints/deadlines, etc.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Speaking of sculpting. I don't get feet.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

PAnick posted:

Christmas holidays finally gave me time to doodle a little in Zbrush + Marvelous Designer. Will probably never sculpt clothes from scratch in ZB ever again thanks to MD.

That's an awesome looking alien. What polycount are you detailing at in Zbrush?

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking a fortnighly comp, nothing too serious.

Get the subject and a poly limit, and try to keep it varied so most people (including me) get to learn something new.

Prompts could go..

quote:

'It's 2268, futuristic buildings fill the horizon. All your favourite car brands have leapt into the future, and their newest models zoom through the sky lanes, shining silver and blue.

Meanwhile... You're at your garage on the measly 28th floor of the Budget sky-apartment complex, banging your head against the shitbox 2190 model your dad left you.

Create a futuristic (but banged up) model based on a particular brand and make of car.
Model must include the brands logo, and have some resemblance to the source material.

Max polys 2000, minimum 100.

Bonus points: Dashboard bobble heads'

Something like that?

Edit: Does anyone want to judge?

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 4, 2015

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
It was really just an example!

I was actually looking for feedback there..

Edit:

Also, should we do it in this thread or make another?

If anyone has ideas send me a PM

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 4, 2015

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Amended.

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 5, 2015

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
It was a joke, and them someone took it seriously. Poly limit was arbitrary. If you'd prefer something else (or at all), post some ideas.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Ok then. Same poo poo, due in by the 18th. No poly limit. gogogo.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Just a week until that deadline. Time to pull my finger out.

For content, trying to rough out a posed exaggerated body without using any reference. Pretty stupidly didn't put in z sphere fingers so its move and dynamesh all the way.

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 10, 2015

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Monster sculpt thingy. First time i've really done one and i'm having trouble with too much or too little.

Any critique is appreciated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Now he has less fingers and more face.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Baking maps is a whole new world of i don't know what the gently caress i'm doing.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I don't if anyone can tell me, when do you decide when the work you put out could be worth other peoples money?

I've only made a few things i'm happy with and think looked good but they took a fuckload of time to do.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'd say you're ready to make money if you put your stuff on the internet and let everyone give their brutally frank and honest opinion of it.

If the majority of people say it's good, then you're ready.

Well i've got ages then.

Trying to 'block out' elements for a character design in 3d. Does anyone have tips for making something more with less?

I want the clothing to be understated but interesting / tribal at the same time. God it looks like a runescape character right now. Which i don't mind tbh. I like their art style.

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 10, 2015

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Maybe the clothing is barebones but they have badass tattoos?

This is a promo shot for the new Aquaman. He has similar covering to your guy, not much at all, but then it is filled in with patterns.

I did a quick and dirty and it helped a lot. Cheers!

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

I redid the face and re-detailed the body. Now i'd like to do the clothes again.

It turns out that 3dsmax has a default cap on the resolution that maps will display as, so i was agonizing over why it looked so poo poo, which kind of helped me to learn how to use cages in the quest for a good bake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Hey guys.

I'm working on a low-ish poly robot character, and i'm struggling with finding shapes that are attractive as a silhouette and generally seem pleasing together.

Is there any particular rules or design tips that i can use to help it along?

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 30, 2015