Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I've been spending my quarantine days trying to learn more 3D poo poo. Here is my first attempt at baking normals from a high poly model to a low(er) poly model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRk2Mx6O8nM

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Those look fantastic honestly

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Modeling, rigging and starting to fool around with compositing:

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 18, 2020

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Worked a bit more on the mouth rig and added some muppetish hair.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Grease Pencil is freakin' amazing.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Ugh it’s so great to me, I’m trying to master it because if you’re a 2D animator it unlocks huge doors for production... go look at what Ian Worthington has been doing with it (Worthikids)

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

bones 4 beginners posted:

So I'm trying to learn a bit about blender/3D stuff, and for a trial run I went and sculpted something. I tried to paint it but it was awful and someone advised me to redo the topology and I've started on that. But now I realize I have all these extra edges/vertices in random places, and that they don't all connect with each other, leaving gaps in the mesh. What's the best way to fix that? I've only done the donut tutorial before this so sorry if there's some super obvious fix. Here's a screencap to illustrate what I mean:

What gearman said. Also for your own sanity, do some simple retopology tutorials. I’ve been banging my head against the wall trying to learn how to do it correctly and it’s full of annoying places to screw up that are hard to unscrew later.

ALTERNATIVELY, if you just want to paint your mesh, you can do vertex paint instead of texture paint and for that you don’t need to UV unwrap, and it works OK even on a fairly dense mesh.

ALSO 2.9 beta is out and supports multires.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Use the Boolean modifier, then you can use any mesh to cut into another mesh non-destructively

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I am filled with confusing emotions

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Gorgeous! What softwares?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Blender Reddit is full of memes about the default cube.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Gorgeous, gorgeous work.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgqtHFuX60

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

KinkyJohn posted:

Is Blender + Octane + Houdini + Zbrush a good combo for game dev and a bit of everything?

I'm hearing that blender really stepped up their game from being kinda crappy to being a seriously capable piece of software

Blender is life

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Can you post your shader nodes? You will get probably 90% of what you want by learning Principled BDSF really well. Lower the Roughness to make things glossy, increase the Metallic, etc.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Jenny Agutter posted:

the whole thread was deleted, what was the gist
The guy's just a bit of an edgelord and a clueless white dude saying insensitive racist/homophobic crap.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

There’s a new real-time line effect in the Blender long term development pipeline (a look up LANPR). For the effect you have, at least in Blender you can apply a bevel modifier with inverted normals and then a texture for the modifier to use. Cheaper than doubling the mesh, and you can adjust line thickness with a slider.

For better effects (like multiple light sources), these tutorials are great:

https://youtu.be/hp4V-9oFmnM

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

EoinCannon posted:

I have an old cintiq 21" from when they were 4:3. It must be more than 10 years old
10 years old and still chugging along, I like it
Same

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I love them.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Can’t you put multiple bones in the armature, one for each wheel? Then parent the model. Or do I not understand what you’re saying

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

no one knows who they were or what they were doing

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

crossposting this from the YOSPOS blender thread:

I made a film.
https://vimeo.com/579458197

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Thank you! Yes I am the voice of the elephant.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Do you know about Duplicate Linked?

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 16, 2022

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

It's not idea but it seems to work, to make one armature with X number of bones, Duplicate Linked the underlying mesh X times, and then parent each linked duplicate to one bone of the single armature.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Ahh, I see what you mean -- I didn't understand about the multi-segment structure for each of the limbs.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I think unfortunately your best bet is to keep a copy of your master mesh at world origin and regenerate the array when you change it—but instead of making modular armature segments, make the entire armature for all the segments at once. Then if you need to regenerate the mesh you can parent it to the armature quickly even if you’ve already started posing.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Jenny Agutter posted:

welcome, friend

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

FWIW there’s some demand in the developer community to overhaul and improve the NLA because it’s really powerful but opaque.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Listerine posted:

Hey does Blender have an easy to implement option to have an animated camera always look at an object, and if so what would it be called?

You can apply a Track To constraint to the camera

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL sharks!!!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Yeah I’d do a multires, then bake the details to normal map

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Yes, there is AddRoutes which gives full MIDI/OSC support.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Elukka posted:

The elites don't want you to know this but the different versions of Blender are free you can download them I have 458 versions of Blender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

That is a loving impressive rate of creative employment for a graduation class dude