Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hinchu posted:

I'm blending a lot of the books together into my own amalgamation. TikTok makes his first appearance in Ozma of Oz. Return to Oz was the movie by... Disney I think. It combined the second and third Oz books, The Land of Oz & Ozma of Oz. There were 14 books originally written by L Frank Baum, while a whole hell of a lot more by other authors.

I'm primarily taking scenes from Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz, but the main characters I'm using aren't actually even in that book.

I read all the books as a kid, that's why I'm kind of in to them. The original illustrations are great, and the lands, characters, and situations are all really quirky and inventive. Plus a lot of it has a darker twist to it, that has a happy smiley face on it which appeals to me.

Sweet I never knew that! I just remember Tik Tok from the Disney film and the Pumpkin guy. What a strange little movie. Loved it though.

http://www.waltdisneysreturntooz.com/Set_Tik.htm

There's a lovely page with the genesis of Tik Tok on it that shows what has to be one of the most uncomfortable costumes ever in film. Holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Akaikami posted:

Update on my Demon Prince ZBrush sculpt:

http://www.curtisbinder.com/xagerus_sculpt1.png

Head and everything below the elbows and knees are WIP. Starting to become satisfied with the torso. Made the chest a little more realistic but still ridiculously ripped.

Looks good, but the torso still looks just a tad too long. And I know he's a demon prince, but it's not quite exaggerated enough to be taken as so, and just looks like it's slightly out of proportion.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
They took the goddamned view cube thing and put it in there? That is the most worthless piece of poo poo "innovation" ever.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EoinCannon posted:

Heintje, those are some cool demo scenes
I've had a look at houdini and.... whoosh, straight over my head.
I can only just work out simple PFlows in MAX :)
As I'm trying to be a modeler, I assume I won't have to use it too much, but it's cool seing what it can do.

An anatomy study
4-5 hours spent so far

This is really good except everything from the waist down, while in proportion to itself, actually looks slightly too small in proportion to the rest of the body. Other than that it looks great.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kholdstayr posted:

I've been playing around with Blender 3D over the weekend and I am working on this image:

The glass of OJ is kind of hosed up towards the bottom. I am a 3D Newbie though so I am pretty happy with this image. I haven't done much with Blender before other than making a few simple chess pieces and experimenting with some of the features.

The glass is WAY WAY too thick. That's what is causing the odd refraction. Also the bowl and spoon quality seem poor compared to everything else, and the milk comes off as some sort of torn paper thing (around the spoon). But it's gettin' there! The milk and cereal in the bowl look nice.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Handiklap posted:

Did this one today. There's about 32 unique stone meshes, randomized mats. Mortar was with a relaxed blobmesh of all the stones, offset away from the facing. Everything else is pretty straightforward.

Click here for the full 1500x800 image.

edit: yeah yeah not enough bounce whatever :P

wow blob meshing of the stones to create mortar? 32 unique stones? That seems just a tad overboard. There has to be more efficient ways to do that. Displacement, for one.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EoinCannon posted:

I'm with you Handiklap
Sometimes you just have to overmodel something
If you always take the most strictly efficient route you'll go insane.

Trying stupid things is what the game is all about.

Ok the unique stones I can definitely understand. Sometimes you DO have to go overboard on that. But blobby surfaces for the mortar? What exactly does that accomplish? It offers zero benefit as far as I can see.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Handiklap posted:

It accomplishes getting the mortar to rise in relief as it nears each stone, despite the relative orientation or translations of the stones. If you've got a better way to do that, I'd love to hear it, seriously. Man that sounds so snarky, but I'm being earnest, please make this quicker than blobmeshing 1 million polys because I applied it to my full res meshes instead of a less dense clone since planning isn't my strong suit run on sentence.

Okay I see what you're saying. However you have to ask yourself, is it noticeable? I can't really see it rising in relief near the stone's edges at all. It looks like a sligggghttly deformed plane with a soft bump on it. So you have to ask yourself "If I'm not getting close up on this..is it worth the effort to accomplish an effect that isn't noticeable from the distance I'm rendering at."

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I mean there's nothing inherently wrong with what you did, and if you get close up on it then it could be a nice effect. But just judging from the distance of that render, the same effect could be gotten more efficiently with a slightly deformed plane with a soft bump.

Can you get a render right up on the stones so I can see it better?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

dreggory posted:

Aghh. I've been getting that on and off all day. Thought they had fixed it. Apparantly not. Weeeee.

One moment...

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc230/mattdb9/sunsetroomwip.jpg

It's not too bad lighting wise. Obviously there are issues with the table and stuff...it doesn't match the overall 'quality' of the render.

First and foremost tone down that burn from the sun on the wall (just above the table). Also that bright rear end white door takes your eye away from everything else. There are also some scale issues going on. With the door handle and the table and books/bookshelf.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

Wheeeee!

Had a couple of hours spare at the end of today so I did a render to fit my music. 'schtick' is the name I go by for it, it's all dark n' poo poo.

Nice render, but gently caress reduce that kerning :D. It's way too much.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

Cad_Monkey2 - it's coming along a lot better now, but everything still seems slightly disjointed. I'd get some subtle dirt/ao in there, and it might be worth seeing how it looks with camera correction on.

Here's a few days work - bit quiet in the office so i'm working on some portfolio things. I didnt do the bar though, that was taken from someone elses old scene.

Great atmosphere, but holy crap the scale of the bar stools with the person seems really off. Unless those are wingback sized stools...which would be awesome!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

hah, they are.
They look hosed up, just because it's not exactly a common sight. Thats actually how big they are though, it's weird.

I might just swap them out because it makes the scale of my scene look wrong.

That's awesome and if they're based on a real product I need to get some stat.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh man I've got a Maya 1.0 Mosquito laying around somewhere. I remember justifying the lighting as trying to be dark and "realistic" when I really couldn't figure out how to get the poo poo brighter (this was my very first 3D class).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not to mention that video has been around for a longgg time and I haven't seen anything come of it yet.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SynthOrange posted:

I got a bit depressed because this guy did this with no 3D software at all

Well I'm fairly sure he used 3D layers in AE soooooo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kirby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34PEAK-kE1g
there's almost too much effort gone into it to be a joke

I like how the girl is KG...Jack Black's partners name. Ha.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A5H posted:

Teaser 2 absolutely blew me away. Awesome.

They are very very nice, but the loving constantly shifting focus got old real fast.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My Quadro is currently causing major issues in Photoshop, Maya, After Effects, and loving anything else. My god I'm fairly sure it's making GBS threads the bed, but it's killing me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BigKOfJustice posted:

Have you tried running certified drivers? You may have to roll back to an older version to get proper support.

I remembered at one job where there was windows machines and we had to use a specific version of an OS and a specific video card driver version in order to have proper support for a package.

Actually same deal in Linux as well.

Yeah I've tried roughly 5,000 different drivers. Certified, uncertified, everything autodesk has said, everything my mama said. I'm fairly sure the card is just dying.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Fur techniques. Besides something like Maya Fur, what techniques do ya'll use for large areas of hair?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BigKOfJustice posted:

Define large areas of hair.

#1 flaw I see with folks new to fur is they try to do everything with one big super guide/guide group and one big fur patch.

Break up your fur into groups, upper arm, lower arm, neck, skull cap, back of head, however many it takes.

Have one short fur base fur layer covering everything to get rid of exposed surfaces you may see between the hairs.

Brake up guide work into guides to super guides using corresponding groups. You'll have split groups where you have changes in how hair is group, eg. if you have a long haired character where the hair needs to part a certain way.

Sometimes you can bind guides to geometry/lattices/cloth sims to get better results and eliminating inter hair penetration issues.

Thanks for all the info! It's an animal like a deer. We have Maya Complete, but were looking into Shave and a Haircut instead of upping to Maya Unlimited for budgetary reasons.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well CG Talk is a barren wasteland of just poo poo nowadays so..I have a quick tech problem. I have a project I created in Maya 2008 and now imported it into 2010. A fairly simple object that uses a targa for a reflection map. Simple "black off/white on." Works fine in 2008, but in 2010, no matter what file format I use (tiff/targa/jpeg) it won't map the reflection. It's just all reflective.

It's outAlpha -> reflectivity. Has this changed?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

keyframe posted:

Cgtalk is a barren wasteland..? what?

To answer your question, no it didn't change afaik. I have used tiff for reflection maps fine in 2010 and 2011. Is it maybe breaking the connection when you import somehow? Did you try recreating the shading network in maya 2010?

Yeah I guess a lovely wasteland was better wording. It's not barren.

Anyway yeah I tried recreating the shading network multiple multiple times. Nothing. :( Guh.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

keyframe posted:

I am having a love affair with Octane Renderer.

Just did a quick character\scene mockup before I go ahead and actually model\rig it properly to see if it works. :3:

Excellent color and composition.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

I nearly spat my drink out when this first came on tv. Who the gently caress let a furry get a job in advertising.

In other news... I finished my showreel!
My aim was 'in time for summer', and seeing as june starts tomorrow I think i've done it. I've had to use a lot more older work than I wanted to - When my boss saw the original version he veto'd a ton of my best poo poo because a lot didnt have planning.
The station was 12 months ago, everything else at least 18. :(

Anyway here it is:

http://vimeo.com/12176256
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY-bQ97s4Hc

Sweet. Couple of small critiques. The truck/dust piece is really weak compared to everything else. I'd drop it. Also the style of the opening title is very nice, but is awkward and slow for the end credit piece.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Veretas posted:

Hey 3D thread, I just finished my run at Full Sail(I swear it isn't as terrible as most people say, but it's no CalArts) and I finished my demo reel. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. http://vimeo.com/12864490

I'm more than likely going to get rid of the walk cycle on there.

Yeah I'd ditch the walk cycle. It's fine, but it's the only piece that is out of place and really your other character animation is good enough that you don't need to show a walk cycle. That's kind of implied.

Other than that nice work. Short and to the point. Also I would get rid of that video game style theme. It's irrelevant to the work and is kind of distracting.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Travakian posted:

Welp, here goes. Would appreciate if you guys could not quote the url, going to edit out in about a day's time (after ample feedback garnered); kinda e-paranoid, likely without just cause.

As said, not much of a 3d guy; the only real 3d bits there are the poker chip/card/dice piece and the polaroid one; rest is 2.5d. If you look on the 'more' column to the right side, my latest one there is my most recent trip into 3d, playing around learning Cinema4D.

As for reel -- in the middle there's a rain part, I'm working on a much larger extension of that. A long-term WIP, but will be edited in to next version (along with aforementioned C4D piece).

Pretty good work. The odd thing is that it doesn't have quite the zip/pop in the timing that most motion graphics have, but that's not bad. The only reason I mention that is that using a big band style tune kind of jars with the smoother slower animation. So, in short, maybe find a different audio track?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Furious George posted:

Sorry about that, it took too long and has too much content to make it free. I'll be lucky to break even on it given the hours put into it tbh, but it's something a lot of people have asked for. There's some other free ones on Ten24 if you're interested in character modelling at all though.

Yeah at first I was like "what the hell I'm not buying a tutorial." But upon looking at it, it does appear you've put quite a bit of work into it. I still won't be buying it to be honest, but it does look fairly comprehensive.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This is the renamer I've used for the past 10 years:

http://www.albert.nu/default.asp?sub=programs/default.asp?sub=renamer/main.htm

It's not very...intuitive. But it's simple and powerful and once you learn how to use it you can do poo poo super fast.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Cross posting from the YouTube thread:

http://vimeo.com/15630517

Alex Roman (of The Third & Seventh fame), did a full CG commercial for Silestone.

Goddamn.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So I finally got around to watching Legend of the Guardians: Owls of Ga'Hoole movie.

Holy loving poo poo that is some of the best CG I've seen in recent years (in full-on CG movies).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sigma 6 posted:

Heheh . . . Zack Snyder directed it?

It is true though, the 3d looks great.

Found this earlier today. Sistene Chapel room.

Yeah and it's straight up 300 with Owls and a dash of Lord of the Rings.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr Clownfish posted:

Can anyone tell me how useful a tablet would be for modelling? (using maya) I was wondering whether it would provide any advantage over just using a mouse?

Like...Wacom Tablet or Tablet computer?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SVU Fan posted:

It seems like it would be really counterproductive to extensively use a tablet for Maya rather than just the mouse. I got a tablet for use with photoshop and tried to use it with Maya a few times and it just made the process a ton slower. It's great and way fun for Zbrush and for any sort of texture painting or anything like that, but for vert pulling in Maya, it' a lot harder in my opinion.

I totally disagree. It took a while to get used to, but once I finally got the hang of it, using a tablet with Maya was ten times faster than a mouse.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SVU Fan posted:

That's really interesting! In what way? It was annoying for me, but I gave up on it pretty quickly. I may just have to give it another shot

It did take a while. My roommate came back from working on Lord of the Rings and he was totally sold on it so I forced myself to give it a go. Everything becomes just more fluid and feels like quick flicks of the wrist than anything else. It seems like you're able to do more with small subtle movements and it becomes less mechanical. Coupled with some solid custom marking menus and it really improves.

I will say that every once in a while, picking a vertex or whatever screws up. Sometimes the small selections can be a pain, but I mostly attribute that to a familial tremor.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr Clownfish posted:

This was posted on BoingBoing today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWE18YjLA8U

Truly stunning. I can't even imagine ever having this level of skill.

It is also just really well put together independent of the CG. It is shame someone of this skill is working on something as mundane as a sink.

I posted that in this thread back in November, not trying to call you out...just surprised it showed up so late on BoingBoing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

-A n i m 8- posted:

Amazing reel here : http://vimeo.com/19368587

Post that in the youtube thread too please!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EoinCannon posted:

It might not be the DOF that's causing the miniature feeling (although I'm not getting that too much). It may just be the geography of the scene, also the sturdy construction of the table gives it that kind of squat, miniature feeling to it. I would check the scale of the detail on the skirting board also, if that table is 57cm high, that is thin skirting board and probably wouldn't have that much fine detail on it

It is definitely a large part of the DOF (which almost always causes a miniature effect when used incorrectly) and also there's nothing else in the scene for scale reference. And the angle is a bit low. Fixing those things can reduce the miniature effect.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Edgar posted:

I want to get a laptop for modeling in Maya and working with Unity. I was looking at Mac Book Pro's since they have Nvidia cards and Intel i7 cores, but I never worked on one in Maya before. Any suggestions?

No idea about the tech (sorry), although I imagine any of them should be fine for the level of stuff you'd be doing in Unity.

Any idea why you're going for a laptop specifically?

Also what's up Unity buddy? I'm just getting into it myself and learning C# to do some hobbyist gaming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Anybody remember Project Messiah?

Well they are doing a sort of experimental sales model for a limited time.

http://projectmessiah.com/x6/shop.html

Basic version is 10 bucks and Pro is 40 bucks IF enough people buy it. Once it expires it goes back to normal price and if enough people bought it you get your license. If not your money is refunded.

It's no Maya, but it's a nice way to maybe get a decent animating tool legit and on the cheap for folks just messing around.