Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All I can say is that your demo reel is loving incredible, but that isn't very constructive criticism, so all I can offer is that most if not all of the links in your "extras" section are 404s. I'm not sure if that is what the "under construction" label is for, but if its not you may want to take a quick look at that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is V-ray Maya out of beta? Every reference I see to it on messageboards is "I'm in the beta", but there is a downloadable demo on Chaos' site that works pretty well (limited to 600x400-something and is watermarked).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I haven't found anyone who has actually used it yet if it is available. I ask not because I want it but because I'm genuinely curious as to its status.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This may be old hat to you guys who are experienced at lighting, but for those of us who don't know much about it I found this to be a pretty good rundown of light itself.

It doesn't actually go into detail about lighting a scene or anything like that but it does give a really good rundown of different types and effects of light. It seems equally well suited reading for 3D as it does for photography.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oops sorry, must have missed it. It's an awesome read even though I'm nowhere near lighting yet :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just wanted to say that Autodesk is loving amazing. I submitted my Maya selection bug, got a personal response and now I'm working with QA one on one to track it down. If every product I bought had this type of support :monocle:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only thing that stands out to me is the door on the immediate right, probably because of the handle. Other than that, it's amazing :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

International Log posted:

Thanks, yeah that's because of the perspective. It's a small space so my boss wanted me to use a high FOV which borks with the proportions... :(

I honestly just think it's the handle that looks a little CG-polygony -- otherwise that door would look fine. The FOV thing was secondary as far as I'm concerned.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks great to my untrained eye, but the lighting on the mouth area in the first shot is really creeping me out for some reason :pwn:

I think it looks OK through the hair in the second (it is hard to see though) so I think its just some weird shadow play maybe?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I ended up buying Digital Tutors' "Introduction to Maya" four disc set. It did a pretty good job of showing off the basics of the interface, some good examples of modeling and tool usage, but one thing that drives me crazy is how half-assed some of the examples are done.

I mean, I didn't expect feature animation quality output in a beginner's tutorial and I realize that the point is more to get the user acquainted with the UI and workflow, but there was a lot of approximation, eyeballing, and corner cutting that went into modeling the demo.

On the upside, at least as I'm working through it I'm taking it upon myself to go beyond what they're teaching and find ways to make it look cleaner. For $50 I guess I can't complain much, but I won't say I learned substantially more than I could have by following various free online tutorials. Convenience fee for not having to hunt them down I guess.

It's a good tutorial set, but I really wish I could afford some real classroom training nearby :(
That being said, I AM thinking about picking up their "Introduction to Modeling in Maya" set too :v:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 20, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Heintje posted:

Yeah approximation is fine.

Sorry I didn't mean to come off sounding like approximation isn't a valid concept to use when modeling, I'm sure it has its uses. When it boils down to it, there were only two incidents that really made me scratch my head in the tutorial in question:

One was when he modeled handlebars for the "jet-bike". Instead of capping the extruded surface he just scaled in the end verts. I guess that's OK but it just seems like a sloppy way of doing it if you can cap your object.

The other was when he eyeballed the placement of something that should have been symmetrical.

No huge deal either way. I've been working in 3D for a month and this guy has been teaching for years so I guess he has his reasons, and again it was a beginner's tutorial so I guess perfection wasn't the ultimate goal :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's entirely possible he did turn on some grid snap feature, I know I did when I worked my way through the tutorial. I don't think he mentioned it but I could have missed something because I was concentrating on following the workflow myself. In any event, I capped and snapped so I came out ahead :c00l:

I also went ahead and bought "Urban Environment Creation" because that's what I'm really more interested in. It sounds like it's got a different instructor so it should be interesting to see how the teaching styles differ.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Been going through the Urban Environment CDs and my emotions went something like this:

- Wow this is awesome :dance:

- Dang I can do this! :)

- I can't wait to try this on material not covered in the tutorial! :haw:

- Huh? What are UVs? Oh. That's right, I remember those :(

- Well I suppose laying out UVs on this entire scene can't be all that diffic:suicide:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Since we're on the subject of hardware, can someone recommend a good mouse for Maya? I'm using a generic cheap three button logitech, and having the middle button on the scroll wheel is an exercise in patience at times. It's incredibly awkward and hard to click without scrolling the wheel a little, dollying the camera. What do you guys recommend?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't really afford a bigger Wacom so the point is moot ;)

I'm sitting in an Ikea Jules chair because I'm a masochist :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 2, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any particular reason you stay away from Dells? In my experience they offer a pretty good product for a pretty decent price.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spottedfeces posted:

The left light-post looks like it's just sitting on a flat plane, so it looks a little odd. Maybe if the terrain had some more definition? The one on the right is partially obscured by the rocks so it doesn't give off the same out-of-place vibe.

But more to the point, I love the mood you've created :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I'm not sure if there's a more appropriate one around.

I'm looking to learn Google Sketchup as an alternative to banging out quick engineering prototype and I'm coming from an AutoCAD-ish background. Is there any book or video resource you guys can recommend that will be kind of a "google sketchup for dummies" but with a focus on mechanical engineering?

I want to use it to design quick models for boxes or panels where I can throw small aluminum plates into my CNC and have sketchup export G-Code at some point, but that's not really what I want to learn, that's just the intended usage so you can see what I'm coming from.