Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Hey guys, I've just finished sitting down all morning watching video encoding progress bars for my animation reel (for the 2nd time), so here's a web version while I figure out how the hell to send it to studios for employment. I'd love to hear feedback if you have any, although I won't be fixing anything any more in this reel as I have to send it out at some point :)

http://www.puppetstring.com/tom_cannell_animation_h264.mov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Thanks :) I'll see how it goes and keep updated on any progress.

However, in the mean time... Do you have a Nokia N95? Do you need motioncapture? Then you're in luck! http://teavuihuang.com/mocap/

:psyduck:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ElecHeadMatt posted:

The vision I had of the final project was far more epic

Haha, I think I've uttered these words after just about everything I've ever done in 3D.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Congrats on the front page plug. I almost posted with a stairs reference and then decided to not be lame.

Heh, yeah... Have you got stairs in your showreel? Would be a bit creepy.

Thanks again.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm curious, can anyone recommend a good website for downloading stock Maya elements, whether it be (character) models or fully rigged characters?

Doubleyou doubleyou doubleyou dot hache eye gee hache ee en dee three dee dot see oh em.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

This video of the new Mudbox blew me away especially at the end: http://area.autodesk.com/mudbox_preview#siggraph

It depresses me somewhat because while animating I have to stare at low resolution gray lambert shaded objects slide around the viewport as if I'm stuck in the 80's. Meanwhile Mudbox will blow your face clean off with some sort of futuristic alien technology poo poo.

Oxygencult posted:

This is awesome! The hands stick out to me as weird, however. The hand seems perhaps a bit too plump around the wrist / base of the thumb area, but as you get to the fingers they get too skinny and fragile, the thumb demonstrates this most notably.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

chellesandcheese posted:

I haven't added any of my animation mentor stuff yet, but you can see my old one online. Sorry, I was just trying to get a feel for how much feedback I could get. :)

https://www.chellescreations.net

I already know my walk and run cycles need to go. I've got newer ones that I can put in there. I'm just not sure which stuff from my old job to keep. They're all playblasts right now, I'm working on getting the final rendered versions from the company.

A lot of the stuff on your old reel is very similar to each other, so a lot of it can be cut out. For instance there are 4 separate shots of someone on stand gesturing with one hand out front and one hand behind his back. The one of those with the clearest silhouette is the one with 2 guys "good and valid legislation" so keep that and cut the rest.

The eagle shot "things were getting critical" you should keep because it seems the most controlled and the gestures a bit more subtle compared to a few of the other shots where he's moving his head around a bit too much (and not really making much use of arcs).

I guess it depends on how much footage you have from Animation Mentor. I wouldn't simply put a run and walk cycle into the reel on their own, I would rather see the walks in context in a shot.

Also the reel doesn't need to be much longer than 1 minute, under no circumstances should you keep stuff just to keep the length of the reel up. Include only your absolute best work, or animate a new scene if you're not completely certain on something else, it should only take a week or two.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

chellesandcheese posted:

Comments I'd gotten before was that I didn't have enough body mechanics stuff, which is why the walk and run got added in the first place. Now however, after a few tweaks, I have a pantomime action shot that has a run it, so it's going to be going in instead.

That's cool. Better to make a piece that hits 2 birds with one stone where you can show an entertaining performance AND prove you know proper body mechanics and physics. There's a new 11 sec sound file coming out in a few days (start of every month), so give that a shot as well if you think you have a good idea for it, otherwise throw it away and do something else, since time is tight.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

So would I, but it's from a real street in london and it really is as bare as that.

Needs more chewing gum on the floor and bendy-busses using up the entire length of the road. Also roadworks.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

concerned mom posted:

I've extruded the mouth in to create a cavity, then made some simple gums with teeth and put them inside. It all seems very clumsy to me. especially when it comes to unwrapping and rigging. Any ideas?

What's clumsy? I'd advise keeping the gums and teeth a seperate object to the lips/inside mouth so its easier to manage. Rig them how you would normally, with a weighted jaw bone (or not), then just make sure you build your shapes with both objects at once.

Unless you're deforming the lips like a horse where you actually see the gums attach to the lips inside the mouth, then don't bother with those details. Go for what ever looks good.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

SGT. Squeaks posted:

NooOoooooooOOOOOO!!!!!

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=12022457&siteID=123112

This can't possibly be a good thing.

This came out of nowhere, holy gently caress. Also pretty depressing news for me to wake up to. God dammit, Autodesk is a black hole, where software inevitably ends up to live in an overpriced shadow of their former glory, assimilated into a coherent mindfuck of viewcubes and a lack of innovation and support.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

DefMech posted:

They've been buying a lot of high profile entertainment oriented companies lately, so they'll probably swing around to the design/engineering side, go mad with power, and buy Dassault Systemes. After that, they form into some sort of software singularity and become fully sentient, removing the need for human operators entirely.

I heard Dassault was a company also bidding for Softimage (besides Autodesk). I guess they gave in quite early.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I think it's a mixture of everyone following the same tutorials/using the same methods and materials, along with clients and bosses saying "this picture looks good, do this". The style is boring and soft, but at least it isn't that loving "head-on flashlight type lighting" that Maxwell Render users were producing a little while back. Photorealistic renders of a disposable camera snap in a dark room! Great!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

SGT. Squeaks posted:

yeah, if it's too dark to see the tv, it's obviously too dark. Thanks guys! I'll lighten it up a bit. I'll fix the texture too.

I think a lot of what it needs is bounced light, so start adding a few kickers and lights which will illuminate the back of things a bit, also try adding a glow to the TV screen somehow so you can see where the light is coming from even if you can't see the light itself. Also maybe increase the brightness of the light the TV is emitting, since I guess thats where you want people to look, and especially if there's a character in the scene he will need some sort of stronger light in order to see him clearly.

DefMech posted:

I've been learning a new piece of software lately that's entirely NURBS based. I just glanced at the thread title again and it popped out at me. Does anyone else here actually use NURBS/Solids modeling very often? I figure most of that discipline is in the engineering field and not so much entertainment/art these days.

I've seen a few people having a blast in MOI which is free. Mainly for modelling solid, individual objects. The only reason I personally use them is when rigging, parametric surfaces are still a crucial part of everyone's toolset.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I might as well throw this up here:

(click for larger)

I've been battling with getting ZB deformation of the suit wrinkles into XSI and I hate the process. UVs don't work properly so there's lots of fixing the image in photoshop, remapping the displacement image range so to match what it should look like, Ultimapper in XSI kept giving me big black marks on the image so I couldn't use that. I hate this process, and I've still got a ton of things to fix and design the helmet and texture his skin and :(
Hopefully it's a decent mix of new/retro space styles. I love the silver aircraft and shiny suits they wore in them and the pioneering spirit of the 50's with rocketry and jets, so I'm going to aim for that a bit.

SynthOrange posted:

Could you elaborate on this? Rigging for me is binding stuff to a skeleton, though I admit that I pretty much do bare bones rigging.

You can use curves and surfaces in all sorts of funky ways to drive/constrain deformers or whatever you wish. It's useful being able to drive things based on the UV coordinates of NURBS that you can't do on polygons. Usually for more complex deformation in a rig (like on a face or something complex with layers of deformations happening I.E. deformers that need to adapt and work with previous deformers), simply having a rotating bone or a movable object won't get you where you want, so you could use nurbs/curves to help drive or constrain layered controls that do things like : collision intersection, moving deformers explicitly along a complex surface, mapping object positions along a surface, etc. etc.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks.

As for ZB/XSI problems, I had something similar crop up when painting my Max models in ZB. ZB divides up polygons differently to Max, causing no end of headaches when I first discovered it. The workaround is to subdivide the model a few times before exporting it to paint in ZB.

Does that not mess up the the way the displacement is mapped on the UVs? It sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a shot next time I jump in there, cheers. What I found was at the very borders of the islands ZB would make the displacement colour bright white and black like marching ants, which sometimes exploded the mesh along certain seams, so I painted those parts out in photoshop and it was all fine again, but at that point I can't go back into ZB and carry on painting so it isn't a good non-linear workflow. I would've just done it in Modo (which I quite like for painting), but I can't get the Vector Displacement map from Modo working in XSI/MR.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah I gave that a quick try but nothing really happened so I went back to Photoshop . I think I need to read up on how properly to use it.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Oh poo poo it's $200 :confused:

I always thought it was gaining popularity because it was free. Must be actually quite fun then :)

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Kirby posted:

Were using a really cool folicle system in maya 08 on our main rigs.

Yeah I use ribbons for spines and limbs for most character rigs, they're a really nice way of doing things. Except in XSI I can use a fast surface constraint, or a multithreaded ICE compound to do the trick instead of Maya's slow hacked up way of using follicles :madmax: :hellyeah:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Haha

I just can't wait to use the view cube in XSI 2009

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Rigging the helmet ring was a little awkward because the shoulders, torso, inner shoulders and ring all need to effect one another but keep the control. So this pose was to test to see if he could maneuver his hand/shoulder to pull the ring to one side while keeping the inner-shoulders offset.

Next up: Animation tests and to re-write the story (in my head) before modelling locations. Being unemployed sucks. :emo:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

The grey suit parts are separately weighted objects, the neck/shoulders area of grey have a few different deformers on it so I can animate it separately to the actual suit/ring. The folds are just displacement that I made in ZB, which I'll drive with a tension map in certain areas like the hips. The blue valves are just objects pinned to clusters on the mesh, and the actual mesh is quite low-rez and weighting was actually really simple. I can't take any wires at the moment because Vista completely died on me so I need to reinstall it which will probably take about a day :(

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Macksy posted:

Hey guys I haven't worked in 3d in about 7 years since going 2d, but I'm very interested in getting back into it with z-brush/mudbox and am looking to build a new rig to do so. I guess my question is how much do these program utilize the GPU? Are they more cpu/ram intensive or would it be worth it to pony-up for a mo' powerful video card? I guess I'm also looking for a reason to justify getting a expensive card for something other than just running gta4 at max settings.

Zbrush doesn't use the GPU at all, Mudbox will use a bit of video memory and use the GPU for realtime shader effects. General 3d applications don't use the GPU tremendously unless you're (for some stupid reason) dealing with scenes that have 10's of millions of polygons, and even then RAM/CPU/workflow are going to be your bottleneck.

CPU/RAM is a lot more important, along with driver stability.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Macksy posted:

Yeah I know that ram and cpu are the most important, I haven't touched 3d since max 3 I was just wondering if the new software could take advantage of the advanced gpus somehow, seeing as how powerful they've become.

How about quad vs duel cores? I'm not looking to break the bank with this and don't know if I'd get that much out of going for a quad core. The new computer is primarily going to be used for photoshop painting, I just want to expiriment with 3d and have something else on my resume.

Depends on the software you use. In XSI, enveloping is also processed by the GPU along with the CPU, but this isn't done by any other apps that I know of right now.

Eep is right about dual/quad core uses. For rendering, a quadcore will be the most beneficial. Most other things (unless you know it's multithreaded and doesn't have any single threaded processes bottlenecking it) a higher clocked dual core will be better.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Okay the Lightwave Core live stream was horribly embarrasing to watch, did anyone else catch it?

Besides the fact that they demonstrated a bunch of features that were present in Maya 1.0, there were horrible editing errors and the presenters had as much charisma reading the cue cards as a door to door tupperware salesman.

edit: link here: http://www.veoh.com/search/videos/q/Lw+core#watch%3Dv17421006ShAqREfA

tuna fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 5, 2009

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

SideFX needs a new "toon" character because that one they keep using in demos and as an example is just :gonk:.

Those plastics simulations look really sweet and so do the rest of the new features in 10. I'd totally use Houdini if it didn't suck for animation.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

:c00lbert:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

brian encino man posted:

OT in the 3d industry seems like a rare thing indeed :-(

It isn't really very rare depending on what sort of job you take and how you are employed by the company. Admittedly, I don't really know anything about the games industry, but I know a whole bunch of people who claim OT from working on features to freelancing on commercials. It isn't ideal, as it still happens far too often than it ideally should, but people do get compensated for it. As for whether the pay is worth the detrimental effect it has on your life, well that's for every person to experience and decide on.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Well, my version of LeChuck anyways.

This is just so much better than their loving poo poo 3D efforts will ever be.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Let me know when you start recognising a pattern in this CGTalk challenge.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah those are early concepts. The time when they should be trying out different things, not the overused cliche crappy james bourne impossible III fantasy they're trying to live out via Blender and Lightwave.

There is a 2d section in the challenge as well (and animation).

tuna fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 14, 2009

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah you definitely need to show the depth of the scene better in that image as the BG blends in too well with the FG where they meet. (Which also happens to be at the 50% mark, half way up the image. I would personally tilt the camera up and lower it so it was 70% foreground, 30% background.)

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Ratmann posted:

Oh god, cgtalk has become THE most retarded place on the internet, I only go there when I need some entertainment, and maybe post on the max forums, the rest is just gold hilarity.

I am embarrassed to open CGTalk at work. It has now become a guilty pleasure website that I don't read any more.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Hinchu posted:

Why the hell is it so hard to not make characters look creepy as hell?

I'm reworking Tinman and getting really frustrated.

Edit: Thumbed for creepiness.

I think it's human eyes on a mechanical body that are killing the appeal. They have that species crossover effect that happens with things like this:

Also look into general proportions of the head, it's pretty much always just an unappealing set of proportions.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Travakian posted:

Out of curiosity, do any of you VFX folks do the international/traveling freelancer bit? That is, six months in LA working on one show, a year in Vancouver on another, another six in London, etc -- I've heard of some people working solely contract-to-contract (as opposed to permanent employment at a studio); what is it like? Is it doable? I'm a compositor -- is it rare for compositors to shop around, as opposed to 3d?

Just asking as I've been working at a studio here for about a month and a half (after working on-set / freelancing design for a while) and although the pay is absolutely fantastic, I'm starting to see that if I'm not careful, I could end up at this studio for years. Or I could stay here for a bunch of years, go somewhere else for a few more -- I don't to look back and think, 'What the gently caress was I doing for so long?' (Hopefully moving around all the time would offset this.)

Thoughts?

Although I'm not VFX (I'm in animation) and I'm not intentionally a freelancer, I've moved from England to Utah to California since the start of 2009 on different jobs so I have sort of been doing this recently and can say that it really depends on what you like to do.

Seeing new places is really cool, but moving and being able to fit your life into a couple of luggage bags isn't nice. Living in average Hotels and finding places to rent is also not a bundle of fun. You find you can't really "have" anything because you'll throw it away/sell it before you move again in a few months. Forget having a girlfriend or friends wherever you go (unless you're lucky and someone happens to move out with you).

Do it for as long as you care to, but eventually you'll most likely get fed up with the constant change and you'll stick to freelancing for longer times, or in smaller areas.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Heintje posted:

What Tuna said about not having a gf, friends (well, no long term ones), things to do on the weekend with said friends etc etc is very true.

Given that the industry is so tight-nit, a large portion of your friends (or girlfriends) are going to be in the industry as well, and you'll undoubtedly meet people who you know by 2nd/3rd degree anyway. So the small community thing oils your social life quite a lot when you're moving from state to state or country to country.

Heintje posted:

But it IS fun being in new places and regularly getting the "WTF am I doing here" feeling.

Haha, I've never known how to explain this feeling but I love it too. It's as bizarre as dejavu.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Slightly old news, but Oddity, the angry but talented Irish sculptor who recently sculpted 140 characters for a painting by Paolo Veronese has been arrested for secretly filming a 12+ year old girl in her bedroom "as reference".

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

EoinCannon posted:

His critiques of others' work were always brutally honest.

I enjoyed this about his posts, he would usually do it to people who really deserved a taste of reality, even if they could sculpt well (its hard to reach those types). Although he did hold a lot of grudges and was relentlessly incessant about persecuting certain people's work to the point of just becoming noise.

It's a shame he apparently turned out to be a mega creep.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Also the lighting detracts from the liver spots, jeez, amateurs. :rolleyes: Start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Softimage 2010 is available for download now, for those of you who haven't been using it in beta recently :D

If you ever worked with heavy scenes or referenced models, this release will make your life easier. Also you get to try out Face Robot and realise that it's poo poo and makes your life harder.