Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
day 3:

Did some groundworks, still not much detail in the fg. Massed out the city a little.
Needs some seriously heavy overhead lines modeling... and some random objects around the tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Sigma-X posted:

it looks like you used a FFD to skew the straight section of railing to make the angled section of railing -

God drat. Yeah, i'll change that. I was hoping nobody would notice, but thats kind of why i'm posting it up so poo poo like that gets picked up...

I'll sort that out tomorrow :)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Max is the big one for arch viz.

Modo is getting some more support but it's by smaller houses. Just use whatever you're comfortable with, you're only learning an interface. Modeling, texturing, lighting and rendering translate pretty well.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

SynthOrange posted:

Cubicle gangster: That looks pretty awesome. Shouldnt the rail lines be sunken below the boarding platform though?

Wasnt going to be a boarding platform originally - I was going for more of a maintenence angle. I was thinking about it last night though and may change it to an actual platform.

edit: odddzy - crazy bump, when it works, can save you a hell of a lot of time. But sometimes the results are a bit poo poo and you have to combine the results with some work on the original to create the maps - so the time save depends entirely on the results you get from it.
I would say it's a pretty good tool to have around for a cg artist though, even if it goes a bit wonky sometimes.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 6, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah but it's not an overhaul, it's a slaughter.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
This is what using the new max interface is like, using a toolshed as an analogy:

"Every time you put down a tool to do something else, the tool get's put away. But here's the difference: it's not in the same place twice. It depends on what you're about to do with the tool.

No kidding.

Need a hammer? Well - depends. If you're going to hammer a nail, it's on the pegboard above the bench. But if you're going to pull a nail, it's in the drawer to your right. If you're going to chisel a bit of wood, we'll - it's in the box on the shelf behind you. But if you're going to smash something it's in the silverware drawer in the kitchen."

It is exactly how I felt when using it. It jumps all over the place depending on whats selected, but instead of just having one for 'edit poly' or 'slice', it's got a different UI layout for each of the 5 selection types within edit poly. Completley over designed.
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
In what way, display errors?

Not seen any, but i've not used it that much either.
Dont get me wrong, it's not a bad release - they just hosed up a bit with that one.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Kirby, can you upload just one episode to youtube?

It looks awesome, nice work!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Handiklap posted:

"Yeah, I think it kind of looks like poo poo and I can't put my finger on it, but thanks anyway."

Get it in an environment, white bg's kinda throw arch stuff off.

Quick stuff thats not important, but there:
The stone is a bit pasty - possibly add more contrast/spec to it.
Theres some noise in the supports - could also add a bump of wood, assuming it is painted wood. The filleting is too uniform for wood too, it's have variation in how sharp/soft the edges are.
Any bolts, screws, metal brackets in it? Doesnt matter if it only renders a few pixels worth.
The benches are a bit dark, but that could be the silhouette thing. Maybe lighten up the mat and add some more reflection/something for them to reflect.
The wood at the top holding the roof up is a bit pasty too, try fiddling with the texture and darkening/adding spec to it all.

It's good, and would look awesome if it was in a proper scene - i'm just being pedantic cause you asked :)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Kid-A posted:

That's not what my Max 2010 looks like.

Theres 2 versions, you on design?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Update on ICL!

I was ill, then I was working a lot. So it slowed down. But now i'm full speed ahead again.
Still loads of temp objects and variation/detailing needed in the building, but it's starting to take shape.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
You're kind of right on both, i think the benches are too small, they're just temporary ones and were thrown in quick. I think the lamp and wall texture are still too big though, but thats it - everything else was measured and they were the only ones done by eye. Didnt notice it because i am poo poo at scale :3:

Tunnel lights will have work done, they're still the ones from the first render and i've not gone back to them yet.
I was wondering how to deal with the tunnel entrance - had decided to leave it for now and see how it stood out near the end. It will now have an unwrapped and properly textured arch!

I know I need dirt too, not put much thought into it. I could quite easily drop my materials into a vrayblend and use masks on a different uv channel to spread some crap along the sleepers though, should be a pretty quick job. i'll do it when I do the rest of the platform.

Next week or so is going to be finishing off the coke building, detailing the ad, and over the weekend finishing off the platform. New textures needed and 6 models to detail up on it...

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

sigma 6 posted:

cubicle gangster: Are you using the linear workflow here, or can I assume you always do?

your scenes seem like they could always use a little more clutter to make them believable. I know arch vis is often "empty" but are you going to add stock people or more set dressing?
Never really use lwf... only for massive animations and comps into footage, for stills I dont find much benifit. The arch viz guys blew up over it because its a mathmatically 'correct' method, and seemed to think that meant you couldnt make an image look good without it anymore and anything else was wrong.

Plenty more detail is due... i just want to get the models in first. I'll probably start breaking it up into seperate scenes and rendering patches for 3d detail (ciggarette ends, litter, grass, particles).
We dont usually get chance because we're working for clients and any time we put a scratch or streak of dirt it, they ask for us to remove it.

To put it into perspective i'd have a hard time saying this image is even half done yet.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

DefMech posted:

Does that rock wall texture have any displacement? It looks really flat and smooth right now, like it's a big vinyl sticker instead of actual rocks and mortar.

Yeah, it's about 150mm worth. It's not the most jagged wall, but it shouldnt look smooth - i'll have a play around with it.
Might just need to set the mortar back in the diffuse a bit more.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Did some grass r&d this afternoon :)

From http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/2009/04/vray-grass-tutorial-part-2/
Only mine is far far simpler. (and too big - it was just a rough test for the overall look)

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 28, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Handiklap posted:

It wouldn't have been much fun at all just dropping a displacement map on a box, now would it, smarty pants? :colbert:

One of the great thing about the way you've done it is that you can do it on a flat plane, 32mx32m, entirely randomised and render yourself a diffuse/spec/occ and make a loving ridiculously high detail custom shader. If you're using the new vray you could even try vector displacement, which should look pretty much exact on a wall like that.

Kirby: thats awesome, thanks :)
I'm always impressed by pass based renders. I do my base, a couple of masks and then have about 50 nodes in combustion going all over the place ripping parts out and putting them back.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Wheeeee!

Had a couple of hours spare at the end of today so I did a render to fit my music. 'schtick' is the name I go by for it, it's all dark n' poo poo.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
What is it, what is it of, kind of plausiable depending on content and direction but you will not be sleeping more than 5 hours a night. Godspeed.

The pint at the end of that will be the finest pint that you have ever tasted.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I never got into mental ray at all :(
The way it works just rubs me up the wrong way.

Also, is anyone from here going to the vray public event in london on the 13th?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Cad_Monkey2 - it's coming along a lot better now, but everything still seems slightly disjointed. I'd get some subtle dirt/ao in there, and it might be worth seeing how it looks with camera correction on.

Here's a few days work - bit quiet in the office so i'm working on some portfolio things. I didnt do the bar though, that was taken from someone elses old scene.

edit:
Wireframe!

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 11, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
hah, they are.
They look hosed up, just because it's not exactly a common sight. Thats actually how big they are though, it's weird.

I might just swap them out because it makes the scale of my scene look wrong.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 11, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
No I didnt! It's a displacement map.

Although you can then say 'you used a 4k x 4k displacement map on a glossy reflective floor' and then I could say 'yeah what of it son'

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
haha. I did :3:
It's a mix map with the grain faded over the top.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Its an arroway one. Diff/bump/spec as 4k x 4k 60mb .png's

They are silly

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
'produce something of worth', he says!
They're awesome.

Anyone who uses max along with vray needs to get onto forest lite, stat - http://www.itoosoft.com/english/menu.php?id=forest_faq

It's basically vray scatter, but it has a free version too.

I did this in 45 minutes and it rendered in 10 - (excuse the awful colour balancing on the shrubbery, I didnt change the materials)

12 billion polys total, 2 of those billion just coming from the individual blades of grass.
That is ALL geometry, stretching to just over 1km away. (although the grass breaks off much earlier)
Also the entire ground plane is displaced mud. haha.

The viewport loving flies with very little slowdown. It's completley bonkers.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 14, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
re: the houdino map thing - cant you just turn filtering off completley and crank up the AA to let that handle it? I'm stabbing in the dark here, but you can do that with vray.

The results look awesome, if a little bright ;)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

TouchToneDialing posted:

So the trees and grass in the image are all 3d? I saw on the website that alot of the stuff is done with 2d planes and iv never had much luck making planes work well in an animated scene. Have you tried any of that?

Yeah - the trees are modeled leaves, and the grass I modeled myself (at 5 polys each blade)
Never used a 2d plane in a scene, always thought it looked like poo poo and now we can get away with 3d objects. It's a technique straight out of the late 90's.

Sky is kind of a camera projection - I took a screen shot of the viewport from a camera with a wider angle, put the sky over it as I would in post then projected it onto a self illuminated plane behind everything. Gives me about 5 degrees either side of the view because I was going to do some basic animation.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 17, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The only thing that stands out to me are the orange walls - they look a little flat. Maybe a subtle glossy falloff reflection, slight noise in the glossiness - just so it looks a little shiny and painted.

Aside from that it's really good, the people are well matched.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

EvilHobo posted:

how long did it take many of you to reach the standard of proficiency that you have in the work that you do?

Probably about 5 years total, started at 16 - the past 3 1/2 years working somewhere good, a year modeling and teaching myself and a few months making chrome spheres above the ocean in vue d'esprit 2. haha.
I was big into the idea of 3d and wanting to know how they made it before then, which may have helped, idk.

Here's one from yesterday:

edit: missed a year, it's been 5, not 4. forgot how long i'd been working here. haha.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 21, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
From late 05, - it's about a year in. I'd just got into vray and this was the first 'proper' render I did with it

I still kind of like the lighting in this one :3:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Sorry :( It's the earliest I have, i know it's breaking the rules a bit.

I didnt model the chair though, it's a random model i found online.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Props on the breakdown kirby, thats good advice.

Did some more testing with forest lite...
Took about 2 days to set up the whole sequence. Theres 3 layers of forest - grass, shrubbery & trees.
The grass has about 600k proxies scattered (it goes right around the lake, about 25m deep from the shore), the shrubs about 30k proxies and the trees about 40k - I worked out that this makes 24 billion polys in total.
And renders at 20 minutes a frame at 1024x576! (the start bit, the last section goes up to an hour...)

Amazing little plugin :)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
IR/BF, yeah.

BF on it's own is madness.

edit: fisheye!

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 27, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Yasha From Russia posted:

wow, how did you do fisheye like that? Iv been trying to figure it out for a while.

Vray can render them out of the box. if you are using standard cameras, open up the render settings and go to the 'vray' tab - at the bottom there should be a rollout called camera. Change type to fisheye, override fov, sorted.

The edges I took from searching flickr for fisheye photos - makes it more believable with the edges of the lens in view.

Did another one for breakfast :)
These are far too much fun.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

A5H posted:

Still doesn't seem to like it.
That surface is only like 1mm x 5mm full size anyway.
I just don't understand why the wireframe looks good, but the rendered version is total poo poo.

Tried scaling it up? looks like you're using nurbs that are being auto-meshed at rendertime and it's not finding the detail, if it's 1mmx5mm then it probably just doesnt think it needs the detail going in.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Scan a poloroid in and use that as a map instead of the weird paper you have now, it'll look a million times better.

Just set the shot up in real life - put some poloroids onto a wood table and take a photo of it. Look back at it every 10 minutes.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
UV mapping in rhino sucks dick. However it's been about 3 years since I used it, so I cant even remember how it works (only that it doesnt work well)

The forest/lakeside animation is rendered!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=looHo8econg
Still processing so the quality is a bit sketchy. Also didnt turn out anywhere near as good as I wanted it but for a couple of days work it's all I could do. :(

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 8, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I would pay good money to see the face of whoever he sends his demo reel to.

gently caress, I hope that is his demo reel - just sends out that animation and an a3 glossy print of it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I actually finished that train station one I started months ago. It's changed a hell of a lot since then and turned into an interior now, but it's done!
First thing i've ever finished that was not someone elses idea/a photo and not done just to learn something either.

I used the new environment fog in vray too, which is amazing.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Aargh posted:

The design of the railway station has something a bit odd about it that I can't quite put my finger on. I think it's the fact that you've got an ornate outdoor station (walkway, lighting, clock, tunnel & paving) which seems to have been housed in a much later period warehouse.

I know what you mean, the design thing was intentional but I dont think the idea comes across nearly as well as i'd hoped. - the view is set in modern day in a city where they've tried to preserve old architecture, so you end up with this surreal mix of old and new. I tried to take into account them not doing a particularly good job...
The original version had a near-futuristic city in the background of the old station, but none of it was working so it got scrapped and I changed the view.

ceebee - do you have a screenshot? i've never played tf2.