Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

newt ging rich bitch posted:

also a reminder that diamonds aren't really very rare at all and only fetch such high prices because the supply is artificially limited by hoarding them.

another reminder that artificial diamonds are just as good but diamond companies like to tell people they arent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

LS! posted:

it's funny because now diamond companies are telling people it's the flaws in natural diamonds that make them valuable

because the flaws in diamonds represent the flaws in your significant other but how you love them anyway :h::h::h:

or they represent how your thinking is flawed if you really think it matters!

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

MRI chalk posted:

heh, i remember a few years ago when the press was running articles about how much cheaper and more efficient the manufacture of artificial diamonds had become, and they detailed one manufacturer who had actually received written death threats from anonymous representatives of diamond companies like debeers

people so crazy

there was a documentary on discovery channel or something, and they showed the big-rear end machines they used to turn coal and poo poo into diamonds, and those things looked pretty authentic to me.

its funny too, because even before i became jaded and cynical i thought that de beers was an evil company

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Nonsense posted:

who are these artificial diamond manufacturers? I will support them with my bleeding heart dollars

i doubt you'll be able to get any, every advertisement (IT CAN ONLY BE JARED) for a diamond store i hear is all about "WE HAVE ONLY REAL DIAMONDS, NOT THOSE FAKE IMITATION CRAP."

also the documentary was filmed in some foreign country called czechistanissialia or something

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Xephero posted:

it's bayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg-52mHIjhs

it's so loving bayer look at this loving poo poo

gently caress bayer

christ

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

PUSSY MASTER 007 posted:

what's even worse is that the loving FDA knew about it and let it happen :smithicide:

LOBBYISTS

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

gullibilityindex posted:

nestle is pretty lovely but the bayer thing blew my loving mind

e: beaten by seconds

yeah suddenly after watching that video i dont feel as guilty for not getting vaccinations recently

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

cams posted:

part of me just cant believe that bayer thing is true, because like... if its true... and people know about it... why hasnt anyone done anything about it

if i wanted to do something about it, what should i do

thats what i thought too, im just thinking "how can they get away with this?"

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
oh, turns out that bayer thing was like 20-30 years ago. man.

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

quote:

In 1997, Bayer and the other three makers agreed to pay $660 million to settle cases on behalf of more than 6,000 hemophiliacs infected in United States in the early 1980s, paying an estimated $100,000 to each infected hemophiliac.[2][4][8][9]

Soon after the settlement, because the New York state statute of limitations required people to file a lawsuit within three years of discovering an illness, New York Governor George Pataki signed a bill allowing people infected by blood products, or their survivors, two years to bring product liability suits against the manufacturers.[9] The settled class members are barred from filing suits against the companies, however the bill allowed an estimated additional 75 eligible to file suits.[9]

edit: didn't see anything about paying damages to the other countries yet

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
$660 million. christ. after something like this im just amazed the company still loving exists. it's just totally unacceptable for that to happen.

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Hemogoblin! posted:

No, I'm sorry it's Blackwater.

They simultaneously employ their workers as contractors and salarymen so they can avoid any responsibility for their actions while retaining complete control over what they do. Blackwater's contracts routinely include clauses such as :

1) If you defy a direct order for any reason you will be abruptly terminated and Blackwater will withhold all back salary and sue your family into oblivion.
2) If you die or are injured on a mission due to the negligence of Blackwater you can't sue them. If you sue them, they will withhold all your back salary and bring legal action against you and your family.
3) You can be terminated for any reason whatsoever and if you sue they for wrongful dismissal they will withhold all your back salary and bring legal action against you and your family.

Basically, their contracting system holds you in a state of legal servitude until you quit, and if you have a problem with Blackwater they will sue you until the problem goes away. Who remembers this picture:

Right, those are two Blackwater contractors who drove through the middle of Fallujah in a jeep and got murdered. Turns out their superiors at Blackwater ordered them to do the run, even though they objected, and the US Army deemed it "operationally dangerous" and refused to allow soldiers to enter. Blackwater also failed to provide a heavy gunner who was promised to the men to safeguard their trip. As a result, and the fact they couldn't refuse the order without bankrupting themselves and their families, they ended up like that.

Naturally, when this came to light, the families of the men were upset because Blackwater failed to adequately safeguard the lives of its men and openly lied to them about the working conditions. They opened legal action against Blackwater for negligence and wrongful death. In reply, Blackwater refused to release their dead husbands back wages (some collected during the run they died doing) and filed suit for breach of contract and a bunch of other legal mumbo-jumbo like the cost of their defense and poo poo.

As a result, they pointlessly lost their husbands due to corporate negligence, have not been paid the monies owed them, and are being sued to the tune of millions for holding the company to account for its failures.

yeah, mercenary companies are mostly scum by definition

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
yeah so not only does everybody hate you because you're a god damned moral-less mercenary working for a disgusting company, you and your family also get hosed on back wages because you're working for said disgusting company

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

cams posted:

seriously if invading aliens ever show up im joining them

this is ARE PLANET, you race traitor

but i would join the invading aliens if they were composed entirely of hot blue lesbian chicks, like in mass effect

hell yeah

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
okay so what are some companies that ARENT evil then?

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
beer companies? miller?

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Concordat posted:

Nestlé: Price fixing, marketing baby formula to third world countries contributing to health problems

you left out child and slave labor'

edit: also,

quote:

Monsanto has been the corporate sponsor of many attractions at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

At Disneyland they include:

* Hall of Chemistry
* Fashions and Fabrics through the Years
* House of The Future
* Adventure Thru Innerspace

And at Walt Disney World they included:

* Magic Eye Theatre
* Circle Vision 360

i dont think ive ever felt more guilty for going to disneyworld :(

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
my favorite thing about philip-morris is how they have programs to help people quit smoking

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

sugary posted:

my favorite thing about philip-morris is how they have programs to help people quit smoking

which is obviously not just a half-assed underfunded attempt to appease the masses

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Bastard Tetris posted:

I'm pretty sure they were part of a lawsuit

my point still stands it's absolutely ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

nic olas posted: