Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I just finished Fallout. I've never played the games but my roommate in Afghanistan played fallout 3 a lot so I recall some of the broad strokes.

I really enjoyed the Lucy and Boyd Crowder storylines though.

A show about a massive company ruining the world produced by Amazon is a nice bit of irony though. I guess that's my dumb hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yo, I don't normally ask for recommendations BUT: I'm in the mood for some moody, angsty, big feelings type shows. I'm side-eyeing 13 Reasons Why, but that's roughly the ballpark. Is there poo poo like that but pitched a bit older?

Essentially I'm looking for something on the meaner end of the mean <---> schmaltzy scale, and not too blokey. A "feel bad" show, if you know what I mean by that.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yo, I don't normally ask for recommendations BUT: I'm in the mood for some moody, angsty, big feelings type shows. I'm side-eyeing 13 Reasons Why, but that's roughly the ballpark. Is there poo poo like that but pitched a bit older?

Essentially I'm looking for something on the meaner end of the mean <---> schmaltzy scale, and not too blokey. A "feel bad" show, if you know what I mean by that.

my favorite feel bad show is the leftovers

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Man Foundation season 2 really slaps huh. I put off watching this for 6 months on account of season 1 being trash, somehow it recovered and it instead really good!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Six Feet Under

Happy Valley

The Shadow Line

Cracker

Top of The Lake

The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey

Euphoria?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TIP posted:

my favorite feel bad show is the leftovers

Idiom has bad and wrong opinions on Lindelof shows

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fez_machine posted:

Six Feet Under
Cracker

Yep! That's the stuff. Particularly SFU Season 3, which is probably what I'll go with.

Escobarbarian posted:

Idiom has bad and wrong opinions on Lindelof shows

This is true. Behold:

- L O S T's best season was its third, and the season finale is GOATed. A lot of the other seasons are pretty weak though, particularly two and six.
- Ana Lucia is the best.
- Leftovers gets worse the longer is goes, but the first season is very very strong and even the final season has that Matt episode so this is damning with faint praise.
- Watchmen BAD. :colbert:
- Mrs Davis has an excellent opening and finale, but I do not care for a lot of the middle

mystes
May 31, 2006

- Leftovers gets worse the longer is goes, but the first season is very very strong and even the final season has that Matt episode so this is damning with faint praise.
That's the opposite of what that means

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Are you saying that you don't understand what I mean and asking me to explain myself more effectively that I have, or just being pedantic about specific language choices when you largely understand what's being communicated?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 16, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Are you saying that you don't understand what I mean and asking me to explain myself more effectively that I have, or just being pedantic about specific language choices when you largely understand what's being communicated?
The latter

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

I haven't watched it myself but I hear Baby Reindeer is devastating.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Maybe not what you are looking for.....but 'Beef' may fit that description.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Fleabag might fit this.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's been a hot minute, but I recall everyone being drunk and miserable most of the time in Rescue Me

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Just finished the final season of Reservation Dogs. I couldn’t watch it when it came out because I had just lost my mother and didn’t think I would be able to handle it. After the last few episodes I think I was right.

drat, what a fantastic show.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I just finished Fallout. I've never played the games but my roommate in Afghanistan played fallout 3 a lot so I recall some of the broad strokes.

I really enjoyed the Lucy and Boyd Crowder storylines though.

A show about a massive company ruining the world produced by Amazon is a nice bit of irony though. I guess that's my dumb hot take.

I think Fallout started stronger than it ended. By the end I didn’t really care about anyone’s story besides Goggins and a little for the dorky soon-to-be ghoul. Goosey is sort of OK, but I thought the “okie-dokies” culminating into a “hardened” okie-dokie at the end was pretty silly, even for a Fallout thing. I did like the story they were telling with her though.

The Vault 33 stuff was OK, but that’s a seriously lame vault gimmick. I get they had to do something like that for the narrative to move forward with Goggins’ character, but overall I was hoping for something a bit more vaulty.

I couldn’t care less about the main BOS stuff. They’re the most boring faction in the games and they’re the most boring part of the show by a country mile.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

- Ana Lucia is the best.

Side-eye McScowleyface? Best at what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Side-eye McScowleyface? Best at what?

best of the Lost DUI convictions.