Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«358 »
Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte - just delivered the BUMB, the Hiroshima bumb. Eleven hundred men went into the water.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, I barely got through S1 of Jessica Jones, there were like 3-4 more episodes than that story required.

I thought S1 was fantastic, but every Marvel Netflix series has 2-4 more episodes than needed per season. Even the Defenders somehow managed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I thought S1 was fantastic, but every Marvel Netflix series has 2-4 more episodes than needed per season. Even the Defenders somehow managed that.

Except for Iron Fist, which had 10 more episodes than needed.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Rocksicles posted:

Impulse on youtube is really cool. It's based on the movie Jumper. But don't hold that against it.

I'm 5 episodes in and it's already way better.

Gave this a go. Took an immediate dislike to the main character, which is a testament to the actress portraying her as a posturing, blundering, annoying teenage girl. The plot sometimes just trails off and leaves things unexplained or unresolved, as if the writers had trouble keeping the very masterfully told sexual assault story line balanced with the fantasy aspect and just lost track of some things or didn't know where they were going.

Still, it is well acted and well produced and certainly worth a watch, but I hope the second series picks up pace and has more dramatic development of the superpower storyline, which only has gotten a bit of exposition at the end of this one.

Edit:

Fartbox posted:

Jessica Jones S1 was also trash but the villain made up for a lot of it

Heed this man, his words are wisdom.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at Jun 18, 2018 around 21:57

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

STAC Goat posted:

Its a character trait

Except that Pam, Dwight, Darryl, Toby, Ryan, and numerous guest stars do it all the time too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I know this is really counter to what those Netflix series are supposed to be showing off, but I'd like to see Netflix just attempt a single 2-3 hour 'movie' cut, or trim it all down to 2-3 2 hour movies if you could figure out some satisfying end points for the first installments.

That's not something completely unheard of. I think there's been a few multi-hour minseries that have gotten a 'movie-length' edit made of them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only one I can think of is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was originally a mini series and turned into three movies. Jessicia Jones could definitely use that. With Iron First just delete it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Iron Fist should have been a movie. With a real budget, a martial arts-trained lead (the drunken fighter, Lewis Tan, would have been perfect), and an experienced martial arts movie director, an adaptation of Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist comic could have been one of the all-time greatest action movies.

Klaaz
Sep 23, 2003

Unzip and Attack posted:

Except that Pam, Dwight, Darryl, Toby, Ryan, and numerous guest stars do it all the time too.

In the UK version, people do this because they're supposed to being filmed by a crew making a documentary about office life.

Also, in reaction to the dude saying that Brent goes way more over the top at his most cringy moments might be true but overal I found the UK version offers a lot more subtility when looking at, timing,facial expressions and body language. There's an underlying sense of tragedy and human failure which I didn't really experienced in the US version which makes the UK version so great.

I think they're hard to compare because I consider the UK version a brilliant masterpiece in mocking office life, small managers and self-overestimating employees. While the US version struck me as a more lighthearted comedy and love soap about some people at an office. I've seen the US version till about the 5th season or something.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012

Klaaz posted:

In the UK version, people do this because they're supposed to being filmed by a crew making a documentary about office life.

Also, in reaction to the dude saying that Brent goes way more over the top at his most cringy moments might be true but overal I found the UK version offers a lot more subtility when looking at, timing,facial expressions and body language. There's an underlying sense of tragedy and human failure which I didn't really experienced in the US version which makes the UK version so great.

I think they're hard to compare because I consider the UK version a brilliant masterpiece in mocking office life, small managers and self-overestimating employees. While the US version struck me as a more lighthearted comedy and love soap about some people at an office. I've seen the US version till about the 5th season or something.
The documentary premise is exactly the same in the US version and they actually stuck to it all the way to the end with a really good payoff, even though it became increasingly hard to believe that a crew would film some of these situations.

And also yeah, the main point of the UK version is to be bleak and depressing. The US version has a more positive message where work still sucks and life is full of failures but there good things you can find underneath all of that.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mu Zeta posted:

The only one I can think of is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was originally a mini series and turned into three movies. Jessicia Jones could definitely use that. With Iron First just delete it.

A specific example I'm thinking of for a 'trim it all down to a single film' is The Quatermass Conclusion. From the wiki:

"From the outset, Euston intended to create two versions of the story; a four-part serial for broadcast on UK television and a 100-minute film, The Quatermass Conclusion, for distribution abroad. While writing the scripts, Kneale was "careful not to pad, because I knew that was the obvious thing, but to write in material which can be removed"" I'm not even sure which version I ended up watching first or where or when.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Das Boot almost kinda fits the mark, but in reverse. It was released as a 150 minute movie, but they filmed so much it got turned into a 300 minute six episode mini series. That then led to both a halfway house director's cut of the movie years later when that became a commonly done thing, and a “full uncut” version which was the mini series with (hilariously) 7 minutes of footage trimmed out.

Annual Prophet
Sep 29, 2007

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Deutschland 83 (a cold war spy drama) is worth a binge.

Also excellent: the original BBC versions of Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People with Alec Guinness.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He who fights shitposters should see to it that he himself does not become a shitposter. And if you gaze for long into an anidavatar, the anidavatar gazes also into you.

The cameo of Patrick Stewart as Karla was a neat surprise.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

I'm watching Babylon 5 and bloody loving it. I watched the first season and then a few episodes of the second - sorely missing Sinclair- and then went back at watched the pilot, The Gathering. I don't get what all the fuss about it is. I think it's perfectly fine, and totally fits with the rest of the show. The only negative standouts for me are Lt. Commander Takashima and maybe Dr. Kyle, as well as the really goofy armor and blaster rifles. It's neat seeing some of the alternative makeups for the Centarii, Mimbari, and Narn, too.

Another thing I like about that show is that since it was made in the nineties, there's still a lot of hope in it. Not everything is horrible and grim, it's not all about self-destruction, the way BSG ended up being. I like the positivity of the show. Plus, Garibaldi kinda looks like a bizarro Bruce Willis.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

The Corgiest Teddybear

Lipstick Apathy

Annual Prophet posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Deutschland 83 (a cold war spy drama) is worth a binge.

Also excellent: the original BBC versions of Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People with Alec Guinness.

Where are those available?

Annual Prophet
Sep 29, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Where are those available?

Deutschland 83 is on Amazon Prime and Hulu I think.

Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People are both on Youtube right now (the free version, not Red). Surprised to see them there; I wound up ordering the discs a while back. No matter what the format, the video quality of both of them is terrible, since they were recorded as analog TV shows. But it's worth enduring: they're great, and you should watch them before they get pulled down.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He who fights shitposters should see to it that he himself does not become a shitposter. And if you gaze for long into an anidavatar, the anidavatar gazes also into you.

Annual Prophet posted:

Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People are both on Youtube right now (the free version, not Red). Surprised to see them there; I wound up ordering the discs a while back. No matter what the format, the video quality of both of them is terrible, since they were recorded as analog TV shows.

The film version from a few years ago, on the other hand, looks loving gorgeous.

Annual Prophet
Sep 29, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The film version from a few years ago, on the other hand, looks loving gorgeous.

It’s good. Very good. But the original is excellent and well worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

I tried an episode of Queer Eye the other night and it's as bright and wholesome and uplifting as all the buzz says it is. The fact that some of the subjects getting a full life makeover are so unexpected makes it compelling viewing and I inhaled the whole first season in a day. I mean, the third episode has an ex-military, NASCAR loving, Trump voting, Georgia cop, and he has five of the gayest dudes in the whole world showing him how to be a better person. And they don't shy away from having a conversation with him about police violence, they go there. It doesn't rely on safe choices at all. Well, apart from Tan's obsession with buttoned shirts with a half-tuck.

The only downside to the show is that every episode has me in bits because it's just too good and pure for this world. If you want a nice wholesome cry when no-one's looking this show will change your life.

Narzack posted:

I'm watching Babylon 5 and bloody loving it. I watched the first season and then a few episodes of the second - sorely missing Sinclair- and then went back at watched the pilot, The Gathering. I don't get what all the fuss about it is. I think it's perfectly fine, and totally fits with the rest of the show. The only negative standouts for me are Lt. Commander Takashima and maybe Dr. Kyle, as well as the really goofy armor and blaster rifles. It's neat seeing some of the alternative makeups for the Centarii, Mimbari, and Narn, too.

Another thing I like about that show is that since it was made in the nineties, there's still a lot of hope in it. Not everything is horrible and grim, it's not all about self-destruction, the way BSG ended up being. I like the positivity of the show. Plus, Garibaldi kinda looks like a bizarro Bruce Willis.

It's still a great show, even though it's creaking with age at this point. Just be warned that the 5th season is kind of blah because they didn't know if they were even getting one, so they had to wrap up the Shadow War stuff in the 4th just in case, then got the extra season anyway. All I remember about it is a lot of dudes with VERY '90s hair standing around. It's that memorable.

I'd be keen for a rewatch, last time I did so was a decade ago. Thing is I think on a rewatch it would be best to skip the filler episodes and have just the Shadow War stuff injected straight into my veins. All the little one-off episodes were fun, once, but on repeat viewing they're just chaff slowing down the bigger arc. It's kind of the opposite problem for DS9, which I'm (after 20 years) finally getting close to finishing. In DS9 I like the little individual eps about a Thing That Happens In Space, but the bigger Dominion War stuff is often dull as hell. B5's big arc is sublime, but the filler eps...

I have to stress, considering you are watching in TYOOL 2018, that back in the day those B5 special effects were loving awesome. Sure they were rendered on a glorified Amiga, and were never exactly photo realistic, but the scale and quantity of exciting space pew pew per episode was unheard of. Clearly you're digging the story anyway, despite the aged effects, but I'll vouch for them being the GOAT back in the mid '90s.

poo poo. I'm definitely going to need to rewatch this again now. drat you.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2018 around 20:03

«358 »