Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, I barely got through S1 of Jessica Jones, there were like 3-4 more episodes than that story required.

I thought S1 was fantastic, but every Marvel Netflix series has 2-4 more episodes than needed per season. Even the Defenders somehow managed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I thought S1 was fantastic, but every Marvel Netflix series has 2-4 more episodes than needed per season. Even the Defenders somehow managed that.

Except for Iron Fist, which had 10 more episodes than needed.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Rocksicles posted:

Impulse on youtube is really cool. It's based on the movie Jumper. But don't hold that against it.

I'm 5 episodes in and it's already way better.

Gave this a go. Took an immediate dislike to the main character, which is a testament to the actress portraying her as a posturing, blundering, annoying teenage girl. The plot sometimes just trails off and leaves things unexplained or unresolved, as if the writers had trouble keeping the very masterfully told sexual assault story line balanced with the fantasy aspect and just lost track of some things or didn't know where they were going.

Still, it is well acted and well produced and certainly worth a watch, but I hope the second series picks up pace and has more dramatic development of the superpower storyline, which only has gotten a bit of exposition at the end of this one.

Edit:

Fartbox posted:

Jessica Jones S1 was also trash but the villain made up for a lot of it

Heed this man, his words are wisdom.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 18, 2018

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

STAC Goat posted:

Its a character trait

Except that Pam, Dwight, Darryl, Toby, Ryan, and numerous guest stars do it all the time too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I know this is really counter to what those Netflix series are supposed to be showing off, but I'd like to see Netflix just attempt a single 2-3 hour 'movie' cut, or trim it all down to 2-3 2 hour movies if you could figure out some satisfying end points for the first installments.

That's not something completely unheard of. I think there's been a few multi-hour minseries that have gotten a 'movie-length' edit made of them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only one I can think of is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was originally a mini series and turned into three movies. Jessicia Jones could definitely use that. With Iron First just delete it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Iron Fist should have been a movie. With a real budget, a martial arts-trained lead (the drunken fighter, Lewis Tan, would have been perfect), and an experienced martial arts movie director, an adaptation of Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist comic could have been one of the all-time greatest action movies.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Unzip and Attack posted:

Except that Pam, Dwight, Darryl, Toby, Ryan, and numerous guest stars do it all the time too.

In the UK version, people do this because they're supposed to being filmed by a crew making a documentary about office life.

Also, in reaction to the dude saying that Brent goes way more over the top at his most cringy moments might be true but overal I found the UK version offers a lot more subtility when looking at, timing,facial expressions and body language. There's an underlying sense of tragedy and human failure which I didn't really experienced in the US version which makes the UK version so great.

I think they're hard to compare because I consider the UK version a brilliant masterpiece in mocking office life, small managers and self-overestimating employees. While the US version struck me as a more lighthearted comedy and love soap about some people at an office. I've seen the US version till about the 5th season or something.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Klaaz posted:

In the UK version, people do this because they're supposed to being filmed by a crew making a documentary about office life.

Also, in reaction to the dude saying that Brent goes way more over the top at his most cringy moments might be true but overal I found the UK version offers a lot more subtility when looking at, timing,facial expressions and body language. There's an underlying sense of tragedy and human failure which I didn't really experienced in the US version which makes the UK version so great.

I think they're hard to compare because I consider the UK version a brilliant masterpiece in mocking office life, small managers and self-overestimating employees. While the US version struck me as a more lighthearted comedy and love soap about some people at an office. I've seen the US version till about the 5th season or something.
The documentary premise is exactly the same in the US version and they actually stuck to it all the way to the end with a really good payoff, even though it became increasingly hard to believe that a crew would film some of these situations.

And also yeah, the main point of the UK version is to be bleak and depressing. The US version has a more positive message where work still sucks and life is full of failures but there good things you can find underneath all of that.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mu Zeta posted:

The only one I can think of is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was originally a mini series and turned into three movies. Jessicia Jones could definitely use that. With Iron First just delete it.

A specific example I'm thinking of for a 'trim it all down to a single film' is The Quatermass Conclusion. From the wiki:

"From the outset, Euston intended to create two versions of the story; a four-part serial for broadcast on UK television and a 100-minute film, The Quatermass Conclusion, for distribution abroad. While writing the scripts, Kneale was "careful not to pad, because I knew that was the obvious thing, but to write in material which can be removed"" I'm not even sure which version I ended up watching first or where or when.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Das Boot almost kinda fits the mark, but in reverse. It was released as a 150 minute movie, but they filmed so much it got turned into a 300 minute six episode mini series. That then led to both a halfway house director's cut of the movie years later when that became a commonly done thing, and a “full uncut” version which was the mini series with (hilariously) 7 minutes of footage trimmed out.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Deutschland 83 (a cold war spy drama) is worth a binge.

Also excellent: the original BBC versions of Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People with Alec Guinness.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The cameo of Patrick Stewart as Karla was a neat surprise.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I'm watching Babylon 5 and bloody loving it. I watched the first season and then a few episodes of the second - sorely missing Sinclair- and then went back at watched the pilot, The Gathering. I don't get what all the fuss about it is. I think it's perfectly fine, and totally fits with the rest of the show. The only negative standouts for me are Lt. Commander Takashima and maybe Dr. Kyle, as well as the really goofy armor and blaster rifles. It's neat seeing some of the alternative makeups for the Centarii, Mimbari, and Narn, too.

Another thing I like about that show is that since it was made in the nineties, there's still a lot of hope in it. Not everything is horrible and grim, it's not all about self-destruction, the way BSG ended up being. I like the positivity of the show. Plus, Garibaldi kinda looks like a bizarro Bruce Willis.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Annual Prophet posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Deutschland 83 (a cold war spy drama) is worth a binge.

Also excellent: the original BBC versions of Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People with Alec Guinness.

Where are those available?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Where are those available?

Deutschland 83 is on Amazon Prime and Hulu I think.

Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People are both on Youtube right now (the free version, not Red). Surprised to see them there; I wound up ordering the discs a while back. No matter what the format, the video quality of both of them is terrible, since they were recorded as analog TV shows. But it's worth enduring: they're great, and you should watch them before they get pulled down.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Annual Prophet posted:

Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People are both on Youtube right now (the free version, not Red). Surprised to see them there; I wound up ordering the discs a while back. No matter what the format, the video quality of both of them is terrible, since they were recorded as analog TV shows.

The film version from a few years ago, on the other hand, looks loving gorgeous.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The film version from a few years ago, on the other hand, looks loving gorgeous.

It’s good. Very good. But the original is excellent and well worth watching.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I tried an episode of Queer Eye the other night and it's as bright and wholesome and uplifting as all the buzz says it is. The fact that some of the subjects getting a full life makeover are so unexpected makes it compelling viewing and I inhaled the whole first season in a day. I mean, the third episode has an ex-military, NASCAR loving, Trump voting, Georgia cop, and he has five of the gayest dudes in the whole world showing him how to be a better person. And they don't shy away from having a conversation with him about police violence, they go there. It doesn't rely on safe choices at all. Well, apart from Tan's obsession with buttoned shirts with a half-tuck.

The only downside to the show is that every episode has me in bits because it's just too good and pure for this world. If you want a nice wholesome cry when no-one's looking this show will change your life.

Narzack posted:

I'm watching Babylon 5 and bloody loving it. I watched the first season and then a few episodes of the second - sorely missing Sinclair- and then went back at watched the pilot, The Gathering. I don't get what all the fuss about it is. I think it's perfectly fine, and totally fits with the rest of the show. The only negative standouts for me are Lt. Commander Takashima and maybe Dr. Kyle, as well as the really goofy armor and blaster rifles. It's neat seeing some of the alternative makeups for the Centarii, Mimbari, and Narn, too.

Another thing I like about that show is that since it was made in the nineties, there's still a lot of hope in it. Not everything is horrible and grim, it's not all about self-destruction, the way BSG ended up being. I like the positivity of the show. Plus, Garibaldi kinda looks like a bizarro Bruce Willis.

It's still a great show, even though it's creaking with age at this point. Just be warned that the 5th season is kind of blah because they didn't know if they were even getting one, so they had to wrap up the Shadow War stuff in the 4th just in case, then got the extra season anyway. All I remember about it is a lot of dudes with VERY '90s hair standing around. It's that memorable.

I'd be keen for a rewatch, last time I did so was a decade ago. Thing is I think on a rewatch it would be best to skip the filler episodes and have just the Shadow War stuff injected straight into my veins. All the little one-off episodes were fun, once, but on repeat viewing they're just chaff slowing down the bigger arc. It's kind of the opposite problem for DS9, which I'm (after 20 years) finally getting close to finishing. In DS9 I like the little individual eps about a Thing That Happens In Space, but the bigger Dominion War stuff is often dull as hell. B5's big arc is sublime, but the filler eps...

I have to stress, considering you are watching in TYOOL 2018, that back in the day those B5 special effects were loving awesome. Sure they were rendered on a glorified Amiga, and were never exactly photo realistic, but the scale and quantity of exciting space pew pew per episode was unheard of. Clearly you're digging the story anyway, despite the aged effects, but I'll vouch for them being the GOAT back in the mid '90s.

poo poo. I'm definitely going to need to rewatch this again now. drat you.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 21, 2018

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Narzack posted:

I think the problem most people had was that it was so stiffly acted. The cast in the pilot is more wooden than a lumber yard. Still, I wouldn't tell anyone to skip it, or the first season. It's valuable context. Sinclair just wasn't especially charismatic as someone to carry a show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just finished Haven. I'm a big Stephen King fan and I watched it when it first came on but lost interest sometime in the 1st or 2nd season when it didn't feel very King-ish at all besides a few forced references now and then. It was mostly just a middle of the road "___ of the week" series which was fine, but didn't hold my interest. Rewatching it the first 2 seasons definitely stay that way with a few "WTF?" twists that are really stretched out and some things that seem clearly poorly thought out or characters that come and go as it seems the writers are trying to figure out what to do. Sometime around the 3rd or 4th season though they kick it into a higher gear and things get weird and much more interesting. Not great or anything, but an interesting enough story that the characters I grew to like over the first couple of seasons keep me engaged with to see where it goes.

I've never read the Colorado Kid - the King book its "based" on - so I have no idea how much of the show was taken from him and how much was just made up by them. But once it gets going it clearly does have a lot of King-ish feels to it. Lots of "careful what you wish for" stuff. Of course the New England town filled with secrets and a large cast of characters. Freaky interdimensional jumping stuff. Amoral antagonists with god like powers. The bittersweet ending that demands sacrifices and heartbreak and faith and love. I could definitely see the rough outline of a King story but I have no idea if it was just stretched out super far and adapted or if they just gradually found the tone with their own story. Probably gonna track the story down for a summer read.

In "watching wrestlers act" Edge is a surprisingly solid actor as he's kicked up to a main role for most of the show. He could probably actually get work if he wanted to. He's as least as good as Batista, although he doesn't have the same cartoonish dimensions that obviously land him roles. Christian is not a good actor. At all. Kurgan smash stuff good. I think that was all the wrestlers I noticed. In non-wrestler casting I really didn't care for the casting of Shatner as the big bad but I really, really enjoyed Colin Ferguson. I was also very annoyed when they killed off Jennifer as I was enjoying her performance a lot.

I don't know what I think of the ending. The final season of all hell breaking loose was a novel approach even if the show's budgetary restraints really failed to full sell what they were talking about. "Oh, we had a guy who made sea monsters who trashed everything but we can't see that because we're running away from this invisible monster right now." All in all I think the season delivered in some ways and didn't in others. The show never really did give -----------Duke-------------- a break but it felt very much like a King character to me. The very ending was a little bit too saccharine and didn't totally make sense but I get it and if I had been watching the whole way through live its probably the kind of ending that would have made me smile.

All in all this wasn't one of those hardcore binges but rather a more casual "palette cleanser" binge that I went to between other stuff. And to that end I was pretty satisfied and there were some really fun moments and elements. And if I finally got some closure because I was always curious as a King fan.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just started Ken Burns' Vietnam documentary. Only one episode in, but it's already heavy to watch. There's a quote from a US soldier that was talking to his mom and telling her he didn't think he was going to make it home. She told him that she spoke to god and that he would be fine because he was special. He told her that every guy's mother thought they were special and that he's been putting pieces of special guys in bags. Christ gently caress, this is going to get worse.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just started Ken Burns' Vietnam documentary. Only one episode in, but it's already heavy to watch. There's a quote from a US soldier that was talking to his mom and telling her he didn't think he was going to make it home. She told him that she spoke to god and that he would be fine because he was special. He told her that every guy's mother thought they were special and that he's been putting pieces of special guys in bags. Christ gently caress, this is going to get worse.

It's the best documentary series I've ever watch and I'm not even American.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Just finished Babylon Berlin. Loved it. The setting of decadent 20's Berlin is super interesting for a police thriller. Give it two episodes; I was mostly confused after the first one but then it hooked me good.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

JayMax posted:

The setting of decadent 20's Berlin is super interesting for a police thriller.

Alright, that premise alone is enough to make me sit up and take interest.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

I tried an episode of Queer Eye the other night and it's as bright and wholesome and uplifting as all the buzz says it is. The fact that some of the subjects getting a full life makeover are so unexpected makes it compelling viewing and I inhaled the whole first season in a day. I mean, the third episode has an ex-military, NASCAR loving, Trump voting, Georgia cop, and he has five of the gayest dudes in the whole world showing him how to be a better person. And they don't shy away from having a conversation with him about police violence, they go there. It doesn't rely on safe choices at all. Well, apart from Tan's obsession with buttoned shirts with a half-tuck.

The only downside to the show is that every episode has me in bits because it's just too good and pure for this world. If you want a nice wholesome cry when no-one's looking this show will change your life.

Yea I started binging this with my wife the other night and it is absolutely fantastic. Was a fan of the original, so I came in skeptical, but I like the new version quite a bit more. It's a really amazing show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone needs to start watching Ken Burns' Vietnam right now. The interviews with the vets on both sides are some of the best I've ever seen.

It's amazing. It may be his best one yet. I had to force myself to stop watching at 3am last night with two episodes to go because I had to work in 4 hours. I'm itching to get home and finish it. I can't praise it enough.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
We just rewatched Rubicon, which held up and is right up there with Terriers with regards to shows I really wish lasted more than a single season. Slow paced, but tight, conspiracy thriller dripping with paranoia. Reminds me of some British spy stuff in that it revels in mundanity of intelligence work. Highly recommended, multiple thumbs up etc (also watch Terriers).

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Gravy Jones posted:

We just rewatched Rubicon, which held up and is right up there with Terriers with regards to shows I really wish lasted more than a single season. Slow paced, but tight, conspiracy thriller dripping with paranoia. Reminds me of some British spy stuff in that it revels in mundanity of intelligence work. Highly recommended, multiple thumbs up etc (also watch Terriers).

Agreed on all points. Did you watch Rubicon on a streaming service? I'd like to see it again.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

pahuyuth posted:

Agreed on all points. Did you watch Rubicon on a streaming service? I'd like to see it again.

No comment :tinfoil:

Turns out Microsoft (of all places) has it for sale in the US though.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Caught up on Westworld series 2. The wonderful reimagening of the original, with its great setting and clever temporal mixing of storylines, now felt like it was struggling to surprise, and shock, with too many "Ah, but you see, what is actually going on is"-moments. It felt a bit convoluted and, especially in the finale, seemed to drag on with its revelations that ultimately all became sort of pointless. I did not feel as invested in the characters or stories as I did before, mainly being put off by, what I felt, was a too heavy emphasis on philosophical and moral debates and a too heavy reliance on the thought that repeating motifs makes for complexity.

Still worth a watch, though, if only for the stunning visuals.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Currently binging Forged In Fire. Trashy reality TV it might be, but watching people make knives and medieval weapons is just really cool.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I’ve been taking in a fully immersive VR version of the prequel to Handmaid’s Tale. It really sucks.
:smith:

fake edit: sorry, it’s been a long day

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
I just watched all of Everything Sucks and i thought it was pretty decent. Kind of reminded me of watching Degrassi back in the day, but what was the deal with the shaky cam? Anyways, thought it was a decent little nostalgic trip if you went to High school in the 90's.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
Oh and i also watched End of the loving world which seemed really cringey when it started but was actually really good. I hope they make another season.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

STAC Goat posted:

I just finished Haven.

The casting of the series villain changed the character to the point where he got a goofy "hey we're all friends now" scene right at the end despite doing counting beyond-vile things before that. Stunt casting gone very wrong.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The last two episodes of Into The Badlands season three are bad and I think the show is now too silly and has too many unlikable characters to continue with.

The big budget war in the badlands is a pointless sideshow where everyone on both sides is a terrible person. If they'd all died maybe the show would be salvageable.

Whoever decided that all the female leads needed a hunky fella for a romance should be fired.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sassassin posted:

The casting of the series villain changed the character to the point where he got a goofy "hey we're all friends now" scene right at the end despite doing counting beyond-vile things before that. Stunt casting gone very wrong.

Yeah, it was just such a bizarre casting decision that seemed to go completely against the tone they were doing for the last couple of seasons. I don't get that at all.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Been watching Supermansion Season 3 and I still have problems with raunchy comedy in this show and the (at this point) generic parody stereotype that almost every superhero satire/parody does.

That being said, I think this season has been 'better' than previous ones, but I think that's in part, too, due to the expanded cast has actually added something new to the stories and situations where we don't have to have a bunch of sex comedy jokes to make a punchline.

It's still a pretty disposable show, though. I barely remembered plot points from the first two years to the point that this season almost feels like a reboot to me.

Despite all that, it surprises me how well a show like Venture Brothers and even Rick and Morty have handled the superhero satire/parody within their own shows and this show and others that are exclusively about superhero stuff just seem to have problems doing it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Meatgrinder posted:

Caught up on Westworld series 2. The wonderful reimagening of the original, with its great setting and clever temporal mixing of storylines, now felt like it was struggling to surprise, and shock, with too many "Ah, but you see, what is actually going on is"-moments. It felt a bit convoluted and, especially in the finale, seemed to drag on with its revelations that ultimately all became sort of pointless. I did not feel as invested in the characters or stories as I did before, mainly being put off by, what I felt, was a too heavy emphasis on philosophical and moral debates and a too heavy reliance on the thought that repeating motifs makes for complexity.

Still worth a watch, though, if only for the stunning visuals.

Yeah, we've been tearing S2 apart in the Westworld thread. I still maintain that Westworld S1 is brilliant and works perfectly as a self-contained story and I can't recommend it enough. Season 2 is a dumb mess but still probably fun enough for a binge watch if you enjoyed season 1.