Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!

Pillbug

I've been watching CW's Nancy Drew. It's a guilty pleasure, dumb supernatural mystery soap opera but I was roped into it. It's interesting how much it feels like they were aiming less for "Nancy Drew mysteries but with real ghosts" and more for "Veronica Mars in overly haunted Maine." Also with covid interruptions the first season got cut from 22 episodes to 18, which you can imagine did great things for a season-long arc mystery show.

There are things I find charming and things I find ridiculous about it, but the crazy thing is how season 2 seems to be moving toward a really weird shared universe with the Bobbsey Twins set up as recurring characters and an upcoming Tom Swift backdoor pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

#essereFerrari

Cactus posted:

Well, poo poo. I'm going to have to watch this now, I loving love mad-watching terrible sci-fi shows. Especially since I'm under lockdown.

I'm still reeling from getting through the entire season of Utopia Falls last year.

I love trash tv and another life is 100% hot garbage. Feels like there's so much wasted potential with the only real redeeming thing is some good music here and there.

Not as bad as the I-land but I can't wait for season 2

sad question
May 30, 2020

Just finished Giri/Haji on Netflix. Phenomenal show all around. Great mix of yakuza crime story and family drama.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Killer robot posted:

I've been watching CW's Nancy Drew. It's a guilty pleasure, dumb supernatural mystery soap opera but I was roped into it. It's interesting how much it feels like they were aiming less for "Nancy Drew mysteries but with real ghosts" and more for "Veronica Mars in overly haunted Maine." Also with covid interruptions the first season got cut from 22 episodes to 18, which you can imagine did great things for a season-long arc mystery show.

There are things I find charming and things I find ridiculous about it, but the crazy thing is how season 2 seems to be moving toward a really weird shared universe with the Bobbsey Twins set up as recurring characters and an upcoming Tom Swift backdoor pilot.

That's cause they're all Stratemeyer Syndicate properties

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

You're not getting another fucking dime from us, Lowtax

WhiteHowler posted:

Another Life is absolutely the worst TV show I've watched in many years.

Season one of "Salvation" is worse. From the "Elon Musk, but attractive" male lead to the "Donald Rumsfeld, but attractive, has plenty of time to leave the office and solve mysteries" to the Q is real and good and will help the secret president take back rightful office" you might forget that the premise involves a planet killing asteroid.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

sad question posted:

Just finished Giri/Haji on Netflix. Phenomenal show all around. Great mix of yakuza crime story and family drama.

I saw this last year, itís great! Phenomenal cast and acting. Only downside is itís a really bleak show and I needed a comedic chaser after finishing it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Season one of "Salvation" is worse. From the "Elon Musk, but attractive" male lead to the "Donald Rumsfeld, but attractive, has plenty of time to leave the office and solve mysteries" to the Q is real and good and will help the secret president take back rightful office" you might forget that the premise involves a planet killing asteroid.

I must've been half-watching that because I don't remember the Q stuff but yeah it was a pretty unremarkable series.

Wow you guys weren't exaggerating about Another Life! Was the dialogue written by a thirteen year old? It's so cringey and everyone is needlessly confrontational and shouty all the time, to the point of being outright psychotic. I don't think I'll be finishing this one either, but I'll see how far I get. It is a curiously bad bit of tv.

In contrast I've also been binging the Magicians and I feel like that is a much more successful attempt at pulling off the whole "all of my characters are unlikeable toxic pieces of poo poo" style of writing while still keeping them somewhat relatable and interesting to watch.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I envy people who get to watch the Magicians for the first time. Just an amazing transition from "eh, it's on" to "I will die for these mumbly twenty-somethings."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

#essereFerrari

I gave it a try but it far overshot "so bad it's good" and circled back to "no it's actually just bad"

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Once, just once, I want to be watching a show where most of the cast is killed off in the 4th or 5th episode and it doesn't turn out to be just a dream.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!

Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

That's cause they're all Stratemeyer Syndicate properties

I mean it makes sense on that level. It just feels weird.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...

Grimey Drawer

sad question posted:

I loved this too. I like that it wasn't just fish-out-of-water situations but really felt like good attempts at Japanese crime and brit cop dramas combined into one series, and I remember there being some cool almost fantastical interludes too.

I envy people who get to watch the Magicians for the first time. Just an amazing transition from "eh, it's on" to "I will die for these mumbly twenty-somethings."

When is this supposed to happen? I'm a few eps into S2.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Looten Plunder posted:

"I am Uthred son of Uthred"

I am OOT RED son of OOT RED

Norse Code
Mar 9, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

I've been making my way through Portrait Artist of the Year which is just an incredibly cool british competition show where each episode, artists paint portraits of 3 different celebrity/famous sitters/guests. Kind of hard to find, but some seasons are on Youtube. Worth it! It makes me want to paint!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

BetterLekNextTime posted:

When is this supposed to happen? I'm a few eps into S2.

They start really going off the books at the end of season 2 and things are about to pop off. Look for the new tone to really take off once Elliot starts singing.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

They start really going off the books at the end of season 2 and things are about to pop off. Look for the new tone to really take off once Elliot starts singing.

Although I fast forwarded through the song because I hate musical numbers presented in that style, it was around mid-season 2 where I started to actually like some of the characters. Mostly Julia and Margot.

Penny can gently caress right off with his constant emo "I'm so above everything you're all doing" poo poo. Gets really old. I'm midway through S3 now and a certain thing happened to that character which I'm hoping starts them on an arc that fixes this.

(No plot spoilers here, just character ones.)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

On the back half of season 2 the Quentin and friends show starts morphing into the full ensemble and the show is massively better for it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...

Grimey Drawer

Cool, I'll keep going then.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cactus posted:

I'm midway through S3 now and a certain thing happened to that character which I'm hoping starts them on an arc that fixes this.

Uhh. Don't get your hopes up. Pretty much everything to do with the Underworld Library ends up as a dropped plot point.

Season Four drops a loooot of balls.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

How would people rank the seasons you think? Curious if 4 is worse than 3 or not.

I think 4 was the worst season of Fargo, but still decent. IMO 3 is slow to get out of the gate but I ended up really enjoying it.