Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Vice Principals is crazy good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I always ignored those shows because I thought Danny McBride was a one-trick pony -- a loud, obnoxious, stupid jackass, from movies like Hot Rod and Pineapple Express. I didn't think I would enjoy whole shows like that, but my wife and I are loving Righteous Gemstones. We'll definitely try Vice Principals next, since we loved Walton Goggins on Justified.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Been working my way through Banshee based on some talk earlier in this thread, on s2e5 right now.

I’m way more invested in this “idiot big fish in small pond lie and murder each other” show than I expected. Antony Starr is so drat good with the barely contained rage facial expressions, there’s like a dozen times in each episode I’m sure he’s going to snap on someone he shouldn’t.

But instead he just keeps on making the idiot choice to stay, and it keeps on teetering on all blowing up.

What’s a similar series I can pick up after? Mainly looking great visceral action scenes and flawed characters.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Slothful Bong posted:

Been working my way through Banshee based on some talk earlier in this thread, on s2e5 right now.

I’m way more invested in this “idiot big fish in small pond lie and murder each other” show than I expected. Antony Starr is so drat good with the barely contained rage facial expressions, there’s like a dozen times in each episode I’m sure he’s going to snap on someone he shouldn’t.

But instead he just keeps on making the idiot choice to stay, and it keeps on teetering on all blowing up.

What’s a similar series I can pick up after? Mainly looking great visceral action scenes and flawed characters.

Banshee is loving and fighting. Amazon's Reacher is frenching and fighting.

I also hear good things about HBO's Warrior.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Slothful Bong posted:

Warrior is made by the same people. The Boys has Starr in a brilliant role and pretty raw fights/gore. I feel like I'm missing some, might think of it later.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Spartacus, if you haven’t seen that, though be aware the first 3 episodes of the first season are bad before starting to jump massively in quality.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Dave Angel posted:

Spartacus, if you haven’t seen that, though be aware the first 3 episodes of the first season are bad before starting to jump massively in quality.

I'd say you have to watch through the episode Shadow Games to really get hooked with Spartacus. That's the exact episode when everything comes together and the rest of the series onward (with maybe one or two clunky episodes here and there) keeps the stakes/intrigue up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I always ignored those shows because I thought Danny McBride was a one-trick pony -- a loud, obnoxious, stupid jackass, from movies like Hot Rod and Pineapple Express. I didn't think I would enjoy whole shows like that, but my wife and I are loving Righteous Gemstones. We'll definitely try Vice Principals next, since we loved Walton Goggins on Justified.

His own shows play on that type of character in really interesting ways.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I went through Reservation Dogs yesterday. Cool show. Some episodes where definitely better than others. It's weird that the main actress of that 17 year old is just barely younger than me, but that's just how that works, I guess. She acts well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Slothful Bong posted:

Warrior (HBO Max) -- from the same showrunner as Banshee, and the guy who plays Job on Banshee is awesome in it too. Incredible fight choreography and just general badassery.
Justified (FX/Hulu) -- another show full of small town criminals with delusions of grandeur and a badass lawman keeping them in check; much better writing than Banshee, and two outstanding leads.
Reacher (Amazon Prime Video) -- kind of like "Banshee Lite," but still fun.
Jett (HBO Max) -- a gritty crime show with a cool, competent, capable female antihero protagonist, surrounded by psychos.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Ooh hell yeah thank you all! This is a solid couple months of shows at my rate of watching. And it also reminded me I never finished Kingdom or Into the Badlands, so I gotta add those to the list too!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Slothful Bong posted:

Ooh hell yeah thank you all! This is a solid couple months of shows at my rate of watching. And it also reminded me I never finished Kingdom or Into the Badlands, so I gotta add those to the list too!

You said:

Slothful Bong posted:

Antony Starr is so drat good with the barely contained rage facial expressions, there’s like a dozen times in each episode I’m sure he’s going to snap on someone he shouldn’t.
Since this is part of Banshee's appeal, you may also appreciate Deadwood, a Western series from HBO that is usually considered one of the greatest shows of all time. It's not a straight-ahead action show like Banshee -- more of a drama about how a civilization is created from nothing -- but there are certainly violent and exciting parts. The lead, played by Timothy Olyphant (who also plays the lead in Justified, which came out after Deadwood) can be described exactly the way you described Starr's character on Banshee. Just pure, barely restrained anger in human form, but ultimately an honorable man.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

You said:

Since this is part of Banshee's appeal, you may also appreciate Deadwood, a Western series from HBO that is usually considered one of the greatest shows of all time. It's not a straight-ahead action show like Banshee -- more of a drama about how a civilization is created from nothing -- but there are certainly violent and exciting parts. The lead, played by Timothy Olyphant (who also plays the lead in Justified, which came out after Deadwood) can be described exactly the way you described Starr's character on Banshee. Just pure, barely restrained anger in human form, but ultimately an honorable man.

Also Deadwood was wrapped up pretty beautifully more than a decade later with the movie. It's a great finale to the show and I think it had some of the best final scenes of any show that I've seen.

Just a really good series from beginning to end. Makes me hopeful the rebooted Party Down will also be really good.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Coincidentally I am rewatching Deadwood after many years and am really enjoying it. I remember watching it years ago and being somewhat confused by the dialogue but now it's super easy to follow so maybe I'm just not as dumb as I was back then haha.

Ian mcshane gives one of the all-time great performances, and the supporting cast is just solid. Brad Dourif is particularly outstanding.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warrior (HBO Max) -- from the same showrunner as Banshee, and the guy who plays Job on Banshee is awesome in it too. Incredible fight choreography and just general badassery.
Justified (FX/Hulu) -- another show full of small town criminals with delusions of grandeur and a badass lawman keeping them in check; much better writing than Banshee, and two outstanding leads.
Jett (HBO Max) -- a gritty crime show with a cool, competent, capable female antihero protagonist, surrounded by psychos.

I haven’t seen Reacher but the other three shows on here are really good

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am very jealous of someone watching Deadwood for the first time.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

If you are enjoying The Righteous Gemstones....and already love Walton Goggins....then you really have to check out Vice Principals. Goggins is fantastic and so is the entire show.

McBride's character, Kenny Powers, in Eastbound & Down.....is the obnoxious, stupid jackass to which you refer. One of the funniest shows of all time if you can handle the stupidity.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Slothful Bong posted:

Gangs of London 🔪

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Coincidentally I am rewatching Deadwood after many years and am really enjoying it. I remember watching it years ago and being somewhat confused by the dialogue but now it's super easy to follow so maybe I'm just not as dumb as I was back then haha.

I love Deadwood's writing but I have to admit that even to this day, after countless viewings, I still watch it with the subtitles enabled. I've seen its dialogue described as "King Jamesian" and I feel like that's pretty accurate.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Jett is good

shame we only got one season - as criminal as only getting one season of Quarry, which is also badass

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

watching through two korean shows

Cheer Up and The Shadow Detective

Both have been enjoyable for different reasons.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

On season 2 of mindhunter. I hadn’t even heard of it until I saw a tweet about it the other week. Might be the best Netflix original I’ve seen. Very much has the mark of a David fincher film. Can’t believe there’s not more of it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh my god this Wizard of Oz episode of A League Of Their Own.

Absolutely a crime this show hasn't been renewed yet, and I'm partly to blame for sitting on it for so long. But if you like sports dramas, queer dramas, comedy dramas or just, you know, dramas, I'd highly recommend this show.

Also it's a good show if you liked GLOW.

Also just watch it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Show’s a banger, watch it if you like baseball and 1940s-set comedy and gay women

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Show’s a banger, watch it if you like baseball and 1940s-set comedy and gay women

And total smokeshow D'arcy Carden.

isaboo posted:

Jett is good

shame we only got one season - as criminal as only getting one season of Quarry, which is also badass

I wish Quarry was on HBO Max. Sounds like something I'd like a lot.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I just wanted to add that Justified is packed with incredible supporting performances as well. Margo Martindale won an Emmy for her work as season two's big bad (much deserved, she was brilliant and terrifying), but the regulars are incredible as well. There's three or four characters that have enough depth that they could carry their own show.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

On season 2 of mindhunter. I hadn’t even heard of it until I saw a tweet about it the other week. Might be the best Netflix original I’ve seen. Very much has the mark of a David fincher film. Can’t believe there’s not more of it.

I thought the detective’s personal life drama stuff was godawful and I can still hardly believe they were part of such a good mystery/thriller show. I skipped all the personal storylines for my rewatch and it was just sooooo much better.

I never advocate skipping scenes/things in movies or tv shows, but those were so disconnected to anything else going on that I really don’t think anything of worth is lost by skipping them.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Thr wife and I just started The Mole reboot on Netflix and we'll probably be finished by Monday. We both loved that show on ABC back in the early aughts

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It’s a very well made show! Also hilarious that the young fbi guy is actually Agent Smith ugh what a poo poo movie.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

watching through two korean shows

Cheer Up and The Shadow Detective

Both have been enjoyable for different reasons.

I’m a complete noob regarding Korean media (haven’t even watched more than 1 ep of Squid Game) but I somehow got onto Glitch on Netflix and I’m maybe half-way through. If the twist is what I think it is that she’s crazy and the new friend is just her alter ego/personality brought on by her childhood trauma and substance abuse , it’s not going to be surprising but it’s got a lot of funny parts and I’ll keep watching.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I’m a complete noob regarding Korean media (haven’t even watched more than 1 ep of Squid Game) but I somehow got onto Glitch on Netflix and I’m maybe half-way through. If the twist is what I think it is that she’s crazy and the new friend is just her alter ego/personality brought on by her childhood trauma and substance abuse , it’s not going to be surprising but it’s got a lot of funny parts and I’ll keep watching.

I’m thinking that the spoiled part may be the case for The Shadow Detective though it’s origin is from a different place.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I am extremely sorry to report Glitch falls off a cliff in the 3rd season. They were very obviously informed they had one season to wrap! This! poo poo! Up! and wound up dropping characters, plot threads, and half-baked answers all over the place.

The first 2 seasons were very good, though!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

I am extremely sorry to report Glitch falls off a cliff in the 3rd season. They were very obviously informed they had one season to wrap! This! poo poo! Up! and wound up dropping characters, plot threads, and half-baked answers all over the place.

The first 2 seasons were very good, though!

Are you talking about the Australian Glitch? Agree, first season was best and I didn’t even finish Season 3.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If u like Korean shows on Netflix watch EXTRACURRICULAR

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Nuts and Gum posted:

It’s a very well made show! Also hilarious that the young fbi guy is actually Agent Smith ugh what a poo poo movie.

And the original King George in Hamilton on Broadway, which you can see on Disney+.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Oenis posted:

Mole: Yeah, it was either Joi was the mole, or just inhuman levels of incompetency for her. I would've given her the benefit of the doubt and pinned her as the obvious mole 100%. Also how was she not eliminated when towards the end she was so convinced that Will was the mole?

Mole: I read an interview with those contestants where she made her final judgement call because she thought (and so did Avori) that Sandy had previously gone all-in on Kesi and was eliminated, therefore it influenced their final decision to be not-Kesi. (Turns out Sandy went all-in on Avori on her own elimination)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elite is fantastic if you're okay with subtitles. Just finished Season 1 and it reminded me of Skins, but with a ~murder~

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Are you talking about the Australian Glitch? Agree, first season was best and I didn’t even finish Season 3.

OH. Yeah, I didn't realize there was another version.
Whoops!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

OH. Yeah, I didn't realize there was another version.
Whoops!

In case it's not clear it's a totally different show and not a remake. The Korean one is about a young woman who believes she sees aliens and that they kidnapped her boyfriend, so she enlists the help of a long lost childhood friend to investigate.

Last night I finished The Bastard Son and the Devil Himself on Netflix. This is a contemporary supernatural coming of age story set mostly in England and France. I actually thought it was pretty good at least compared to other shows in the genre. Most of these shows either revel in some super-opulent rich kids society and/or lean way into teen melodrama. It's not that there's none of this in The Bastard Son but it's toned down and is more of a quest/journey. It probably spends a little too much time giving backstory to everything and I don't think the ending is very surprising but it stays interesting by hitting different locals and getting different glimpses of witch society as the season spins out. The magic logic is not always 100% like there's a dude who can freeze time and the people who are frozen stay frozen when he dies, but later on someone else uses this power and it breaks when he's stabbed , and it doesn't really dwell too much on most of the powers anyway, although one of the main characters Annalise has a pretty bad-rear end one 'decimation', which basically separates things into their component parts, and it looks pretty wild when it happens to people .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sad question
May 30, 2020

Slothful Bong posted:

I would add Black Sails to other suggestions.