Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Robobot posted:

Silicon Valley never resonated with me past the first season, but I kept watching hoping it would hit those highs again. It just seemed like a regular ol' sitcom only they said "gently caress" in it.

I did like Gabe though.

Really? I loved the entire run.

WhiteHowler posted:

drat. I hadn't heard about that and just looked it up. Sounds like he got handsy with women at a club, more than once.

It's a shame. I'd enjoyed his stuff, especially the improv shows with Ben Schwartz.

Hadn't heard about that one. The story that I found to be particularly odd is how he got married and then afterwards told his new wife that he wanted an open marriage. Or it was something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just finished F is for Family.

I enjoyed it having grown up watching numerous 70s sitcoms.

I got a kick out of the excessive levels of swearing. I don't why I think it's funny hearing children cuss like drunken sailors, but I did in this case.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 13, 2024

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Watching Loudermilk on Netflix. I'm enjoying it as it's the first show in recent memory that goes from making me mad enough to punch someone to making me literally laugh out loud.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The Bear (2nd season) : lost focus, did a hard skid into course correcting with the Christmas dinner episode, got me back on its side with "Forks" and then pulled another heavy-handed finale with the Friends and Family dinner service going awry. This time, unlike the season 1 debacle, they actually showed how they got out of the weeds and - in the moment that had me really reality-testing, they fired the cook who was doing crystal meth. (If you've worked in a kitchen, there are usually more than one person on some sort of speed and/or cocaine). Also, walk-ins, at least the ones I've been inside of, have a handle on the inside so you can't get locked out. Maybe things have changed since I was in a kitchen, but c'mon.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

They didn’t fire him because he was on meth as such, they fired him because he was AWOL (doing meth) in the middle of service. Totally warranted imo.

I have been in one walk in that you couldn’t open from inside, which led to much pranking

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

They didn’t fire him because he was on meth as such, they fired him because he was AWOL (doing meth) in the middle of service. Totally warranted imo.

I have been in one walk in that you couldn’t open from inside, which led to much pranking

fair point on being AWOL during service, especially on a soft open

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Finished Warrior. An all time fav. Hope Netflix gives it a final season someday.

Is Black Sails a good watch? I'm in the mood for more pseudo historical actiony grime and looks about right.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Ceramics posted:

Finished Warrior. An all time fav. Hope Netflix gives it a final season someday.

Is Black Sails a good watch? I'm in the mood for more pseudo historical actiony grime and looks about right.

I remember it as riveting, with intrigue, action and drama coated in a good layer of pseudohistorical swashbuckling. Ramps up quite nicely and sticks the landing.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Ceramics posted:

Warrior was/is an HBOMax show. And they just did a third season that ended less than half a year ago. Or are you saying that HBOMax canceled it?

Also.......'Black Sails' was good and absolutely fits that description.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Warrior was/is an HBOMax show. And they just did a third season that ended less than half a year ago. Or are you saying that HBOMax canceled it?

Also.......'Black Sails' was good and absolutely fits that description.

It was a Cinemax show, then HBO Max revived it and made a third season, canceled it a couple months ago.

But immediately after cancellation Netflix picked up the streaming rights so I’m just hoping they give it one final season sometime.

Will start Black Sails tonight :D .

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Ceramics posted:

It was a Cinemax show, then HBO Max revived it and made a third season, canceled it a couple months ago.

But immediately after cancellation Netflix picked up the streaming rights so I’m just hoping they give it one final season sometime.

Got it. I didn't realize that HBO had officially decided to cancel it. Yeah....hopefully Netflix picks up another season or two. It's been a while since they've had anything that I've cared to watch.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Just wanted to say a big hearty gently caress you Amazon for adding commercials to prime.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Just wanted to say a big hearty gently caress you Amazon for adding commercials to prime.

I've voted with my wallet and cancelled the membership in protest even though it was worthwhile for shipping. Protest pirating.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

In the last few weeks I think I've half-watched all the English-speaking complete Traitors seasons (US1, UK1&2, Aus1&2). The Aus Season 2 was just mind-boggling how dumb people were. Every episode, new lows. But the ending. Holy lol. A++ would recommend.

This really has been a good one to "watch" (listen to, really) on my phone while I am working on a boring project. You hardly ever really have to look at the screen. I need more shows like that.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Looking for easy lunch shows so I started Upload, which has been decent so far. I just finished s2 and it feels like they are getting away from the breezy fun and too into the Dramatic Plot, but we will see. In general it’s a bit cheesy but enjoyable.

Also just started Ghosts, which seems like it has a similar tone. I like Rose McIver so I am going to try it for a bit, in general it is an easy and enjoyable watch so far, but I am just a few episodes in.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I'm watching in horrified fascination a Japanese show The Silent Service on Prime.
It's like a live action Ace Combat show which features surface and underwater warships of various types that look like the real thing but are not constrained by any real world limits. If ship A is much faster than B and has a 24 hour head start, B will be next to A in the next scene.
All combat takes place in visual range, even between submarines under water. Countries go to the brink of war three times a day. Everyone is insane.

The basic plot is that Japan and the US have developed a nuclear super sub in secret whose captain instantly goes rogue and declares himself the Sovereign Nation Of Yamato. Everyone gets mad but is powerless against the genius captain who anticipates every move.
Every Japanese actor plays it 100% straight while the large American cast seems to be mostly amateurs who ham it up to crazy levels. One of the few names I recognized was Aleks Paunovic from dozens of Canadian shows who plays the admiral leading the Seventh Fleet and who always wears huge dark aviators inside.
Takao Osawa who plays the rogue captain is doing his best to seem menacing but his seemingly phonetically delivered English lines make him unintentionally hilarious.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Ceramics posted:

It's one of my absolute favorite shows. Like, I'd leave parties or bars to go home and watch it as it aired. There hasn't been a show since that's had me doing that.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Ishamael posted:

Also just started Ghosts, which seems like it has a similar tone. I like Rose McIver so I am going to try it for a bit, in general it is an easy and enjoyable watch so far, but I am just a few episodes in.

I haven’t seen any of the new season but yeah, it’s pretty good especially once they establish the characters and can tone down the one-note jokes a bit. As was recommended to me in this very thread a couple of years ago, make sure you catch the BBC (original) version of the show at some point because it is amazing.

We’re into the 2nd season of Fargo and it’s pretty impressive how well the creators took the feel of the movie, threw it in a blender, and can tell new stories out of it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I haven’t seen any of the new season

Season 3 starts tonight so no one has haha

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Been watching Dave and just hit the season 2 finale. After watching the first episode of season 1 I could never fathom that this show would bring me to tears during the season 2 finale. The way they did the reveal at the end was amazing and just knocked this show way up my list. I had to rewatch it the next day. drat.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

pumped up for school posted:

In the last few weeks I think I've half-watched all the English-speaking complete Traitors seasons (US1, UK1&2, Aus1&2). The Aus Season 2 was just mind-boggling how dumb people were. Every episode, new lows. But the ending. Holy lol. A++ would recommend.

This really has been a good one to "watch" (listen to, really) on my phone while I am working on a boring project. You hardly ever really have to look at the screen. I need more shows like that.

Oh, I didn't know the UK and AUS season twos were out. We've watched all the first seasons and really enjoy it. Seeing how bad people are at detecting liars is hilarious. S1 of the UK version has one of the most satisfying endings ever for a reality/game show. I have to say, I was baffled at how easily men from the UK will break down in tears.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Oh, I didn't know the UK and AUS season twos were out. We've watched all the first seasons and really enjoy it. Seeing how bad people are at detecting liars is hilarious. S1 of the UK version has one of the most satisfying endings ever for a reality/game show. I have to say, I was baffled at how easily men from the UK will break down in tears.

Lol the ending moments of the UK S1, they're walking up the stairs and the host is like "can you stop cursing for 5 minutes we're trying to have a closing shot here."

Probably because I was listening to ~4-5 episodes a day, but the soundtrack for UK S2 set my teeth to grind. "Breathy vocalist covers popular songs from X decade." It got really old.

Found out there's a NZ season as well! So another one for the pile. If it is anything like other NZ adaptations I've watched it'll have twice as many players duking it out for a $75 Applebees gift card and playing just as hard.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

Been watching Dave and just hit the season 2 finale. After watching the first episode of season 1 I could never fathom that this show would bring me to tears during the season 2 finale. The way they did the reveal at the end was amazing and just knocked this show way up my list. I had to rewatch it the next day. drat.

The second and third seasons are such a step up over the first season (which isn't bad *at all*). Great loving show -- don't hold your breath waiting for an ending though.

The second episode from the third season is an all time standalone IMO.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 16, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Finished off the last half of final season of How to with John Wilson. I can respect why he is stopping now but I will miss these journeys. Reminds me of a meandering conversation or thought process where you end up 50 topics away from where you started but the thread between them is clear while you're part of it. I really appreciated the peeks into so many unique people with... stuff going on that I never considered being a thing that was a thing. I'm not sure how to phrase it, like, observational comedy without the judgement or using "common sense" as a cudgel, or without any feeling the person making the observations believes themselves superior or more clever than their subjects. There's a lot of listening and watching, trying to understand/empathize/relate, and even when that effort results in very much not relating, he still finds a lateral way to relate anyway.

I'm very grateful they did not get any footage of the last fella's youthful misadventures with self-surgery. Between the goat man and the foreskin stretcher from How to Cover Your Furniture I think I'm at capacity for "unforgettable images of genital experiment.". Everything at the cryonics place was a bummer, what a grift and super fascinating/tragic/surreal glimpse of their internal culture and sales pressure.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

pumped up for school posted:

Found out there's a NZ season as well! So another one for the pile. If it is anything like other NZ adaptations I've watched it'll have twice as many players duking it out for a $75 Applebees gift card and playing just as hard.

i don't believe we have applebees in nz but otoh i don't think that makes it any less plausible

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

nate fisher posted:

3rd season is probably the best so far IMO.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The gulf in quality between Lil Dicky’s music and his show is loving absurd

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Whoever recommended The Undeclared War and The Capture deserves a medal. Just finished watching both of these and they are absolute bangers. Very satisfying to watch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh my days Sweet Home Season Two.

This poo poo is demented.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I watched a mini about the British Post Office scandal, Mr Bates vs The Post Office. Had not heard about the scandal at all so it was pretty interesting. Literally destroyed lives for no reason.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

Is/was there ever a Dave thread? I’ve come to trust the opinions in here so I was giving it another shot after bouncing off of the first season - wasn’t really feeling an extremely average white man talking about his hosed up dick, get a lot of that just like in normal life. It’s funny though, my friend is a musician and has performed with Dave/Lil Dickey before (I think they still do when they are in the same city) so it’s kind of a through the looking glass experience watching this. Anyway I binged the first two seasons while stuck inside with covid and I do actually like it now.

Covid also catalyzed me trying out Death and other details and gently caress do I hate this show. I think I watched four or five episodes and I just hate everyone (except Mandy Patkin? (not googling how to spell that)) on it. Everyone is so unbearably smug. There is not a single sympathetic character on the show. I know they were shooting for fiery girlboss yassqueen with a drive for truth because of her tragic backstory for the main character but instead she’s coming off as a headstrong arrogant coddled socialite with absolutely unearned confidence. They also gave her distracting lego hair for some reason. It is watchable as a show though so tbqh I’ll probably finish it while I’m trapped in quarantine.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

matureaudiencesonly posted:

Is/was there ever a Dave thread?

Not to my knowledge. Just some goons posting scattered thoughts in the various Chat Threads / this thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mostly enjoyed Dave season 1 (obviously the main “weird dick” episode is an abomination) but seasons 2 and 3 are so much better.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

CeeJee posted:

I'm watching in horrified fascination a Japanese show The Silent Service on Prime.
It's like a live action Ace Combat show which features surface and underwater warships of various types that look like the real thing but are not constrained by any real world limits. If ship A is much faster than B and has a 24 hour head start, B will be next to A in the next scene.
All combat takes place in visual range, even between submarines under water. Countries go to the brink of war three times a day. Everyone is insane.

The basic plot is that Japan and the US have developed a nuclear super sub in secret whose captain instantly goes rogue and declares himself the Sovereign Nation Of Yamato. Everyone gets mad but is powerless against the genius captain who anticipates every move.
Every Japanese actor plays it 100% straight while the large American cast seems to be mostly amateurs who ham it up to crazy levels. One of the few names I recognized was Aleks Paunovic from dozens of Canadian shows who plays the admiral leading the Seventh Fleet and who always wears huge dark aviators inside.
Takao Osawa who plays the rogue captain is doing his best to seem menacing but his seemingly phonetically delivered English lines make him unintentionally hilarious.

Oh hell yes, this one is be based on the 90s-era OVA right? I loved that one

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Been watching Mr & Mrs Smith. 4 episodes in, and it's really neat.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m finally watching euphoria and wow, this is wild. I was not expecting to be so enthralled.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

remigious posted:

I’m finally watching euphoria and wow, this is wild. I was not expecting to be so enthralled.

Most impressive part IMHO was the soundtrack, some interesting bangers in there - MAN the dealer looked like Mac Miller too.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

True Detective : Night Country - this didn't need to be a TD show, could have stood well on its own as just Night Country and dropped the TD references, made Fiona Shaw's character not related... As it is, it's a solid creepy thriller with a great cast and a solid hook.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Mako Mermaids: an H20 Adventure - A human beachboy gets you exiled from your mermaid society, repeatedly threatens to expose your secret identity, and repeatedly risks the destruction of your entire race by stealing a magical artifact. Do you:

A) Kill him (i.e., the thing mermaids are most famous for right after having tails and boobs).
B) Use your mermaid superpowers to render him harmless.
C) Hide the magical artifact in a location that he doesn't know about and cannot readily access.
D) Beat the poo poo out of him, then kill him.
E) Make whiny, ineffective pleas at him to not betray your trust, and also pursue a singing career on the side.

Yeah, I know there wouldn't be a second episode if anyone behaved rationally, and this is a show for kids so they probably can't openly promote violence as a solution to problems, but this is promoting learned helplessness instead. I haven't seen so little agency in female characters outside of gothic novels. Also the mer-suits are some lovecraftian body horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Buttchocks posted:

Mako Mermaids: an H20 Adventure - A human beachboy gets you exiled from your mermaid society, repeatedly threatens to expose your secret identity, and repeatedly risks the destruction of your entire race by stealing a magical artifact. Do you:

A) Kill him (i.e., the thing mermaids are most famous for right after having tails and boobs).
B) Use your mermaid superpowers to render him harmless.
C) Hide the magical artifact in a location that he doesn't know about and cannot readily access.
D) Beat the poo poo out of him, then kill him.
E) Make whiny, ineffective pleas at him to not betray your trust, and also pursue a singing career on the side.

Yeah, I know there wouldn't be a second episode if anyone behaved rationally, and this is a show for kids so they probably can't openly promote violence as a solution to problems, but this is promoting learned helplessness instead. I haven't seen so little agency in female characters outside of gothic novels. Also the mer-suits are some lovecraftian body horror.

Feed him to your Tiger Shark friend. It's a victimless crime.