Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

film_critic
Jul 23, 2007

We don't go dancing at the club with babies. We go baby clubbing.
My girlfriend and I have been binging through OZ recently. Its a pretty brutal watch, and I'm amazed at what they were able to air on HBO in the late 90's. The violence and nudity is on par or more graphic then almost any show on right now (except spartacus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!
Trying to watch Luck it's painful but I'm trying, has anyone got through it?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just finished the second season of Breaking Bad, and last month I had finished catching up on Mad Men just in time for the premiere last night.

It's been kind of weird, actually. While watching MM on an individual episode basis, I found myself entertained but never really blown away except for a few exceptions (such as the season 3 finale). But by the time I was caught up and looked back, I felt I had a greater appreciation for the work as a whole. Really great stuff.

BB, on the other hand, I would enjoy individual episodes a great deal, but looking back at it now I can't help but feel it hasn't quite pulled it off perfectly as a whole. To be blunt, I think there are moments where it feels a bit contrived and not written terribly well. Perhaps "unsubtle" is the term I would use. Still very entertaining, and I look forward to hopefully getting caught up before it comes back as well.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I just plowed through Community, and will now do my duty to make sure that it stays on the air.

I have been thinking of rewatching Heroes. I should qualify that I watched season one as episodes released and stopped one or two episodes into season 2, when it was evident that nobody on the staff had any clue how they made season 1 good.

Should I go through the rest of the seasons? Can someone suggest a similar show?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I just plowed through Community, and will now do my duty to make sure that it stays on the air.

I have been thinking of rewatching Heroes. I should qualify that I watched season one as episodes released and stopped one or two episodes into season 2, when it was evident that nobody on the staff had any clue how they made season 1 good.

Should I go through the rest of the seasons? Can someone suggest a similar show?

Heroes only gets worse. Misfits is similar and awesome

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Heroes only gets worse. Misfits is similar and awesome

Both of these statements are very true. Misfits is great at taking concepts that should be absolutely terrible and turning them into something that ranges between "hey that wasn't bad" and "holy poo poo".

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, definitely seconding the two posts above mine. Heroes never reaches the greatness that season one was, so you should really just watch Misfits, as that was very good all-round. (only problem - if you can call it that - is that the seasons are much shorter, as it's British-made)

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

MOAR posted:

Trying to watch Luck it's painful but I'm trying, has anyone got through it?

I was lukewarm on the pilot. It has a style to it that's Milch as gently caress at times, but one goon put my feelings best when he said something like, "It's like Deadwood with it's complex dialogue, but unlike that show, when I bothered to unpack what they were saying there wasn't any payoff." So good luck trying to parse horse race jargon and everything else and not really take away anything nice from it!x

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I just finished the second season of Breaking Bad, and last month I had finished catching up on Mad Men just in time for the premiere last night.

It's been kind of weird, actually. While watching MM on an individual episode basis, I found myself entertained but never really blown away except for a few exceptions (such as the season 3 finale). But by the time I was caught up and looked back, I felt I had a greater appreciation for the work as a whole. Really great stuff.

BB, on the other hand, I would enjoy individual episodes a great deal, but looking back at it now I can't help but feel it hasn't quite pulled it off perfectly as a whole. To be blunt, I think there are moments where it feels a bit contrived and not written terribly well. Perhaps "unsubtle" is the term I would use. Still very entertaining, and I look forward to hopefully getting caught up before it comes back as well.

I felt mostly the same - I would go so far as to say I didn't like the majority of the first season. It was really cheesy, as was some of the Tuco stuff in season 2. But I think by the end of season 2 and even moreso in season 3 they really nail down the tone of the show. There's still some black comedy and some crazy stuff but they don't interfere with the drama like they did in the first season and a half or so. It's just a more taut and focused show.

I really think the introduction of Bob Odenkirk's character was the turning point of the show, but I'm the biggest Mr. Show fan on the planet so I'm a tiny bit biased.

e: I also feel the opposite about Mad Men - I really like it when I'm watching it but it just never has left that much of an impression on me. It's a great show don't get me wrong, I just feel like it's a show made for someone who isn't me.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 27, 2012

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just got through Game of Thrones Season 1. It probably has one of the best set designs and costuming that i've seen in a tv show. A lot of the characters are annoying but I guess a show about a bunch of nobles bickering would have a lot of characters that fall of the hubris side of things. The finale episodes of the season were intense so I'm interested in seeing what they do with season 2. Definitely would recommend.

stakarVN
Mar 22, 2012
How about some gems from the past ? I still now and then like to watch an episode of copshow NYPD Blue. It was then said to be the first tv-show to have an mtv-style camera perspective. Filmed from the shoulder, as if you were there. It also displayed policemen as real people, focusing on their attitude and worries, while they handled cases. With as cherry on the cake, in the leading role the most humane tv-character ever in my opininion, Andy Sipowicz played by Dennis Franz. He gave face to an ever evolving flawed man, who wants to do better. With 12 seasons (from 1993 to 2005 !!), you get to witness every part of his voyage. And even if you watch one season every two days, you'll hardly have time to shower in that month.

It's precursor was Hill Street Blues (1981-1986), as show i thought would be more dated, but I was surprised when I started watching it a few months back. Focussing more on the life in the policestation then what happens on the streets, you really get to know the characters. "Hey man, all is cool, you digg?"

A bit more recent is Regenesis (2004-2008). A Canadian series focussing on biological and genetic mishaps. With a diagnosed as Asperger character in one of the leads. Eat that Chloe O'Brian.

stakarVN fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 27, 2012

Leechboy
Aug 6, 2008
Just burnt through 4 seasons of Southland. How is this show not more popular?

I've been on a binge of Cancelled shows, doing the three aquatic invasion shows from 2005 - Threshold, Surface and Invasion. All worth looking for in their own way. I can see why Surface didn't get renewed, as the scope of it's season finale looked like it would be almost impossible to film on a TV Series budget A Tsunami floods Nord Carolina and Giant LIzards follow Invasion actually got 22 eps, but can run interminably slow at times. If your a fan of Saun Cassidey's ealier American Gothic, you'll like William Fitchners take on essentially the same character. Also Mad Men's Elizabeth Moss has a great 5 ep run as a pycho. Threshold is probably the least of the bunch, mostly because it didn't get a decent send off, but fans of Peter Dinklage should enjoy him as a brilliant womanizing math genius.

I've tracked down the quickly cancelled 1989 Stephen J. Cannell series Unsub and watched the pilot last night. It's an obvious attempt to make a TV procedural version of Michael Mann's Manhunter, but I'll be damned if it doesn't work. Apart from some obvious introductory exposition, the show still holds up, even the soundtrack. Here's a taste of the pilot, with a pre-Twin Peaks Grace Zabriskie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kizwRQXOz9w&feature=related

Leechboy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 29, 2012

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Just finished the first season of Life and I absolutely loved it. Damian Lewis plays the Zen-y cop perfectly and the rest of the cast is great too.

Just watch it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've been watching The Larry Sanders Show and man I really do not like Hank. Jeffrey Tambor is great but Hank is such a passive aggressive sad sack and I have to put up with enough of that from myself.

He does have some great moments though, mainly when he gets really really angry.

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake

Popelmon posted:

Just finished the first season of Life and I absolutely loved it. Damian Lewis plays the Zen-y cop perfectly and the rest of the cast is great too.

Just watch it.

Yeah, really too bad it was canceled.

I know it's ridiculous, but I'm watching the first season of Ghost Whisperer. Does it ever get better?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Four episodes into Southland. Liking it well enough so I don't mean this to sound too pejorative but right now it just comes off as if someone tried to make The Shield without the Strike Team plot. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just really curious when and how this evolves from "very competent but unremarkable cop stuff" to the way people talk about it now.

A lot of little things strike me as weird. The tags up front showing someone at the end of the day with that little bit of narration? Seems like a conceit you'd use in the pilot and then drop. They're showing enough (admirable) restraint in not using that for "how the gently caress do they end up in that situation?" hooks that I'm not sure what the point is. Also not that I'm well-versed in these things but something about the editing, the rhythm seems off... like scenes are being split in half for no reason.

Just me or do they go out of their way not to teach you any of the characters' names?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I started Rome and Deadwood, and immediately binged through Season One of Deadwood. Holy loving poo poo. That show is loving amazing.

Professor X
Feb 23, 2006
I wish you luck with a capital F.
My boyfriend and I just started Doctor Who...never seen it before and didn't really know much about it. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite shows!
We also just went through all of Trailer Park Boys, Louie, and currently watching The Office (UK) since he's never seen any of those before. I forgot how painful it was to watch the last two/three seasons of TPB.

I need to start something new.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

A Violence Gang posted:

Four episodes into Southland. Liking it well enough so I don't mean this to sound too pejorative but right now it just comes off as if someone tried to make The Shield without the Strike Team plot. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just really curious when and how this evolves from "very competent but unremarkable cop stuff" to the way people talk about it now.

A lot of little things strike me as weird. The tags up front showing someone at the end of the day with that little bit of narration? Seems like a conceit you'd use in the pilot and then drop. They're showing enough (admirable) restraint in not using that for "how the gently caress do they end up in that situation?" hooks that I'm not sure what the point is. Also not that I'm well-versed in these things but something about the editing, the rhythm seems off... like scenes are being split in half for no reason.

Just me or do they go out of their way not to teach you any of the characters' names?

Southland starts to pick up towards the end of season one and really hits its stride in season two. Stick with it :)

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I just finished Deadwood and I'm going to have to rewatch it again soon.

I think for most of the first series, at least, I couldn't tell characters apart, as they seemed so similar. It's just such a shame it was cancelled, as I felt it ended quite suddenly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Greyish Orange posted:

I just finished Deadwood and I'm going to have to rewatch it again soon.

It's just such a shame it was cancelled, as I felt it ended quite suddenly.

Welcome to the club where literally every single member feels the exact same way.
I watched the whole series in like 4 nights or something like that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A Violence Gang posted:

Same here.

Between this and being balls out bored with Mad Men (Season 1) I think I'm retarded somehow. :(

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Flying through Dollhouse. Have about 4 episodes left on season 2.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Power through to the end of season 1 of Mad Men. If you're not hooked by then, you won't be.

By the way, do the Scrubs DVDs have the original music? I was watching a season 4 episode on Netflix and the Fountains of Wayne song I remember from that episode was replaced by some generic indie-sounding filler music...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

oldpainless posted:

Welcome to the club where literally every single member feels the exact same way.
I watched the whole series in like 4 nights or something like that.

Tried to watch Deadwood many times. I get to episode 4 or 5 and just give up. It's so... boring? On paper it's something I should love but I just don't care about any of the characters and Timothy Olyphant is a terrible actor.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mu Zeta posted:

Timothy Olyphant is a terrible actor.

Now you've done it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Tried to watch Deadwood many times. I get to episode 4 or 5 and just give up. It's so... boring? On paper it's something I should love but I just don't care about any of the characters and Timothy Olyphant is a terrible actor.
I don't understand you thinking its boring but even if you did I'm surprised the dialog didn't make up for it. There are just so many quotable lines in the series. I felt like it was so, so much more than a western and each scene was like a Shakespearean gift wrapped up in American western paper. But to each his own. I've been rewatching Generation Kill and it's still great the second time around. The series that really grabbed me recently was Six Feet Under. Great series and I can't believe I missed it for so long.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mu Zeta posted:

Timothy Olyphant is a terrible actor.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Chamberk posted:

Power through to the end of season 1 of Mad Men. If you're not hooked by then, you won't be.

By the way, do the Scrubs DVDs have the original music? I was watching a season 4 episode on Netflix and the Fountains of Wayne song I remember from that episode was replaced by some generic indie-sounding filler music...

Yeah, the Scrubs DVDs do have the original music on them. I do think that some songs are missing for licensing reasons and the like. I can never watch it on Netflix because of the different, crappy sounding music that they use.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I've watched the first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad in pretty quick time...up until the Fly episode which I'm finding stupid as hell and has turned me off it big time.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

BoonyPC posted:

I've watched the first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad in pretty quick time...up until the Fly episode which I'm finding stupid as hell and has turned me off it big time.
I travel all summer so this is one those shows that slipped under my radar when it came out. I can't wait to start on it though.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

BoonyPC posted:

I had the same reaction, keep going! I know some people absolutely loved the Fly episode, but when you are marathoning the show it just grinds the show to a big halt. Luckily every episode past that is just awesome.

I just marathoned through 2 Broke Girls and Bent, both very mediocore comedies that should not really be watched by anyone. Oh well, they were better than Alcatraz. Got Bored to Death season 2 & 3 next up on the plate, I like the actors (esp Zach and Ted Danson) but I found season 1 overly pretentious, like this is the show you would marathon for a staunchly conservative Republican relative if you want their head to explode.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tailored Sauce posted:

Flying through Dollhouse. Have about 4 episodes left on season 2.

So did I very recently and thought it was really good, despite the criticisms it gets. It starts off ropey, but that's just a trait of the premise. The main character is being built from scratch throughout the whole series, starting as a blank slate in episode 1, ending up as "Echo" by the end, and the second season had some cool Whedon-esque plotlines and character development.

So many of Joss Whedon's shows get canned by networks despite being popular, maybe he's a nightmare to work with or something, who knows. Does he have anything else in the pipeline apart from that terrible sounding Avengers movie?

Regarding Breaking Bad: when you take into account the history between the two characters involved in that fly episode, some of the dialogue in that episode is among the tensest the show has to offer. I was personally on the edge of my seat.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Cactus posted:

So many of Joss Whedon's shows get canned by networks despite being popular

I think we have different definitions of "popular".

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I started Supernatural this week. I'm halfway through season 2 already.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mu Zeta posted:

This opinion is like, IRQ-ish in its wrongness. Olyphant is the man. I even enjoyed his poorly written villain in Live Free or Die Hard. :colbert:

On topic, I'm marathoning Damages with my mom, and we're both heavily addicted. It's a show that kind of pretends at prestige, but actually it's really pulpy and crazy and twisty. Basically it's the role Glenn Close was born to play, and she seizes it and mines it for all it's worth. I'm almost at the end of season 2, and while it's weaker than season 1 due to plot meandering (probably because not enough loose ends were tied up at the end of season 1, and they had to be pushed into season 2), it's still pretty crazy at its best. And hey, Timothy Olyphant, speak of the devil. Not a great role for him, but his charisma still shines through, although it feels wrong with him not having a Kentucky accent. William Hurt is terrific in the first few episodes, and then the show kind of forgets about him. Marcia Gay Harden is also aces, and somehow, absurdly sexy (and I've never even thought of her that way before). Rose Byrne's come into her own, and I think she's a real talent, harboring an inner ferocity. Damages always tends to hire great actors even in bit roles, so in Season 2 there's Kevin Corrigan, Darrell Hammond as an effeminate minion for the bad guy (seriously, somehow he's terrifying), a brief appearance by Harris Yulin, Mario van Peebles, Clarke Peters, Brett Cullen, Tom Noonan, and David Costabile. I'm so excited to get further into the show, too. I'm looking on IMDB, and even more awesome people show up, including: Campbell Scott, Martin Short, Dylan Baker, John Goodman, Lily Tomlin, Len Cariou, Judd Hirsch, Fisher Stevens, Keith Carradine, and Craig Bierko.
And the upcoming season 5 sounds very interesting, with Ryan Phillippe, Jenna Elfman, John Hannah, and Janet McTeer, and Ellen and Patty going head-to-head in a case.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I think we have different definitions of "popular".

A lot of people like what he does v:shobon:v that satisfies my definition at any rate.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Mu Zeta posted:

It's true, he's bad, and his family later in the series is even more useless.

However, you don't watch Deadwood for him, you're watching it for Al Swearengen and the rest of the cast. Stuff they do gets progressively more awesome as the series goes on.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007
Forever Knight
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forever_Knight

quote:

The series followed the adventures of Nick Knight, a Toronto cop working the graveyard shift with his partner Donald Schanke. Unbeknownst to most of his colleagues, Nick was actually Nicholas, an 800-year-old vampire (his human name was a pun based on his status as a literal knight in medieval France). Remorseful over centuries spent as a cold-hearted killer, Nicholas works as a cop and often ends up using his special abilities to bring criminals to justice. Nicholas explains his need to work on the night shift by claiming to have a skin disorder which requires him to stay out of sunlight. Refusing to feed from humans, he survives by drinking bottled animal blood, something that most vampires find repulsive. The only one who knows his true nature is his friend Natalie Lambert, a city medical examiner. Nick's ultimate dream is to find a way to become human once again, but his quest for redemption is complicated by the arrival in Toronto of fellow vampires LaCroix and Janette. LaCroix, who was born in the Roman Empire, and Janette were the ones who made Nick a vampire and were his companions for many centuries. Janette now runs a night club, while LaCroix works as a late-night talk radio host. While Janette is scornful, yet tolerant of Nicholas's new lifestyle, LaCroix actively attempts to seduce his protégé back to a more violent life.

This is is pure unadulterated 90s Vampire magic. It has the hilarious early 90s generic rock music playing over dramatic montages, crazy awesome vampire powers being used to fight crime, and everything you'd expect in a quintessential early 90s fantasy TV. I could not believe how entertaining and fun this show was to watch, and has insane potential for a modern day re-make.

As an added bonus, there are tons of actors you'll recognize from other Canadian sci-fi shows, especially the Stargate series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cactus posted:

A lot of people like what he does v:shobon:v that satisfies my definition at any rate.

A few vocal whiny people on the internet like his shows, unfortunately most people don't and the ratings reflect that.