Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

BlazinLow305 posted:

I've got a problem. I think I've already seen the majority of shows people talk about on here, at least types that have ongoing serialized story arcs. I'm not picky on genre at all, I just enjoy a show I can watch/binge whatever with an involving story.

I'm not going to bother trying to list everyone, but I haven't seen Damages yet and I think I remember hearing good things. Is it a decent show? Serialized story arcs?

Damages is heavily serialized, each season has its own contained story arc but there are many ongoing subplots and recurring characters. It's pretty good and features a lot of great cameos from actors you wouldn't normally expect to do dramatic work. Glenn Close and Rose Byrne really nail the tension, Close in particular plays bitch so well you wonder if its just natural. I found some parts of the second and third season to be off but they always do the late season climaxes well.

It's been a critical darling for awhile but unfortunately always seems to disappoint in viewership, I remember reading that DirecTV might not pick it up again. I was pretty shocked they gave it another 2 seasons back in 2010. Anyway it'll give you a solid 4-5 seasons of material to check out and it was on Netflix last time I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ok, just stopping by to tell everyone to watch the Good Wife.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finished Southland. It was very... OK? I'll certainly watch more if it returns, and I hope it does; I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a solidly executed "cop show", nothing more or less. A lot of the performances are quite good, Regina King and Michael Cudlitz especially.

The thing that keeps nagging at me is a consistent pattern of what strikes me as frankly bizarre decisions in their storytelling. The first season ending with one of the detectives getting shot, but in a way that really has nothing to do with police work, could've happened to anyone who knocked on the wrong door at the wrong time. Following that his partner goes through a string of potential replacements for him who seem like they're being set up to take the role permanently and then disappear without explanation. Or Wood Harris being brought in to serve as what looks like the main criminal villain of the season, like The Shield used Anthony Anderson. And then he only appears in maybe four scenes?

At first I chalked this up to uncertainty about its future, and the fact that its first two seasons add up to only a single season on cable and half for a network drama -- well within the grace period for finding its legs. But it continues: in season 3 when one of the main detectives is killed, this is barely referenced at all in the following episode. And maybe that's an interesting idea -- maybe, in reality, nothing much happens that day -- his partner would get debriefed and told to go home, his family would make their arrangements, the rest of the cops who didn't actually know him would say "that's lovely" and go about their business. But it really doesn't make any dramatic sense. And it shows up in the procedural case-of-the-week stuff as well: grandparents caring for their meth-addict daughter's child are found murdered. The junkie and her boyfriend are the obvious suspects, but a piece of evidence later implicates the victims' other, well-off daughter and her husband -- and that's the end of the case. Care to share with us why they did that, Southland? Maybe in a standard interrogation scene like that commonly found in every episode of every police drama ever made? No? OK then.

It's like somebody there is aware of the principle that good dramas can trust their audience to follow along without having everything spelled out for them but is grossly misapplying it. Or the writers are forced to produce episodes at random without any idea of what happened on the previous episode. Somebody please tell me I'm not the only one seeing this.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Starting the final of Six Feet Under tonight, mainly because of the fact that there's nothing else on TV tonight so I might as well start.

I also started watching Married... With Children and I can honestly say that it was ahead of it's time. If it started airing today, it would be your standard primetime comedy, but for the time frame that it aired it was very risque and also hilarious.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

All of season 4 of Eureka so I can continue with the start of 5.

ApolloCreed
Jan 25, 2011
Echoing Supernatural. Really fun show.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Reno 911! and Trailer Park Boys. They're almost companion pieces.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
On season 5 of Newsradio. It lost a lot of what made it great with Phil dying but everyone other then Andy Dick is still funny.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

bobkatt013 posted:

On season 5 of Newsradio. It lost a lot of what made it great with Phil dying but everyone other then Andy Dick is still funny.

I stopped watching during the first episode of Season 5. The first episode was kind of a tribute to Phil but they were making jokes about the characters in show death and the cast of the show was simply not up to joking about it. For those who don't know Phil was murdered in his sleep by his wife after an argument about her cocaine use which was made worse by claims that Andy Dick had introduced Phil's wife to cocaine.

Then in the episode Andy Dick's character believed that Phil/Bill wasn't dead but was pretending to be dead instead. The whole thing was pretty out of taste so I stopped watching which is a shame as the first few seasons were amazing. Do they stop talking about Phil's death as the season goes on?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

SolidRed posted:

I stopped watching during the first episode of Season 5. The first episode was kind of a tribute to Phil but they were making jokes about the characters in show death and the cast of the show was simply not up to joking about it. For those who don't know Phil was murdered in his sleep by his wife after an argument about her cocaine use which was made worse by claims that Andy Dick had introduced Phil's wife to cocaine.

Then in the episode Andy Dick's character believed that Phil/Bill wasn't dead but was pretending to be dead instead. The whole thing was pretty out of taste so I stopped watching which is a shame as the first few seasons were amazing. Do they stop talking about Phil's death as the season goes on?

Yeah, they brought in Jon Lovitz to replace Hartman. But the show just wasn't the same.

If it makes you feel any better, Jon Lovitz eventually beat the poo poo out of Andy Dick for his role in Phil Hartman's death.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SolidRed posted:

It was actually a really tasteful tribute to Phil. It is hard to watch as all the cast are in shock. Also for the rest of the series in Dave's office there is a magazine cover with Phil’s face. If you think that episode is uncomfortable watch the Titanic one which is Phil’s last episode.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

BlazinLow305 posted:

I'm not going to bother trying to list everyone, but I haven't seen Damages yet and I think I remember hearing good things. Is it a decent show? Serialized story arcs?

Also check out Murder One if you haven't already.

ApolloCreed
Jan 25, 2011

thrakkorzog posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Jon Lovitz eventually beat the poo poo out of Andy Dick for his role in Phil Hartman's death.

Wait what? I've never heard about this. Are thee details somewhere?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ApolloCreed posted:

Wait what? I've never heard about this. Are thee details somewhere?

It happened at a comedy club in LA, I remember reading about it a long time ago. Jon Lovitz and Phil Hartman were friends and JL blamed Andy Dick for the death and also just generally being a douchebag that no one likes. Andy Dick also apparently goaded him a lot on the set. I hadn't heard the drug rumor, I thought it was over an affair but who knows with the lifestyle a lot of them lead out there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

It happened at a comedy club in LA, I remember reading about it a long time ago. Jon Lovitz and Phil Hartman were friends and JL blamed Andy Dick for the death and also just generally being a douchebag that no one likes. Andy Dick also apparently goaded him a lot on the set. I hadn't heard the drug rumor, I thought it was over an affair but who knows with the lifestyle a lot of them lead out there.

If you read the artice it says that he went over to him and told Lovitz he was going to put the Hartman hex on him and he is going to die. John Lovitz also blamed Andy for getting Phil's wife back on drugs.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Netflix got smart and added at least one show I want to binge watch after giving a shot this season, Archer. (I guess it's a new release? We've only had it about a month.)

Two episodes down, with the balance of Seasons 1 and 2 to go. So far, between those episodes and the chunk of Season 3 I saw, it's a series that is on the border of interest and disinterest, but I'm looking forward to seeing where the seasons go.

Now if only they'd add Southland's first couple seasons...

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Netflix got smart and added at least one show I want to binge watch after giving a shot this season, Archer. (I guess it's a new release? We've only had it about a month.)

Two episodes down, with the balance of Seasons 1 and 2 to go. So far, between those episodes and the chunk of Season 3 I saw, it's a series that is on the border of interest and disinterest, but I'm looking forward to seeing where the seasons go.

Now if only they'd add Southland's first couple seasons...

It's no Southland, but Chicago Code also went up recently. It's a drat shame that show only made it one season.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
I've been bingeing through Avatar: The Last Airbender to get psyched for Legend of Korra. Such an amazing show. I also just saw Adventure Time for the first time, and I can't wait to hit that up - genuinely hilarious and creative animation. Outside of animations, I recently did a one-day Game of Thrones marathon to get up to speed for season 2, and I'm thinking I'll smash Wonderfalls again soon. Been too long.

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010
Well, I just finished Journeyman in two days.
It was a great show and as I feel there is still a lot of room for stories that could have been told. Thanks to whoever recommended it on this forum, definitely worth the time and the ending is beautiful for a premature ending. Kind of reminds me of the ending of Stargate: Universe, which was also fine by me.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
My fiancee and I have a tradition of watching half-hour shows before we go to bed. We've gone all the way through Friends, How I Met Your Mother, M*A*S*H, and My Name is Earl so far.

We started Scrubs, a show I have a distinct fondness for. However, I totally have to admit... it's pretty crappy circa seasons 5-6. There are a few gems in there, but the humor is way too zany and lots of jokes are at the expense of character continuity. (Laverne has always been the Christian disapproving of premarital sex, and then we get a throwaway line that tells us she and Kelso once had a hot affair? Kelso's gay son has a fiancee named Brad in one episode, and the next he has a lifepartner named Eduardo?) I hear the show improves in season 8 (and then is terrible for season 9) so I guess I'll just keep going...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, season 8 was a nice return to form. It was a proper send-off.

Season 9 really should not have happened, but luckily it's easy to ignore.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Archer's teaching me something about myself in terms of TV watching. Archer is an insufferable prick, but, possibly due to the people around him or his stupidity that may negate his abrasive personality, he's somewhat likeable. Virtually everyone on Allen Gregory was an insufferable prick, yet there was nothing enjoyable about them other than rageposting in the AG thread on TV IV.

Chamberk posted:

We started Scrubs, a show I have a distinct fondness for. However, I totally have to admit... it's pretty crappy circa seasons 5-6. There are a few gems in there, but the humor is way too zany and lots of jokes are at the expense of character continuity. (Laverne has always been the Christian disapproving of premarital sex, and then we get a throwaway line that tells us she and Kelso once had a hot affair? Kelso's gay son has a fiancee named Brad in one episode, and the next he has a lifepartner named Eduardo?) I hear the show improves in season 8 (and then is terrible for season 9) so I guess I'll just keep going...

I watched reruns of Scrubs for about 6 months just after Comedy Central started showing them in syndication. It was fun for a while, but I got too annoyed with it, primarily virtually anything Carla did and the Family Guy-style side jokes/daydreams.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 8 is possibly in my top 2/3 seasons of Scrubs. I think it's fantastic. Season 9 shouldn't have happened at all but it's still better than seasons 6/7.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I'm going through The West Wing, and just watched Two Cathedrals.

Goddrat.

(Why haven't I watched this show before.)

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm going through The West Wing, and just watched Two Cathedrals.

Goddrat.

(Why haven't I watched this show before.)

I'm a strong believer that that episode just gets better with each rewatch. In fact I think I'll pop that in right now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really love the 3-4 episode arc that leads up to Two Cathedrals as well. It's such a great payoff.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
One of my friends is going through season 2 now and I can't wait for him to get to 17 People.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
I'd watched the first three eps of Supernatural like a year ago and thought it was just okay, but it seemed like my kind of show, so I decided to give it another go (also Annakie promised that meeting Castiel would change everything). Finished off the first season and wasn't super impressed, second season got better, but I still wasn't really getting it. But by the third season I was really enjoying it and started to understand why everyone raves about this show.

And then I got to season 4 and 5. Holy crap. The seasons-long stories, the acting, the writing, and of course Castiel ( :swoon: ) all absolutely blew me away. I finished season 5 last night and can't believe what a perfect finale that was. ALL MY TEARS. Thank you God for not only bringing Cas back, but returning his powers so he could save Bobby! I'm taking a few days break to emotionally recover (I did s4+5 in the span of about six days) but I can't wait to see more. I've heard s6+7 aren't as good as 4 and 5 (but how could they be, they were perfection), but as long as Sam, Dean, and Cas go around kicking rear end and being hot and snarky, I'll be happy. :)

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, season 8 was a nice return to form. It was a proper send-off.

Season 9 really should not have happened, but luckily it's easy to ignore.
Yeah I was super happy season 8 got some new blood and they used them well. Season 9 was even pretty good once they figured out to stop trying to thrust Lucy aka female JD into the spotlight and let Drew/Denise carry the load.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Watching The West Wing again because I never finished it the first time I tried to go through it, and because it's loving awesome why did I not finish it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Watching The West Wing again because I never finished it the first time I tried to go through it, and because it's loving awesome why did I not finish it?

You got to season 5?

Rewatching Veronica Mars. It is so weird seeing all these famous people before they became famous. The latest episode has Levy from Wire as a decent guy.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 29, 2012

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

You got to season 5?

Rewatching Veronica Mars. It is so weird seeing all these famous people before they became famous. The latest episode has Levy from Wire as a decent guy.

And then there's that episode with Jonathon Taylor Thomas, where you can see the famous person after he stopped being famous.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

And then there's that episode with Jonathon Taylor Thomas, where you can see the famous person after he stopped being famous.

Yep and the episode before that had his brother from Home Improvement.

Halt!
Oct 11, 2008

Just started binging through The Wire, next up will probably be The West Wing or Fringe, can't decide which quite yet.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Archer's teaching me something about myself in terms of TV watching. Archer is an insufferable prick, but, possibly due to the people around him or his stupidity that may negate his abrasive personality, he's somewhat likeable. Virtually everyone on Allen Gregory was an insufferable prick, yet there was nothing enjoyable about them other than rageposting in the AG thread on TV IV.

For irredeemable people to work in a sitcom, I find that they need to get their comeuppance on a regular basis. George Costanza would regularly suffer from setbacks, the Always Sunny crew's schemes constantly backfire, and even Archer has suffered the consequences of his bullshit. From the couple of episodes I saw and what I read in the thread, Allen Gregory was a horrendous brat who almost always got his way. It also helps that Archer's antics are much funnier than anything anyone on Allen Gregory did.

I've been going through Star Trek TNG the past several days on Netflix. I was under the impression that I had seen most of the really good episodes on various runs on cable over the last several years, and was delighted to find out how wrong I was. And I have the luxury of knowing some of the ones to skip, like the one about the creepy ghost who keeps having affairs with Dr. Crusher and her ancestors.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep and the episode before that had his brother from Home Improvement.

Whoah, I forgot about that one. But to be fair, he never got quite as famous as JTT.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

You got to season 5?

I think that's the season I got to, but I honestly can't remember not liking it. I just got busy with other things and just stopped.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Shin Doctor posted:

Just started binging through The Wire, next up will probably be The West Wing or Fringe, can't decide which quite yet.

I've actually returned to The Wire, season 3, but I'm totally unable to binge it. I'll watch the first four or five episodes over the course or a week or two and then maybe marathon the end of the season over a couple of days. But then I walked away completely for a few months between seasons.

I'm absolutely in love with the show. But for some reason I can't digest it any faster.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's no advantage to binging through The Wire. You'll probably miss a lot of stuff that way. It gets better on the second viewing any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

There's no advantage to binging through The Wire. You'll probably miss a lot of stuff that way. It gets better on the second viewing any way.

...to be fair, if you binge through The Wire, it just means that you're that much closer to your second viewing :v: