Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
White Christmas was just really silly for me, because surely there has to be an easier way to get your toast the way you want it without resorting to brain surgery and torturing a digital clone. Likewise, if you can cut open a suspect's head without his permission to put one of those in to get a confession, at that point you might as well just beat him with a lead pipe until he says what you want. Less invasive and you don't even need a neurosurgeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Without sounding like a 'you had to be there' arsehole, White Bear works much better with a full understanding of british tabloid culture. It's absolutely a plausible extrapolation of what we saw with the Soham murders, Bulger murder and others. The vitriol and bile spewed up by the tabloids and a non-insignificant part of the population could easily manifest in the audience at the end, and you only have to look at the cases of people taking photos outside of murder victims houses to get the bystanders with their cell phones.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

White Christmas was just really silly for me, because surely there has to be an easier way to get your toast the way you want it without resorting to brain surgery and torturing a digital clone. Likewise, if you can cut open a suspect's head without his permission to put one of those in to get a confession, at that point you might as well just beat him with a lead pipe until he says what you want. Less invasive and you don't even need a neurosurgeon.

We don't need to waterboard people either but we do it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Watched the first season of Utopia, it was so good!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Red Oktober posted:

Without sounding like a 'you had to be there' arsehole, White Bear works much better with a full understanding of british tabloid culture. It's absolutely a plausible extrapolation of what we saw with the Soham murders, Bulger murder and others. The vitriol and bile spewed up by the tabloids and a non-insignificant part of the population could easily manifest in the audience at the end, and you only have to look at the cases of people taking photos outside of murder victims houses to get the bystanders with their cell phones.

Yeah, I can definitely see how it's more relevant to where it was produced, as with pretty much any show. I did pick up on a couple things though: The National Anthem had to be a direct satire of David Cameron, right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, I can definitely see how it's more relevant to where it was produced, as with pretty much any show. I did pick up on a couple things though: The National Anthem had to be a direct satire of David Cameron, right?

The National Anthem predates those revelations by several years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not like he hosed a live pig. He put his penis into the mouth of a pig head.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just finished Strike Back, enjoyed the final season a lot more than season 4. Final episode question: Did the British half of Scott & Stonebridge's evil twins get killed off screen or did he get offed in the action somewhere and I missed it? Either way I thought they'd make a bigger deal out of it, like how they dedicated a whole scene of the smug American guy getting owned

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
^^

He's at the barn, he just goes down in virtually the same scene, you see him calling all this crew forward and they all get waxed

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo My Brother, My Brother and Me is hilarious. I wish there were more episodes. I was in tears laughing at some parts. Every episode goes from advice show to the brothers screwing around and then ends up surreal and bonkers by the end.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Finished Ultimate Beastmaster and halfway through season 2 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Both shows are very entertaining.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
At this point all that ultimate beastmaster is to me is a bait-and-switch where I went "hell yeah Beastmaster ruled!" and then it seemed to mainly be one of those Ninja Warrior shows where people are forced through an obstacle course full if legitimately dangerous stuff but it's cool because they're white(or aspiring comedians) and then welp, actually there's this new thing that involves what appears to be 100% less Kevin Bacon in a fur loincloth, and 100% less oocker room jokes involvin g his sentient weasels.

Please educate me on why it's worth watching though because I was stuck thinking that sounds like great TV and then ya'll stealing all of my ninja warrriors and my kevin bacons - as well as my weasels! Why is everyone so goddamned politically correct!?

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I know everyone's mentioned The Shield and The Wire but I'm gonna loving mention it again. I watched both again recently and they are both still the best tv shows. My favorite is whichever I watched latest, the Wire wraps up beautifully and poetically, but the Shield really stuck with me a long time. More than anything, the character evolution in the Shield is incredible. It makes Breaking Bad look like a medieval puppet show.

I more recently binged The Genius, a korean game show that was just translated into english on Youtube. Very entertaining, kind of a survivor for smart people. Learning all the Korean formalities was part of the fun.

I also really enjoyed HarmonQuest on SeeSo: Rick and Morty writer plays D&D with celebrities, which is then animated. I don't know if it's ok to admit I liked it or not.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

coyo7e posted:

At this point all that ultimate beastmaster is to me is a bait-and-switch where I went "hell yeah Beastmaster ruled!" and then it seemed to mainly be one of those Ninja Warrior shows where people are forced through an obstacle course full if legitimately dangerous stuff but it's cool because they're white(or aspiring comedians) and then welp, actually there's this new thing that involves what appears to be 100% less Kevin Bacon in a fur loincloth, and 100% less oocker room jokes involvin g his sentient weasels.

Please educate me on why it's worth watching though because I was stuck thinking that sounds like great TV and then ya'll stealing all of my ninja warrriors and my kevin bacons - as well as my weasels! Why is everyone so goddamned politically correct!?

It's Marc singer and ferrets, you God damned heathen.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone should be watching Imposters.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Chewbot posted:

I know everyone's mentioned The Shield and The Wire but I'm gonna loving mention it again. I watched both again recently and they are both still the best tv shows. My favorite is whichever I watched latest, the Wire wraps up beautifully and poetically, but the Shield really stuck with me a long time. More than anything, the character evolution in the Shield is incredible. It makes Breaking Bad look like a medieval puppet show.

I more recently binged The Genius, a korean game show that was just translated into english on Youtube. Very entertaining, kind of a survivor for smart people. Learning all the Korean formalities was part of the fun.

I also really enjoyed HarmonQuest on SeeSo: Rick and Morty writer plays D&D with celebrities, which is then animated. I don't know if it's ok to admit I liked it or not.

I liked the Shield and all, but character evolution? The first season (hell the first episode) tells you exactly who Vic is. Unless you mean Shane, an opinion to which I would grant some legitimacy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Everyone should be watching Imposters.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is imposters like a serialized story sort of show? For some reason that's the one thing that's always a requirement for me otherwise I tend to get bored of shows.

Up to the last episode of Hap and Leonard which is a pretty cool show. The villians in the story felt a bit much so far but they are still a fun watch. Omar from The Wire is one of the main protagonists, always a delight seeing him on screen

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are no filler episodes, it's solid story all the way. The pilot lays the initial story out, then it's just brilliantly paced and the story is amping after 5 episodes.

Oh and Uma Thurman is in it...

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 9, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

andrew smash posted:

I liked the Shield and all, but character evolution? The first season (hell the first episode) tells you exactly who Vic is. Unless you mean Shane, an opinion to which I would grant some legitimacy.

Ronnie evolves from a silent dude in the background to the best character, so there's that :v:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
And there's some pretty significant progression with Dutch, Claudette, and Aceveda

Obligatory: "You had to....suuuuuck?!

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
awww I started watching it looking forward to some epic storyline. This better go somewhere :toughguy:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

There are no filler episodes, it's solid story all the way. The pilot lays the initial story out, then it's just brilliantly paced and the story is amping after 5 episodes.

Oh and Uma Thurman is in it...

What's it about and is it on Netflix?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Astrofig posted:

What's it about and is it on Netflix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfN3htmLhgI

Also, no

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

I just discovered that season 2 of Billions is 3 episodes in. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's basically Paul Giamatti as the DA of New York investigating Damian Lewis as a billionaire hedge fund manager.

Awesome show.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

andrew smash posted:

The fact that Vic doesn't change over the course of all this is maybe the most important element; every other character on the show breaks against this guy like waves against a cliffside, and eventually even the audience realizes they've been betrayed like the rest of his inner circle. The end scene where he's clearly thinking about how to get back in the game is one of my favorites. Everything touched by Vic becomes altered. Entire organizations are shattered by this guy. Compare to The Wire, where the whole theme of the show is about how history repeats. Each character plays their role in a complex spiderweb of relationships and generally doesn't do a whole lot of personal growth. Now that I think of it, the one guy who really changes (D'Angelo) is the first major character to get jacked.

That's just my opinion though. Both shows are complex enough you can probably find some exceptions I've forgotten about.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 9, 2017

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
Not binging but surprised there is no thread on Outsiders.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Chewbot posted:

The fact that Vic doesn't change over the course of all this is maybe the most important element; every other character on the show breaks against this guy like waves against a cliffside, and eventually even the audience realizes they've been betrayed like the rest of his inner circle. The end scene where he's clearly thinking about how to get back in the game is one of my favorites. Everything touched by Vic becomes altered. Entire organizations are shattered by this guy. Compare to The Wire, where the whole theme of the show is about how history repeats. Each character plays their role in a complex spiderweb of relationships and generally doesn't do a whole lot of personal growth. Now that I think of it, the one guy who really changes (D'Angelo) is the first major character to get jacked.

That's just my opinion though. Both shows are complex enough you can probably find some exceptions I've forgotten about.

Re: The Wire, Carver definitely grows, Prez too

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress anyone who asks "is it on Netflix" whenever they hear about a good show tbh. Streaming has made people way too complacent to just watch whatever is in front of them and ignore the rest

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Wafflecopper posted:

Ronnie evolves from a silent dude in the background to the best character, so there's that :v:

I unironically agree with this

Escobarbarian posted:

gently caress anyone who asks "is it on Netflix" whenever they hear about a good show tbh. Streaming has made people way too complacent to just watch whatever is in front of them and ignore the rest

This is stupid, "is it on netflix" just means "can i access this without paying any additional money or investing effort up front for it" which is obviously going to influence their decision to watch it. "On netflix" vs "the first season is 29.99 on amazon video" vs "i will have to track down a physical copy of this" are very different levels of commitment.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 10, 2017

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

Re: The Wire, Carver definitely grows, Prez too

Don't forget Bubbles.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't have cable and I'm not going to pay $100+ per month to watch one show when I can stream it for less than $8. Incidentally gently caress you in the eye. :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Another thing is that a lot of the other services just don't compare, or they feel really shady, or they have a limited selection so I run out of things to watch after a couple of months. I tried a few of them on free trial and it was like pulling teeth to figure out how to access my account and cancel it. It is even possible to log into vudu from a computer just to manage your account?

It's a huge pain in the rear end to want to watch something and log into netflix and look around, log into amazon and look around, log into hulu and look around, log into vimeo and look around..

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On my Android I've got a Yahoo Streaming App that I can use to check if something's on any of my streaming apps. Then it links me directly to the app so I don't even have to back out and open it myself. Its not perfect but its pretty good.

On my old iPad I used "Can I Stream It" for the same purpose but it wasn't as solid.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Shock of all shocks, people are more likely to watch something the more easy it is to access it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Astrofig posted:

I don't have cable and I'm not going to pay $100+ per month to watch one show when I can stream it for less than $8. Incidentally gently caress you in the eye. :)

You can stream it on amazon for $25. Pirate the first few episodes if you want to try before you buy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nerdman42 posted:

Shock of all shocks, people are more likely to watch something the more easy it is to access it

It's incredibly easy to access anything for free lol

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
we get it, you are a cool pirate guy who watches anything he wants, not like the netflix peasants. Honestly, even pirating is meh because some of us have a job and just want to click "play the show where I left off" I quit watching Gamorrah because I got tired of pirating it and remembering where I left off, etc. I was really happy to see it added to Netflix the other day, will definitely be finishing it now.

Just started the first episode of Imposters and almost done with it. I'd say just decent so far, but a lot of shows take a few episodes to hit their stride.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

As far as keeping track of non-netflix shows, I've found a TV tracking app really useful - there are several ranging for free to paid. You put in the series you are watching and it'll show you what's airing soon and allow you to mark an episode as watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

:rolleyes: