Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 2 gives you a good idea of who voted for trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Pocket Billiards posted:

The actor that played Darden did a tremendous job.

Sterling K. Brown is an amazing actor and he is the best part of This Is Us, the show he's currently on.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just finished season 2 of Baskets. That show is so good! Why aren't all of you watching it!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am!!!!!! It's great

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

This Will Arnett Netflix live thing is ... soothing...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Finally finished The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones and I've got to say I like the last few episodes where they lean into the comedy more than the very dour First World War ones. Not to say those weren't good, but the one I enjoyed most of them was the one where he went to Prague, met Franz Kafka and got into all kinds of ridiculous hijinks trying to get a telephone installed in his hotel room.

It's a shame it didn't get more episodes like "Indy solves a murder with his journalist friend Ernest Hemingway and college roommate Eliot Ness" or "Indy becomes stage manager for a Broadway show while trying to date three women at the same time". That would've been a lot of fun.

Anyway, I've got a choice between what I watch next. I could finally watch season four of Arrow or season one of The Magicians or I could finally start The 100.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm watching the current season of The 100 and it seriously spins its wheels and goes nowhere. The first couple seasons were fun.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anyway, I've got a choice between what I watch next. I could finally watch season four of Arrow or season one of The Magicians or I could finally start The 100.

The first 5 or 6 episodes of The Magicians were kinda rote but it really picks up in the back half. I am eagerly looking forward to season 2 when it eventually ends up on Netflix.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Patriot is bloody brilliant. It's finely crafted chaos steeped in carefree pitch-black humor.

bmc
Jul 21, 2014

Rewatching Person of Interest, one of my favorite TV shows - 10/10. I can't believe they cancelled this incredible, intelligent show in favor of dumbed down crap like Big Brother. Hopefully Netflix will pick it up and continue its brilliance.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's not like they abruptly canceled it, they gave them a final season to wrap it up and it ended pretty definitively. I loved it too but it didn't need to go on forever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It could have gone on. It's not like crimes aren't happening.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha, what has Big Brother got to do with anything?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I am watching the Netflix show Samurai Gourmet, a tale of a very kind and pure Japanese retiree who tries out a variety of Japanese cuisine while adjusting to post-retirement life. It's incredible, and fills me with nice feelings. The show is basically watching a very cute and earnest man enjoy bites of tasty food. I can't get enough of it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pocket Billiards posted:

Binged the last three episodes yesterday myself. I'm not in the US, so I had not attachment to the man or the media circus around it, but it was very compelling. Really was up there with the best dramatisations I've seen like Behind the Candelabra and the Dr Kevorkian HBO one.

The actor that played Darden did a tremendous job.

Ya same as someone who wasn't old enough to follow the trial when it was happening and not being in the US. Its crazy how big this trial really was but so many younger people now know nothing of it. I also liked how the show doesn't really side with the defense or prosecutor. It just lays out the facts and how the trial went. You can make up your own mind as to what the truth is.

The actor who played Darden was great but really loved the portrayal of Johnnie Coachran not seen much of that actor either. Reading about Johnnie Coachran it does seem he was really theatrical and flashy in the courtroom which the actor did a great job of doing. The casting overall was great most of the actors sort of look like whoever they are portraying but Cuba Gooding Jr doesn't look anything like OJ.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I am watching the Netflix show Samurai Gourmet, a tale of a very kind and pure Japanese retiree who tries out a variety of Japanese cuisine while adjusting to post-retirement life. It's incredible, and fills me with nice feelings. The show is basically watching a very cute and earnest man enjoy bites of tasty food. I can't get enough of it.

Yeah it's quite something. Most of Netflix's Japanese and Korean foray's so far have been really good.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I just finished Big Little Lies also. I couldn't find a thread here discussing it.

I didn't intend to watch it, but the wife was watching and it drew me in. Big name cast, well shot and quite dark with some of the humour.

I guess the premise of TV mini-series about seemingly 'perfect' housewives with dark secrets had me thinking of Meredith Baxter being tormented and melodramatic musical scores, but this was solid.

Some of the twists in the finale were foreshadowed a bit too much staircase and which child was the bully, but some genuine surprises in there.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I started and finished Fleabag today. You guys were right. It's quite the gut punch but also really good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Raspberry Bang posted:

I started and finished Fleabag today. You guys were right. It's quite the gut punch but also really good.

Crashing (the UK one) is also by/starring her and is also pretty awesome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Decided to go with The Magicians and am about halfway through season one. It's pretty decent so far.

That poor, poor bunny rabbit. :(

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I've been watching season 1 of The Expanse for a second time on Netflix as I've had the second season recommended to me but had completely forgotten most of the first season. What I did remember of my first watch was that while I really liked the worldbuilding, I really couldn't get behind any of the characters and thought the plotting and writing was really off. However I'm happy to report that binging the whole thing makes it much, much more tolerable than I remember - it's so serialised and interconnected that I think it might have simply been a case of a show that does much better and makes much more sense when watched all in one go. Nearing the end now and looking forward to season 2.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
S2 of the Expanse is so much better too. It's just tighter and more well crafted. Some of the characters are growing a lot as well

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im also binging through The Expanse, thanks to all the praise it gets on this thread. I had watched the 1st episode sometime ago and I didnt liked it much, but decided to give it another chance and now Im halfway into season 2 and loving it

S1 didint felt incomplete to me, as people here said, but maybe because Ive sarted S2 right after. Probably a better place to finish S1 would have been S02E05, but only if they were to make S1 15 episodes long. The pacing is kinda slow but works perfectly for my taste, and is specially good if you are binging

Anyways, is really very good

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 6, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I haven't gotten to S2 yet but I assume if you just picked right up with S2E1 after S1 then it wouldn't have felt like such a weird place to stop the story. Especially with what everyone's been saying about how they adapted the book across seasons.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Yeah I haven't read the books but now that S2 is out, S1E1-S2E5 feels like a complete arc and is the full scope of the first book from what I understand. I'm deep into S2 now and it is very good but it also does make me appreciate how weird of a break the end of S1 is. The realities of TV production? :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bobbie has a nice butt

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kept on watching The Wire after season 1 and season 2 is as good. I know some people didn't like the setting changing completely but it just fleshed out the crime scene in Baltimore even more. How the drugs come from the ports and who is involved. I like how the series shows you all the levels of crime from organizational to individual you see the effects of drugs having ripples througthout the entire city and how it affects everyone. I will take a break and watch something else before watching season 3.

Also before winter is coming meme there was the Omar is coming meme.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I'm working through Preacher right now and I think it could stand to pick up the pace a little bit, but I like it.

To be fair, I read the comics, so I'm applying that knowledge to the show, even though it's an adaptation so things are gonna be changed for this and that reason.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been watching the new seasons of Whose Line is It Anyway on the XW Seed site.

Why can't Aiesha Tyler be this funny during E3?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Preacher is definitely slow but it paid off for me in the end. I'm planning to do a rewatch soon so I'm curious to see how it plays a second time through (I hadn't read the comics so I was largely watching blind).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flight Bisque posted:

I'm working through Preacher right now and I think it could stand to pick up the pace a little bit, but I like it.

To be fair, I read the comics, so I'm applying that knowledge to the show, even though it's an adaptation so things are gonna be changed for this and that reason.

I'd have a lot more to say if you'd finished the season, but basically I completely agree. Still excited for season 2, though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Robutt posted:

I've been watching season 1 of The Expanse for a second time on Netflix as I've had the second season recommended to me but had completely forgotten most of the first season. What I did remember of my first watch was that while I really liked the worldbuilding, I really couldn't get behind any of the characters and thought the plotting and writing was really off. However I'm happy to report that binging the whole thing makes it much, much more tolerable than I remember - it's so serialised and interconnected that I think it might have simply been a case of a show that does much better and makes much more sense when watched all in one go. Nearing the end now and looking forward to season 2.
I just started S2, and I will say that although the first 8 episodes or so felt slow as hell to me, once the two major plotlines come together it gets more interesting.

I still can't stand Holden though. The character is paper thin, and Steven Strait is a block of wood masquerading as a human. I don't know why they thought he could carry a show with his one facial expression. Especially when you have Thomas Jane acting circles around everyone else in the cast.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

sticklefifer posted:

I just started S2, and I will say that although the first 8 episodes or so felt slow as hell to me, once the two major plotlines come together it gets more interesting.

I still can't stand Holden though. The character is paper thin, and Steven Strait is a block of wood masquerading as a human. I don't know why they thought he could carry a show with his one facial expression. Especially when you have Thomas Jane acting circles around everyone else in the cast.

I really liked Holden in S1 but in S2 he become limited to looking angry and serious all the time, it's boring. His sole motivation now is "I have to destroy the protomolecule!!!!". Not even Naomi can take it anymore. I do think is more of a problem with the character than the actor, the actor is doing a fine job with the shallow character he has available

He is by far the worst of the ship's crew, but the rest of then are great. Amos and Alex specially really grew on me, they are amazing by themselves and amazing together too

In fact, I really like most characters in this show, and that's why I don't really care if it's kinda slow (and it is)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 8, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amos has way more personality than Holden and that's funny as hell since Amos probably had a really messed up and repressed childhood

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

About two episodes into Sneaky Pete. I can't tell if I like it or not which is weird because I can't point to anything I dislike about it, but there's just something about it. I give everything at least 3 episodes so maybe the next one will seal it one way or the other.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First ep of Sneaky Pete was made by a different showrunner and for CBS instead of Amazon. Definitely give it another ep or two. I dunno that I ever found it amazing, but shows about swindler types are so inherently satisfying to me.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Taking my time getting through the night manager on prime. Super good, I'm sad it's only 6 episodes.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I just binged through Legion. poo poo, that was good.

I don't know why I haven't gone after the second season of The Expanse. I liked the first season, but just haven't bothered with the second yet.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

11 episodes into season 2 and it's really great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Solice Kirsk posted:

About two episodes into Sneaky Pete. I can't tell if I like it or not which is weird because I can't point to anything I dislike about it, but there's just something about it. I give everything at least 3 episodes so maybe the next one will seal it one way or the other.

fwiw I really enjoyed it despite not immediately being sold in the first ep or two