Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Binged my way through Nurse Jackie recently. It's not bad, not great either, but the episodes are quick and they move a little so it's pretty ok. If you've got absolutely nothing to watch and nothing better to do and you only watch dramas with some comedy it's good enough to kill some time with.

EDIT: I still say the show would've been much cooler is she were a serial killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 8, 2008
Thanks to its appearance on Hulu, me and my SO have decided to start watching Lost. We are only a few episodes into the second season, but good god that show is awesome. We watched practically the entire first season over one weekend and have been absolutely hooked. Lost is a show that definitely benefits from watching episodes back to back...

Phineas Gage
Dec 11, 2005

There's poison underneath the sink, of course.
Just watched season 2 of Breaking Bad in two sittings why did they have to kill the girl :( that was just too harsh, god damnit. and all the foreshadowing about poo poo in the pool and evidence was complete bullshit

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'm running through Burn Notice now, and it's fantastic

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Phineas Gage posted:

Just watched season 2 of Breaking Bad in two sittings why did they have to kill the girl :( that was just too harsh, god damnit. and all the foreshadowing about poo poo in the pool and evidence was complete bullshit

You should have seen the reaction in the thread.

I didn't like it at first either, but once I read the interview with the creator, it was a lot easier to appreciate.

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2009/05/breaking-bad-vince-gilligan-post.html

Phineas Gage
Dec 11, 2005

There's poison underneath the sink, of course.

CaptainHollywood posted:

You should have seen the reaction in the thread.

I didn't like it at first either, but once I read the interview with the creator, it was a lot easier to appreciate.

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2009/05/breaking-bad-vince-gilligan-post.html

yeah that sounds alright about the ending i guess but motherfuck when he let the girl die thats the first time ive ever yelled at a tv-show gaaah

you have the archives link to the thread? cant find it

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Phineas Gage posted:

you have the archives link to the thread? cant find it

It's not archived, it's on page 2.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3082971

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

7734 posted:

Lost is a show that definitely benefits from watching episodes back to back...

I'm happy you're enjoying the show, but it's odd that you say this. Nearly everyone agrees that you lose a lot of enjoyment by marathoning it. It can be a pretty heavy show and sometimes it takes some time to digest and process what just happened.

Still - enjoy, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Feb 8, 2008
I'm surprised that people would say that. For me watching Lost is like watching one really long movie, as for the most part the episodes flow together really well. Having to wait a whole six months to find out what was inside the hatch would be far to much. I'm hoping I can get caught up by the time season 6 starts so I can actually look at the Lost thread. Unless this show takes a serious drop in quality, Lost is shaping up to be up there with BSG as one of the best series in the last 10 years.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

7734 posted:

I'm surprised that people would say that. For me watching Lost is like watching one really long movie, as for the most part the episodes flow together really well. Having to wait a whole six months to find out what was inside the hatch would be far to much. I'm hoping I can get caught up by the time season 6 starts so I can actually look at the Lost thread. Unless this show takes a serious drop in quality, Lost is shaping up to be up there with BSG as one of the best series in the last 10 years.

I could never get myself to finish BSG. Tried twice but no.

Feb 8, 2008
BSG takes a bit to get into. It is much, much more character driven than other sci-fi shows and there are a lot of episodes that really have no "action" in them. Once the series takes off it gets extremely good, and the special effects improve dramatically. Though be warned, the ending is... lets just say, unique. There are still people over in the BSG threads debating it now I'm sure. My biggest issue with it was they pretty much ran out of time on the series and had to leave a few loose ends unanswered, which was rather disappointing. Still, it is definitely worth giving another try.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

Jarl posted:

I could never get myself to finish BSG. Tried twice but no.

Wow, that is super crazy. I saw this thread and clicked on it just to say how I've been STRUGGLING to get through the final season of BSG. I just don't care about the characters or the story, I just can't get into it anymore. I've also tried twice. I'm asking myself as I watch it, "was it always this hokey and over the top?" I must have watched it and enjoyed it to get to the final season, but I think of how many more episodes I have to go through and I just avoid watching anymore because it feels so much like work.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bozz posted:

Wow, that is super crazy. I saw this thread and clicked on it just to say how I've been STRUGGLING to get through the final season of BSG. I just don't care about the characters or the story, I just can't get into it anymore. I've also tried twice. I'm asking myself as I watch it, "was it always this hokey and over the top?" I must have watched it and enjoyed it to get to the final season, but I think of how many more episodes I have to go through and I just avoid watching anymore because it feels so much like work.

The show definitely starts to run out of steam in season 4. It's almost collapsing under the weight of providing closure on things that they had no idea how to close out when they wrote them. You might be best stopping halfway through that last season and pretending the show finished with a mega downer ending.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously, save yourself the disappointment. If you already have reservations partway through it, you're going to hate the way it ends. I wish I could back to pre-season 4 times so I still had a favorable opinion of the show.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
After reading this thread (and my friends reactions to the finale), I don't think I'm going to ever watch Battlestar Gallactica. It sounds like season 2 was it's prime and it slowly dug itself deeper from there.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
It very specifically hits its peak early in season 3. Everyone who's seen it knows what I mean.

Don't base your opinion on an internet thread. The internet hates everything. Don't base your opinion on the finale either, it split the fanbase in half. You're missing out by never wanting to watch it just based on two pretty lame criteria. It has its lulls and it can drag sometimes, but when it's great, it's some of the best TV you'll ever see.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I think, if I hadn't seen it, the sheer controversy over whether or not Battlestar ends well would intrigue me rather than put me off. But that may just be my personality.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like BSG, season 3 lagged a bit, but 4 was an improvement. It's one of the best scifi series made

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
Gonna go against most people in this thread and say I really liked the way they ended BSG. No, they didn't have everything planned out from the start (the way Lost does), and yes the finale/last few eps did seem a little rushed, but I thought it was an ending that fit the show. It's definitely one of my favorite shows ever and while there were some episodes that were weaker than others, I thought overall it was really fantastic.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Bonk posted:

It very specifically hits its peak early in season 3. Everyone who's seen it knows what I mean.

Don't base your opinion on an internet thread. The internet hates everything. Don't base your opinion on the finale either, it split the fanbase in half. You're missing out by never wanting to watch it just based on two pretty lame criteria. It has its lulls and it can drag sometimes, but when it's great, it's some of the best TV you'll ever see.

Well it's not just this internet thread. A few of my friends loved this show at one point and say how the ending pretty much almost ruined it all. While I recognize that episodes/seasons can be good, I find it hard to invest in something knowing it doesn't end satisfying. It's like if I were to start King's Dark Tower series, I know at one point it gets good, but it doesn't stay that way and it ends on a "meh" note.

Honestly, despite how great it's been so far, I'd have a hard time recommending Lost if it ends unsatisfying. It can have mysteries unresolved, but if it doesn't end on a solid I don't see myself saying, "oh you have to watch Lost!"

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I can understand that, but although the end is polarizing, plenty of people liked it a lot. This thread really is a poor example though. When you don't have to wait over a year between seasons and a week or two between episodes it really does gel together a lot better.

The only thing I'll say about the ending is that it gives you a conflict resolution first, then a character resolution second, and finally a mythology resolution. Most people liked the first, some were iffy about the second, and VERY split on the third. I'll admit they were less subtle about it toward the end in an attempt to write everything in together though.

Fortunately, if you got bored in the middle of season 4, there's a fantastic reveal in the mid-season finale episode that could serve as a huge downer ending if you didn't want to continue. But there's some great stuff after that too.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Count Choculitis posted:

Gonna go against most people in this thread and say I really liked the way they ended BSG. No, they didn't have everything planned out from the start (the way Lost does)

Funny how things change; it wasn't that long ago that the conventional wisdom stated the exact reverse.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

Bozz posted:

To be specific I too came to a halt with the last season. Already before that point the show had started to feel like a chore, but oddly enough I continued. Maybe because of all the time I had already invested in the show. With the last season it simply - as you say yourself - started to feel like regular work. I don't need that.
Was it always this bad or did the show seriously worsen over the seasons I don't know, and I'm not gonna find out. Also we are definitely not alone because allot of my friends had the same feeling only earlier in the show. I must have been blind to the truth.

EDIT:
The downer ending a bunch of you are mentioning is where I stopped. Maybe for the better then.

Jarl fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 27, 2009

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My brother told me today he just finished season 3. Now, I liked season 4 and the finale, and I told him as much, but I did also say that fan opinion was split and he should prepare himself. I think that's the only "truth" about it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Been watching seasons 11 and 12 of The Simpsons lately and there's more than a few episodes I haven't seen in years and I'm going to say it now, they're not nearly as bad as the internet (or even my 17 year old self) would claim. Yes, they're different from seasons 2-8 of the show but they're still funny. Maybe my tastes have changed somewhat since these episodes first aired 9 years ago or maybe the recent trend of more wacky humor seen in a lot of shows (Family Guy, American Dad, Robot Chicken, Tim and Eric, ect ect) has allowed me to watch these without that harsh "ugh it was better back then" judgment in my eyes. In either case these seasons have been enjoyable for me and I'm actually looking forward to the next few sets. Seasons 12 was the last one I watched as it aired back in 2000-2001, before being a teenager meant I'd rather spend Sunday nights out with friends sitting around complaining there's nothing to do in this lovely town instead of inside in front of the TV so there's a lot I haven't seen.

And really, the panda rape is both funny and plot appropriate. If it's any consolidation Matt Groening was against it before they got to the original final act which involved Homer dressed as Santa throwing pigs blood on a crowd of onlooking children and decided that was a more pressing thing to argue against.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Funny how things change; it wasn't that long ago that the conventional wisdom stated the exact reverse.

He was being sarcastic, or at least I hope he was. The amount of arse-covering retcon in the season finale should make it obvious to anyone that saw it that until recently they were completely winging it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Been watching seasons 11 and 12 of The Simpsons lately and there's more than a few episodes I haven't seen in years and I'm going to say it now, they're not nearly as bad as the internet (or even my 17 year old self) would claim. Yes, they're different from seasons 2-8 of the show but they're still funny. Maybe my tastes have changed somewhat since these episodes first aired 9 years ago or maybe the recent trend of more wacky humor seen in a lot of shows (Family Guy, American Dad, Robot Chicken, Tim and Eric, ect ect) has allowed me to watch these without that harsh "ugh it was better back then" judgment in my eyes. In either case these seasons have been enjoyable for me and I'm actually looking forward to the next few sets. Seasons 12 was the last one I watched as it aired back in 2000-2001, before being a teenager meant I'd rather spend Sunday nights out with friends sitting around complaining there's nothing to do in this lovely town instead of inside in front of the TV so there's a lot I haven't seen.

And really, the panda rape is both funny and plot appropriate. If it's any consolidation Matt Groening was against it before they got to the original final act which involved Homer dressed as Santa throwing pigs blood on a crowd of onlooking children and decided that was a more pressing thing to argue against.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Simpsons gets a lot funnier in re-runs. Even the newer seasons. There are a few absolute god-awful episodes (Bart becomes a cowboy), but episodes like the film festival ("Chalmskin productions") are actually legitimately funny a second and third time around.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 27, 2009

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Flatscan posted:

He was being sarcastic, or at least I hope he was. The amount of arse-covering retcon in the season finale should make it obvious to anyone that saw it that until recently they were completely winging it.

I was not being sarcastic. I legitimately liked the ending. Yes they were doing a bunch of rear end-covering, but whatever, I still thought it was a good ending to a great show. But I like pretty much anything I watch so I guess I'm just easily pleased. :)

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Choculitis posted:

I was not being sarcastic. I legitimately liked the ending. Yes they were doing a bunch of rear end-covering, but whatever, I still thought it was a good ending to a great show. But I like pretty much anything I watch so I guess I'm just easily pleased. :)

I think they were talking about where you said Lost was plotted out from the beginning which obviously couldn't be further from the truth.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
I somehow got the impression that the discussion was about Battlestar Galactica.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

doctor thodt posted:

I think they were talking about where you said Lost was plotted out from the beginning which obviously couldn't be further from the truth.

But a lot of it is plotted out. Moreso than BSG was anyway. I mean before they decided on 6 seasons, yeah they were trying to stretch it out a lot (oh god season 3) but you can definitely see a lot of stuff in the early seasons coming back in later ones.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tastychicken posted:

I somehow got the impression that the discussion was about Battlestar Galactica.

No, I don't think that's what Flatscan was talking about.

Count Choculitis posted:

But a lot of it is plotted out. Moreso than BSG was anyway. I mean before they decided on 6 seasons, yeah they were trying to stretch it out a lot (oh god season 3) but you can definitely see a lot of stuff in the early seasons coming back in later ones.

It "came back" because they couldn't just let all of that poo poo go unexplained; they definitely retconned most of it. BSG may have been sloppy and on-the-fly a lot of the time but it was unquestionably more cohesive and planned-out than Lost has ever been.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 27, 2009

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I just made my way through Firefly and then watched Serenity. And holy poo poo. The movie is a hell of a lot darker than the show was. I really enjoyed it leaving an open bookend to a short-lived masterpiece of a show, but I do have a bad taste in my mouth. I really don't think they should have killed Wash or Shepherd, especially Shepherd. Wash, I can see in order to make the ending bittersweet since now the ship is never what it use to be, without its pilot. Also it leaves Zoey a changed character. But Shepherd? Goddamn he was awesome :(

But the part where Serenity emerges from Reaver space was goddamn amazing. I knew it was going to happen and it was still great.

The show has a much better pace, though. The characters are themselves and much more entertaining.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Been binging through Red Dwarf on Netflix on demand. I watched a bit of it on PBS back in the day, but for a low budget sci-fi comedy series it has some seriously cool ideas. I just watched S2 Ep 3, "Thanks for the Memories," where drunken Lister and drunken Rimmer sort of bond, and Lister decides to give Rimmer a Deathday gift of a memory of a passionate love affair. "Should have just given him a tie."

I hear the later seasons are pretty bad, is there a particular jump the shark moment when I should walk away?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Count Choculitis posted:

Think you got the wrong end of the stick on what I was saying. I meant that I though you were being sarcastic about Lost being planned out from the beginning, not BSG being good. I too though the end to BSG was very well done (dancing robot montage aside).

sos
Dec 9, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I think most people wouldn't agree. Most tend to like seasons 3 and 4 the most, if anything.

For whatever reason most people don't care for season 2 as much the first time through, but if/when they go back to rewatch later they find they like just as much, if not more, than the rest. I can tell you that it's my personal favorite.

You have to understand, The Wire is not a police procedural, nor is it about the war on drugs. It's bigger than that. The second season is where David Simon really starts to hit home what the series is really about; the institutions we assign ourselves to, and how they ultimately fail us. The first season was the war on drugs, and the second season is the collapse of the working class. It all fits together when you understand how these various places and concepts are failing these people.

Also don't try to look at the story arcs in each season as isolated. EVERYTHING flows and fits together. There's poo poo being set up virtually every single episode that may not be touched upon until the final season. "All the pieces matter", after all.

Really, though, the way the second season develops is really gut wrenching. Outside of maybe season 4 it has probably my favorite finale and payoff of a given season in the show. I can't imagine you'll end the season feeling the way you do now.

Vivek posted:

So season 2 is the hardest season to appreciate, because it's very different from all the others. It's not until the second time around do most people appreciate how good it is. That being said, even if you don't enjoy it, seasons 3 and 4 will turn it around for you in that they take they story back to the streets in a big way. Most people say season 4 is the best, with season 3 being a close second.

edit: Okay, looks like I said pretty much the same thing as the guy before me. Seriously, though, I know The Wire gets hyped up a lot around here, but it's the one show that, for me anyway, absolutely blew away even my highest expectations for it.

Thanks guys, I finished season 2 and came out of it even more fulfilled then when I watched season 1. I just ordered season 3 and can't wait till it arrives.

Matisyahu
Apr 8, 2009
To give someone a visa simply because they intend to claim refugee status is retarded

I hate the lazy welfare class and people from terribly disadvantaged circumstances

Please ask my why my father decided to poor.
Just watched the first 4 seasons of Oz in the last few weeks and I can't get enough. Never what is going to happen or if your favourite character one episode will be dead the next...

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

thrakkorzog posted:

Been binging through Red Dwarf on Netflix on demand. I watched a bit of it on PBS back in the day, but for a low budget sci-fi comedy series it has some seriously cool ideas. I just watched S2 Ep 3, "Thanks for the Memories," where drunken Lister and drunken Rimmer sort of bond, and Lister decides to give Rimmer a Deathday gift of a memory of a passionate love affair. "Should have just given him a tie."

I hear the later seasons are pretty bad, is there a particular jump the shark moment when I should walk away?

I personally thought it went downhill a little after the 4th series, but it gets WAY worse after series 6. Don't watch beyond that, it's just not worth it.

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

Literally binging through Mad Men. Just watched Season 1 in the span of two days (hey i was sick) and plan to watch Season 2 this weekend. There are so many things about this show that do what other shows like it cannot come close to. My friend said S2 is even better so I'm pretty excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I finally got around to getting Babylon 5. I'm going to start it when I get home from work today. My favorite time to start binging a show is when I'm too hungover to do anything else.

Good times.