Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

bowmore posted:

So Dark is worth watching if the first episode didn’t grab me?

The end of ep 2 is the point where (spoiled already on this very page) the time travel reveal occurs. But the whole story can be described as a slow burn mystery, kind of like if :lost: was written with an ending in mind from the get go rather that just written to string viewers along week after week to win the ratings war. To that end, I'd say it's one of the few series that would benefit from episodes being released weekly rather than via netflix seasonal dumps. I'd recommend sticking it out through episode 3 before you say, "nah, not for me."

Lycus posted:

I don't think the comparison with Stranger Things makes much sense, other than both being sci-fi.

Stranger Things compares to Dark the same way that Independence Day compares to Arrival. If you start listing individual elements, they can sound the same (right down to an oscar nominated black actor playing a soldier who's interested in deciphering an alien code) but they are fundamentally different in terms of plot, pacing, tone, and intended audience, while both are still incredibly enjoyable cinematic experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The old science man voiceovers/exposition with the silly "machine" got annoying to me, other than that I liked Dark.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the first three episodes of The Expanse aren't great but it just gets better every episode from there. The early episodes dumps a billion characters and world building on you and it's overwhelming with confusing accents and three factions and conspiracies all going on at once.

Hmm, I gave up after the first 2 episodes. Was boring and hard to understand some characters. But maybe I should try it again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Episode 3 is when you meet Anderson Dawes, played by Jarrod Harris of Mad Men and Chernobyl fame.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Hmm, I gave up after the first 2 episodes. Was boring and hard to understand some characters. But maybe I should try it again.

Same happened to me. Than I tried again and watched the first 2 seasons in a few days. Its good, way better than it looks at first

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I couldn't keep watching designated survivor because it was presenting me with a portrayal of politics which I could deem was false just by opening my eyes and looking out my window.

It's like trying to watch west wing after 2016. You just cant take it in any way seriously.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Whoah lolthats never happened to me before.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 16, 2019

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Flight Bisque posted:

The wife and I have been working through Lucifer because why not and it's pretty ok I think. If nothing else its perfectly serviceable background noise procedural tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXIRt0uG3D0&t=8s

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My wife has been on a Lucifer kick, so I pretty much have watched it here and there. I do enjoy how tongue in cheek the show is at times (that part reminds me of a tamer version of True Blood) and the overall arching plot is not bad, but the crime of the week part of the show is really hard for me to watch.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just finished watching 5 seasons of the UK police procedural, Line of Duty, concerning a police anti-corruption unit (American equivalent of Internal Affairs) and their battle against police corrupted by organized crime, or "bent coppers." Full of the usual red herrings that Brits seem to love but done exceptionally well. I would say it's the best British cop show I've seen, except for maybe Luther, and would probably make my top 10 police procedurals.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SaintFu posted:

Not British, but I liked Brokenwood Mysteries a lot.

Requoting an old post to say I have watched up through S2 ep3 and love the setting and characters but the episodes are a bit long.
E;

wormil fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 22, 2019

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Even though there's only 6 episodes to watch so far, I've really been enjoying City on a Hill from Showtime. Set during the early 90's Kevin Bacon stars as a corrupt Boston FBI agent investigating a money truck heist gone wrong, and he is awesome in the role. Anyone else watching this?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I watched the first two or three and it didn't really grab me. Has the plot picked up much since then? I get spending a little time getting to know the characters and setting but I just didn't really care about any of them in those first few episodes.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I watched the first episode of City On The Hill and wasn't impressed despite liking the setting and genre.
I just couldn't stand Kevin Bacon's dialogue. I get that we're supposed to hate him but his lines were just awful and everything about him just seemed so stereotypical.
I might give it another shot if his character grows a bit in later episodes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought much the same, it's like it's trying it's hardest to be as good as the wire, and with Boston as the backdrop it should be able to pull it off. But there are zero likeable characters that have that Boston charm

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I'm trying to find something new to watch. I like brainless fun things like Lucifer or heartwarming comedies like Brooklyn 99/The Good Place/One Day at a Time. Any good stuff I might have missed?

Just blew through Blown Away on Netflix, it is a blown glass competition reality show. Glass-blowing is super cool so I enjoyed it, it's very by-the-numbers reality competition though.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Hawkperson posted:

I'm trying to find something new to watch. I like brainless fun things like Lucifer or heartwarming comedies like Brooklyn 99/The Good Place/One Day at a Time. Any good stuff I might have missed?

I had always written it off for some reason, but my roommate is watching Modern Family right now and it's much more fun than I thought.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Hawkperson posted:

For comedies Better of Ted is a pretty reliable choice. Similar sort of goofy and mainstream, but with a hint of subversion as something like The Good Place. Added bonus that it was a show that got better as it went on. I was also a big fan of Happy Endings as a heartwarming but slightly off-kilter post-friends sitcom.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
The Mick.

I guess some people recommended it in this thread already.

It's like Always Sunny mixed with a wholesome family comedy and ends up somewhere in the middle (probably closer to always sunny). Really good stuff.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hawkperson posted:

Just blew through Blown Away on Netflix, it is a blown glass competition reality show. Glass-blowing is super cool so I enjoyed it, it's very by-the-numbers reality competition though.

Yeah, I've been watching Blown Away too. It's a lot of fun and each episode is only half an hour so they don't need to pad it out with reality show drama bullshit.

If you like The Good Place, I think you'd like Pushing Daisies too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The glass blowing show? Really?

Is there like a hook or am I just really disrespecting how exciting glass blowing is?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tell me there is a judge dressed like a magician and i'll watch an episode for science.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Is there like a hook or am I just really disrespecting how exciting glass blowing is?

Glass blowing is pretty, ok :colbert: It is pretty lol how mild the drama is though. I'm just here for the pretty glass. No judge costumes but one of the guest judges is a ballerina!

Thanks for all the recommendations, y'all have good taste. It's probably time to rewatch Pushing Daisies. It's downright weird seeing who guest starred on that show though. If you ever wondered what Joel McHale looked like pre-hairplugs......

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hawkperson posted:

Always gonna recommend Letterkenny. If you don't care for the season 1 cold open, it's probably not for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2GVcjXXI8

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Slamhound posted:

Always gonna recommend Letterkenny. If you don't care for the season 1 cold open, it's probably not for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2GVcjXXI8

Letterkenny, Derry Girls, Wayne, Cobra Kai, Future Man... Though I guess most of those are more quirky than heartwarming. Still funny shows though.

Be warned that the first three might gently caress up your grasp of the English language for weeks after watching.

If detective procedurals with a weird main character are your thing you could also try Monk, or even older stuff like Poirot?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Meatgrinder posted:

Letterkenny, Derry Girls, Wayne, Cobra Kai, Future Man... Though I guess most of those are more quirky than heartwarming. Still funny shows though.

Be warned that the first three might gently caress up your grasp of the English language for weeks after watching.

If detective procedurals with a weird main character are your thing you could also try Monk, or even older stuff like Poirot?
Wayne is fantastic, but I'd say it requires more attention than what Hawkperson might be looking for.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Kim's Convenience is pretty breezy and funny.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

I watched the first two or three and it didn't really grab me. Has the plot picked up much since then? I get spending a little time getting to know the characters and setting but I just didn't really care about any of them in those first few episodes.

Yeah it does start a bit slow and I was almost gonna bail on the show, but the plot has picked up a bit in the last couple episodes. Hopefully it maintains that energy. Can't blame many of you for being turned off by it as some of it has felt like a more boring The Wire.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Okay, it's not exactly pulse-pounding drama, but for me it's fun watching skilled, creative people produce amazing work.

Hawkperson posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations, y'all have good taste. It's probably time to rewatch Pushing Daisies. It's downright weird seeing who guest starred on that show though. If you ever wondered what Joel McHale looked like pre-hairplugs......

And the shameless use of Kristin Chenoweth's tits. They were pretty blatant about putting her in situations where she had to bounce up and down.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Selachian posted:

And the shameless use of Kristin Chenoweth's tits. They were pretty blatant about putting her in situations where she had to bounce up and down.

My kryptonite of 5 foot blondes strikes again. Say no more.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
What's the goon opinion of Patriot on Amazon?

I have found very sparse fanfare on the show, which is absolutely a phenomenal and truly singular piece of work.

Like a bizarre mix of the more subtle moments of Wes Anderson and Franzen mixed in with a black ops intelligence drama.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

vivisectvnv posted:

I have found very sparse fanfare on the show, which is absolutely a phenomenal and truly singular piece of work.

Like a bizarre mix of the more subtle moments of Wes Anderson and Franzen mixed in with a black ops intelligence drama.

Official goon opinion was last i heard 95% positive with a 5% margin of error for stoned and drunk postings

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

vivisectvnv posted:

It is cool.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Patriot is arguably the most underrated show of all time. I try to get everyone I know to watch it and they won't, even online it seems to have a small audience.

Derry Girls was mentioned above, we started that and my wife hated the girls so we quit. I thought it was amusing but couldn't understand anything they said.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't mean to be a dick about the glass blowing show. If you dig it that's cool. I just meant to be asking if like its a thing that just happens to appeal to a specific interest I was unaware of or if it was like something extra about it like that Netflix muppet monster Martha Stewart show.

I guess the fact that the show exists at all should have indicated to me that "glass blowing" has an audience.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

vivisectvnv posted:

If you like Patriot make sure you check out Perpetual Grace, LTD! Same creator and many of the same actors show up in delightful roles.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

My wife and I both dig competition shows that are a) low stakes/drama and b) highlighting an interesting artistic skill or passion

(Great British Baking Show is the gold standard example)

So Blown Away was right up our alley. We also enjoyed Making It with Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman, and we watched waaay too much Face Off on Sci-fi.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess that makes sense. I've never been into like the "plop down and watch 2 hours of Chopped" thing. But obviously I get that it works for a lot of people.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

It’s the perfect “don’t have to give my full attention” programming

Except Chopped, which sucks

Sumo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Chopped sucks? I watch an episode here or there and it seems genuine and apparently they get along and have fun off camera. I find it repetitive and a little boring but sucks?