Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The choose your own adventure they just did was probably the best the show has ever been.

Pro tip: choosing the same bad option a couple times in a row will sometimes get you different outcomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

showbiz_liz posted:

My roommates and I are completely obsessed with Alone, the History Channel show where wilderness survival experts try to outlast each other alone in extreme locations. They have a small amount of survival gear and that's it. The winner is the one who remains after everyone else taps out or is pulled for medical reasons. All filming is done by the contestants themselves, and they never see any other human except during required medical checks.

It's almost completely gimmick-free, and it increasingly attracts REALLY serious competitors, to the point where even getting on the show is now one of the highest honors in the survival/homesteading/ancestral skills/etc communities. The first couple of seasons were mostly skilled amateurs, but now winners are lasting 2+ months out there before the next-to-last person taps out, and are building full cabins with loving chimneys and stuff and taking down big game with primitive bows. It rules.

Only caveat: hunting and fishing is a big part of the show, and contestants are frequently shown killing animals onscreen. All of them are very concerned with doing it humanely, but it still might be too much for some people. My roommates are both vegetarians and have no problem with it though.

Accidentally started with season 6 on Netflix tonight but we love it.

One question: I know they carry 65 pounds worth of camera equipment but how do they deal with batteries dying and SD cards filling? Do they start out with enough equipment for a few months or are helicopters dropping supplies in?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

nwin posted:

Accidentally started with season 6 on Netflix tonight but we love it.

One question: I know they carry 65 pounds worth of camera equipment but how do they deal with batteries dying and SD cards filling? Do they start out with enough equipment for a few months or are helicopters dropping supplies in?

New battery packs and SD cards and stuff are dropped off during the required medical checks. These are rarely shown on the show, but I think they happen relatively frequently, like once a week or so. Apparently the medical staff isn't really even allowed to talk to the contestants beyond what's necessary to do the checks and replace equipment.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We watched Warrior Nun on Netflix. One of those that seemed like it might have promise but it was pretty bad and boring. Not campy enough to be fun and not unique enough to be interesting. Acting was ok, effects were ok, but one of those shows that either swamped you with unnecessary inner monologues or expository dialog, and extremely predictable plot twists. I don't know the source material if it matters. I feel like the actors could kind of tell it was bad by the end of the season.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
y'all I might have cried multiple times watching The Baby-Sitters Club

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

TheAardvark posted:

Just finished watching through the entirety of 30 Rock over the last month. What a great series finale! There was even an Aardvark joke in it! I haven't felt this sad about running out of a tv show in ages.

Did you see the 4 episodes with blackface that have been pulled? Perhaps they will never be found again.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

There's going to be a reunion ep of 30 Rock next week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRHxBP3wEyw

I hate-watched s1&2 of Project Blue Book. An X-Files wanna-be, but with mediocre writing and leads with no charisma. Show was rightfully cancelled.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Did you see the 4 episodes with blackface that have been pulled? Perhaps they will never be found again.

I watched all but one of them, the first one, via Dailymotion uploads that were sped up to counter copyright strikes.

I technically still have one unwatched episode, I guess - I just skipped the first pulled one.

Ladydad
Mar 23, 2008
We've been ripping through seasons of Survivor at warp speed. Never seen it, and it's a nice break from the future chapters of a textbook we're currently living in.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'
Whizzed through Banshee on a whim last week.
Brilliant (though daft as hell - all the baddies went to stormtrooper shooting school) and was genuinely sad to finish it.

I'm so used to shows getting canned before they end and I really can't decide how an actual "ending" to a show made me feel, other than I feel I want to watch more.
Just started flicking through the origins bits on youtube too.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Started Frasier as my background sitcom yesterday. I watched some of episodes here and there when it originally aired. It's still pretty funny and David Hyde Pierce does some really good subtle physical comedy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TMMadman posted:

Started Frasier as my background sitcom yesterday. I watched some of episodes here and there when it originally aired. It's still pretty funny and David Hyde Pierce does some really good subtle physical comedy.

It's my absolute favorite show. Even the bits that don't hold up aren't aggressively bad (with one notable exception). I'm really upset it's not on Netflix anymore.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's my absolute favorite show. Even the bits that don't hold up aren't aggressively bad (with one notable exception). I'm really upset it's not on Netflix anymore.

It's on Hulu instead.

It really does have some good chemistry and characters going on in it. The whole sexual tension thing with Nile/Daphne is just really funny, Frasier is great at being sarcastic and biting without being an actual bad guy/rear end in a top hat, Daphne and her insane stories are also funny.

It's just a good quality 90s sitcom.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TMMadman posted:

It's on Hulu instead.

It really does have some good chemistry and characters going on in it. The whole sexual tension thing with Nile/Daphne is just really funny, Frasier is great at being sarcastic and biting without being an actual bad guy/rear end in a top hat, Daphne and her insane stories are also funny.

It's just a good quality 90s sitcom.

I have to agree. I think Frasier holds up better than Cheers--it's probably one of the better spinoff sitcoms in TV history.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Frasier is dated by things like wardrobe and technology, but in many other ways it is essentially timeless because it avoided pop culture and topical references, unlike other sitcoms of its era like Friends and, especially, Seinfeld. That makes Frasier extremely rewatchable and approachable to new audiences.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

clown shoes posted:

Frasier is dated by things like wardrobe and technology, but in many other ways it is essentially timeless because it avoided pop culture and topical references, unlike other sitcoms of its era like Friends and, especially, Seinfeld. That makes Frasier extremely rewatchable and approachable to new audiences.

And with the exception of 5-7 stinker episodes, the quality holds up till the end. Definitely dips a bit in later seasons but it's still good till the last episode which can't be said for most other shows.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I wawtched this Australian reality show on Netflix called Back with the Ex, following 4 couples who split up in the past, and now are deciding to see if it's worth giving the relationship another chance. Picture how awkward you think this premise is, it is way more awkward than that. It is the most cringeworthy thing I have ever seen and could only have been produced by a complete lunatic. I really recommend you watch it because holy poo poo this was a bad idea for the people involved. I find it fascinating, but I have absolutely no sympathy for the people involved for deciding to do this through a reality show, they have everything that is coming to them. It follows 4 couples -- one of which is a pair of 50 year olds who both married and divorced separate people they had kids with, a pair of 24 year olds who split a few years ago when one of them cheated, a 26 year old who looks 40 and his much younger ex-girlfriend, and two 34 year olds who seem boring but have really loving dark revelations revealed in the second episode. It is immediately clear that each person involved in this show needed therapy instead of going on to this show, but that wouldn't be fun to watch would it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPDgQEWzMzA

I started on 90 Day Fiance (starting with season 2) too and there has not been a show that has made me feel better about my life and decisions than this.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Started watching Undercover on Netflix. Seems to be a fun little undercover detective show from Belgium. The premise and plot is pretty drat simple so far but I'm enjoying it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

piratepilates posted:

I started on 90 Day Fiance (starting with season 2) too and there has not been a show that has made me feel better about my life and decisions than this.
OMG i just have been watching this and I feel so bad for pretty much every one of the non-Americans. The Americans on this show run the gamut from lunatic to serial killer to ghoulish pedophile.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I watched through The Order on Netflix a week ago. I had never heard of it. It reminded me of The Magicians, but a bit more understated. I liked it more than The Magicians, but I haven't finished all of The Magicians yet.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

mcmagic posted:

OMG i just have been watching this and I feel so bad for pretty much every one of the non-Americans. The Americans on this show run the gamut from lunatic to serial killer to ghoulish pedophile.

It's craziness from all sides. A quarter of the non-americans in season 2 seem to be controlling assholes, the rest just seem to be oblivious to most of america not being like new york or LA. All of the americans in season 2 however just seem to be complete idiots who have not thought this through at all.

This guy is in the "most popular boy band in Nicaragua", so you're going to marry him and bring him to america right after he releases a hit record, to a rural part of Illinois that is a 3 hours drive from chicago, where he knows no one and has no family or support structure aside from your own, when he speaks little english, has little skills in terms of work, and the only musical skills he seems to have are "being in a boy band",

and then the (american) wife gets offended when her mother suggests he work in the local meat-packing plant. What else is he going to do? What exactly did you envision the plan would be when he got to america?

And that's one of the least dumb couples from the season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

piratepilates posted:

It's craziness from all sides. A quarter of the non-americans in season 2 seem to be controlling assholes, the rest just seem to be oblivious to most of america not being like new york or LA. All of the americans in season 2 however just seem to be complete idiots who have not thought this through at all.

This guy is in the "most popular boy band in Nicaragua", so you're going to marry him and bring him to america right after he releases a hit record, to a rural part of Illinois that is a 3 hours drive from chicago, where he knows no one and has no family or support structure aside from your own, when he speaks little english, has little skills in terms of work, and the only musical skills he seems to have are "being in a boy band",

and then the (american) wife gets offended when her mother suggests he work in the local meat-packing plant. What else is he going to do? What exactly did you envision the plan would be when he got to america?

And that's one of the least dumb couples from the season.

The girl who married the guy in the boy band was just a total space cadet but what the hell did he think he was going to do in the US? I doubt his career was going as well in Nicaragua as they kind of showed it was on the show or he would've at least had a little bit of a nest egg for them to live on until he was able to do music in the US. Though his manager seemed like a real piece of poo poo so who knows. And yeah, they were the least dumb couple by far. That 59 year old creep who married the 19year old girl loving made my skin crawl.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 12, 2020

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The 100. It's pretty much finished now so is a good time to binge the whole thing.

Getting to the end of S5 and it's become The 100 ways in which Radiation Does Not Work That Way.

I'm loving it though, it's one of those fast-paced post-apoc sci-fantasy shows that twists and turns and pushes its characters through ridiculous arcs, whose plot would not hold up to any kind of scrutiny at all... but it's fun, and it keeps one-upping itself in the most amusing fashion as to the escalating level of atrocities the main characters end up committing.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The 100 is better than it should be and is one of my favorite currently airing shows.
I wasn't a fan of S6 and S7 at first but now it's getting better halfway through.

Anyone on the fence about trying it, just get through the first 3-4 episodes and it becomes a different but Good Show.

Genghis Clarke owns. I really hope they stick the landing.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Genghis Clarke truly rocks but honourable mention to Octavia "Bloodrayne" or whatever the gently caress she gets called holy poo poo lmao.

Edit (s5 spoilers) OMG she's gotta go, she just burned down an entire working hydroponics lab just so that she can go to war and kill hundreds of people.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 12, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Currently watching: My Life is Murder. Australian show we're getting on Acorn. Lucy Lawless is an ex-cop who can't keep away from solving crimes. Fairly light, well produced crime procedural. It's not breaking any new ground. We're half-way through the first season.

Recent watches/ re-watches:

Schitt's Creek (we watched on Netflix + Amazon for the last season). It took until about Season 2 to really enjoy it, but later seasons we were really rooting for the characters.

Longmire (watched on Netflix). I have an affinity to this show from spending quite a bit of time out in Wyoming (I know I know it was filmed in New Mexico but whatever). Small town sheriff solves a bunch of sometimes really dark crimes. Mixes crime of the week and long-running mysteries. Realistic police work? No. Nice scenery? yes. Good supporting cast including Katee Sackhoff and Lou Diamond Phillips.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The first 3 seasons of The 100 were dramatic and fast paced enough to disguise the nonsensical plot but about the 14th time Clark gets double crossed by grounders and lets her people die, and is still portrayed as a great leader; and the sky people who want to defend themselves from genocide are the bad guys, I checked out.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

It is a Bad Show, but it is a Good Bad Show.

:lol: I cannot believe how comical this is getting hahahaha she oversaw an empire where you will be a cannibal at gunpoint or die aaaahahahahaha this is just too funny.

Bring on the last two seasons because I can't wait to see the insane levels of escalation I've been promised by the last 5 seasons of escalation.

Ya gotta watch this show, Jeey zuus far king cryst

Cactus fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 13, 2020

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The 100 Is the best bad show

After season 3 it really snowballs on the craziness and stupidity. I dont think theres a single character I dont hate but is still fun to watch

I didint started on S7 yet, though

edit: I love that it started as an almost average post-apocaliptic story and by S6 they survived 2 new apocalipses (AI genocide and PRYMEFYRA), caused one themselves (S5) and than destroyed an alien planet

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 14, 2020

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is Medici on Netflix any good? For me period shows like that either seem to really hit the spot, or kind of suck. I need something to fill the void Dark is leaving. Doesn't have to be the same genre, just something good/well made. Something I can really get absorbed into and binge.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 14, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'm starting Gypsy - just seen a couple of episodes and it's really really interesting me. It's the first show in a long while where I really have no idea what's going on, or where it's going.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I plowed through the new Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix. I'd say the second episode and the UFO episode were the closest to the old types of stories they used to air. The rest of them were just kind of interesting stories. Haven't decided how I feel about the reboot yet, but I don't feel like a wasted my time watching it so I guess it's at least OK.

I'm also obsessed with Alone because of this thread. Me and my girlfriend have watched through all of season 6, 1, and 2. I'm actually thinking of getting Hulu just to see the rest of them. And I loving hate Hulu.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Solice Kirsk posted:

I plowed through the new Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix. I'd say the second episode and the UFO episode were the closest to the old types of stories they used to air. The rest of them were just kind of interesting stories. Haven't decided how I feel about the reboot yet, but I don't feel like a wasted my time watching it so I guess it's at least OK.

I'm also obsessed with Alone because of this thread. Me and my girlfriend have watched through all of season 6, 1, and 2. I'm actually thinking of getting Hulu just to see the rest of them. And I loving hate Hulu.

We loved S6 of Alone but could not get behind the first and second season. You went from a ton of experts to dudes that literally couldn’t last a day.

We’re on season 5 and it’s much more to our liking. Not sure about season 4 because it’s about a family or people finding each other or something.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Yeah, thanks to this thread I literally cannot stop thinking about/watching Alone... the animal deaths can be pretty rough to watch but it's just so INTERESTING and intense!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
So I've been watching Midnight Gospel, which is an animated show on a dude who travels to planets for his podcast? honestly the dialogue feels like people trying to think 'deeply', but the animation and the non-verbal stories happening in the background were enough to keep me going. Worth it if you like animation alone

Netflix

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is Medici on Netflix any good? For me period shows like that either seem to really hit the spot, or kind of suck. I need something to fill the void Dark is leaving. Doesn't have to be the same genre, just something good/well made. Something I can really get absorbed into and binge.

I thought it was pretty decent, yeah. Worth a try if you're into period shows.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I am watching Alone too, but I started with season 1. Definitely curious to see how much better the competitors get in later seasons. It's interesting how quickly the days started going by after the weak people dropped out. I'm getting close to the end and there's one guy who has only been on screen a couple times.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

phosdex posted:

I am watching Alone too, but I started with season 1. Definitely curious to see how much better the competitors get in later seasons.

A lot better but not until the last couple seasons, the first few are people starving slowly. The current season airing has the best yet but they are allowed to hunt more game than previous seasons.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alone season 1 ending spoilers: I really was hoping Sam would win that season. He was just this super young doofy dork that figured he could starve to death in the woods longer than anyone else and it almost worked. I also hated the guy that won. Seemed like a low key piece of poo poo.

But I couldn't be happier with the season two winner. Spoilers: Just an old dude sitting in the woods eating crab. That fuckin' rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
re Alone: How do you hate Alan Kay? That Sam dude has a YouTube channel, last I saw he had bought old house and was fixing it up.