Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Fringe would be my recommendation. There are a couple of alien/monster things in the first few episodes of S1 when it starts out as a sort of MotW serial but after that it becomes much more of a season-long narrative show and it's so good. Plus it has Lance Reddick in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Tell your wife shes missing out on some of the best tv ever in Babylon 5, the anti-trek.

Dark mirror?devs?legion?

Joke answer:blood drive.
Serious answer:BLOOOOOD DRIIIIIIIIIVEEEEE

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Joke answer:blood drive.
Serious answer:BLOOOOOD DRIIIIIIIIIVEEEEE

"a death race in which the cars run on human blood" you say

why am I just now hearing about this mess and where can I watch it

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah Devs fits that description to a tee

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Timeless or Quantum Leap would be good choices.

I was gonna recommend Emergence but I just found out it never got renewed :(

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Cactus posted:

Yeah Devs fits that description to a tee

We actually both liked Devs too (though I think she liked it a bit more than I did). And now that I'm thinking about it, Devs is kind of a great companion piece for Dark. It gets at very similar existential questions from a very different angle.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

showbiz_liz posted:

"a death race in which the cars run on human blood" you say

why am I just now hearing about this mess and where can I watch it

https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/blood-drive

The season finale is a mess, but the journey there is glorious, and its messy and its a loving bloody pulp orgy with a iconic villain.
It exists in a quantum state of not being worth 20 bucks to watch the full season but also completely worth it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Blood Drive was amazing except/until the sister plot.

And another crazy show from Syfy was the one where every apocalypse was happening at once and a family of four is trying to survive it. Aftermath.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

PizzaProwler posted:

Timeless or Quantum Leap would be good choices.

I was gonna recommend Emergence but I just found out it never got renewed :(

God I loved Quantum Leap as a kid. Bet it holds up just fine rewatching it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Meatgrinder posted:

God I loved Quantum Leap as a kid. Bet it holds up just fine rewatching it.

about that....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Looks like a lot of reccos have already been made but Mr. Robot might also fit the bill: Only a hint of SciFi but mostly just hyper-reality and indications it takes place in an alternate universe from our own, but I like it personally for the same reasons I liked Devs and The Leftovers.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Not really a fair assessment. Sure that language is bad and definitely wouldn't fly today, but overall that episode has pretty positive message iirc and the point was to ensure that the guy he jumped into was able to keep his job and be accepted by his coworkers so that he wouldn't die alone in an institution.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Not really a fair assessment. Sure that language is bad and definitely wouldn't fly today, but overall that episode has pretty positive message iirc and the point was to ensure that the guy he jumped into was able to keep his job and be accepted by his coworkers so that he wouldn't die alone in an institution.

He leaps into Nick Mullen?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I used to watch The League with my brother when it first aired, but kinda drifted away from it halfway through, so I went back to rewatch it now on Hulu. It was OK with the occasional really good bit thrown in, often sandwiched between stuff that has aged extremely poorly.

As often happens with long running sitcoms, the characters kinda devolved into one dimensional stereotypes with one characteristic each, so the later seasons seriously started dragging on. At the start of the show Taco, the younger brother of one guy, is a stoner moocher, and towards the end he's pitching literal port-a-potties in people's living rooms, converting everything around him into bongs and driving golf carts around downtown Chicago to play "urban golf".

And of course it leans extremely heavily on the fantasy football thing where pretty much every episode deals with a particular football / fantasy football topic translated into real life. Deflated footballs? How about deflated breast implants! And now this guy is dressed like Bill Belichik and saying things Belichik might have said but in another context!

But yeah, there are some genuinely good jokes and running gags in there so overall it was a fun watch.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 25, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think more than football The League really tapped into that thing when you have a circle of friends who have known each other for a long time and developed so much history and injokes and giving each other poo poo to the point where from an outsider's perspective you all seem like insane psychopaths.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

Can I get a recommendation for cerebral sci-fi TV with few to no aliens/monsters and set on Earth? My roommate has super specific tastes for SF where she loves anything about how people deal with X weird situation but too much blatant "sci fi stuff" will turn her off. So for example we have watched together and enjoyed The Leftovers, Dark, and Lost (her favorite show) but she won't even attempt anything like Star Trek or Buffy - basically if a main character wears latex on their face or they live on a spaceship it's a big no for her.

(I personally think this is ridiculous but w/e it's quarantine times and we're all compromising)

I binged the first season of 3%. It is not The Leftovers, but i thought it was a fun idea.

The concept is that teens are trying to complete a series of challenges to move from slums into a rich futuristic upper class.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I enjoyed s1 of 3%, S2 wasn't bad either. During S3 I lost interest. I think it said all it had to say.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

STAC Goat posted:

I think more than football The League really tapped into that thing when you have a circle of friends who have known each other for a long time and developed so much history and injokes and giving each other poo poo to the point where from an outsider's perspective you all seem like insane psychopaths.

Sure, and that's when the show shines.

But about half of the episodes seem to be built around the concept of "originally timely (but now dated) football reference translated into real life", like they spend the first half of the episode going "how about that time Bill Belichik got caught deflating footballs and spying on people?" and then it turns out that Taco has been deflating Andre's stock of breast implants so he can use them for beer pong, and Andre gets sued by his clients, or dresses like Bill Belichik to make stealthy phone calls to his attorney or something.

Or just bring in some Fox fantasy football guy or fantasy football radio host for a guest spot.

And that's fine, every show needs to draw inspiration from somewhere, and often those jokes do land quite well even if you're not a hardcore football guy. For example, maybe the joke where Ruxin can't tell Jordan Cameron and Cameron Jordan apart gets something extra if you're super into football, but it still works as it is because the joke is ultimately "Ruxin is a dumbass and kind of a racist".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's fair. I haven't seen it since first airing and it probably does date itself and rely on you being at least passingly aware of the NFL at the time of airing. I also played fantasy sports at the time so like, while i think there's something more universal there I also was the exact demo for the premise. So I might just remember it under the best conditions.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
On Amazon Prime there is a new show The Head. Weirdly enough this is not a Snatch prequel series on Doug The Head and his daughters (which there should be) but a Scandinavian noir mystery set on an Antarctic research station where the crew staying through the winter start getting killed one by one. The Scandinavian part comes from the station being a Danish one with some Danish actors in it but it's 75% English language as most of the characters are from all over the world. The show is actually made mostly in Spain by Spanish creators which makes this Spandinavian Noir ?

I'm at 4 out of 6 episodes and it's pretty entertaining as a whodunnit locked-base mystery which drops the reveals nicely one episode at a time as you switch between the relief crew finding the bodies and trying to figure out what happened and scenes in the station before which may or may not actually have happened as it shows. Every episode there is one big twist which is sometimes coming out of nowhere

The relief crew comes and finds everyone dead or missing !

There is a survivor !

Another survivor ! Who claims the first survivor is the killer !

A body is found, someone who is not part of the crew !

There is abandoned station nearby where a tragedy occurred years ago, involving most of the surviving characters !

edit: Amazon Prime in Netherlands

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 27, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm sold. Scandi shows always surprise in how much they feel like American series.
Edit, only place I can find The Head is on IMDb, not on Justwatch or Prime USA.
Edit2, it's on HBO.

wormil fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 27, 2020

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
we watched close enough today. It’s silly ‘smoked a bit too much pot while writing’ animation. If you liked regular show, you’ll like this.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

wormil posted:

So basically what I said.

But that’s not what you said. You implied they changed their policy and they haven’t changed their item policy or types allowed at all.

Also, there have been multiple people that didn’t bring fire starters or axes.

mombot fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 28, 2020

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

isaboo posted:

12Monkeys is one of my favorite shows ever and it definitely gets better as it goes along. Stick with it if you're enjoying it so far. The ending is perfect.
I felt like late season 3/early season 4 ended up in a weird place that a lot of budget sci-fi shows fall into, where the bad guys stronghold just looks like "standard TV show villain set piece #5" instead of an actual functional place, but yeah it does wrap itself up neatly.

kuddles posted:

Looks like a lot of reccos have already been made but Mr. Robot might also fit the bill: Only a hint of SciFi but mostly just hyper-reality and indications it takes place in an alternate universe from our own, but I like it personally for the same reasons I liked Devs and The Leftovers.
Seconding this. Mr. Robot switches pretty effortlessly from a tight hacker thriller to a mindbending existential character study, while still maintaining its core themes throughout. It meanders a bit in the mid-1st season with the neighbor subplot, but even that comes back later as something really significant. The later seasons especially try out some really artistic groundbreaking cinematic stuff that I've never seen a show attempt before. Fantastic cast too.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I liked 12 Monkeys, but once it got to the "witness within a witness within a dream inside of a dream where time is bending!" stage I kinda zoned out. I wish James Callis had more to do in those later episodes too. Still worth watching.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Keyser_Soze posted:

I liked 12 Monkeys, but once it got to the "witness within a witness within a dream inside of a dream where time is bending!" stage I kinda zoned out. I wish James Callis had more to do in those later episodes too. Still worth watching.

Yeah he's a competent actor, shame his role on FTWD was short.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Binging though Six Feet Under with the gf, halfway through season 4 now, some stray thoughts.

- Brenda and Billy in season 1/2 or so were the most annoying characters in TV history. I figured Brenda caused the fire in S1 and had no idea they would last this long. Slowly however they have become two of my favourite characters, I think the writers stopped writing Brenda as the smartest person in the room, and her mum took over the annoying crown. Im not interested in this relationship with Justin Theroux at all though.

- Lots of surprising cameos and cast I didn't expect. Adam Scott, Anna Gunn, Justin Theroux, lots of AHS cast. Rainn Wilson's character was amazing, James Cromwell is good too but I can't see his character going anywhere too interesting.

- Keith got in trouble in his job for using the toilet at the Ellen Show, the same week Ellens been in the news for her workplace being under investigation, made me laugh.

- The last episode we watched was the one where David gets kidnapped. I'm not sure if i loved or hated it. It was pretty intense and I love a good bottle episode, but the kidnapping itself seemed a bit too out of the blue and too much for this show, it was like something out of 24, complete with loads of stupid action cliches when David gets away and then just hides around the corner instead of running of, only to be caught again.

- End of show predictions: I've picked up through cultural osmosis, I think the show ends showing every main characters death in the style of the opening credits, I think even The Simpsons did a parody of it. I think the actual finale will revolve around Nate's death though. Perhaps the thing in his brain comes back, and he will reunite with Brenda in some way before his death, either marriage, or she might adopt the baby.

E: I almost forgot to say Michael C Hall is INCREDIBLE on this show. He fits into the roll perfectly and I can barely imagine him as Dexter after it anymore. David and Keith are the best part of the show in general, their relationship and chemistry is so cute.

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 29, 2020

Roger Henson IV
Jul 27, 2020
Binged the first season of End of the loving world. Now watching Motherland: Fort Salem. Actually pretty decent.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

Binging though Six Feet Under with the gf, halfway through season 4 now, some stray thoughts.

- Brenda and Billy in season 1/2 or so were the most annoying characters in TV history. I figured Brenda caused the fire in S1 and had no idea they would last this long. Slowly however they have become two of my favourite characters, I think the writers stopped writing Brenda as the smartest person in the room, and her mum took over the annoying crown. Im not interested in this relationship with Justin Theroux at all though.

<snip>

- The last episode we watched was the one where David gets kidnapped. I'm not sure if i loved or hated it. It was pretty intense and I love a good bottle episode, but the kidnapping itself seemed a bit too out of the blue and too much for this show, it was like something out of 24, complete with loads of stupid action cliches when David gets away and then just hides around the corner instead of running of, only to be caught again.

I always thought Six Feet Under did a spectacular job of shifting audience sympathies across its run. I started the show with its fifth season, then went back to the first and watched them chronologically, and the sheer difference in Brenda and Nate's characters was shocking. My perspective on Lisa changed a lot as well, though I completely understand why people detested her at the time.

Season 4 is loving tough to watch, and I don't envy you watching it for the first time. So much of it is about how life is just poo poo sometimes, and horrible random things will just happen for no good reason. It's nihilistic, exhausting and just kind of gross, with That's My Dog being by far the most difficult episode, though Bomb Shelter -- the finale -- is also pretty hopeless.

It works within the show as a whole, and Season Five is excellent, but it's loving bleak.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I still haven’t watched SFU since it aired, but it is a show I want to rewatch sooner or later. I do wonder if my thoughts on season 4 would change in a rewatch. Also the season 3 finale gets overlooked (series finale overshadows it) but it is one of my favorites.

I can’t believe Peter Krause is now on some stupid 911 type show.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Is 4 considered one of the strongest or weakest? Season 2 was by far the weakest for us, the whole thing just seemed full of annoying relationship drama with a lot less of what made the others interesting.

Gilmore girls was the show we binged last too so it was funny to look up Nate and see he's in a relationship with Lauren Graham. Especially as there have been at least two jokes in SFU against Gilmore Girls.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The weakest. In season 4 there was a lot of Lisa fatigue too (Nate trying to figure out what happen to her and people being over it). I do think the mattress burning while playing Radiohead’s Lucky was the highlight of season 4.

Myself I thought season 3 was the best season and a perfect buildup to the finale. Season 5 gets better as it goes and at the end the show is peaking again.

Season 2? It has been 18 years since I’ve watched it and in my memory season 1 and 2 almost flow into one season. The fact I can still remember episodes and what happen from the last 3 seasons, but not season 2 I guess does say a lot about it.

I did change my user name to nate fisher during season 5. SFU wouldn’t make my top 10 of greatest shows quality wise (maybe not even top 20), but despite its flaws it was one of my favorite shows of all-time (I would say the same with BSG, but BSG might crack my top 20).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 29, 2020

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

nate fisher posted:

I still haven’t watched SFU since it aired, but it is a show I want to rewatch sooner or later. I do wonder if my thoughts on season 4 would change in a rewatch.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. SFU was for me in what The Sopranos was for most other people in making me realize I should expect more from drama television I watch, although I agree Season 4 seemed to start spinning it's wheels a bit.

I guess the only thing stopping me is a concern it'll be The Wire all over again where they announced the remaster as soon as I was done the rewatch. Even if they don't/can't widescreen it, the versions of SFU available to me on streaming are very standard definition looking.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

Is 4 considered one of the strongest or weakest? Season 2 was by far the weakest for us, the whole thing just seemed full of annoying relationship drama with a lot less of what made the others interesting.

Season 2 is generally considered the strongest, though I think 3 and 5 are easily the best.

4 is definitely the weirdest though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Season 4 did have one episode that was absolutely one of the most harrowing hours of television ever made, though. I swear I was traumatized by that poo poo.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is the second season of Dead to Me any good?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I tried watching SFU after going through The Wire and The Sopranos and I found Brenda so intolerable I only got about twenty minutes into the first episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Season 4 did have one episode that was absolutely one of the most harrowing hours of television ever made, though. I swear I was traumatized by that poo poo.

That's My Dog.

To think there was a time when Scott Buck, of Iron Fist and Inhumans fame, had real talent.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I finally got into the 100 a few weeks back and I am just starting s5. At this point I am basically hate watching it as it's so over the top and silly but I still enjoy it enough to keep going. Am I a bad person?

Also watching Black Sails but I like that a lot more, but I used to be a commercial sailor so I can't help myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just finished binging all of Mindhunters in 2 days. Great show format, I hope Fincher eventually comes back to finish it. Some weak points overall, but all worth it for the actual interview scenes.