Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Loving the new Fargo season so far. Did not expect Chris rock to be in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Just watched Wanted, an Australian show from a few years ago that we found on Netflix. It's kind of The Fugitive meets Thelma and Louise. I liked the main actresses and the first season was pretty decent but the later seasons seemed like a drop-off in writing.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Its such a good show, and every teen caracther has like proper arcs and time to shine, even if the will-they-wont-they kinda wears thin.
Eric is just the best and otis is a mess, marc anthony really did a number on that kid.

I was in awe at how each character got time to go through their arcs and really grow. I thought Jackson was going to be a typical douchey jock but I was blown away by how good his story was

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

"My name is Adam Groth. I'm the headmasters son. I'm poo poo at school, and this is my dick." :roflolmao:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

I really enjoyed watching Bly Manor but there were a ton of plot holes and inconsistencies. It was like it originally written to be set in the 60s then changed to the 80s midway through filming. I was willing to look past almost all of these problems right up until the last 30 minutes of the final episode which felt like it was written by someone who had only been given a brief overview of the rest of the show.

Why were the cast aged up so inconsistently? We saw Jamie and Owen about 10 years after the events of Bly Manor and they had barely aged at all, then at the wedding (a further 10 years on) they had aged way more the supposed 20 years. Uncle Henry was at least 30 years older. Also any gothic horror story which has a character explicitly tell you it "isn't a ghost story, it's a romance" loses points

For me the problem is that when the "plan" is revealed pretty much every interaction up until that point makes no sense at all.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

12 monkeys. It owned.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

isaboo posted:

It's one of my all time favorite shows, easily.

What did you think of the ending? It was pretty much perfect imo

Also, Jennifer Goines is the best

I saw it coming, wanted it, and it felt good

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Red Oktober posted:

I love a bit of Black Mirror so will be checking this out. Looks like it's on Prime rather than Netflix - is that the same show?

Yeah that’s the one I’m just an idiot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Been watching Downton Abbey. I don't know if I like it or not, but for some reason I just keep going. I'm on like the second episode of the second season. I'd say the story line I'm invested in the least is the Bates stuff.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bly Manor would have been so much better without the final episode. Literally ending it with the penultimate episode's closing shot would have been incredible

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Solice Kirsk posted:

Been watching Downton Abbey. I don't know if I like it or not, but for some reason I just keep going. I'm on like the second episode of the second season. I'd say the story line I'm invested in the least is the Bates stuff.

I really liked Bates in season 1, but hated almost everything they did with him after that. Honestly I liked Downton Abbey despite its flaws (I even liked the movie), especially the Matthew and Mary storylines. That said the jump the shark moment for the show is at the end of season 3 (oh you will know when you see it). From that point forward the show was never the same.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Do they introduce time travel? If they introduce time travel then I'm all in.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I really enjoyed what I saw of Downton Abbey, and even liked the movie. Season 2 isn't as good as season 1, but the later episodes I watched were fun to follow with friends. Some people might call it schmaltz, but maybe I like period-piece schmaltz.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Season 1 of Downtown Abbey is by far the best. It's all downhill from here, but you will keep watching until the bitter end because you have grown attached to the characters and want to see how they all end up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I gave up on it after the season 3 Christmas special. Pile of bullshit right there.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bly Manor would have been so much better without the final episode. Literally ending it with the penultimate episode's closing shot would have been incredible

I thought Bly Manor was pretty bad. Episode 8 kind of made my wife and I angry because they decided to take what could have been 5-10 minutes of exposition and stretched it out into a whole episode. On TOP of that, episode 7 ended with Dani getting choked by Viola. Episode 8 ended with The same instance of Dani getting choked by viola and episode 9 finally shows us the conclusion to that series of events Which also kind of doesn't make sense because she took a lot less time to kill peter quint and almost kill Henry but Dani is fine for some reason. The epilogue kind of dragged on too long as well, and the 'reveal' at the end was kind of laughable. Really, there were so many moments in the show where the direction they took was so hackneyed that we both ended up doing a rich evans laugh when they occured. Notably the fiance getting hit by the truck and the 'wait.. my MIDDLE NAME is flora!'. god that was so awful

It wasn't all bad, though! We thought the episode where Helen Grose is revealed to be a ghost was pretty good, and the actor who played Owen kind of carried the whole show on his back with his performance. The fact that it's such a drop in quality compared to hill house made us really disappointed in the show, though.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 23, 2020

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I'm enjoying Bly House because it is 5-7 minutes of content stretched out. That means I can half-watch it while emailing customers and not miss anything crucial. It's not good but it's something.

I've been watching a lot of Daniel Tiger lately and it's a surprisingly depressing world. Lady Elaine Fairchilde probably has the happiest story where she's in recovery and got a hot husband. X and Henrietta broke up at some point and X adopted (?) his nephew who has obviously experienced some pretty deep trauma. Henrietta is a single mom (maybe that's why she and X didn't work out, did she cheat on X?). That and Daniel Striped Tiger is stuck in the clock factory where he grew up alone. Though he does seem to have a nice family, so he's basically the kid who didn't like his hometown but stayed and made it work. Pathetic rather than sad but still not a great message for kids.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Arrrthritis posted:

I thought Bly Manor was pretty bad. Episode 8 kind of made my wife and I angry because they decided to take what could have been 5-10 minutes of exposition and stretched it out into a whole episode. On TOP of that, episode 7 ended with Dani getting choked by Viola. Episode 8 ended with The same instance of Dani getting choked by viola and episode 9 finally shows us the conclusion to that series of events Which also kind of doesn't make sense because she took a lot less time to kill peter quint and almost kill Henry but Dani is fine for some reason. The epilogue kind of dragged on too long as well, and the 'reveal' at the end was kind of laughable. Really, there were so many moments in the show where the direction they took was so hackneyed that we both ended up doing a rich evans laugh when they occured. Notably the fiance getting hit by the truck and the 'wait.. my MIDDLE NAME is flora!'. god that was so awful

It wasn't all bad, though! We thought the episode where Helen Grose is revealed to be a ghost was pretty good, and the actor who played Owen kind of carried the whole show on his back with his performance. The fact that it's such a drop in quality compared to hill house made us really disappointed in the show, though.

The whole "It's you, it's me, it's us" is incredibly stupid and not good enough to be a climax of a 9 hour series. I don't know if I missed something but all the characters just started saying those magic words at one point

Someone said it felt like it was supposed to be set in the 60s and then shifted to the 80s? That feels very accurate

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

The biggest problem with 8 and 9 is that it makes the entirety of the series pointless.

If Peter Quint's goal is to convince the kids to let them take over their bodies why is he "haunting" the au pair before that?
If the kid can come back from the whole "its you its me its us" why can't the baby sitter?
The "rules" by which Viola, Peter and Hannah operate as ghosts are wildly different from each other

None of which would be that big a deal, except that the resolution to the entire series is the au pair figuring out the "rules" to save Flora.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
I just finished Deadwood and the movie ... amazing show, best thing Ian McShanes done since Lovejoy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's a funny misspelling of "Hot Rod."

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm 3 episodes into Mystery Road, an Australian slow-burn mystery on Acorn that is, so far at least, vaguely reminiscent of Broadchurch (investigation in a rural town with a local policewoman butting heads with an out-of-town detective). We are enjoying it so far. Beautiful shots of the outback and nice atmospheric music.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm at the end of season 2 of Downton Abbey and I can already see how silly things are going to get. It's basically turning into a really well costumed soap opera. Schlocky to the point where I physically roll my eyes at things that are happening. I actually kind of love it. There's an awful lot of seasons left to go though. I think I'm gonna eat some pot and watch the season 2 Christmas episode tonight.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's best not to overthink it. Just watch it for the sick Maggie Smith burns and Mr. Carson's eyebrows.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

joepinetree posted:

The biggest problem with 8 and 9 is that it makes the entirety of the series pointless.

If Peter Quint's goal is to convince the kids to let them take over their bodies why is he "haunting" the au pair before that?
If the kid can come back from the whole "its you its me its us" why can't the baby sitter?
The "rules" by which Viola, Peter and Hannah operate as ghosts are wildly different from each other

None of which would be that big a deal, except that the resolution to the entire series is the au pair figuring out the "rules" to save Flora.

Yeah that's a good summation of what bothered me about the show. It starts off strong with Spooky House, rapidly devolves into painfully detailed Here's The Rules of Ghost Haunting, and then resolves it by breaking the freshly established rules. Barf.

Hopefully season 3 of Victoria Pedretti's Grieving Widow Adventures* is a little stronger.

*Season 4 if you count the You spinoff

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm at the end of season 2 of Downton Abbey and I can already see how silly things are going to get. It's basically turning into a really well costumed soap opera. Schlocky to the point where I physically roll my eyes at things that are happening. I actually kind of love it. There's an awful lot of seasons left to go though. I think I'm gonna eat some pot and watch the season 2 Christmas episode tonight.

Once you realize it's a "well costumed soap opera" you will enjoy it a lot more. The British accents mask the whole seedy affair.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
we've never seen deadwood and we got hbo max for a trial and holy poo poo

First season finale was some of the best television I've ever seen

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b87E3kamWOg

My favorite part of Season 2 is the ridiculous time-skips that happen because they are trying to get through all of WW1 while still telling small-scale stories in the Abbey. It kinda reminds me of late Game of Thrones, where characters zoom across the continent while everyone else still acts like their scenes are occurring in close succession.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 24, 2020

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

If you don't mind a slow burn, the original Upstairs, Downstairs may be an attraction.

Downton took a lot from it - they cover the same era - but the writing on UpDown is much better. Downton did have a much, much higher budget, though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm into season three now. I can't seem to just watch one episode at a time, it's always two or three everytime I turn it on. Wish I'd watched this while it was on. I can't imagine how silly the threads got.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The last episode was such a plodding and unnecessary epilogue, I half expected the narrator to get in a boat with Gandalf and sail off into the mist.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I've tried to watch 12 Monkeys twice now. Have only made it two episodes. When does it get good and not bad?

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I binged that show a few months ago and thought it was great.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We binged it recently and finished it last week. My wife and I were on board from the beginning. It does improve after the first few episodes, when two minor characters get more screen time to become the best characters. I know they become full, regular cast members in Season 2, but there's plenty to love in Season 1.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

clown shoes posted:

I've tried to watch 12 Monkeys twice now. Have only made it two episodes. When does it get good and not bad?

The first season is basically, "What if the movie, but on a TV budget?" It has its charms but it is what it is. When they got unexpectedly renewed for a second season there was definitely a moment in the writer's room where the exec gave all the writers a combination of LSD and dantura and told them to go wild. If they need to get the creative juices flowing some more, they can sit in the cockroach bath in the bathroom for extra inspiration.

The show is much better than it has any right to be.

Incelshok Na fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 25, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

12 monkeys owned lol

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

12 monkeys owned lol

It really did. I love setting the low expectations at “you see the movie?” or “end of the world apoc done good” then they settle in. Normally at season 2 my friends are like “wtf” but in the best way. Season 1 gets really going about 3-4 but seriously everyone should stick it out. Bloody good fun.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

DogsInSpace! posted:

It really did. I love setting the low expectations at “you see the movie?” or “end of the world apoc done good” then they settle in. Normally at season 2 my friends are like “wtf” but in the best way. Season 1 gets really going about 3-4 but seriously everyone should stick it out. Bloody good fun.

Agreed, but I haven't seen the movie yet!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Google Butt posted:

12 monkeys. It owned.

Did you have the time of your life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok