Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolhandsarrah
Feb 17, 2009

Ratatozsk posted:

They're all good choices, but can you give us anything else to go on? What else have you liked? What are you looking for in show? BSG is a huge time commitment, but a great sci-fi with excellent story and closure at the end (and spin-offs, if you want more.) Carnivale did an incredible job recreating the time period and had its own weird mythology but was wrapped up sooner than planned and as a result may leave you hanging. The more you give us to work with, the better we can recommend.

I'm not picky, as long as it doesn't drag out too much. I basically only watch 30 Rock and other sitcoms on TV. The occasional Criminal Minds, CSI, etc if I catch it. I really liked True Blood, even if it's a bit campier than the average HBO show. I chose the ones I listed based off reviews (and hype/what I've heard here), production value and length. I plan on watching all of them (that are worth watching), just wanted advice on where to start. Thanks for the suggestions!

edit- engaging story and characters, continuously interesting plot, pretty to look at doesn't hurt. Historical/period pieces are a bonus, but I am a sucker for crime dramas and mysteries.

coolhandsarrah fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

coolhandsarrah posted:

edit- engaging story and characters, continuously interesting plot, pretty to look at doesn't hurt. Historical/period pieces are a bonus

Rome

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Rewatching Deadwood at the moment and loving it. I'm picking up so much more than i did the first time around. Mainly because the first time i watched it i would put it on before bed and fall asleep in and out the whole episode and just miss stuff.

There are still some really weird scenes that i honestly don't get what is going on or the thoughts behind peoples actions though. Maybe they are mistakes or terrible writing like i think or maybe it's the whole "high-art" thing going on.

Edit: Might just ask the questions in the deadwood thread if there is one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I want to get the second season of Chuck on Blu-ray, but have the publishers done anything to assure fans that they won't gently caress up the version this time?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ufarn posted:

I want to get the second season of Chuck on Blu-ray, but have the publishers done anything to assure fans that they won't gently caress up the version this time?

It's still coming from WB, so don't get your hopes up.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

coolhandsarrah posted:

Goons, tell me what to watch next.
Here's a list of contenders:
Mad Men
Dexter
Carnivale
Rome
Generation: Kill
BSG

Can you tell I don't get HBO?
Mad Men - slower paced and quite brilliant
Dexter - pretty good quality and fun
Carnivale - fantastic quality, no proper ending
Rome - really good
Generation Kill - awesome, watch this first
BSG - it goes up and down. I would leave it for last since it's the longest

Bonus: Friday Night Lights. Don't get put off by the premise, after a few episodes you will literally fall in love with it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

It's still coming from WB, so don't get your hopes up.
Do they have bad track record, aside from Chuck Season One?

And what is the reason they aren't releasing the Blu-ray version simultaneously with the DVD which was released weeks ago?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ufarn posted:

And what is the reason they aren't releasing the Blu-ray version simultaneously with the DVD which was released weeks ago?

Amazon says the DVD and Blu Ray will be released on Janury 5, 2010.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
My friend made me watch a few episodes of Samurai Jack and got me hooked. It's such a neat cartoon.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Mister Prostitute posted:

My friend made me watch a few episodes of Samurai Jack and got me hooked. It's such a neat cartoon.

RIP Mako

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

LorneReams posted:

RIP Mako

Godammit don't remind me :cry:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Hello Pity posted:

In terms of tone and content it's fairly close to Cracker (the original UK one). Which, if you haven't seen is absolutely top-notch TV (as is most of Jimmy McGovern's stuff) and in my opinion a far superior show. Definitely worth a binge if you like dark serial killer type stuff. One of those shows where the 'good' guys are almost as hosed up and disfunctional as the killers they're tracking down.

I just started in on this and it's a very engaging show. I was kind of put off by the long form of each episode because I was expecting a more traditional get in get out procedural but the extra time helps to get in the mindset of the crime and criminal. Even after decades of psychologically themed procedural shows it still managed to keep me entertained despite the long running time. And so far I've really liked the characterization of Fitz and Panhandle and how he uses her as a prop during interrogations. Great stuff.

thingfromtheswamp
Feb 25, 2009
Watched National Geographic's Apocalypse: The Second World War which uses footage (some colorized) from WWII and I thought it was one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. No, there's nothing startlingly new but the footage puts you right into the atmosphere of the time. One show where I can't wait to get the DVD.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I just finished the final season of Brotherhood. I know that it's often compared to The Sopranos or The Wire and doesn't fare so well in comparison to either, but taken by itself I thought it was an excellent show. It also benefits from being substantially shorter than either of the other series, making it a quicker watch.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My trouble is I'm getting too busy now to binge on shows like I would like to. I've got all of Carnivale, all of Rome, all of The Black Donnellys, a few seasons of Oz, a few seasons of The Shield, first two seasons of Mad Men, first season of BSG in HD-DVD on my shelf but I dont want to watch 2 or 3 episodes and then have to leave them for 3 or 4 weeks.

Before I got married and went back to school, I burned through all 3 seasons of Deadwood in about a week. I bought the first 4 seasons of Lost for cheap and watched all of them in about a month. I would literally watch like 6 episodes a night till I got done. Especially Deadwood. God that show is awesome.

Now, I just sit on my couch looking at all these unwatched TV shows begging for my attention. I want to watch you, shows! I do. But my job, homework, and a wife pull my attention.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Ratatozsk posted:

I just finished the final season of Brotherhood. I know that it's often compared to The Sopranos or The Wire and doesn't fare so well in comparison to either, but taken by itself I thought it was an excellent show. It also benefits from being substantially shorter than either of the other series, making it a quicker watch.

Brotherhood deserves more love. I'd even go as far as to say the Season One finale is one of the best executed television twists of all time.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

oldpainless posted:

But my job, homework, and a wife pull my attention.

Make your wife do your homework for you. It ties her up and frees you up for precious DVD time. Problem solved!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

JustV posted:

Brotherhood deserves more love. I'd even go as far as to say the Season One finale is one of the best executed television twists of all time.

The sad thing is that a total of 7 people watched it. I only found out about it because they threw two episodes on the last disk of Dexter, Season 1 to preview. For a Peabody Award winning show, it stay remarkably under the radar.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Ratatozsk posted:

The sad thing is that a total of 7 people watched it. I only found out about it because they threw two episodes on the last disk of Dexter, Season 1 to preview. For a Peabody Award winning show, it stay remarkably under the radar.

I watched it when season 1 first premiered on Showtime, and it really didn't hold my interest. I just didn't care very much about any of the characters or what happened to them. Recently I got Netflix, and noticed seasons 1 and 2 were on their instant watch so I gave it another shot. I enjoyed it a lot more than when I first saw it, but I still wouldn't call it one of my favorites. I still don't have any great urge to run out and get season 3, but if they put it up on Netflix, I'll watch it.

I'd call it a good show, but not great.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

1967-1970 run of Dragnet.

I also have some of the 51-59 run (which is all public domain now) on DVD somewhere.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Jedi posted:

I watched it when season 1 first premiered on Showtime, and it really didn't hold my interest. I just didn't care very much about any of the characters or what happened to them. Recently I got Netflix, and noticed seasons 1 and 2 were on their instant watch so I gave it another shot. I enjoyed it a lot more than when I first saw it, but I still wouldn't call it one of my favorites. I still don't have any great urge to run out and get season 3, but if they put it up on Netflix, I'll watch it.

I'd call it a good show, but not great.

Season 3 of Brotherhood wasn't all that great in my opinion. I thought it really was pretty special near the end of S1 and beginning of S2 though and regardless found the whole span of the first two seasons to be entertaining viewing.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

Season 3 of Brotherhood wasn't all that great in my opinion. I thought it really was pretty special near the end of S1 and beginning of S2 though and regardless found the whole span of the first two seasons to be entertaining viewing.

So regarding season 3, why did Tommy ask Decco to start up the investigation in the first place? Did he really expect him to not turn anything up or not pursue any leads connected to him, or am I missing something?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Ape Agitator posted:

I didn't mean to give the wrong idea - I enjoyed it. It's just not something I'd go out of my way to watch.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Jedi posted:

I didn't mean to give the wrong idea - I enjoyed it. It's just not something I'd go out of my way to watch.

Nah, I think we're on the same page about the series.

Ratatozsk posted:

So regarding season 3, why did Tommy ask Decco to start up the investigation in the first place? Did he really expect him to not turn anything up or not pursue any leads connected to him, or am I missing something?

If memory serves me right, I don't think he feels like he has any real exposure in the whole mess and that Declan isn't necessarily going to be supercop enough to do anything that might harm him. If I'm remembering correctly he gets him started on this like it means he is totally supporting a "go anywhere" investigation but doesn't really help him much after that point. I think he figures that if everyone's hands are dirtier than his than he won't get targeted. And given that his political futures keep spiraling down the bowl he might not care about the dirt getting kicked up so much. I'm a bit hazy but that's my recollection.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Ape Agitator posted:

If memory serves me right, I don't think he feels like he has any real exposure in the whole mess and that Declan isn't necessarily going to be supercop enough to do anything that might harm him. If I'm remembering correctly he gets him started on this like it means he is totally supporting a "go anywhere" investigation but doesn't really help him much after that point. I think he figures that if everyone's hands are dirtier than his than he won't get targeted. And given that his political futures keep spiraling down the bowl he might not care about the dirt getting kicked up so much. I'm a bit hazy but that's my recollection.

If I remember right, it also starts off because the Speaker wants Tommy to get rid of some minor representative in the house who is obviously corrupt and can't play the game; the investigation just ends up snowballing into something greater as Declan doesn't stop once he's caught the small fish.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
So I just finished season 1 of Mad Men. It's amazing how fast you can blow through a series when you watch it in-between studying.

One of my friends has always told me how great it is but I had no idea it was depressing as gently caress. Jesus Christ, Peggy was loving PREGNANT?! Also the late 50's / early 60's were loving horrible apparently. I've never really cared for romance in a series before (I'm about to sound like a little girl) but Betty is loving gorgeous and has been treated like poo poo so far. Pete is a dick and I wish death on him. Honestly every character has done something monumentally retarded. It reminds me of BSG for this reason alone.

But holy poo poo if seasons 2 & 3 can keep this up, then I'll love the hell out of this show!

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Kilonum posted:

1967-1970 run of Dragnet.

I also have some of the 51-59 run (which is all public domain now) on DVD somewhere.

One of the local UHF stations has been running old Dragnet and Adam-12 episodes, and they're usually pretty good for a laugh, both intentional and unintentional. drat hippies all over the place.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Johnny B. Goode posted:

So I just finished season 1 of Mad Men. It's amazing how fast you can blow through a series when you watch it in-between studying.

One of my friends has always told me how great it is but I had no idea it was depressing as gently caress. Jesus Christ, Peggy was loving PREGNANT?! Also the late 50's / early 60's were loving horrible apparently. I've never really cared for romance in a series before (I'm about to sound like a little girl) but Betty is loving gorgeous and has been treated like poo poo so far. Pete is a dick and I wish death on him. Honestly every character has done something monumentally retarded. It reminds me of BSG for this reason alone.

But holy poo poo if seasons 2 & 3 can keep this up, then I'll love the hell out of this show!
They keep this up. :) In fact, they're even better.

I just started season 1 of Sons of Anarchy and I'm addicted. It is SO HARD to stay out of the Season 2 thread, though.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Rabbit Hill posted:

I just started season 1 of Sons of Anarchy and I'm addicted. It is SO HARD to stay out of the Season 2 thread, though.

Don't you dare give in to temptation because watching the series unfurl with no idea of the destination is one of the greatest parts of it. The whole thing is so on edge and take no prisoners that you're :ohdear: the entire time.

Useless Rabbit
Jan 27, 2009

I've been plowing through Wire in the Blood via Netflix streaming. Really excellent show, and I'm surprised it was never remade here in the US.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Useless Rabbit posted:

I've been plowing through Wire in the Blood via Netflix streaming. Really excellent show, and I'm surprised it was never remade here in the US.

The first couple of series are really good, but after that it devolves into just another boring police procedural.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Ape Agitator posted:

Don't you dare give in to temptation because watching the series unfurl with no idea of the destination is one of the greatest parts of it. The whole thing is so on edge and take no prisoners that you're :ohdear: the entire time.
Yes sir! :patriot:

Gah, I'm kicking myself for not watching this as it aired last year, just to see people's comments on all the exciting poo poo that's gone down just in the first seven episodes (where I am now, Netflix cannot come fast enough). And do people love Tig? I love Tig. :allears:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rabbit Hill posted:

And do people love Tig? I love Tig. :allears:

Tig loves anything with a pulse. Or without a pulse, come to that.

Virtuality
Mar 21, 2008

by T. Finn
Starting Space: Above And Beyond. Marines in space! Aliens! I really hope it isn't super awful. Its a cheesy judging from the two parter pilot that I saw but nothing I couldn't put up with in order to see space Marines fighting aliens to save earth.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Just finished Six Feet Under. Had to buy a new box of kleenex after that certain someone's funeral. The finale was nice, but I had heard that it was *special* so maybe I had too high of hopes for it.

Next on the list is Generation Kill. After that, maybe the Wire? Or Dexter? Is Dexter funny at all? I could use a comedy.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
No Dexter is not a comedy. If you want comedy: Curb your enthusiasm, Its always sunny in Philadelphia, 30 rock.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I'm currently halfway through season 2 of Mad Men, and I'm getting pissed off at virtually all of the characters. Don's a loving dumbass for chasing that creepy old woman. Betty is nearly insane (though beautiful), and Peggy is annoying as gently caress. This poo poo with Betty making Don stay away from the house is also angering and I hope it gets resolved soon.

This is like Desperate Housewives for men.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rapsey posted:

No Dexter is not a comedy. If you want comedy: Curb your enthusiasm, Its always sunny in Philadelphia, 30 rock.

Doakes is like pure comedy. He makes me laugh more than any of those other shows combined.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Doakes is like pure comedy.

2nding this. Dexter is not a comedy, but it has its fair share of humorous moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Finished watching season 2 of Chuck at the behest of goons, and ...

... holy loving Christ an atrocity. The first half or third of the season seemed cool enough, but what's with the filler episodes, the rear end-pulls, McGuffins and back and forth BS with Sarah and Chuck that is going to keep going, as long as there's a chance of another season, like they're doing with Bones. Casey was horribly two-dimensional and out of character compared to season 1, and Sarah shifting from robotic CIA lapdog overruling Chuck to loving him and risking whatnot for him, her own life and career.

I don't know what happened to the writing; it's one thing that they don't know what to do with the plot (do they seriously only plan one season at a time?), but the season lacked enthusiasm and meticulousness on the writers' part which is particularly evident in the filler episodes whose only content seemed to perpetuate the yo-yo relationship between Sarah and Chuck; mostly by Chuck finding other suitors by Sarah or having his trust in her challenged.

It's gone all Alias-Prison Break-Bones in one season, and I don't mean that in a good way. I wish I could summon more anticipation for season 3, but I find it hard; it's just a good thing the show has Yvonne Strahovski.

Does the writers' strike have anything to do with this, or what the heck happened? The whole set-up seems so incredibly weird, particularly considering the preceding season. I've read that the show faced cancellation, but I don't know if it was a cause of or reaction to the weird season. As aforementioned, if anyone has the scoop, I'd like to know.